Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-17-2005   #1
Dime
Hall of Fame

Default Wells

Folks.. I hear alot about 'DD doesnt have the durability' and we need to pick up benson. Personally, I think we have a back that is very good, even better then DD. Who might you say, Jonathon Wells. Ok... Some might be laughing, but lets look at a few things. Carr was sacked a record amount of times in the first year, and it got little better in the second year before DD made a bit of a impact. Last year, when we went to zone blocking, DD did ok, but when Wells touched the ball, he was showing good vision and pounding the ball. He even would have had a break away TD if not got called back to a penalty on the other size of the field. I think Wells should get a three game test, if he aint producing, he goes back to last string. I think from what I have seen of late though, he will be even better then DD for us.
Dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not sure

Personally I think Wells got a bad wrap early on after being drafted
no offensive line which led to him being 'shell shocked" and not hitting the holes hard and tip toeing instead of exploding through the hole..he has the size of Eddie George but doesn't deliver the pounding that eddie gave. we still see him tip toe ...

If Wells could get tough and run like DD does (i.e. keep legs moving and keep falling forward instead of back)..It would go a long way with him moving up the depth chart..

One thing I learned about Wells being in the backfield and starting while DD was injured.. Carr had to learn to look elseware to get rid of the ball.. instead of looking at AJ then throwing to DD
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

here is his split stats
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/playerS...egoryId=101816

here is davis...
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/playerS...egoryId=140815

depressing looking at the stats esp on 1st down and less than 2 (or anydown less than 2 yards to go)
Old 04-17-2005   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I would love to give Wells the start in every game this preseason.. lets see what he can do.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005   #5
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
I would love to give Wells the start in every game this preseason.. lets see what he can do.

This is a good idea . I think this may be the last shot at being the 2nd RB .
Giving Wells the majority of the work this pre-season would also keep DD fresh for the opener . Wells taking the starting position from DD is just not going to happen . The main reason Wells is still a Texan is that he excells on special teams , this will keep him around the league for quite a few seasons to come .

For those of you complaining about DD's durability issues ..... only 8 backs in the whole of the NFL had more carries last season , only one had more pass receptions . Only 5 backs with 300 or more carries played in 16 games last year . Of the 8 backs with 300+ carries DD and Curtis Martin had the fewest fumbles (2) , all the others had at least 4 ........so you guy's can prepare for another season of complaining about DD . He'll be the starter come opening day.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005   #6
Wolf
100% Texan

hopefully with permission from Vinny to reprint this ... and I am not saying Benson is the answer,or DD is bad, it is just that teams know how to handle us. last half of his quote is so truthful... we have seen 2 years of it.Nothing against DD but this is the trend... Yet I would like to see DD run behind a line that a center can hold his own and open holes up.
Quote:
Vinny
I'm hoping Benson falls to us badly. He would totally change this offense. No longer will you see cover-2 shells with the Safeties way back over the top of the CB's 20 yards down field capping our passing game. They will be forced up into the box to defend Bensons inside bashing, opening up the downfield tosses. Davis doesn't force anyone out of their scheme. The way to beat the Texans is to sit back in a cover2 and let the front-7 handle Davis. That would be over to some extent.
http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...9&page=1&pp=20
Old 04-17-2005   #7
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wells = WHIMP

Only time you saw Wells reel off some good runs last year was cause the other team was devastated with injuries they had their Punter playing MLB. The Punter still tackled Wells for a loss, Wells falling backwards, as USUAL.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-17-2005   #8
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i'm all for bringing in benson...i think if benson isn't our guy in the first round then capers will probably give wells the majority of snaps during pre-season...we might see some carries split between these two guys...or we might see wells tip toe to the hole again...i admitt last year he looked more aggressive...but maybe that was because he wasn't getting the playing time...what happens when he does is my concern
Old 04-17-2005   #9
Dime
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan
Wells = WHIMP

Only time you saw Wells reel off some good runs last year was cause the other team was devastated with injuries they had their Punter playing MLB. The Punter still tackled Wells for a loss, Wells falling backwards, as USUAL.

Rofl... I like to see you say that to his face...

