Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2011   #1
RT22
Veteran

Rep Power: 3883 RT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Why not Smith as NT?

Could Antonio Smith play NT in Wades defense? If Jay Ratliff can play NT why not Smith. Just listening to what Wade would like to do with his NT seems like Smiths strength. If his NT plays 1 gap Smith seems ideal to get quick pressure through his gap and this would allow Mario and JJ to be the ends. If I'm not mistaken Smith did some of this in Arizona. What do you think?
RT22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #2
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why not Smith as NT?

And while we`re on it - why not Watt at OLB? He played LB in highschool...
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #3
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

"The best players will play", or so I've heard.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT22 View Post
Could Antonio Smith play NT in Wades defense? If Jay Ratliff can play NT why not Smith. Just listening to what Wade would like to do with his NT seems like Smiths strength. If his NT plays 1 gap Smith seems ideal to get quick pressure through his gap and this would allow Mario and JJ to be the ends. If I'm not mistaken Smith did some of this in Arizona. What do you think?
just my opinion but Nose gets beat up more than any other player and I think SMith as a vet would not want that job. He is an emotional player that could pull a Hainesworth. Remember he tied up with coach last season. I think he may possibly be trade bait under new CBA.

Watt, Mitchell, Mario?
Old 04-30-2011   #5
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

There will probably be a bit of mixing and matching at that spot but am I the only one that is excited to see Earl Mitchell in this role? I really think he could be an impact player for us at that spot, especially with the talent we have next to him at end. He is smallish for the position but he is compact, stout, athletic, and relentless. One of the players I can't wait to get a look at in preseason.
Old 04-30-2011   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

From reading up on Watt a lot, it sounds like he can be used as the Nose sometimes. Apparently when he faced some Centers he destroyed them. I love the versatility that Wade now has in using these players all over.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 201352 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
There will probably be a bit of mixing and matching at that spot but am I the only one that is excited to see Earl Mitchell in this role? I really think he could be an impact player for us at that spot, especially with the talent we have next to him at end. He is smallish for the position but he is compact, stout, athletic, and relentless. One of the players I can't wait to get a look at in preseason.
Mitchell doesn't have the bulk or strength to consistently take on double teams or the constant trauma of an NT. On short yardage, he will not hold the middle. He will not be that fire hydrant that we will need in that situation. Mario will have more double teams than Mitchell. Smith at NT, although still not ideal, is the closest to what might work at NT........and that ain't going to happen.

We need ONE big plug in the middle for appropriate situations.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-30-2011   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 201352 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
From reading up on Watt a lot, it sounds like he can be used as the Nose sometimes. Apparently when he faced some Centers he destroyed them. I love the versatility that Wade now has in using these players all over.
That won't happen with less than 1 yard situations where the O will have their entire team concentrated in a 3 foot area.
Old 04-30-2011   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
That won't happen with less than 1 yard situations where the O will have their entire team concentrated in a 3 foot area.
Great. Now we have concentrated fat.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Simply illustrated, this is the concept of what the NT should be........

Old 04-30-2011   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That guy has the weirdest belly button I've ever seen!
Old 04-30-2011   #12
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
That guy has the weirdest belly button I've ever seen!
Me too.
Old 04-30-2011   #13
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Looks like that guy ate Travis Johnson and Frank Okam!!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2011   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
"The best players will play", or so I've heard.
This.

Jay Ratliff was an overachiever in Dallas. He should have supplanted Spears in Dallas, but Spears was a first round pick. Ferguson couldn't stay healthy & Dallas was desperate.

Ratliff was given an opportunity to stay on the field. He took it, & never looked back.

If Antonio Smith wants to play, it's up to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Looks like that guy ate Travis Johnson and Frank Okam!!!!!!!!
I can remember many people complaining about TJ's weight. He played NT & they wanted him to lose weight.....
Old 05-01-2011   #15
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Smith hated being a 3-4 end, imagine how he would feel if you now said "ok big feller, now you move inside permanently".
Old 05-01-2011   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Smith hated being a 3-4 end, imagine how he would feel if you now said "ok big feller, now you move inside permanently".
Where is this hated quote? I saw a comment where he said he preferred playing outside but this seems overblown. But to the original question, no Smith will not be the NT except in some sort of situational package and we most likely would be showing 4-3 at that point.
Old 05-01-2011   #17
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm actually very happy with what Smith did for our 4-3 defense, but I think he's trade bait now. I don't think he'll do well in it and I don't think he'll like it at all....and that's before it hypothetically gets worse by asking him to play NT.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

This 2008 thread ARE AMOBE OKOYE AND TRAVIS JOHNSON A BUST? should be mandatory reading for all MB members when you have time................interesting, sad and prophetic............
Old 05-01-2011   #19
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:
This 2008 thread ARE AMOBE OKOYE AND TRAVIS JOHNSON A BUST? should be mandatory reading for all MB members when you have time................interesting, sad and prophetic............
Very interesting! I wonder what happened to the original poster, it looked as if the mob mentality had him burned at the stake LOL
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I doubt well be in base 34 alignment in short yardage situations. We will likely have a short yardage package. I think that having a big nt is good but I don't think it's absolutely necessary.

Bring in Cody and put him next to watt inside. Or whatever combo. It's not like the nt will have to hold the middle by their self in those situations.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read