Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: TJ Yates
I like it 57 54.29%
I dislike it 27 25.71%
On the fence 21 20.00%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2011   #41
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TJ Yates- Reaction to pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Daddy Bob staying true to his alma mater! JMO!
FWIW he went to South Carolina. Lol
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #42
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
it's a fifth round pick. Why not take a developmental QB to groom behind Schaub?
Because we were 6 -10 last year !!!!!!!!!!

Kubes got like 16 weeks left to prove he's a winner or else he's kicked outta town

Kubes won't have no time to groom somebody when he's out of work !!!!!

And schaub !!! Wants kubes leaves it will only be a matter of time before wade wants to bring in his own qb to tie the hip with
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #43
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

If you read the conference call quotes, North Carolina basically ran the Texans offense the past couple of years. If you watch the highlights, the plays are basically the same.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #44
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I watched some video on this kid ... He's got a really quick release and is very accurate. He hasnt had much protection , the pocket was chaotic to say the least. He found ways to escape or get rid of the ball on target even if he took a big hit in the process .....

Considering he will play behind Schaub and be under the eye of a very good QB coach in Kubiak , I like his chances to work out in the long run.

He was the last QB on the board at the time that has the potential to start in the NFL .... I really like this pick.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011   #45
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to share this impression which I must admit accurately reflected my own initial "what the.....?" impression of the pick.

Quote:
BAD JUKEBOX SONG PICK: T.J. Yates, QB, North Carolina (5th round, 152nd overall). The draft seemed to be going along just fine, Wade Phillips was cruising along steering the ship, picking defensive player after defensive player (five in a row to start the draft), and then apparently he ceded control for one pick. And presto, T.J. Yates is a Texan! I'm not crazy about Yates, and the franchise's history drafting quarterbacks has been less than stellar. This was the equivalent of...well, you know how when you're hanging out at a bar and one of your buddies has control of the jukebox? And he plays five really good songs in a row, and decides to let one of your friends with a very dull, almost nonexistent musical ear pick a song? And you wind up with a death metal song completely undercutting the mood in the room? Well, T.J. Yates was death metal for me.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011   #46
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Bleecher Report ranks their impressions of how successful a career this class of 2011 QB's will become & grade T.J. Yates #9. Found it somewhat interesting enough to share - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...ie-qbs/page/10

Quote:
9. Taylor Yates

T.J. Yates comes in as a backup to Matt Schaub. As a result, he will get plenty of time to learn the game.

Yates is a solid prospect who has good upside, but he is far from ready to be a starting quarterback.

He most likely ends up as a career backup, but he will be a backup you can depend on.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011   #47
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Bleecher Report ranks their impressions of how successful a career this class of 2011 QB's will become & grade T.J. Yates #9. Found it somewhat interesting enough to share - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...ie-qbs/page/10
Beer - didnt see you say much about Yates as a player , just that ML would likely be gone and Yates makes the final roster - what do you think of him as a prospect ?

I Miss Good Schaub.
Sponsored links
Old 05-13-2011   #48
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I also saw Dilfer rave about this guy during ESPNs Draft show, so perhaps that's worth something ? Atleast Kubiak isn't the only guy who likes him.
But re our QB situation, I'm still trying to figure out why they retained DanO while releaseing Grossman ?
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011   #49
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I also saw Dilfer rave about this guy during ESPNs Draft show, so perhaps that's worth something ? Atleast Kubiak isn't the only guy who likes him.
But re our QB situation, I'm still trying to figure out why they retained DanO while releaseing Grossman ?
DanO was signed to a multi-year contract and Grossman to a 1 year deal. Grossman wanted the chance to start and knew he wasn't going to get that chance here.

So when little Shanny went to Washington to install the same offense and with no incumbent QB and a new offense, he had a chance to start.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011   #50
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Beer - didnt see you say much about Yates as a player , just that ML would likely be gone and Yates makes the final roster - what do you think of him as a prospect ?
To be honest QB was not even on my list for the Texans, my focus was defense driven, so many needs & holes to fill so my initial reaction was one of displeasure & shock. I did have the Texans taking a flyer w/QB prospect in my last mock (Mr. Irrelevant pick -Scott Tolzien - who went undrafted) but was not prepared to invest a 5th rd. pick on that position.

