Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: TJ Yates
I like it 57 54.29%
I dislike it 27 25.71%
On the fence 21 20.00%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-14-2011   #61
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TJ Yates- Reaction to pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Those #s don't mean much to me (They would have if T.J. Yates was drafted in the first 3 rounds), but T.J. Yates wasn't drafted on his whole body of work. He was drafted because of his senior season where he looked like a completely different player than he did his freshman and junior season (he was hurt as a sophomore), so those #s are irrelevant and I can see why the Texans would take a flier on him based off the improvement he showed last season...his gains and improvement were through the roof. Any QB that you draft in the 5th round is going to have serious question marks, but if the mental aspect of the game is half the battle than we already have half the battle won.

Also I don't see much of a difference (if at all) in the arm strength of Yates and Schaub. I actually think Yates can gain a little arm strength if he corrects that horrible throwing motion. It looks like he's pushing the ball, instead of throwing it. Some of his throws just don't look right and I think that's the biggest weakness he has.
In Golf they call it steering, I guess pushing is accurate, but Ben Roethlisberger did the same thing his rookie year & still won a Super Bowl.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011   #62
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
In Golf they call it steering, I guess pushing is accurate, but Ben Roethlisberger did the same thing his rookie year & still won a Super Bowl.
Exactly. Ben could get by with this because of his incredible arm strength.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011   #63
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Yates highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHFHO...eature=related

Gotta love the 55 yard bomb under pressure at 1:40.
Yates is okay but who the hell is that #83??!! Pick him up too.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011   #64
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Yates highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHFHO...eature=related

Gotta love the 55 yard bomb under pressure at 1:40.

The play at 0:45 - taking a lot of heat from behind and throws corner fade for a TD with a defender hanging all over him.

At 3:35 - Another play with a defender hanging on him - for a score.

The play at 4:12 shows his quick release ..... defender bearing down upon him , lets it fly at the last moment taking a big shot that results in a big gain.

The one thing I worry about when messing with his mechanics is slowing down his release which is one of his major strengths. He might not have a cannon for an arm but he's pretty accurate and usually puts the ball where only his recievers can get it .....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011   #65
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Yates is okay but who the hell is that #83??!! Pick him up too.
Sorry ObsiWan. He decided not to come out this year. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2012&genpos=WR
Old 05-14-2011   #66
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

We're talking about a FIFTH round pick. I'm 100% on board with the pick. If they had taken him with a 4th or earlier, I wouldn't be quite so much. But 5th-7th round picks are typically projected to be backups, specialty players, ST aces, and/or flops. This team needs a QB they can groom for the future, whether that future be a backup to Schaub or a projecte starter somewhere. I'd rather that process start while Kubiak is still here. The fact that this guy comes from a college program that runs a very similar offense is great. The fact that he has a quick release is awesome. The fact that he's operated under duress in college means the speed of the NFL might not be quite as overwhelming as you'd expect for a 5th rounder.

I'm not expecting miracles, but I'm really optimistic for Yates. I think it was a great pick.
Old 05-14-2011   #67
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I was puzzled by the pick. Upset really.

Watching the highlights though, I still don't like the pick, but I like the kid.

He looks much more athletic than Schaub & his arm looks much stronger, some of the throws he made without setting his feet under him.....

I hope he isn't satisfied with being a back-up & works his butt off & prepares to start some day.
Old 05-14-2011   #68
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I read up on Yates a little, and found that his QB coach at UNC was longtime NFL QB coach John Shoop. Shoop has spent time as QB coach for Carolina, Chicago, Tampa Bay, and Oakland. You hear draftniks throw out terms such as "NFL ready" and such. Well, TJ has been tutored by a NFL experienced coach.

I wanted to see a defensive draft. The initial 5 selections, and 6 of 8 overall, satisfied me. The Texans needed a young QB to groom as a backup, as well as a young swing Tackle. Whether these were the right guys remains to be seen. But, I agree completely with the thought process.

