Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-18-2005   #41
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
This is a good idea . I think this may be the last shot at being the 2nd RB .
Giving Wells the majority of the work this pre-season would also keep DD fresh for the opener . Wells taking the starting position from DD is just not going to happen . The main reason Wells is still a Texan is that he excells on special teams , this will keep him around the league for quite a few seasons to come .

For those of you complaining about DD's durability issues ..... only 8 backs in the whole of the NFL had more carries last season , only one had more pass receptions . Only 5 backs with 300 or more carries played in 16 games last year . Of the 8 backs with 300+ carries DD and Curtis Martin had the fewest fumbles (2) , all the others had at least 4 ........so you guy's can prepare for another season of complaining about DD . He'll be the starter come opening day.
ummm....DD had quite a case of fumble-itis early last year...4 fumbles, four lost. I haven't checked the rest of the stats yet.
Old 04-18-2005   #42
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to agree with herv an gr8....

Wells has Eddie George body but doesn't use it...

I stand by my statement. IMO ..Wells was shell shocked behind our line in 2002.. He still doesn't have confidence in that...He doesn't hit the holes with authority like he should... If he would run like DD (fall forward and keep legs churning) ...i'd be as happy as a pig in slop...

Again as Herv...stated.. Wells isn't going to be a franchise back, and in my eyes DD isn't going to be either... Why? because Franchise backs make a defense change their gameplan when the running gets going... Way it is....(I got to go with Vinny's take) ....Defenses double on AJ and let the front 7 handle DD
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #43
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I would think that 50% of the offense going through Davis means that the defenses are geared towards DD and tempting someone other than him or Johnson to beat them. With Johnson doubled all the time, that leaves 7-9 defenders to knock the snot out of DD. I have to question Wells' desire at this point.RB in the NFL is ROUGH to say the least. If he doesn't want to take(or deliver) the hits, maybe he should volunteer for full time special teams like Bill Bates of the Cowboys or Steve Tasker and let another back get in the mix.
Old 04-18-2005   #44
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
Wells isn't going to be a franchise back, and in my eyes DD isn't going to be either... Why? because Franchise backs make a defense change their gameplan when the running gets going...
OK this is the third time I will make this point (and maybe the last, then again, maybe not), maybe someone will provide a counter this time. Between the starting RB and #1 WR someone will always be better. AJ is not just good, he is freakishly elite. The only limitation on his stats are how good the OL and QB behind him are. The obvious result (well obvious IMO) is he will always be the focus of the defense so the idea that the RB is not good/franchise, whatever term you want to use, because the D doesn't shift its focus to the RB is just silly.
Old 04-18-2005   #45
DocBar
Hall of Fame

UNCLE!!!!!!! You have proven your point!!!!! LOL
Old 04-18-2005   #46
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
OK this is the third time I will make this point (and maybe the last, then again, maybe not), maybe someone will provide a counter this time. Between the starting RB and #1 WR someone will always be better. AJ is not just good, he is freakishly elite. The only limitation on his stats are how good the OL and QB behind him are. The obvious result (well obvious IMO) is he will always be the focus of the defense so the idea that the RB is not good/franchise, whatever term you want to use, because the D doesn't shift its focus to the RB is just silly.
you answered my statement.. we need an upgrade at RB or WR#2. the whole offense is dependant on each other... AJ is dependant on DD... and also Bradford.. 2 out of 3 fail and AJ is still good.. eventhough defenses key on him full time...so we need an upgrade at RB and WR#2..

want more proof .... see Alvin Harper.. he benefited because of Smith and Irvin.. when he left...scrub.

BTW you can't tell me if you had an Alexander at RB (for example) it wouldn't take pressure off of AJ
Old 04-18-2005   #47
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

depends if alexander could produce behind our O-Line or not, i mean the more time carr has the more open our recievers will get, just like manning, his recievers always seem to be open !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-18-2005   #48
Wolf
100% Texan

this could go back and forth.. but isn't our OL considered better run blockers than pass blockers?
Old 04-18-2005   #49
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:

I see your point.. Earl Campbell had a hard time opening things up for Kenny B and Mike R.
Old 04-18-2005   #50
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
you answered my statement.. we need an upgrade at RB or WR#2. the whole offense is dependant on each other... AJ is dependant on DD... and also Bradford.. 2 out of 3 fail and AJ is still good.. eventhough defenses key on him full time...so we need an upgrade at RB and WR#2..
I agree, but IMO upgrading the #2 WR is easier than upgrading the RB. Anyone want to seriously argue Bradford is a better WR than DD is RB?

