Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2011   #1
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Quinn to safety (?)

(Please merge, I am sure there must be a thread some where)

Interview with Vance Joseph, article from AJ:

Quote:
When asked about what he's looking for out of his safeties, Joseph said: Its a split safety defense, so we really want two twins. We want two guys who can tackle. We want two guys who are smart. We want two guys who can cover and have range over top of the zone. Once we find that, thats the solution."

When asked specifically about Quin (and after he got the company line comments out of the way about playing guys where they're the best fit, yadda yadda), Joseph said, "I think, Quin, he can do those things. Being an ex-corner, hes going to have better cover skills than most safeties. Those traits he does have. We need to find one more.
http://www.examiner.com/houston-texa...be-a-done-deal
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303257 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Quinn to safety (?)

Well that sounds like Quinn to safety is a done deal.
Old 04-30-2011   #3
adboy
Rookie

Rep Power: 17 adboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Famer

"being an ex-corner" it's a done deal. also means that we are probably getting a vet corner
adboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #4
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

It's hard enough to find a safety that can do one of those duties consistently well. Finding 2 that can do "everything??" Maybe, you rethink the system.....at least for now.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #5
PockyAF
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3090 PockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respected

What do you guys think of Quin at SS and Carmichael at FS? Carmichael is apparently a huge ballhawk (10 Ints in 2 seasons), but a bit unreliable as a tackler. He does give good effort in run support though.

I highly doubt that Carmichael is going to be our CB, unless we purge our current core (Allen, McCain, Molden, McMannis). And we have always been blessed with having our 4th round picks play like 2nd round pick. I wouldn't be surprise if our next 4th rounder fall in line with the others; just based on history.

BTW, Vance Joesph was saying that he thinks our safety combos should have similar skill sets. So don't think because Quin isn't 210-220, means he can't play SS for us.
PockyAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyAF View Post
What do you guys think of Quin at SS and Carmichael at FS? Carmichael is apparently a huge ballhawk (10 Ints in 2 seasons), but a bit unreliable as a tackler. He does give good effort in run support though.

I highly doubt that Carmichael is going to be our CB, unless we purge our current core (Allen, McCain, Molden, McMannis). And we have always been blessed with having our 4th round picks play like 2nd round pick. I wouldn't be surprise if our next 4th rounder fall in line with the others; just based on history.

BTW, Vance Joesph was saying that he thinks our safety combos should have similar skill sets. So don't think because Quin isn't 210-220, means he can't play SS for us.
I'd rather let Dominque Barber @6' 215lbs play the strong and keep RC @corner. He has everything he needs to develop into a good corner so coach him up. We have McMannis and Carmichael in reserve and both should develop well.
Old 04-30-2011   #7
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
It's hard enough to find a safety that can do one of those duties consistently well. Finding 2 that can do "everything??" Maybe, you rethink the system.....at least for now.
I hate the idea of "Two Safeties Who Do The Same Thing", especially when both of the safeties can't cover to save their lives. If moving Quinn to FS will make the secondary as a whole better then I'm all for it, but they need to get experienced help back there. I'm not totally in love with the idea of moving around a sophomore to a different position but whatever.
Sponsored links
Old 04-30-2011   #8
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by adboy View Post
"being an ex-corner" it's a done deal. also means that we are probably getting a vet corner
They better, Quinn is our best corner. That's my only problem with all the talk of moving him to FS. Are we going to march Allen and Kjax out there to start? Doesn't exactly give me a warm fuzzy.
Old 04-30-2011   #9
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27347 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
They better, Quinn is our best corner. That's my only problem with all the talk of moving him to FS. Are we going to march Allen and Kjax out there to start? Doesn't exactly give me a warm fuzzy.
Having Quinn and KJax/Allen out there with rookies safeties sounds even worse to me... moving Quinn to FS is a good move - we need a veteran CB either way.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #10
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
Having Quinn and KJax/Allen out there with rookies safeties sounds even worse to me... moving Quinn to FS is a good move - we need a veteran CB either way.
We do need a veteran CB either way. Aso or Taylor would be ideal then yes we have flexibility to move Quinn. But we still won't have experienced safeties even if Quinn moves, it's going to take him some time. And I guess that leaves Barber at SS?
Old 04-30-2011   #11
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quin is the teams top corner on the Texans roster, and they really want to move him to safety ? When's the last time you heard of a team moving it's best tackle to guard, becuase I can't think of an example ? And I do think that's a valid analogy.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226329 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Quin is the teams top corner on the Texans roster, and they really want to move him to safety ? When's the last time you heard of a team moving it's best tackle to guard, becuase I can't think of an example ? And I do think that's a valid analogy.
Over the years, there have been corners who've bumped inside (Woodson, for example) and there have been tackles who've bumped inside (Tony Mandarich, lol)... but granted you usually don't do it to your BEST CB/OT.