Knowing what I know now (moving Mario to OLB), I have zero issues with this draft. Still, I reserve the right to blast it if these players fail to develop and help the Texans win. Because it's not about what I would have done. It's about what the Texans did. They have no room for error.
Old 05-14-2011   #69
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I am on board with this pick I think as long as he is not related to anyone named Andrea. I kid I think.
You didn't? Yes you did!! Wahhahaha! That's a good one Gary! You won't believe this but my son used to deliver Italian food their home before that tragic day.
Old 05-15-2011   #70
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
You didn't? Yes you did!! Wahhahaha! That's a good one Gary! You won't believe this but my son used to deliver Italian food their home before that tragic day.
I knew someone with the last name Yates and right after it happened people would call her at random and leave messages asking if she was Andrea and then they would say stuff like tell her it's the medicine and to get off of it they know because they had family on the same meds and on and on they would go. She was not related to Andrea but she sure did receive those phone calls right afterwards and she would tell the callers no, this is not Andrea she's in jail. Ms. Yates was my school bus attendant on the way home from school in 8th grade so on the way home she would tell me about those phone calls everyday and it was really funny the calls and the stories she told me. Sorry to go way off topic but it was a hoot to say the least so I wanted to share it since we are on thee subject.

Last edited by gary; 05-15-2011 at 12:41 AM.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011   #71
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I hated the pick when it happened. I looked up the kid because I did very little scouting of the QBs.

After I started remembering some of the Carolina games and how he had done a nice job in a bad situation, and reading how he played in a West Coast Offense, I now like the pick.

But my initial reaction was not so nice.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011   #72
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

double post
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011   #73
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Looks like Yates and Orlovsky.

Quote:
Can you see where I am going with this one? Simple really, Carroll needs a quarterback -- badly -- and Leinart badly needs a job. Heck, if going to Seattle rejuvenated wide receiver Mike Williams' career, imagine what it could do for Leinart?

Imagine the lovey-dovey press conference with Carroll extolling the virtues of Leinart, and the quarterback believing that being reunited with Carroll means his career is back on track. But once the press conference is over, would anyone besides Carroll and Leinart think it will work? I sure don't. And it has nothing to do with Carroll or new offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell. It has all to do with Leinart.

Leinart's poor work habits were legendary when he was first with the Cardinals. Once he matured and stayed away from the hot tub, his main problem went from work ethic to his overall physical skills to play the position. He became the king of the check down in Arizona, refusing to hold the ball, not being able to process quickly or deliver the ball in a timely fashion. He was often wild high and just plain wild.

His teammates in Arizona never came to his support when coach Ken Whisenhunt was clearly setting the stage for Leinart's eventual release. He spent all of last season with the Texans, but never ran a play in a game. Then Houston went ahead and selected Taylor Yates in the fifth round, clearly sending the signal to Leinart that his time with the organization had ended.

All of which sets the stage for us to connect the dots: Carroll and Leinart reunited in Seattle. It might happen, but I am fairly confident it won't work because Leinart is not up to the task.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...?module=HP_cp2
Old 05-15-2011   #74
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I hated the pick when it happened. I looked up the kid because I did very little scouting of the QBs.

After I started remembering some of the Carolina games and how he had done a nice job in a bad situation, and reading how he played in a West Coast Offense, I now like the pick.

But my initial reaction was not so nice.
I think we all had that reaction at the time of the pick .... It took looking at him closer to see he was worth the gamble.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011   #75
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I think we all had that reaction at the time of the pick .... It took looking at him closer to see he was worth the gamble.
Yeah, I know I did.

I hadn't really looked at ANY QBs in this draft because it was just about the last position (besides TE) that I expected us to draft. So when they picked a QB that early, I was pretty pissed off.

I got over it pretty quick, though.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011   #76
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

now that we've all processed the pick we can move on. if the NFL owners & players union agree

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 05-15-2011   #77
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

I seem to recall a lone voice minutes after the selection was made on draft day talking about how he was a solid choice and that he had the makings of a solid backup.

I seem to recall almost everyone else killing the Texans, yet this one lone voice assured the group that he was a solid player.

Now, if I could just remember who that person was...

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011   #78
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
I seem to recall a lone voice minutes after the selection was made on draft day talking about how he was a solid choice and that he had the makings of a solid backup.

I seem to recall almost everyone else killing the Texans, yet this one lone voice assured the group that he was a solid player.

Now, if I could just remember who that person was...

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 05-15-2011   #79
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
As The Todd would say, "Self High Five"

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #80
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
As The Todd would say, "Self High Five"

can you drink it? if you can, would you pay for it? remember who your talking to so far this stick has offered little in return, hence heading back to the former.

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read