Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Cheta
I like It 29 43.28%
I don't like it 13 19.40%
On the fence 25 37.31%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2011   #21
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cheta Ozougwu - Reaction to the pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
DO NOT LIKE.

I wonder if he is supposed to be a 5 tech or an OLB.

Either way he won't make it out of camp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Screams PR pick to me. I dont like this one bit. Why take a local player here? Take a player you dont think will sign with you as an UDFA. Bad pick in my opinion. He is a far way away from being an NFL player- small for an OLB, not sudden or explosive, no stats (only 6 TFL and 3 sacks?!). I just dont get it.
Love,
Arian Foster
Fixed that for ya. Maybe the people that get paid for this (Wade Phillips?) sees something you don't.
Old 04-30-2011   #22
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Exotic name. I am a fan, strictly because of the name.

"Oz" or "Cheddar" I dont care which one we go with. I'm a fan.
Old 04-30-2011   #23
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Last pick in the draft and we are expecting something major? Remember a OG named Smith and a LT that is 6'7 315lbs? Both went higher and remain on PS. After this draft, I say give Wade Phillips this one. Who knows? Maybe some of Foster will rub off.
Old 04-30-2011   #24
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

OK what is his first name for real?
Old 04-30-2011   #25
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
OK what is his first name for real?
Cheta as in fast as a Cheeta but you can call him zoo.
Old 04-30-2011   #26
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Cheta as in fast as a Cheeta but you can call him zoo.
Thanks.
Old 04-30-2011   #27
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I have no reaction because he is a 7th rounder and if he even makes the team then that probably makes it a decent pick.
This is your answer.
Old 05-01-2011   #28
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Screams PR pick to me. I dont like this one bit. Why take a local player here? Take a player you dont think will sign with you as an UDFA. Bad pick in my opinion. He is a far way away from being an NFL player- small for an OLB, not sudden or explosive, no stats (only 6 TFL and 3 sacks?!). I just dont get it.
Yeah 247 lbs is way small for a 3-4 OLB.

Signed,

James Harrison, 242 lbs
Old 05-01-2011   #29
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Fixed that for ya. Maybe the people that get paid for this (Wade Phillips?) sees something you don't.
I hope I am wrong. I know that people get paid to do this. I know the FO has more information than we do. But does it hurt some of you when some of us give our opinions on players, especially if it is contrary to the FO?

Arian Foster-like good luck is rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yeah 247 lbs is way small for a 3-4 OLB.

Signed,

James Harrison, 242 lbs
Exceptions prove rules.

Ware- 270 lbs
Matthews- 255 lbs
Suggs- 260 lbs
Woodley- 265 lbs
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #30
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wouldn't the best PR pick have been Herzlich?
Old 05-01-2011   #31
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Wouldn't the best PR pick have been Herzlich?
Maybe, but maybe his medical did not pan out or something. I am not saying PR was the only reason for the pick, just that I think it played a major role.
Old 05-01-2011   #32
nytexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 1436 nytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My first reaction was to agree with you but after researching the pick a bit it seems he has a history with Philips from the East-West Shrine game. Maybe Philips saw something in him he can work with. I'm guessing he ends up on the practice squad but I'm just not as down on this pick as I thought I would be.
nytexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #33
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Evidently there is some pomp and circumstance surrounding the "Mr. Irrelevant" title.

A touch of irrelevance for Rice
Owls' Ozougwu thankful to be last player taken
By JEFFREY MARTIN
Copyright 2011 Houston Chronicle
April 30, 2011, 11:04PM

Quote:
.Cheta Ozougwu is many things — intelligent, athletic and gregarious, just to list a few. But he has never been more pleased to become irrelevant.

After his hometown Texans chose the Rice defensive end Saturday with the 254th overall pick, the last selection of the seventh and final round of the NFL draft, Ozougwu now carries the title of "Mr. Irrelevant."

"It's truly a blessing," said Ozougwu, a product of Alief Taylor. "I'm very fortunate that (general manager) Rick Smith and coach (Gary) Kubiak gave me the opportunity to play for the team, and I'm very thankful for that."

Smith said the organization will shift Ozougwu (6-2, 255), who finished his career at Rice with 26 tackles for losses and 11 sacks, to linebacker in the transition to the 3-4. Initially, he'll make a living on special teams, but the Texans envision him fitting in at four positions.

"He has a big football IQ," Smith said. "We think he'll find a way to make it in this league."

Track record not good

If he does, he'll be the exception. In 2002, the Texans also had the last selection in the draft. They used it on UNLV defensive tackle Ahmad Miller, who was cut before the regular season began.

