Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-04-2011   #1
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Scouting director breaks down the draft

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...6-252c6c656a08

Really good piece on the HT.com website.

Quote:
Strahm said that there were a few key traits that Phillips was looking for in his players.

“He wanted guys that are first of all athletic, number one, and number two – and I think this is a great, great point – is production,” Strahm said. “Is he productive? You know, guys come in different packages, but… is he a productive football player? Is he explosive? Does he have a motor? Is he athletic? Can he bend? Can he run? Can he get off blocks? Can he make plays in space? When you get down to the fundamentals of it, you’re looking for certain characteristics at a position, and our defensive staff with Wade leading our troops is very aggressive – get after their tail, be explosive, play hard, never stop coming, never stop giving up. It’s exciting for us.”
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Scouting director breaks down the draft

zero off the field issues with all of them, clean & green

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think "Passion for football" was a key.

And I think its smart, because if we have a lockout some of these guys are going to need other income sources and will be forced to walk away. We want guys who will be excited to come back
Old 05-05-2011   #4
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40550 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Good article. I would also like to hear what they don't like about each player. I know it's probably not a good idea to mention it, but I also would have liked to known what other players they were considering at those spots.

I would have like to known if they preferred Aldon Smith over Watt, and why they passed on Fairley & Quinn.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #5
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Good stuff, pumped for sure.

I like this last bit, ‘If you’re green, you’re grown, and if you’re ripe, you’re rotten'

Old 05-05-2011   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Does anyone remember when we first hired Kubiak? We could immediately tell the offense would have some improvement just by hearing Gary talk about the offense and it did - even with HWNSNBM under center. We even had multiple 100 yard rushing games!!!

Well I'm getting that same thought from the new defensive coaches. You can hear the difference in how they go about their business and you can tell they know what they are talking about.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I think "Passion for football" was a key.

And I think its smart, because if we have a lockout some of these guys are going to need other income sources and will be forced to walk away. We want guys who will be excited to come back
I totally agree with this. We've got some guys on this team that, I wouldn't call lazy.... but they lack the passion that is required to make them elite. In following the prospects this past college season and during all the pre-draft business, I always gravitated towards the guys that play 110% and have a great work ethic... the ones that love to play and never let up. That's what we need more of on this team - the blue collar type of guys.

Cush and Barwin are those kind of guys. Demeco is that kind of guy. Now Watt, Reed and Keo are those type of guys. When you're surrounded my more teammates like these guys, it pushes you. This will really rub off on our other players because these are the kind of guys that will hold you accountable. People may be saying Wade is soft, this or that... but the attitude on this defense has changed dramatically over the last year or so and it's only going to continue to improve.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-05-2011   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Most of it was meh, but I liked what he said of Keo.

Quote:
This guy, he doesn’t know what it is not to hit somebody. Probably if he was in the lunch room, he’ll probably knock somebody over
Quote:
He’s got what we call ‘body shock’ when he hits you. It’s like a fighter: A lot of guys can throw a punch, but a real champion knocks you out. Well, this guy’s got that knockout punch about him
Old 05-05-2011   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Good article. I would also like to hear what they don't like about each player. I know it's probably not a good idea to mention it, but I also would have liked to known what other players they were considering at those spots.

I would have like to known if they preferred Aldon Smith over Watt, and why they passed on Fairley & Quinn.
So you'd be okay with me telling the MB "I hired old Dream Team but I really preferred Billy Bob cause he is much smarter and has a much better work ethic. I think Dream Team is going to be with us a long while IF we can coach him up. Take George Samson, now that guy really can use a computer and even remains after go home time to do extra work and Dream Team..well let's just say he enjoys banker hours. D.T. is a bit over weight and really needs to spend some time with our strength coach and the kid should not have taken the Wonder Lick (as he called it). He said some stupid things in the interview but hey (as Charlie Casserly says) we had an opening and until someone better comes along, we got Dream Team.

I guess I can see why they choose not to do that.
Old 05-05-2011   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

One of my favorite parts, re. Watt:

Quote:
He’s supposed to go to this school, and he goes to another school, and that coach gets fired, and he goes to another school and he walks on. He works so hard in spring practice he immediately earns a scholarship. I like those kind of kids that are lunch-pail kids. They’re not privileged to anything. They’ve got to fight and scratch and claw to get where they were. And he took that talent, he took that work ethic and made himself an All-American and a first-round draft pick. I just love his work ethic and motor. This guy plays full speed regardless of whatever he’s doing. He could be eating, it’s full speed. He probably sleeps full speed. He’s a great pick for us.”
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #11
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40550 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
So you'd be okay with me telling the MB "I hired old Dream Team but I really preferred Billy Bob cause he is much smarter and has a much better work ethic. I think Dream Team is going to be with us a long while IF we can coach him up. Take George Samson, now that guy really can use a computer and even remains after go home time to do extra work and Dream Team..well let's just say he enjoys banker hours. D.T. is a bit over weight and really needs to spend some time with our strength coach and the kid should not have taken the Wonder Lick (as he called it). He said some stupid things in the interview but hey (as Charlie Casserly says) we had an opening and until someone better comes along, we got Dream Team.