Quote:
BTW you can't tell me if you had an Alexander at RB (for example) it wouldn't take pressure off of AJ
Well actually I can. I have used Clinton Portis as an example several times in a negative way. Nonetheless, IMO he is a very good RB. But, behind our line I am not sure he would have done substantially better (he certainly didn't do better behind Washington's OL). Go to the Seahawks' MB and their fans think Alexander is a soft runner (doesn't finish off his runs strongly) who only capitalizes on what his OL gives him. Think that kind of RB is really going to excel here and demand special attention?
Old 04-18-2005   #51
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:

want more proof .... see Alvin Harper.. he benefited because of Smith and Irvin.. when he left...scrub.

IMO Armstrong seems like he has potential #2 WR ability. He has speed, toughness and makes all the circus catches. I think Gaffney's biggest problem is being under utelized. If we stay at #13 and the BPA is one of the top receivers and one of the top OLB's, I say go D and see how the O-line does with a solid year together under its belt. That alone will allow Carr to make more( and better) reads so that one of our other receivers can show #2 ability. Dallas also had one of the most dominant O-lines of all time when Irving and Co. was doing all that damage. Might be a link in there somewhere.
Old 04-18-2005   #52
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
I agree, but IMO upgrading the #2 WR is easier than upgrading the RB. Anyone want to seriously argue Bradford is a better WR than DD is RB?

Well actually I can. I have used Clinton Portis as an example several times in a negative way. Nonetheless, IMO he is a very good RB. But, behind our line I am not sure he would have done substantially better (he certainly didn't do better behind Washington's OL). Go to the Seahawks' MB and their fans think Alexander is a soft runner (doesn't finish off his runs strongly) who only capitalizes on what his OL gives him. Think that kind of RB is really going to excel here and demand special attention?
very true... Clinton would be horrible behind this line... I also feel if Wells and Davis were switched in the drafting days.. (Davis in 2002 and wells in 2003) peeps on this board would love wells.. Only because our OL was better later (2003 ) than early on(2002).. it is the Billy Miller syndrome.. (I like billy) ..but in 2002 he was the best we have ever seen in a Texan uniform)...much like DD right now.. (don't know why people have an infatuation with 1000 yards being it IS a milestone, it isn't what it used to be)

Last edited by Wolf; 04-18-2005 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-18-2005   #53
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar
IMO Armstrong seems like he has potential #2 WR ability. He has speed, toughness and makes all the circus catches. I think Gaffney's biggest problem is being under utelized. If we stay at #13 and the BPA is one of the top receivers and one of the top OLB's, I say go D and see how the O-line does with a solid year together under its belt. That alone will allow Carr to make more( and better) reads so that one of our other receivers can show #2 ability. Dallas also had one of the most dominant O-lines of all time when Irving and Co. was doing all that damage. Might be a link in there somewhere.
agreed Dallas had (if not the best) OL in the history of football .... Emmitt can thank his record to that being Barry is the best but that is another story).... but Alvin was a good #2 WR with the cowboys and left to go to TB (I believe) and then Washington.. never panned out.. after riding the coattails of Irving.
Old 04-18-2005   #54
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
very true... Clinton would be horrible behind this line... I also feel if Wells and Davis were switched in the drafting days.. (Davis in 2002 and wells in 2003) peeps on this board would love wells.. Only because our OL was better later (2003 ) than early on(2002).. it is the Billy Miller syndrome.. (I like billy) ..but in 2002 he was the best we have ever seen in a Texan uniform)...much like DD right now.. (don't know why people have an infatuation with 1000 yards being it IS a milestone, it isn't what it used to be)
Very good points made. I'm gonna keep making my same one. An O-line with some continuity(along with better play) will make the entire O better. You could have Walter Payton or Jim Brown the last 3 yrs and they would have struggled. And IMO, 1,000 yds is almost average these days. The benchmark should be closer to 1,500. That's an outstanding year for an RB.
REMEMBER: OFFENSE MAKES ESPN, DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS
Old 04-18-2005   #55
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
I also feel if Wells and Davis were switched in the drafting days.. (Davis in 2002 and wells in 2003) peeps on this board would love wells.. Only because our OL was better later (2003 ) than early on(2002)..
FA Stacy Mack didn't think the 2003 OL was so special. Sorry, but (and I like Wells on special teams and he certainly ran much, much harder in 2004 than previously) Wells in whatever year has not and never will be a threat to DD. DD is far shiftier, better receiver and hits as hard or harder than Wells does even though smaller.