Since then, it has been Weber State wide receiver Tim Toone (2010, Detroit), South Carolina kicker Ryan Succop (2009, Kansas City), Idaho linebacker David Vobora (2008, St. Louis), Alabama cornerback Ramzee Robinson (2007, Detroit), Maine wide receiver Kevin McMahan (2006, Oakland), William Penn tight end Andy Stokes (2005, New England), Colorado State linebacker Andre Sommersell (2004, Oakland) and Gustavus Adolphus wide receiver Ryan Hoag (2003, Oakland).

Only Succop and Vobora have stuck. The rest? Historical footnotes whose names and memories are dusted off once a year.

But Ozougwu, who became a starter in the fifth game of his freshman year and was a team co-MVP this season, is different.

Ozougwu, who will graduate May 14 with a degree in economics, was named to the ESPN Academic All-District VI Football Team with a 3.41 cumulative grade-point average. He was the Owls' honoree for the fall Conference USA Spirit of Service awards as well as the school's nominee for the AFCA Good Works Team. Plus, he was among 30 candidates for the 2010 Lowe's Senior CLASS Award and was selected to the 2010 Arthur Ashe Sports Scholar Awards second team.

Lowsman Trophy awaits

One ex-Rice player, James Casey, is already on the Texans' roster. Another former Owl, N.D. Kalu, used to play for the Texans. He worked extensively with Ozougwu on his technique and footwork following Rice practices.

"It makes me so proud," Kalu said. "It's like a member of the family got drafted. I'm so happy for him."

Ozougwu is happy, too.

He plans to enjoy Irrelevant Week, when the former Owl and his family will be invited to Newport Beach, Calif., for a celebration of his accomplishment. Speaking to one of his former teammates recently, the possibility of being, well, irrelevant arose, but it was quickly dismissed. Now, he'll be the recipient of not only a check and a trip to Disneyland but also the Lowsman Trophy, a derivative of college football's most prestigious award.

Know how the Heisman features a player striking the stiff-arm pose? The Lowsman depicts a player fumbling the football. Nevertheless, Ozougwu will gladly accept the hardware.

"I don't know too much about it," he said. "I had no idea (Mr. Irrelevant) would be me, but I'm thankful for it. ... It's awesome."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #34
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe, but maybe his medical did not pan out or something. I am not saying PR was the only reason for the pick, just that I think it played a major role.
I am still trying to figure out how a guy basically noone (even in his hometown) has never heard of is a PR pick.
Old 05-01-2011   #35
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I am still trying to figure out how a guy basically noone (even in his hometown) has never heard of is a PR pick.
N.D. Kalu made the Texans do it. Actually though did anybody get his reaction to the pick since apparently he has a history with the guy?
Old 05-01-2011   #36
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
He is from Rice. I dont think the name is important, it is the school. A way to get Rice fans paying tickets. Its a seventh rounder, so it is not a big deal, but I think the Texans would have been the front runners to sign Ozougwu in FA, and could have used this opportunity to get someone else.
Old 05-01-2011   #37
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34365 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

When you are down to the 254th pick in the draft, there is no obvious choice left. It´s obvious that they didn`t like some of the boards favorites (Deunta Williams, Ian Williams...) - and neither did any other team. It´s obvious that they don`t believe Herzlich will be a player again someday - and neither did any other team.

So you go down your notes, look at the people you interviewed, and see if there is anyone you would like to give a try. And they saw something in Ozougwu that they liked so much, that they want to bring him in. Did they have to draft him, or would some other team get him in UDFA? We don`t know. But we do know, that he is the player they wanted.

And he fits a need: OLB depth - an intelligent player who could play all LB positions. Good ST player. If it works out, great. If not, well he was the 254th pick - those rarely work out. I don`t know how you can be upset with this pick.

Now let`s see if we can get one of the board favorites in UDFA...
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #38
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking Re: Cheta Ozougwu - Reaction to the pick?

I wish Michael Jasper fell to us and we made him Mr. Irrelevant! We could use a 400-lbs nose tackle who can move:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyWFh3Lp5u8
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #39
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hope I am wrong. I know that people get paid to do this. I know the FO has more information than we do. But does it hurt some of you when some of us give our opinions on players, especially if it is contrary to the FO?

Arian Foster-like good luck is rare.
I wasn't trying to be ugly about that. Just saying they have a lot more resources than most of us fans do. I am no Smithiak fan and I love reading all the opinions on here. That's why I come to this site.

Exceptions prove rules.

Ware- 270 lbs
Matthews- 255 lbs
Suggs- 260 lbs
Woodley- 265 lbs
Lance Briggs-242
James Farrior-243
Dumervil-248

Sometimes you just have to consider how much heart a player has.
Old 05-01-2011   #40
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Nigerian practice squadder.

He will suffer the same fate as OkOye after TC.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read