Bah... the line isnt perfect, but better, only fair to give him a chance behind a better line. Zone blocking I believe is the key for Wells.. I think he handles it better then the other formation.
Old 04-17-2005   #10
Dime
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
i'm all for bringing in benson...i think if benson isn't our guy in the first round then capers will probably give wells the majority of snaps during pre-season...we might see some carries split between these two guys...or we might see wells tip toe to the hole again...i admitt last year he looked more aggressive...but maybe that was because he wasn't getting the playing time...what happens when he does is my concern

Honestly, the first year when the o-line was so spread out that fans could have sacked Carr, I would tip toe to the line too so I wouldnt lose me head to a defense end or tackle. He had NO chance. Now the o-line is better (somewhat) and using a different scheme, I just feel he should be given a chance in pre-season to show if he can do it. All i am saying.
Old 04-17-2005   #11
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

i would like to see wells get alot of playing time this preseason also. to say he is a "whimp" is rediculous. i like the way he plays when he is on fire. he did show that he can pound it and run over a few people if given the proper motivation. he also can catch the ball out of the backfield and can run to the outside. if he doesnt challenge DD for carries this season, he is still a standout on special teams and a good backup.
Old 04-17-2005   #12
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I like to see you say that to his face
I have

I have no problem with Wells getting almost ALL the snaps in Pre-season. It is preseason after all. Is it going to prove anything about his improved play making ability. Yeah, it is going to prove that even a 3rd string, soon to be practice roster player, can tackle him (Wells falling backwards as usual) without even trying too hard.

Wells couldn't run, with a razor sharp machete, through a wet paper sack that had a big 'X' on the side of the bag and sign saying 'cut here with machete' to escape, if his life depended on it. No O-line in the NFL is going to implant some huevos in him, and until that happens he will always be on the sidelines, where he belongs, IMHO. Right next to the cheerleader's. Who at least have an excuse for no huervos.
Old 04-17-2005   #13
Dime
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan
I have

I have no problem with Wells getting almost ALL the snaps in Pre-season. It is preseason after all. Is it going to prove anything about his improved play making ability. Yeah, it is going to prove that even a 3rd string, soon to be practice roster player, can tackle him (Wells falling backwards as usual) without even trying too hard.

Wells couldn't run, with a razor sharp machete, through a wet paper sack that had a big 'X' on the side of the bag and sign saying 'cut here with machete' to escape, if his life depended on it. No O-line in the NFL is going to implant some huevos in him, and until that happens he will always be on the sidelines, where he belongs, IMHO. Right next to the cheerleader's. Who at least have an excuse for no huervos.
I hope Wells does all the snaps in pre-season. This way, if he beats out Hollings for number two, or becomes a good part of our system, I can mess with this guy for the rest of the year for these comments..
Old 04-17-2005   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Wells does back into traffic a bit much for my taste. Those half-spin moves where he backs into the line are not the trademarks of most power runners.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005   #15
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Wells does back into traffic a bit much for my taste. Those half-spin moves where he backs into the line are not the trademarks of most power runners.

I was just about to say the same thing.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

JMO, but Wells will go down as one of the weaker Texans' draft picks and after backing up here, will back up somewhere else and then go quietly into that good night. We can debate how good DD is, but Wells will never be a challenge to him.
Old 04-17-2005   #17
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
JMO, but Wells will go down as one of the weaker Texans' draft picks and after backing up here, will back up somewhere else and then go quietly into that good night. We can debate how good DD is, but Wells will never be a challenge to him.

Finally something we can agree on.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

hey, hey, HEY now....no agreements around here...ya hear me?
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005   #19
thegr8fan
All Pro

Quote:
I hope Wells does all the snaps in pre-season. This way, if he beats out Hollings for number two, or becomes a good part of our system, I can mess with this guy for the rest of the year for these comments..
where you been, I been saying this for about 3 years now. So far, only one with black Crow feathers sticking out of their mouth's have been the rah-rah Wells supporters. You better hope the Texans don't draft a RB that takes Well's third string spot, as long as you are throwing out hope's and wish's there, Dime.

And taking Hollings spot ain't exactly a sign of improvement. Especially since Hollings doesn't seem to be improved enough himself to even keep the #2 spot consistantly without being injured. Heck, Wells even started a few games last year. Course that is what happens when you are the only RB on the roster, not on the injured list.

I hope Wells is saving some of those paychecks for his 'regular job' hunting after next season. Cause he sure ain't going to have a job in the NFL if he keeps doing ballareeni type dancing in the backfield.
Old 04-17-2005   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Finally something we can agree on.
Danger Will Robinson!!!! Shoot, now I think Wells will be a perenial pro-bowler. :woot

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read