Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-01-2011   #1
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37668 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Why all the New England Love?

I don't get why New England is getting so much love for their draft? I think they did decent, but alot of experts are thinking they're draft was brilliant. I just don't get it?

They went heavy on the offensive side of the ball, but that's not where they need help.

They already have BJGE, Woodhead, and Faulk at RB, but they use a 2nd & 3rd on more RBs? I understand Vereen, but Ridley? BJGE has a similar running style, and he just came off a great season!

Everyone is loving the Mallet pick, except me. Unless they know that Brady is going to retire early in the next couple of years... I just don't really get it. Do they really expect Mallet to be patient and wait his turn? Remember, Aaron Rodgers had to finally put his foot down for GB to make a decision on him or Favre. I can see Mallet doing the same thing in a few years. The difference is Brady will be 37, and will probably want to play another season.

Solder was just a so-so pick. In the first round, ideally you want to get a starter... but Solder probably won't start his rookie season.

The only pick I liked was Dowling.

You can claim they're making moves for the future... but I don't think that's smart. Make moves to win now, while you still have Tom Brady!
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #2
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why all the New England Love?

I agree. Was an average draft at best. If you were gonna take a rb, take the best (Ingram) they get cute and trade and trade.
Old 05-01-2011   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217952 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Their draft was very good - they cam eaway with a top tier OL , CB and a good OLB in the first three rounds - Also got one of the top QB prospects , keeping that player away from a division rival (Miami) who could turn out to be their QB of the future .... Add in a 1st and 2nd rounder for next years draft and they were impressive as usual. Very good draft.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #4
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

The reason their draft get's praised is because they contend for a Super Bowl every year. Not contend like the Texans do, but actually make a serious attempt to win the whole thing every year. And they've been very good at doing that primarily through the draft over the past 10 years or so. That is why they rightfully get all the love.
Old 05-01-2011   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Their draft was very good - they cam eaway with a top tier OL , CB and a good OLB in the first three rounds
The Pats didn't take a OLB until the 6th round. Markell Carter of Central Arkansas.

Belichick will probably turn him into a Pro Bowler.
Old 05-01-2011   #6
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35954 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Ross Tucker on Sirius NFL Radio, was actually bashing the Pats draft. He said that he ranked them at the bottom for this years draft. And he aslo mentioned for all the trading down, he hasn't really hit on many draft picks. I think he said they have only hit on Volmer and Mcourty and that is about it.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #7
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Ross Tucker was actually bashing the Pats draft. He said that he ranked them at the bottom for this years draft.
I believe the Pats got good players. But with all of those extra picks, it seems to me they could have moved up for an impact player. The Pats could have afforded to make that move up for a Julio Jones. If you go back to the loss to the Jets in the divisional round, it was the lack of a playmaker that stymied the Pats offense. They still don't have that guy. They could have got him in this draft.
Old 05-02-2011   #8
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 77507 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I believe the Pats got good players. But with all of those extra picks, it seems to me they could have moved up for an impact player. The Pats could have afforded to make that move up for a Julio Jones. If you go back to the loss to the Jets in the divisional round, it was the lack of a playmaker that stymied the Pats offense. They still don't have that guy. They could have got him in this draft.

Maybe we could get those two ones and two twos for AJ.

Old 05-02-2011   #9
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

They are stockpiling picks to move up and take Brady's replacement, Andrew Luck. . 2 #1 and 2 #2s might do.
Old 05-02-2011   #10
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
They are stockpiling picks to move up and take Brady's replacement, Andrew Luck. . 2 #1 and 2 #2s might do.
Could be. That would make me sick. I almost want us to win 1 game next year for him. He looks every bit the Hall of Fame qb. Maybe I'm crazy, but that's how I see it.
Old 05-02-2011   #11
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

They'll sell Mallet in 3-4 years for a first
Old 05-02-2011   #12
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

They get all the love b/c of the northeast bias of the major media markets & b/c they are constantly stockpiling draft picks for the next year.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #13
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Good thinking, but no team will give up Luck for any asking price. Franchise QB's are worth their weight in gold.

I think the Pats did OK. I dont think their fans are very happy with passing on players every year to stockpile more picks.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #14
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Pats should get an "A" every year for the draft, because regardless of who they choose, they end up turning out to be excellent players. I dont even need to see what they did in the draft. Even the trade where they voluntarily moved back 1 spot is a winner somehow
Old 05-02-2011   #15
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I don't get why New England is getting so much love for their draft? I think they did decent, but alot of experts are thinking they're draft was brilliant. I just don't get it?

They went heavy on the offensive side of the ball, but that's not where they need help.

They already have BJGE, Woodhead, and Faulk at RB, but they use a 2nd & 3rd on more RBs? I understand Vereen, but Ridley? BJGE has a similar running style, and he just came off a great season!

Everyone is loving the Mallet pick, except me. Unless they know that Brady is going to retire early in the next couple of years... I just don't really get it. Do they really expect Mallet to be patient and wait his turn? Remember, Aaron Rodgers had to finally put his foot down for GB to make a decision on him or Favre. I can see Mallet doing the same thing in a few years. The difference is Brady will be 37, and will probably want to play another season.

Solder was just a so-so pick. In the first round, ideally you want to get a starter... but Solder probably won't start his rookie season.

The only pick I liked was Dowling.

You can claim they're making moves for the future... but I don't think that's smart. Make moves to win now, while you still have Tom Brady!
Where is NE getting all of this love from?? Personally I hated their draft and have wondered if BB was kidnapped or something, I've scratched my head so much about it. Worst draft I've seen out of the Patriots in years, of course I could be proven wrong as well, so who knows.

BB has been great over the years at collecting all of these picks and raping teams with picks and all, but at the end of the day he has yet to make any big splashes with all of these picks like I had hoped for or expected he would. That team's defense is young and getting better and better, but he didn't fill the hole as far as needing a dominant pass rusher in the draft, that's for sure and he had all of those picks to do it. Once again he makes these trades collecting all of these picks for next year. I'd say at this point he needs to ANTE UP and start doing more drafting and selecting instead of "pick collecting" for next year.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

New England Love: Explanation

They win.
Old 05-02-2011   #17
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24723 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Peter King was pretty critical of the Patriots in his MMQB column, so there are some people that are not big on their choices. I think a lot of what people like about it is potential. They set themselves up with extra first and second round picks next year. They drafted two players (Mallett and Cannon) that are first-round talents, but slipped way down due to non-playing concerns - if either of them ends up close to their 1st round potential, they will have gotten a steal, either for themselves or for later trading. A lot of people feel that the Pats can compete just as well even without new players (I don't think this is true, though - I think the Pats might be slipping more than they realize), so they didn't need to get anyone specific, and came out well by preparing themselves for next year (again...). They have the luxury of gambling like that, while teams that need to get a lot better don't.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #18
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 136288 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
They get all the love b/c of the northeast bias of the major media markets & b/c they are constantly stockpiling draft picks for the next year.
Hammer meet nail.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #19
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 77507 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe they are delaying making high picks until the rookie wage scale comes into effect.

Old 05-02-2011   #20
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

I think because ESPN and analysts like to say that BB and the Pats are so good at drafting, they automatically assume he knows something everyone else doesn't and that all his picks are gems.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read