Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: TJ Yates
I like it 57 54.29%
I dislike it 27 25.71%
On the fence 21 20.00%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2011   #1
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default TJ Yates- Reaction to pick

What do you think?

No typos on this one!
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #2
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 12627 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx
Default Re: TJ Yates- Reaction to pick

<--- What I think
Old 04-30-2011   #3
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

From CBS Sports:

Quote:
TJ Yates

Overview

Despite starting the previous three seasons, Yates entered his senior campaign fighting with Bryan Renner for playing time. Not only did Yates win the job, he earned Honorable Mention All-ACC honors as one of the more improved quarterbacks in the country.

His maturity and mental toughness throughout a season most Tar Heel fans would rather forget is sure to impress NFL teams. For Yates to earn a shot in the NFL, teams will have to be impressed with his intangibles, because his lack of ideal arm strength and accuracy makes him tough to grade as anything more than a late-round consideration.

Analysis

Positives: Cerebral quarterback who does the little things well. Extends his arm and carries out the play-action fake well. Possesses enough mobility and pocket sense to feel the pressure coming, step up to avoid it and buy extra time for his receivers to separate. Understands the offense. Shows the confidence and recognition to move defenders with his eyes and make his progressive reads. Good accuracy in the short to intermediate zones. Consistently throws his receivers open on underneath routes. Not a legitimate scrambling threat, but will take what the defense gives him. Has made steady gains throughout his career. Emerged as the unquestioned leader of this team amid plenty of off-field turmoil.

Negatives: Might be maxed out. Doesn't possess the size, athleticism or arm strength most teams are looking for in a developmental prospect. Only average arm strength and accuracy outside of the hashes.
Apparently Gary Kubiak sees things differently.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #4
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

I watched a couple of NC games and he wasn't that good. If we were going to pick a QB, I'd prefer the kid for Alabama, Greg McElroy. I watched several of his games and he good QB. Reminds me of Berney Kosar; no arm strength, good head.

First pick I don't like.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #5
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 12627 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Ok venting is over. I do want someone to replace DanO, and that is now my expectation for this guy. At least we have a training camp arm .... wait ... crap lockout
Old 04-30-2011   #6
dinkatoid
Veteran

Rep Power: 628 dinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respected

They brought him up earlier on ESPN, Dilfer said he really liked the guy. He said his mechanics were a train wreck, but if a good team could develop him, he could see him turning into a Tony Romo type QB. I think Kubiak could work with him.

I forgot who said it, but it has been said that its not a bad idea to draft a qb every year in the late rounds. If one turns out and turns into a Kolb type situation (I know he wasnt late round, but has some demand), you have made it worth your while.
dinkatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #7
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

At least Alex Brink was a 7th...WhoTF is this clown?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-30-2011   #8
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2511 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected

I watched him in a few games and he had some nice skills.

Accurate, good release, carried that team through all those suspensions.

In the 5th round? Sure why not
mariowillshine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #9
nytexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 1436 nytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well Kubiak and Smith must have taken over the draft again or Philips had to use the restroom and didn't get back in time for the pick.

A QB with no arm, great pick

nytexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #10
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Pro day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkylkpFRSeI

^warning: Quinn footage as well
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #11
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

First pick I dislike. I think he could develop into something, but there are safeties, defensive tackles, and linebackers on the board that I would rather have.

EDIT: Re looked at my board and notes. I cant change my vote, but I would change it to on the fence.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #12
dinkatoid
Veteran

Rep Power: 628 dinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respected

"espn_afcsouth: Kiper said Yates' pocket awareness is 10 times > than Gabbert's. Dilfer loves Yates' release. Calls him a sleeper starter."
dinkatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #13
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

They loved him on ESPN just now. Dilfer just said he is the only sleeper/possible starter of the "backup" QBs available later in this draft.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #14
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Love this pick.
stingray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #15
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Aw hell, I just listened to Mel Kiper and Trent Dilfer rave about this guy. Dilfer said Yates is special and is the one sleeper starter in the late rounds at quarterback.

Tremendous pocket awareness, escapability, and quick release.

From Dilfer's enthusiasm alone, I'm very pleased with this pick.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #16
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

LOL @ the negatives listed for TJ Yates. "May have maxed out". That's the last thing I would say about TJ Yates. I saw him play for years at North Carolina and he improved dramatically over the years, maybe more than any other QB in the ACC. He's got a good head, and came up pretty clutch at times for NC. TJ Yates is a good player to develop if your Kubiak, as he has shown that he takes very well to coaching.

I like the player, no doubt. I just really like DeAndre McDaniel as a starting SS for us, but it's looking more and more like not many, if any teams agree with me.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #17
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Yates highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHFHO...eature=related

Gotta love the 55 yard bomb under pressure at 1:40.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #18
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like it.

Dan O hasn't developed into the back up we needed.

New project sounds good and unlike Dan O he is not a huge project but a gem to polish.

Has all the upstairs stuff down, just needs some technique work.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #19
texanchris
Veteran

Rep Power: 3782 texanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually like this pick. Hopefully he can beat out Orvlosky by the end of the season and be our backup in case schaub goes down. ESPN and NFLN both had great things to say about him so if they like him then i like him.
texanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #20
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Yates highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHFHO...eature=related

Gotta love the 55 yard bomb under pressure at 1:40.
Yeah, everyone says he has a noodle for an arm but I thought he made some decent long throws and gets a bit of zip as well.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read