T.J. Yates is much like Schaub in his drops, not the most mobile QB either. But in the classic pocket passer mold, he sets-up clean & reads through his progressions. We've all read by now they used the same system in Carolina so that is a big asset to Kubiak, more ready made than most any other QB for this system in his class. He lacks arm strength, especially when compared to Orlovsky but shows better pocket composure & decision making, hence if he can get into camp sooner than later he can develop on a fast track to win the back-up role, if however the lockout keeps everyone strung out he is unlikely to develop quick enough so even working his butt off will have to prove he is worth a roster spot as third on depth chart.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 05-13-2011   #51
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I preferred Nathan Enderle from Idaho who went 160 to CHicago.
Old 05-13-2011   #52
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I preferred Nathan Enderle from Idaho who went 160 to CHicago.
Yates is more Pro-ready. Enderle may end up better but that is only a projection, odds are kinda stacked against him in Chicago that's an exceptionally tough situation to play in the windy city.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 05-13-2011   #53
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yates is more Pro-ready. Enderle may end up better but that is only a projection, odds are kinda stacked against him in Chicago that's an exceptionally tough situation to play in the windy city.
Interesting, I have Enderle more pro ready by slight margin but probably because I have watched him actually play games and Yates, everything came after we drafted him. Anyway, I think playing behind a solid starter will benefit each. Yates is a Texan and my guy now.
Old 05-13-2011   #54
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
To be honest QB was not even on my list for the Texans, my focus was defense driven, so many needs & holes to fill so my initial reaction was one of displeasure & shock. I did have the Texans taking a flyer w/QB prospect in my last mock (Mr. Irrelevant pick -Scott Tolzien - who went undrafted) but was not prepared to invest a 5th rd. pick on that position.

T.J. Yates is much like Schaub in his drops, not the most mobile QB either. But in the classic pocket passer mold, he sets-up clean & reads through his progressions. We've all read by now they used the same system in Carolina so that is a big asset to Kubiak, more ready made than most any other QB for this system in his class. He lacks arm strength, especially when compared to Orlovsky but shows better pocket composure & decision making, hence if he can get into camp sooner than later he can develop on a fast track to win the back-up role, if however the lockout keeps everyone strung out he is unlikely to develop quick enough so even working his butt off will have to prove he is worth a roster spot as third on depth chart.
I have to agree with the initial reaction .... I wasnt thrilled y any stretch of the imagination.

Your evaluation is about right on Yates the player. Lots of things to like about him. His transition to the Texans playbook will be more terminology than anything else.

One of the biggest things I saw from him in watching tape was how well he performed when under durress , which was the vast majority of the time. He didnt let pressure get to him and his release is very sudden allowing him to get rid of the ball almost instantly.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 05-13-2011   #55
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

As I try to warm up to this pick, I am constantly reminded that Yates averaged almost 12 interceptions each season at UNC against 15 touchdowns within his four years as a full-time starter.
Old 05-13-2011   #56
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
As I try to warm up to this pick, I am constantly reminded that Yates averaged almost 12 interceptions each season at UNC against 15 touchdowns within his four years as a full-time starter.
He didnt have a lot of protection .... that contributed to the INT numbers. He seemed to be under durress on almost every play.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 05-13-2011   #57
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
He didnt have a lot of protection .... that contributed to the INT numbers. He seemed to be under durress on almost every play.
Valid point. But I still have to wonder if it will occur with adequate protection. That can only be determined once he gets out on the field......if he ever does.
Old 05-13-2011   #58
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I am on board with this pick I think as long as he is not related to anyone named Andrea. I kid I think.
Old 05-13-2011   #59
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
**** dis shit Im mad We don't need a qb. ESP for a 5th round pick. We need some much more help in other areas
??? The backup QB/developmental QB position was a known need for this team going into the draft...a lot of people here talked about it. (I expected them to target a QB around where they did.....how the hell could anybody not with their targeted FA backup QB getting beat out of his job every offseason by street FAs) Seriously, how people are shocked by this pick is confusing and surprising...it wasn't that hard to see coming.

The Yates pick was one of my favorite picks in the draft, at worst I think he'll be able to develop into a Sage Rosenfels type backup.......which is a pretty good backup who you don't worry about getting put in as a pinch starter. At best he's a player who can push for a starting spot in this league. So all in all, it was a savvy pick and a NEEDED pick for the Texans. Dan O needs to go and Lienart will most likely move on elsewhere as well. The Texans needed to spend a pick on this position and I'm glad they did.

If the QB position is the most important position in all of sports, the backup QB position is high up there as well, because when a injury takes place, you'll be praying for a good #2 option.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 05-14-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011   #60
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Those #s don't mean much to me (They would have if T.J. Yates was drafted in the first 3 rounds), but T.J. Yates wasn't drafted on his whole body of work. He was drafted because of his senior season where he looked like a completely different player than he did his freshman and junior season (he was hurt as a sophomore), so those #s are irrelevant and I can see why the Texans would take a flier on him based off the improvement he showed last season...his gains and improvement were through the roof. Any QB that you draft in the 5th round is going to have serious question marks, but if the mental aspect of the game is half the battle than we already have half the battle won.

Also I don't see much of a difference (if at all) in the arm strength of Yates and Schaub. I actually think Yates can gain a little arm strength if he corrects that horrible throwing motion. It looks like he's pushing the ball, instead of throwing it. Some of his throws just don't look right and I think that's the biggest weakness he has.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read