Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-17-2005   #21
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Infantry agreed with me first.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #22
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Infantry agreed with me first.
Even a blind hog...

and by the way, in this scenario, I am casting myself as a truffle. Ugly, but valuable.

That would make you the...
Old 04-18-2005   #23
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

yeah theres no way wells takes the starting spot from D.D, he will be a solid back up for us or even another team but i dont see him as ever beign a starter in the nfl !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #24
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime
Rofl... I like to see you say that to his face...

Bah... the line isnt perfect, but better, only fair to give him a chance behind a better line. Zone blocking I believe is the key for Wells.. I think he handles it better then the other formation.
IMHO, we've seen what he can do time to move on. Second day pick will solve the Well's issue. A tennitive power back. Yeah that's going to work.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #25
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.

If we are unable to get C. Benson, who do you all think would be a good back to pick up in this years draft? What do you think about Eric Shelton of Louisville?
Old 04-18-2005   #26
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Wasn't Wells the first RB we had get to 100 yards in a game last year? He'll probably never be a starter here, but I think he could develop into a decent change of pace, short yardage, or short term starter for us, plus he's good on special teams...
Old 04-18-2005   #27
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G.
If we are unable to get C. Benson, who do you all think would be a good back to pick up in this years draft? What do you think about Eric Shelton of Louisville?
If we don't get Benson, then Shelton would be the next guy I see us targeting, since he is relatively comparable to Benson...If we wanted to go with a second day guy, I think Kay-Jay Harris, 6'0" 243 4.56, or Brandon Jacobs, 6'4" 267 4.59 and was supposedly higher on Auburn's depth chart than Ronnie Brown before he transferred, would be good options...
Old 04-18-2005   #28
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Shelton. I think you can get the same thing from Broughton out of the Citidel. Just a big bod to play special teams and slam the line in short yard stuations.

Might be true ref, but even with the poor line, looked to me like he was looking for the softest grass to land on. Interesting to see how many times Wells was stuffed on third and short. That's his rice bowl. My instincts tells me the stats would not look good. I stand to be corrected.
I like those guys also Ref. The bottom line is DD needs a capable back up. If we take a back up RB, on the second day will be interesting to see who is in the final cuts in August. My money says Wells. If they take one on the first day my best guess is the Hollings experiment is over. JMHO.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 04-18-2005 at 08:29 AM. Reason: space
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #29
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Upon further review, I'll probably have to retract my statement that he could make a good short yardage back since on 3rd and short (less than 2) last year, he had 5 attempts for 9 yards with a long of 8...Not too promising...
Old 04-18-2005   #30
Dime
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
Upon further review, I'll probably have to retract my statement that he could make a good short yardage back since on 3rd and short (less than 2) last year, he had 5 attempts for 9 yards with a long of 8...Not too promising...
Look at DD's.. his is worse.
Dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #31
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime
Look at DD's.. his is worse.
On 3rd and less than 2, DD had 15 attempts for 85 yards (5.7 YPC), a long of 23, 2 TDs, 10 first downs, and only 2 stops for loss...Looks pretty good to me...
Old 04-18-2005   #32
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
If we don't get Benson, then Shelton would be the next guy I see us targeting, since he is relatively comparable to Benson...If we wanted to go with a second day guy, I think Kay-Jay Harris, 6'0" 243 4.56, or Brandon Jacobs, 6'4" 267 4.59 and was supposedly higher on Auburn's depth chart than Ronnie Brown before he transferred, would be good options...
Cool, here is the info on Eric Shelton for those who haven't seen it. Got it off ESPN. Not too bad at all:

Eric Shelton (Louisville)
Vital statistics: 6 feet 1, 246 pounds, 4.53 in the 40.
Numbers game: Began his career at Florida State in 2001 and transferred to Louisville the next season because of crowded Seminoles depth chart. In three college seasons, ran for 1,858 yards and 30 touchdowns on 341 carries. Never rushed for 1,000 yards in a season, and biggest year was in 2004, when he gained 938 yards. Scored 20 touchdowns, many in short-yardage situations, last year. Has only 12 career starts, including just five in 2004. Former all-state track performer in high school.

Upside: Huge, thick body, but definitely a tailback and not a fullback. Patient runner who demonstrates innate ability to let blocking develop in front of him before turning upfield. Good vision and balance and doesn't get knocked off his feet, or driven sideways, by the first contact. Deceptively athletic, can turn his hips and redirect; flashes nice quickness.

Downside: A late bloomer who played mostly in a rotation system in college and has never carried the ball more than 166 times in a season. Not very elusive, won't get to the second level very often, yet isn't a pure power runner, either. Absorbs more hits than he should. Not polished as a receiver or blocker. Past neck problems bear examination.

The dish: An intriguing guy who is visiting with a lot of teams. Scouts will have to project just how big a workload he can handle.
Old 04-18-2005   #33
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
just like I said, a Rottweiler sized guy with the heart of a Cha-wa-wa.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #34
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

There have been RBs that struggled their first few seasons but became good eventually.

I dont think wells will take the start from DD.. that would take quite a bit of improvement.. but with his special teams play and his size.. if he can be an ADEQUATE runner.. then there is no reason he could not stay as our #3 back for the rest of his career.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #35
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

If your opinion of Jonathan Wells was completely formed in 2002 and 2003 then I think you're just wrong.