Quote:
(don't know why people have an infatuation with 1000 yards being it IS a milestone, it isn't what it used to be)
Is 1000 yds what it used to be when the season was 12 games?--of course not. But then again DD is the 19th RB ever, out of 1500+ RB's to start his career with two 1000 yd season--all except one (who had a 14 game season and then 16 game season) came during the 16 game era by the way. Is A 1000 yd season a milestone?--maybe not, but then again, doing something 1480 RB's who have made it to the NFL level have not might be considered a milestone.
Old 04-18-2005   #56
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
FA Stacy Mack didn't think the 2003 OL was so special. Sorry, but (and I like Wells on special teams and he certainly ran much, much harder in 2004 than previously) Wells in whatever year has not and never will be a threat to DD. DD is far shiftier, better receiver and hits as hard or harder than Wells does even though smaller.

Is 1000 yds what it used to be when the season was 12 games?--of course not. But then again DD is the 19th RB ever, out of 1500+ RB's to start his career with two 1000 yd season--all except one (who had a 14 game season and then 16 game season) came during the 16 game era by the way. Is A 1000 yd season a milestone?--maybe not, but then again, doing something 1480 RB's who have made it to the NFL level have not might be considered a milestone.
Nobody thought Stacy Mack was all that special either. I'm also not trying to diminish what DD did in his 1st 2 years, but how many backs ran for over 1,000 yards last year? I have no idea....haven't checked the stats. IMO, 1,000 yds has been the benchmark for elite backs during a full season. I don't feel that it is a legitimate benchmark for that in this era. And unless some Aggies(or anyone else) light a bonfire under Wells, he'll never have the intensity to challenge DD.
Old 04-18-2005   #57
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:

I agree. Wells for his size does NOT pound people like you would think he would
I am not knocking DD...This is an OL issue.. we get into too many 3rd and long were we basically do a draw play..we get a lot of yards there. I am sure many teams do that.. I am not knocking DD.. but we get a lot of yards off of 3rd an long. or 2nd and long.
And that can be said for many backs I am sure.
Old 04-18-2005   #58
DocBar
Hall of Fame

DD is a VERY tough runner when healthy. Let's hope for improved O-line play to see if he can stay that way all year and also hope Derrek Johnson falls to #13. LOL.....I really like the guy
Old 04-18-2005   #59
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar
IMO, 1,000 yds has been the benchmark for elite backs during a full season. I don't feel that it is a legitimate benchmark for that in this era. And unless some Aggies(or anyone else) light a bonfire under Wells, he'll never have the intensity to challenge DD.
Don't get me wrong--I certainly don't think DD has proven himself to be an elite RB, BUT just as a way of perspective, he has done something very few RB's have done--back to back 1000 yd seasons to start their careers--19 of 1500 is pretty rare atmosphere.

Something I am curious about. Lot's of folks seem down on DD. What would DD have gotten behind the KC or Denver OL's the past two years? JMO, but those OL's are worth at least 200 yds a season to any RB. So (since 1000 yds isn't good enough) would anyone be arguing DD was a 3rd down back if he had started on one of those teams with 1231 yds and 1388 yds? I'm not buying it.
Old 04-18-2005   #60
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Don't get me wrong--I certainly don't think DD has proven himself to be an elite RB, BUT just as a way of perspective, he has done something very few RB's have done--back to back 1000 yd seasons to start their careers--19 of 1500 is pretty rare atmosphere.

Something I am curious about. Lot's of folks seem down on DD. What would DD have gotten behind the KC or Denver OL's the past two years? JMO, but those OL's are worth at least 200 yds a season to any RB. So (since 1000 yds isn't good enough) would anyone be arguing DD was a 3rd down back if he had started on one of those teams with 1231 yds and 1388 yds? I'm not buying it.
VERY good point. I happen to like DD a lot. Few current RBs I would trade him for. As for DD on a team with a good O-line, He would excel and be in the yardages you mentioned. DD isn't the problem. Being an expansion team is the main contributing factor here. We're going in the right direction, regardless of John Lopez's opinion.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read