Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2011   #61
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What a joke!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ing-undrafted/

You aren’t supposed to root as a member of the media, but Florio and I were rooting like many others for former Boston College linebacker Mark Herzlich to get drafted at the end of Saturday’s seventh round.

It didn’t happen, and now Herzlich is stuck like so many other potential undrafted free agents in limbo, waiting for the NFL lockout to end to see where they will go next.

Herzlich, who overcame cancer to return to play in 2010, was in New York for draft festivities during the week and was on stage Thursday before the draft started. We heard that he left town on Friday because he knew he wouldn’t be taken until day three at least.

It had to be a big disappointment to Herzlich to go undrafted; after all he was considered a surefire first-round pick in 2009 before cancer struck. He took this latest adversity in stride and with class, as you’d expect.

“Thanking everyone for their support tough times call for perseverance and a tough mind,” Herzlich wrote on Twitter. ”Today sucked for me but everyone needs to pray for all the people in Alabama. They need us more than ever right now.

“I have been told that I can’t play football before. We all know what happened with that. #neverquit.”

Old 05-01-2011   #62
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ing-undrafted/

You aren’t supposed to root as a member of the media, but Florio and I were rooting like many others for former Boston College linebacker Mark Herzlich to get drafted at the end of Saturday’s seventh round.

It didn’t happen, and now Herzlich is stuck like so many other potential undrafted free agents in limbo, waiting for the NFL lockout to end to see where they will go next.

Herzlich, who overcame cancer to return to play in 2010, was in New York for draft festivities during the week and was on stage Thursday before the draft started. We heard that he left town on Friday because he knew he wouldn’t be taken until day three at least.

It had to be a big disappointment to Herzlich to go undrafted; after all he was considered a surefire first-round pick in 2009 before cancer struck. He took this latest adversity in stride and with class, as you’d expect.

“Thanking everyone for their support tough times call for perseverance and a tough mind,” Herzlich wrote on Twitter. ”Today sucked for me but everyone needs to pray for all the people in Alabama. They need us more than ever right now.

“I have been told that I can’t play football before. We all know what happened with that. #neverquit.”

Nice post.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Old 05-01-2011   #63
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30074 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, what a mean-spirited thread.

Mussop, your heart is in the right place. But I think you were a bit mean and nasty. I'm rooting for this guy. We are assuming that he won't play in the NFL. He might. Let's think good thoughts about this guy staying healthy enough to realize his dream instead of attacking each other.

And, Cloak, thanks for the medical insight. It adds a lot to the discussions on this message board.
Old 05-01-2011   #64
Ndevine7
All Pro

Rep Power: 273 Ndevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
You are absolutely right. The last pick in the draft aka Mr. Irrelevant has little to no value to the team.

Signed,
2010 Mr. Irrelevant Frank Zombo: 38 total tackles and 4 sacks
2009 Mr. Irrelevant Ryan Succop: 81.8% career fg % and 71/71 on epa
2008 Mr. Irrelevant David Vobora: St Louis Ram Starting SLB in 2009
Frank Zombo wasnt 2010 mr irrelavent Tim Toone WR Det was
Old 05-01-2011   #65
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

If anyone goes in the Mock section and they look up my thread "My Early Wish List", on the last page I listed players I wanted and where I think we should draft them. Cheta Ozougwu is one of them. He's a tweener player who can play with his hand in the dirt or standing up. This is a position of need and the type of player we can use. I think if anything we get a very good Special Team player out of this guy.
Old 05-02-2011   #66
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
If anyone goes in the Mock section and they look up my thread "My Early Wish List", on the last page I listed players I wanted and where I think we should draft them. Cheta Ozougwu is one of them. He's a tweener player who can play with his hand in the dirt or standing up. This is a position of need and the type of player we can use. I think if anything we get a very good Special Team player out of this guy.
Exactly. If he's a gamer on ST, AND he adds depth at LB, then it was a good pick.

Bill Bates of the Cowboys wasn't the best player, technically, but he brought a dimension to that team that I think infused the other players with toughness and attitude.

A great ST player who can double as depth at a needed position on gamedays is a great asset to have.

I had been thinking that this was the most likely reason for taking him as the last pick. All this talk about how other players, or other positions, were still there and would have been a better pick, is just pure speculation. We can use gamers on ST, and the guy can play some LB too. It wasn't a wasted pick, IMO.

I don't even see a real flaw, IMO, to this draft. Yeah, maybe some personal preferences on here were not met...but hey, that's OK when you consider how previous drafts have gone for us.
Old 05-02-2011   #67
dgmtexas
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 dgmtexas is a quality contributor and well respecteddgmtexas is a quality contributor and well respecteddgmtexas is a quality contributor and well respecteddgmtexas is a quality contributor and well respecteddgmtexas is a quality contributor and well respecteddgmtexas is a quality contributor and well respecteddgmtexas is a quality contributor and well respecteddgmtexas is a quality contributor and well respecteddgmtexas is a quality contributor and well respecteddgmtexas is a quality contributor and well respecteddgmtexas is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
We couldnt draft Herzlich with the last pick in the draft? Screw you Rick Smith!!!!! Epic fail!!!!! You suck!!!!!!!!!! And this is after I have calmed down.
I hope in the near future, there are less fans like you.
Sponsored links
Old 05-02-2011   #68
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't what worse, the OP blasting the FO for NOT drafting Herzlich or wanting him drafted last and be known as "Mr Irrelevant"

After everything Herzlich as gone through, "irrelevant" shouldn't be the word to describe him...