The idea, though, is to make Quin NOT be our best CB. Pick up somebody like Aso, and moving Quin to FS is an excellent idea.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #13
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27347 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

I never really understood, why CB is rated that much higher than S. Is Reevis and Aso really helping their team that much more than Polamalu or Reed? Safeties are in on a lot of plays, while CBs take away the other teams WR...

I think, this team desperately needs saftey help for those corners. I don`t see that much of a difference between Allen, Quinn or Jackson, so Im really fine with Quinn moving to FS, where he can get those other guys some real help, that they were missing whole of last year.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #14
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

So what is Pollards future? What is in the Texans future for SS?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #15
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78568 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Well, Bernard got cut loose so my guess is he finds/attempts to find employment elsewhere.

Regarding SS, FA perhaps. I won't be surprised to see Shilo Keo there before it's all said and done. JMO

I'm sure folks more knowlegeable than myself will discuss it further.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Dear Texans Front Office,

You know we want Namdi Asomuagh (sp). You've pretty much have told us no and we are trying to understand. However, getting Eric Weddle would be awesome too and we would be okay even if he's the only FA we get this year. Would it really kill us to put some money up for this guy?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #17
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 76476 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Dear Texans Front Office,

You know we want Namdi Asomuagh (sp). You've pretty much have told us no and we are trying to understand. However, getting Eric Weddle would be awesome too and we would be okay even if he's the only FA we get this year. Would it really kill us to put some money up for this guy?
In what way has the FO indicated they aren't interested in Aso? I can't see moving Quin to safety as an indicator. Rather the opposite.
FA wish list:
Aso CB
Weddle S
Breaston WR
Leach FB
Butler OT
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226329 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm sure Pollard ends up somewhere, I just don't know if he'll be a starter unless someone gets injured.

I think we'll get another safety in FA. I think we may get one of the upper tier safeties on the market. Hopefully, we get one of the better CBs in FA, too.

I think that it's important that we don't get too much younger in the defensive backfield. We need more experienced players back there. If we're starting all our rookie DBs along with 2nd and 3rd year DBs... well... I have a bad feeling about that.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #19
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Well, Bernard got cut loose so my guess is he finds/attempts to find employment elsewhere.

Regarding SS, FA perhaps. I won't be surprised to see Shilo Keo there before it's all said and done. JMO

I'm sure folks more knowlegeable than myself will discuss it further.
Thanks. Shiloh Keo as our starting SS? Playing next to our brand new FS Quinn? With 2nd year CB Jackson, and rookie Harris? Good God can we get anymore inexperienced? Is Jason Allen being considered for a starting CB spot? Is he even signed right now?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #20
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78568 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks. Shiloh Keo as our starting SS? Playing next to our brand new FS Quinn? With 2nd year CB Jackson, and rookie Harris? Good God can we get anymore inexperienced? Is Jason Allen being considered for a starting CB spot? Is he even signed right now?
SM, I didn't intend to come across as stating that Keo would be our starter on opening day. I really think the FO will be very active in FA once it occurs and aquire a starting calibur safety and CB. I was saying rather that I can forsee him coming along with coaching and practice to be able to work himself into the line up "before it's all said and done" meaning seeing time on the field mid to late season.

RE Jason Allen, I believe seeing in another post that he has one year remaining on his contract IIRC.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read