I guess I can see why they choose not to do that.
Exactly what I want to know! Haha. Yeah, I understand why they didn't mention it, but it's stuff I do wanna know.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #12
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Another thing to consider, is that no coach, GM, or scout is going to admit anything less than excitement after the draft.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #13
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Another note on this draft now that I just got back in town:
The secondary guys (Harris - Miami, Carmichael - VT, Keo- Idaho) all came from schools with the same coverage scheme that Wade employs: Pattern matching.

Jackson (Alabama - under Saban) and LB Sharpton (Miami) also came from this principle.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #14
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Another note on this draft now that I just got back in town:
The secondary guys (Harris - Miami, Carmichael - VT, Keo- Idaho) all came from schools with the same coverage scheme that Wade employs: Pattern matching.

Jackson (Alabama - under Saban) and LB Sharpton (Miami) also came from this principle.
That is interesting. I appreciate (as I am sure many others do) the work you do analyzing schemes and plays.

If you get the time, would you mind watching some Keo tape and letting us know about his coverage ability? I was not impressed, and it is the only thing holding me back from loving the pick.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #15
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
That is interesting. I appreciate (as I am sure many others do) the work you do analyzing schemes and plays.

If you get the time, would you mind watching some Keo tape and letting us know about his coverage ability? I was not impressed, and it is the only thing holding me back from loving the pick.
Roger that. REP sent.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #16
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been reviewing some tapes and should have some thing to report soon.
I think I like the pick.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I totally agree with this. We've got some guys on this team that, I wouldn't call lazy.... but they lack the passion that is required to make them elite. In following the prospects this past college season and during all the pre-draft business, I always gravitated towards the guys that play 110% and have a great work ethic... the ones that love to play and never let up. That's what we need more of on this team - the blue collar type of guys.

Cush and Barwin are those kind of guys. Demeco is that kind of guy. Now Watt, Reed and Keo are those type of guys. When you're surrounded my more teammates like these guys, it pushes you. This will really rub off on our other players because these are the kind of guys that will hold you accountable. People may be saying Wade is soft, this or that... but the attitude on this defense has changed dramatically over the last year or so and it's only going to continue to improve.
Agreed, More blue collar guys are needed.

What attitude has changed over the last yr on defense? The defense was historically bad vs the pass last yr and nobody knows how they're going to fare coming off a lockout shortened offseason. While incorporating a whole new scheme. That is being installed by a DC that as HC ha a historically bad Cowgirls defense last yr. Have Wades AC's gotten smarter or developed a better plan than they did with the Cowgirls last yr?

I'm happy with the change too, but my optimism is somewhat tempered with the setbacks of putting in a new defense in a lockout offseason and the fact that Wades Cowgirls defense stunk last yr.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #18
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...6-252c6c656a08

Really good piece on the HT.com website.
Good read, thanks for posting that.
Old 05-07-2011   #19
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Agreed, More blue collar guys are needed.

What attitude has changed over the last yr on defense? The defense was historically bad vs the pass last yr and nobody knows how they're going to fare coming off a lockout shortened offseason. While incorporating a whole new scheme. That is being installed by a DC that as HC ha a historically bad Cowgirls defense last yr. Have Wades AC's gotten smarter or developed a better plan than they did with the Cowgirls last yr?

I'm happy with the change too, but my optimism is somewhat tempered with the setbacks of putting in a new defense in a lockout offseason and the fact that Wades Cowgirls defense stunk last yr.
Dom Caper's defense stunk while he was the HC with us and I don't think you'll hear too many complaints from the faithful in GB. All of the lockout concerns are valid but trying to overshadow Phillip's career resume with a horrible 7 game streak where his team gave up on him is silly.
Old 05-15-2011   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I just read the article. This:
Quote:
our defensive staff with Wade leading our troops is very aggressive – get after their tail, be explosive, play hard, never stop coming, never stop giving up. It’s exciting for us.”
Sounds very familiar. I remember Richard Smith saying similar things. Frank Bush as well. In fact, that is exactly how I would describe our 2009 defense from week 5 through week 16.

But something happened in 2010..... they got way too conservative, put their play-makers on their heels, reading, watching, reacting, instead of being aggressive & making things happen.

I don't know if that was our DC's nature to play ultra conservative back then to cover some perceived deficiency, or if that was Gary's conservative nature taking over. If it were the later, I hope Wade has the gnads to die by the sword & stay aggressive until they figure it out.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read