There's more to him than what you saw trying to run behind that mess we had blocking in 2002. Answer a question for me if you think Wells has nothing in the way of potential to offer. Did you still think David Carr was a great QB, or could become a great QB after he took 76 sacks and finished far down the list of QB's in 2002? If you did (and we pretty much all did) then how come Jonathan Wells is so worthless as a RB?

Wells averaged over 5 yards a carry at Ohio State his senior year with 1294 yards and seven hundred-yard games. He can play in the NFL.

He's not a franchise back and he's not going to create plays when there's nothing there but he is returning to his former self. After 2002 Wells got demoted, watched Stacy Mack come in and be handed an improved line and then put out numbers that impressed nobody. Mack didn't look much better than Wells IMO. If Davis hadn't emerged I believe Wells would have finished up 2003 and looked pretty reasonable doing it. To his credit Wells became a real team player. He learned his role and dedicated himself to special teams until an opportunity came along. Last season he looked very good subbing for Davis.

I think we've got our change of pace back if we stick with Domanick Davis as our starter. If we get to draft one of the big three this year then sure, changes get made and Wells might be the odd man out but I'm not unhappy with what he's done by a longshot and niether should anyone else be.

Wells is going to have a job in the NFL and when he gets some carries he's going to do well. In relief I can see him having a season not unlike the one Stacy Mack had while subbing for Fred Taylor a few years back. Enough production to make some people wonder if he might be the answer. Like Mack he's not going to be that guy but teams need backups too.
Old 04-18-2005   #36
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

only time my decision on Wells has fluctuated even slightly was when he actually fell FORWARD a couple of times last season. Truthfully, if he grows up and acts like the Large Sized RB he COULD be, I would gladly change my opinion of him. But a couple of games, in 3 years, of actually acting like he belongs in the NFL and not on the Cheerleading squad ain't gonna make me go, hmmm.

I don't care what his college stats are. They are like comparing apples and oranges. College stats get you a draft position in the NFL. He got his, and was drafted. Since then he ain't showed diddly squat of any type of actual RB talent, or potential.

Quote:
He's not a franchise back and he's not going to create plays when there's nothing there but he is returning to his former self.
What former self? ONLY former self he has shown won't get him a position on any NFL team for very long. You said it yourself, he isn't a franchise back, and he DEFINITELY won't make a play when there isn't a HUGE hole to run through. ANY Benchwarming RB in the NFL could be described in that manner. We could draft a 6th or 7th round pick to fill those kinds of needs.

Wells is gonna have to earn a reputation as a bruising type back, it ain't gonna be handed to him. And you don't earn that kind of reputation by falling backwards everytime a safety runs up to you and says 'Boo'. When/IF Wells ever decides to change his tu-tu and put on some football pads and act like the big back he was drafted to be, you will see me GLADLY posting how I have changed my opinion and Wells has truly became a GOOD backup RB.

Until that happens the only Texans uniform I think he SHOULD be wearing has a skirt on it and is commanly referred to as a CHEERLEADER.
Old 04-18-2005   #37
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan
only time my decision on Wells has fluctuated even slightly was when he actually fell FORWARD a couple of times last season. Truthfully, if he grows up and acts like the Large Sized RB he COULD be, I would gladly change my opinion of him. But a couple of games, in 3 years, of actually acting like he belongs in the NFL and not on the Cheerleading squad ain't gonna make me go, hmmm.

I don't care what his college stats are. They are like comparing apples and oranges. College stats get you a draft position in the NFL. He got his, and was drafted. Since then he ain't showed diddly squat of any type of actual RB talent, or potential.

What former self? ONLY former self he has shown won't get him a position on any NFL team for very long. You said it yourself, he isn't a franchise back, and he DEFINITELY won't make a play when there isn't a HUGE hole to run through. ANY Benchwarming RB in the NFL could be described in that manner. We could draft a 6th or 7th round pick to fill those kinds of needs.

Wells is gonna have to earn a reputation as a bruising type back, it ain't gonna be handed to him. And you don't earn that kind of reputation by falling backwards everytime a safety runs up to you and says 'Boo'. When/IF Wells ever decides to change his tu-tu and put on some football pads and act like the big back he was drafted to be, you will see me GLADLY posting how I have changed my opinion and Wells has truly became a GOOD backup RB.

Until that happens the only Texans uniform I think he SHOULD be wearing has a skirt on it and is commanly referred to as a CHEERLEADER.
Sooo, let me get this straight, you don't seem to be real high on Wells????

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #38
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 TexansNeedRBin05 has been demoted to the practice squad
Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

I think everyone knows how I feel! (if you dont look at my name!) I am agreeing with Vinny I PRAY TO GOD THAT BENSON IS AT 13 AND WERE SMART ENOUGH TO TAKE HIM!(or brown or williams for that matter) I knew I said I wouldnt say anything about the RB suitation but I am going to. Wells is worse that Davis! and I think Davis is terrible. Dont give me this no O-line **** they have the same O-line and Davis does better. Course I love are O-Line!
TexansNeedRBin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #39
Dime
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan

Looks like someone has Well's envy.
Dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #40
thegr8fan
All Pro

Quote:
Looks like someone has Well's envy.
ROFLMAO. and they say sarcasm is a lost form of humor.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read