Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-02-2011   #21
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164009 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why not Smith as NT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I doubt well be in base 34 alignment in short yardage situations. We will likely have a short yardage package. I think that having a big nt is good but I don't think it's absolutely necessary.
Holding on short yardage situations? It certainly didn't happen for us last year.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #22
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Holding on short yardage situations? It certainly didn't happen for us last year.
There are a lot of things we didn't do well defensively last yr. I don't think it was all due to personnel.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #23
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
And while we`re on it - why not Watt at OLB? He played LB in highschool...
He was worked out at OLB...
Old 05-02-2011   #24
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164009 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There are a lot of things we didn't do well defensively last yr. I don't think it was all due to personnel.
There are some D situations (3rd down and inches) that are unlikely to be solved without strength and weight.
Old 05-02-2011   #25
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24496 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
He was worked out at OLB...
So any chance he gets some reps there? Especially if Barwin is not 100%? I don`t know his game enough, so I don`t know how well he could play OLB...
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #26
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
So any chance he gets some reps there? Especially if Barwin is not 100%? I don`t know his game enough, so I don`t know how well he could play OLB...
I would have to question the wisdom of trying to split a rookies responsibilities, especially from the beginning.
Old 05-02-2011   #27
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There are some D situations (3rd down and inches) that are unlikely to be solved without strength and weight.
Strength sure. But I've seen plenty of teams make short yardage stops without 330 pound linemen clogging the middle.

Short yardage stops are really more about attitude. I'd rather have a bunch of talented, nasty 295 pound linemen than a bunch of fat guys who's best attribute is what the scale says when they step on it.

I'm not opposed to them getting a big guy. But big doesn't always equal successful. Gotta have some talent and attitude.
Sponsored links
Old 05-02-2011   #28
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would have to question the wisdom of trying to split a rookies responsibilities, especially from the beginning.
I tend to agree, but I would take that as a case by case basis. Remember that crazy attempt to make a rookie linebacker the MLB and play caller back in '06? There were some that questioned that. I say find the rookies limit and don't ask too much too soon.
Old 05-02-2011   #29
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

As an everydown measure, Smith would get eaten alive and it would only lead to more off field blow ups/on field penalties. Frankly, he'll be lucky to play as a backup when Mario goes OLB for a down or when they go nickel. Between Mitchell, D Lewis (if he's still signed) and Cody, with Watt pulling situational duty, I think we're all blowing the NT thing out of proportion. Seems like if Wade wanted one, he would've gotten one draft wise.

Smith's best bet would be to QUIETLY ask Smithiak for a trade or just man up and QUIETLY bust balls/OLmen's heads. I don't think Wade would flinch to send him to a permanent bench seat and if he would, then we're already doomed.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #30
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Where is this hated quote? I saw a comment where he said he preferred playing outside but this seems overblown. But to the original question, no Smith will not be the NT except in some sort of situational package and we most likely would be showing 4-3 at that point.
I remember hearing/reading somewhere that was a factor in him leaving the Cardinals as a FA, he no longer wanted to play in a 3-4 because he does not like it. Hate might be too strong a workd.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #31
Ndevine7
All Pro

Rep Power: 273 Ndevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I remember hearing/reading somewhere that was a factor in him leaving the Cardinals as a FA, he no longer wanted to play in a 3-4 because he does not like it. Hate might be too strong a workd.
I have heard that also that the reason he left the Cardinals was because he wanted to play in a 4-3. My thinking on this is if he doesnt want to be here then get rid of him. He is not good enough to be complaining about not wanting to be in this system and if he is going to complain all he is going to be is a distraction that his time does not need.
Old 05-02-2011   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndevine7 View Post
I have heard that also that the reason he left the Cardinals was because he wanted to play in a 4-3. My thinking on this is if he doesnt want to be here then get rid of him. He is not good enough to be complaining about not wanting to be in this system and if he is going to complain all he is going to be is a distraction that his time does not need.
I think the reason he left the Cardinals, is because he was a free agent & someone made him an offer the Cardinals didn't want to match.

If Smith was the kind of guy that would balk on playing in a 4-3, I think he would balk on kicking inside on 3rd down & obvious passing situations.

The only guys who don't want to play DE in a 3-4, are the guys who want to/likes to rack up sacks. The guys who kick inside on passing downs & play DE (or NT for that matter) in the 3-4 are guys who go to work & don't worry about the superficial crap.
Old 05-02-2011   #33
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I see you asked about this on the Texans chat...

Nick pretty much echoed my sentiments...
Old 05-02-2011   #34
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 73223 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Hmmm...

Well Rey, what did Nick have to say? Just axin'.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #35
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Hmmm...

He basically said that he thought the D was best at the run defense..............that he did recollect a problem with the run in short yardage. But he would not really have stats he could think of that would support that. He was concerned about the pass defense in 3rd and short.

It did not seem to answer the 3rd and inches against the run (vs "short yardage") where my main concern lies.

Rey, I agree, not every man has to be a 340 pound bruiser in the middle, but for every pound you knock off, you better have added an increment of strength and nasty to each. I saw no one last year that fit the bill.
Old 05-02-2011   #36
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Hmmm...

Quote:
Nick Scurfield:
Was that a big problem for the Texans last year? I don't know their stats in 3rd and short on defense off the top of my head, but they were much better at defending the run than the pass. What I remember as the Achilles' heel of the defense was getting beat on 3rd & long - 3rd and 12, 3rd and 15, situations where you thought they were definitely going to get the opposing offense off the field.
http://prod.www.texans.clubs.nfl.com...3-287b8b161cac
Old 05-02-2011   #37
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 73223 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks guys. And Nick's right.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #38
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

A reason more/most concerning of run D in cases of "inches" is actuall 4th and inches (and that was where I was going with this), which tend to come up in the most critical of circumstances, not uncommonly determining winning or losing. No actual stats, but I seem to remember not generally faring very well in those run situations (including QB sneaks).
Old 05-02-2011   #39
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A reason more/most concerning of run D in cases of "inches" is actuall 4th and inches (and that was where I was going with this), which tend to come up in the most critical of circumstances, not uncommonly determining winning or losing. No actual stats, but I seem to remember not generally faring very well in those run situations (including QB sneaks).
I also recall our offense being quite successful in similar situations so I question whether any defenses are great in a situation like that which favors the offense. For all I know we could be the worst in the league against such situations but I would have to see some stats before I jump to any conclusions.
Old 05-02-2011   #40
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
I also recall our offense being quite successful in similar situations so I question whether any defenses are great in a situation like that which favors the offense. For all I know we could be the worst in the league against such situations but I would have to see some stats before I jump to any conclusions.
Yeah, if I'm a HC, I go for it most of the time on 4th and inches. If we can't win that battle most of the time, I start drafting O-linemen like we just focused on the D in the draft this year. 4th and inches for O-linemen should be WIN-or-find-another-job time.

Could be that our D was even worse than most at it though... I'm not sayin' it wasn't.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read