Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-04-2011   #1
Ndevine7
All Pro

Rep Power: 273 Ndevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Interesting article

I don't know if it has been posted but i came across this on ESPN.com

With J.J. Watt and Brooks Reed joining Mario Williams and Antonio Smith, the Houston Texans suddenly find themselves with an abundance of defensive end/linebacker types, but still have no true nose tackle. Although new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips is best known for running a 3-4 defense, will the Texans' personnel lend itself to more of a 4-3 style?

Phillips himself says he'd be comfortable with such a move. He tells Albert Breer of the NFL Network that he used the 3-4 when he was with the Buffalo Bills, until the team suffered a rash of linebacker injuries. "And so we played a 4-3 against Miami, and beat them, and then we went back to the 3-4 when we got healthy," Phillips said. "It's the players you have and how you play. It's not 3-4 or 4-3."

Breer says the key question for the defense is this: How best to use Mario Williams?

"My guess is that the first priority for Phillips is figuring how to deploy Williams down-to-down and building around that plan, much like he did with DeMarcus Ware in Dallas," Breer writes. "Could that lead to playing some 4-3 alignments? Perhaps."
Old 05-04-2011   #2
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Interesting article

I agree that the NT will be a much discussed position. Got a link?
Old 05-04-2011   #3
Ndevine7
All Pro

Rep Power: 273 Ndevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I agree that the NT will be a much discussed position. Got a link?
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors
my bad
Old 05-04-2011   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I find the following interesting:

1. We're not sure we have a true NT to play the 3-4.
2. We're not sure we have two true DTs to play the 4-3.

LOL
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #5
Ndevine7
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

LOL
If Okoye stays he is an option for 4-3 DT as Watt can move in there as well. Smith can move there on passing downs, while we still have mitchell and cody so i believe we do have options for a 4-3 but i dont know if we have the LB to play a 4-3 because i dont see Barwin/Reed being a 4-3 OLB
Old 05-04-2011   #6
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

LOL
I would say that #2 was immaterial, but since Phillip's 3-4 looks a lot like a 4-3 in certain situations, that's a valid point. It's particulary irksome when you consider the ^&(&^%$##&^*() draft picks spent on DL the last 5 &&%^$#%&* years.
Old 05-04-2011   #7
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndevine7 View Post
If Okoye stays he is an option for 4-3 DT as Watt can move in there as well. Smith can move there on passing downs, while we still have mitchell and cody so i believe we do have options for a 4-3 but i dont know if we have the LB to play a 4-3 because i dont see Barwin/Reed being a 4-3 OLB
Okoye better play his ass off if he wants to prove he's an option. So far he hasn't and we were running a 4-3.
The NT position is going to boil down to how much the coaches can sell the scheme. If the can convince Smith and Mitchell that their athleticism can produce, it might work. If not, there's a lot of history/truth to the adage that you need a big, fat guy to plug up the middle.
Sponsored links
Old 05-04-2011   #8
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I would say that #2 was immaterial, but since Phillip's 3-4 looks a lot like a 4-3 in certain situations, that's a valid point. It's particulary irksome when you consider the ^&(&^%$##&^*() draft picks spent on DL the last 5 &&%^$#%&* years.
I remember seeing something to this extent this offseason. I wouldn't be able to tell you where I saw it though.

Sounds like this defense may end up giving more 4-3 looks this season than a 3-4.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #9
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
I remember seeing something to this extent this offseason. I wouldn't be able to tell you where I saw it though.

Sounds like this defense may end up giving more 4-3 looks this season than a 3-4.
Phillips uses a lot of fronts in his scheme. Everything is designed to keep the O reacting to you instead of dictating to you.
Old 05-05-2011   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

LOL
It's the new Donut defense. It's got a big hole in the middle and it donut stop anything.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Phillips uses the defense that works best for the defensive players he's got.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read