Kinda sounds like a cruel joke...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
Old 05-02-2011   #69
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

My Brother in Law and I were kinda rooting for us to draft Hertzlich too. He seemed like an awesome guy and it would've been a win win situation for us. If he eventually got back to the way he played before the cancer he would definitely help this team. If not, he still would've been a positive story for ua and an excellent locker room guy.

However, I don not know the specifics of his situation well enough to call out the Texans or any other team for not drafting him. Therefore, the knee-jerk was kinda over the top. Just my .02
Old 05-02-2011   #70
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not interested in drafting players to be nice. I want a player that is going to help us win football games. Mark will get a shot in the NFL. And its probably best for him to be able to pick the team he wants to play for.
Old 05-02-2011   #71
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Picking Herzlich would've represented much, much more than an OLB. The Texans threw that away for.....an OLB. I can't even begin to type this 3 page rant because it's already getting to me...

I would've picked him up 100/100 times. I would've picked him with both 7th round picks.

"Cheddar Ogzoogwazoogoo" and the project OT they took are my least favorite football players ever.
Old 05-02-2011   #72
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 30608 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

There are a lot of perfectly healthy college football players that do not get drafted.

Why are people getting so bent out of shape because 1 of 32 teams did not draft a player with a steel rod in his leg.

Just because he was not drafted, there is always a possibility of getting picked up by an NFL team - just ask A. Foster.
Old 05-02-2011   #73
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We couldnt draft Herzlich with the last pick in the draft? Screw you Rick Smith!!!!! Epic fail!!!!! You suck!!!!!!!!!! And this is after I have calmed down.
ANd once again I cannot express how thankful I am that nobody who posts here is in charge of the Texans.

I do not know of a face palm wothy of this thread.
Old 05-02-2011   #74
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
Actually, that's not all together true. In an interview I saw, he said he realized that he probably wouldn't get drafted, but would love to hear his name called on draft day. Given what he's been through, if that's not a dream I don't know what is.

As the last pick got closer & closer I really started hoping the Texans would take him & give him some time to see if he can beat this thing. Imagine the positive PR the team (and NFL) would've gotten for doing this. The NFL is a business & quite often appears to have no heart. Doing this would've gone a long ways towards dispelling that perception. Also, if he's able to beat it, we would've gotten the steal of the draft.

However, having said all of this, there were several players still available, Deunta Williams (FS), Deandre McDaniel (SS), Jeron Johnson (SS), Mario Harvey (ILB), Tori Gurley (WR), Ian Williams (DT), Brandon Bair (DE) & Blaine Sumner (NT), that could've helped us. With all that talent still on the board, the Texans must see something in the Ozougwu kid that makes them think he can stick.
I see what you're saying....but ultimately, his name being called during the draft was just a means to an end....I'm sure he would've been just as happy if all he got was a phone call from a team saying they wanted him to come to camp.
Old 05-02-2011   #75
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Picking Herzlich would've represented much, much more than an OLB. The Texans threw that away for.....an OLB. I can't even begin to type this 3 page rant because it's already getting to me...

I would've picked him up 100/100 times. I would've picked him with both 7th round picks.

"Cheddar Ogzoogwazoogoo" and the project OT they took are my least favorite football players ever.
Yeah, great, hate players because they got drafted. It's all their fault.
Old 05-02-2011   #76
Ndevine7
All Pro

Rep Power: 273 Ndevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Yeah, great, hate players because they got drafted. It's all their fault.
While Herzlich wouldve been a great story, there is a reason why he was passed on by 31 other teams over 7 rounds. Be happy for these two men who were drafted and worked hard to be drafted.
Old 05-02-2011   #77
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I understand what mussop is saying. We did have the last pick.

If I were pulling the strings & someone suggested I should draft the kid, I would probably do it.

But, is he the only "feel good" story out there? Where do we draw the line?

If he was/is pretty active in some cancer awareness charity (or something similar) it would be a no brainer, & a done deal. But if being Mr. Irrelevant would be the most significant part of the story, I'm not so sure.......
Old 05-02-2011   #78
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmtexas View Post
I hope in the near future, there are less fans like you.
And I hope in the near future to see you post something somewhat intelligent with a bit more substance. Judging by you're response here there is a better chance the sea parts, Bin laden comes walking out and dances a jig.
Old 05-02-2011   #79
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

I am absolutely amazed at the value some of you put on the LAST pick in the draft. Here's my problem with it, once that pick is in the draft is over. That makes the value of that pick no more than than that of a UFA.

And if I have to explain why such gestures that cost you virtually nothing are important in this world then please do yourself a favor and do some volunteer work at a children's hospital or place that cares for the less fortunate and learn something about life and what its like to have you're dreams and future taken away from you before it rightfully should.

Or just keep living in oblivion and prey something like this never happens to you or even worse someone you love.
Old 05-02-2011   #80
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am absolutely amazed at the value some of you put on the LAST pick in the draft. Here's my problem with it, once that pick is in the draft is over. That makes the value of that pick no more than than that of a UFA.

And if I have to explain why such gestures that cost you virtually nothing are important in this world then please do yourself a favor and do some volunteer work at a children's hospital or place that cares for the less fortunate and learn something about life and what its like to have you're dreams and future taken away from you before it rightfully should.

Or just keep living in oblivion and prey something like this never happens to you or even worse someone you love.
You make it sound like us fans have to choose between being a good person and having a winning football team. Did you ever stop to think about the amount of volunteer work that some of the people you are berating do?
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read