Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Derek Newton
I like the pick 17 43.59%
I dislike the pick 3 7.69%
On the fence 19 48.72%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2011   #1
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Derek Newton- First Impressions

Second to last pick
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #2
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Re: Derek Newton- First Impressions

Do we need a tackle at all? Couldn't we at least take a chance on whatever NT is left?
Old 04-30-2011   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Who? I gotta get off computer for a while. I'll check on our superstar to be selected next--later.
Old 04-30-2011   #4
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14869 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Do we need a tackle at all? Couldn't we at least take a chance on whatever NT is left?
Never know when Duane's going to overtrain again...
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #5
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Actually, depending on the CBA rules, we might end up losing Rashad Butler. This isn't a bad pick.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #6
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Actually, depending on the CBA rules, we might end up losing Rashad Butler. This isn't a bad pick.
If we lose Butler I like the pick. If not, I would have preferred a different position. I am neutral on this pick as well.
Old 04-30-2011   #7
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

First impression?

No impression. Filling up the depth chart.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-30-2011   #8
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

As a 7th rounder... I like the pick. If for nothing more than depth at OT.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #9
nytexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 1436 nytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Will most likely start off on practice squad as a project. Not a bad pick if he works out. Appears to be an athletic big man but very RAW.

Profootball weekly report:

Positives: Very good straight-line speed can lock on and steer defenders out of the hole. Can anchor and hold ground in pass protection. Appeared athletic moving through positional drills at the Combine. Works hard, plays hard and is motivated to succeed.

Negatives: Straight-linish and tight-hipped is not quick into blocks and struggles adjusting to movement. Can be outmaneuvered on the second level. Does not strike with authority in his hands. Can do a better job sustaining. Has faced marginal competition and is not battle-tested. Is raw and still learning the game.

Summary: Raw, junior-college transfer with intriguing athletic ability to be groomed as a developmental zone blocker.

NFL projection: Late draftable pick.
nytexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #10
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

man i wanted mr irrelevant. those guys are fun to watch to see how they actually do.
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #11
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3280 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember drafting him in the mock draft, here is some more info on the guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulluminatii View Post

Derek Newton, OT, Arkansas State

Analysis:
Quote:
Positives: Good initial quickness off the snap. Gains depth immediately with an efficient kick-slide. Long arms to reach the defender. Good lateral agility and balance to mirror the defender. Plays on the balls of his feet and with his knees bent. Shows good flexibility and at least moderate core strength to handle the bull rush. Good quickness and agility to block on the move in the running game. Shows a burst upfield and can re-direct. Good trap blocker due to his quickness and arm length. Beats the defender off the snap and can turn and seal the edge. Good recognition. Points out the blitzing defender and makes at least some of the line calls for this offense.

Negatives: Quick first step back off the snap, but takes too sharp of an angle when dropping back, giving the defender the edge. Thin arms with only moderate strength; unable to control the defender despite getting his hands on him. Better as a seal blocker moving in space than a drive blocker. Lacks the strength and too often the pad level to knock defenders off the ball. Would like to see nastiness in his play. Seems content with dancing rather than dominating.
Kulluminatii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #12
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
man i wanted mr irrelevant. those guys are fun to watch to see how they actually do.
I dont understand this post? We still have Mr. Irrelevant, in approximately 35 picks.
Old 04-30-2011   #13
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I dont understand this post? We still have Mr. Irrelevant, in approximately 35 picks.
oh ok u meant second to last pick we get my bad, i quit watching the draft after the 3rd round, my bad. hey atleast we get one more pick, my fav pick at that
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #14
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like good value, and insurance if Butler goes, or Brown goes down.

**Best Stephen A. Smith impression** - HOWEVA!

Would have liked Deunta Williams or DeAndre McDaniel to help out at safety.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #15
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Meh...
Old 04-30-2011   #16
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm at work is he a tackle or guard. I think it's good because

Roller skates Eric Winston sucks now. I hope he losses his Job to this kid
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #17
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Dude only did 24 reps on the bench press. Kinda weak. Probably camp fodder.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #18
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
I'm at work is he a tackle or guard. I think it's good because

Roller skates Eric Winston sucks now. I hope he losses his Job to this kid
He's listed as a tackle.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199937 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is a video about Newton. VIDEO

As an aside, look at 55-57 seconds on the video and see if anything bothers you.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199937 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Another review.

Quote:
Positives: Solid athlete... Versatile, will get some looks at Guard as well... Reasonably good length... Nice burst off the ball... Solid knee bender... Solid footwork... Solid lateral range and movement... Solid position blocker, seals well... Reasonably good mobility... Can get to the second level... Solid flexibility and body control... Does a solid job blocking on the move... ZBS only... Has some upside.

Negatives: Kick slide is a little stiff and upright... Inconsistent bender... Can be beat by outside speed, will lunge to reach corner... Not explosive, doesn't fire out into his blocks, more of a catcher... Doesn't stay on blocks well... Can be knocked off balance... Doesn't play with good leverage... Not real strong, lacks the strength to control his man... Doesn't get much movement in the running game.
link

Negatives remind me of Winston.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read