Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-01-2011   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Anger of the Fan

...........will actually only become truly apparent as to intensity the longer the lockout continues. The anger has been blunted so far by fans having to look forward to a specific time/event........the NFL Draft. There is no tangible time now to look forward to. Initially, the anger may be more concentrated on the owners for calling the lockout. But this will quickly change if/as the lockout becomes extended. The anger of the fans will be equally borne by the owners and the players..............there will be no favorites.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Anger of the Fan

I don't know...

I think that a lot of fans will be pissed at the owners because they got they have fought so hard to keep the lock-out going...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217165 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't know...

I think that a lot of fans will be pissed at the owners because they got they have fought so hard to keep the lock-out going...
This is where I am, I think. At the end of the day, the players want to work while they negotiate behind the scenes. The owners are the ones putting a halt to things and ensuring everything happens in the media. Millionaire players that are too stupid with money to live off their millions but want to work > billionaire jackasses that make their billions off the backs of taxpayers paying for the stadium and TV deals.
Old 05-01-2011   #4
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
...........will actually only become truly apparent as to intensity the longer the lockout continues. The anger has been blunted so far by fans having to look forward to a specific time/event........the NFL Draft. There is no tangible time now to look forward to. Initially, the anger may be more concentrated on the owners for calling the lockout. But this will quickly change if/as the lockout becomes extended. The anger of the fans will be equally borne by the owners and the players..............there will be no favorites.
I don't think there will be a lot of anger until August. Most fans don't really follow OTAs anyway. Fans are used to showing interest in August when training camp and the preseason games start up. They usually begin to get excited about the team around then. While diehard football fans care about the draft, FA, OTAs, etc, most football fans tune out after the superbowl until August.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't know...

I think that fans at one point will feel that if the players really wanted to end the stalemate, they would find some compromise that would satisfy the owners. In the end this will happen anyway. Right now the players have been in many ways fanning the flames. I stand on the fact that the longer there is no football (no OTAs, TCs, preseason games or regular season games to give us something to talk about and "debate) and the longer the impasse is not lifted, you will see fans solidly chanting, "A pox on both of your houses."
Old 05-01-2011   #6
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

They need to at least make an exception for UDFAs. Because coming up is the UFL draft, and it will hurt the NFL if they get their hands on the top undrafted prospects.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
They need to at least make an exception for UDFAs. Because coming up is the UFL draft, and it will hurt the NFL if they get their hands on the top undrafted prospects.
I believe that any player signed to a UFL contract (including an UDFA), the UFL must void that contract if the player is offered a contract with the NFL.
Sponsored links
Old 05-01-2011   #8
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I believe that any player signed to a UFL contract (including an UDFA), the UFL must void that contract if the player is offered a contract with the NFL.
Ah, that makes some sense. Thanks for that.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

If we can get a month for trades and free agency signings, I'd be okay. I think both are being greedy but the owners already get one billion dollars off top before any profit sharing with players and want another. Sheesh. Eric Winston said players just wanted to keep the percentage they get now. I think McNair feels the owners gave up way too much last CBA and he might be right but getting something back you already gave is tough. Ask Ford, GM, Chrysler and many young women.
Old 05-01-2011   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If we can get a month for trades and free agency signings, I'd be okay. I think both are being greedy but the owners already get one billion dollars off top before any profit sharing with players and want another. Sheesh. Eric Winston said players just wanted to keep the percentage they get now. I think McNair feels the owners gave up way too much last CBA and he might be right but getting something back you already gave is tough. Ask Ford, GM, Chrysler and many young women.
One month sounds like a long time. But it is not all that long to shop, haggle and sign...........especially since there's been no opportunity to have signed those still desireable to be resigned (eg., Vonta), reassess performance of existing players or draftees (which would not have been signed either), or assess system (which has not been installed yet) needs in real time.

The Texans are very likely to suffer more than other teams the longer the players and coaches are not allowed to familiarize themselves with the new system.
Old 05-01-2011   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
One month sounds like a long time. But it is not all that long to shop, haggle and sign...........especially since there's been no opportunity to have signed those still desireable to be resigned (eg., Vonta), reassess performance of existing players or draftees (which would not have been signed either), or assess system (which has not been installed yet) needs in real time.

The Texans are very likely to suffer more than other teams the longer the players and coaches are not allowed to familiarize themselves with the new system.
I'd prefer two weeks as it would force owners and player to get with it. Players would not have as much time to play GMs against each other and owners would have to get down & dirty & bring the best offer to table quickly.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read