Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-29-2011   #1
Ckw

Default Am I just bitter/ignorant? Not happy with the draft so far.

I really look forward to your comments but so far, I am NOT happy with this draft. Maybe I just don't know some of these players well enough but as of now, here are the players I would have rather had with our picks:

Nick Fairley (have we ever had a dominating NT let alone one that was talked about for a while as the #1 pick?!?), Robert Quinn, Prince Amukamara, Rahim Moore, Marvin Austin, & Stephen Paea. All of these guys seem like better and more proven players as well as guys that solve positions of need. My ideal draft would have gone like this:

1st: Robert Quinn
2nd: Rahim Moore
2nd: Stephen Paea (trade up a little earlier to get him by maybe including a 4th next year or something like that along with our 3rd and 5th this year)

This would have solved our need for a STUD rush LB, an excellent cover FS, and one of the strongest DTs I've ever seen. Don't know why we always have to go off and pick these no name guys? Did we not learn our lesson with guys like Babin?

Please, rip my post to pieces and make me feel better about all this.
Old 04-29-2011   #2
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Am I just bitter/ignorant? Not happy with the draft so far.

you just fell in love with the wrong guys, not wades type
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #3
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Your draft doesn't look half bad but I think if you do some research on these guys over the next couple of days you are going to be alright with the picks. I'm with the majority of people and totally stoked about our draft but its not like it means much until they put on the pads anyway.
Old 04-29-2011   #4
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
you just fell in love with the wrong guys, not wades type
What is Wade's type? Perhaps that will help.
Old 04-29-2011   #5
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 172517 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
I really look forward to your comments but so far, I am NOT happy with this draft. Maybe I just don't know some of these players well enough but as of now, here are the players I would have rather had with our picks:

Nick Fairley (have we ever had a dominating NT let alone one that was talked about for a while as the #1 pick?!?), Robert Quinn, Prince Amukamara, Rahim Moore, Marvin Austin, & Stephen Paea. All of these guys seem like better and more proven players as well as guys that solve positions of need. My ideal draft would have gone like this:

2nd: Stephen Paea (trade up a little earlier to get him by maybe including a 4th next year or something like that along with our 3rd and 5th this year)

This would have solved our need for a STUD rush LB, an excellent cover FS, and one of the strongest DTs I've ever seen. Don't know why we always have to go off and pick these no name guys? Did we not learn our lesson with guys like Babin?

Relax, my friend. You are ready to see some results for a change and as a Texans fan from the start you are entitled to fold your arms and wonder.

We've seen these road signs before, it's normal to think we haven't actually gone anywhere.
Old 04-29-2011   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

what happens this year is anyone's guess, including if there is even a "this year". I like the draft and the direction we are heading.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #7
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I try not to fall too in love with specific players outside of the first round. I can see why people aren't too happy with the Watt pick because he's not that "exciting" type guy that one would expect for a first round pick. The second round and beyond I am glad they are sticking with positions of need and I think they got a good value getting Harris in the 3rd.

I wanted Moore as well but getting a pass rushing guy for our OLB spot is a good thing. So far in this draft the positions seem right and the players pass the smell test. It's weird not seeing an "Earl Mitchell" or a "Jacoby Jones" type pick in either of these rounds.
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2011   #8
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 108923 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

I love this draft. We picked tier 1 athletes with high work ethic.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #9
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34365 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The thing is - we are all not experts. Some of us watch a lot of films and acutally know what they`re talking about, but in the end it`s still a little guessing game.

But if you read a lot analysises and look at where players are supposed to go, you can get an impression on how good the chances are, that a player actually pans out.

Now I really like the players that you put there - but the players drafted are not really that far off on the big boards you see on the internet. And then you have to think about which player fits our system, what the plan is with other players and FA.

And when they draft 3 players in needes positions that were projected about at the time that they were supposed to go or a lot higher, you are doing a good job.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #10
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 108923 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The NFL Hall of Fame is filled with no-name draft prospects.

Go back and read the draft guides from two years ago, and see how many of those big names actually became world-changers.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #11
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2779 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel the exact opposite, I love this draft. We have 3 guys that could have gone in the 1st round building through establishing the front 7 first. We are now set up to tie up most of our spending money on a veteran FA corner instead of drafting and then relying on another inexperienced one like Prince.
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

best draft in a landslide

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #13
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

DT and QB are the two most highly bust-likely players you can draft. Fairley is not a can't miss prospect. He's got the biggest complaint a DT can get---motor
Old 04-29-2011   #14
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Relax, my friend. You are ready to see some results for a change and as a Texans fan from the start you are entitled to fold your arms and wonder.

We've seen these road signs before, it's normal to think we haven't actually gone anywhere.
Too true. I guess I am conditioned to doubt the Texans ability to evaluate talent and draft properly.

It just hurts to look back at our drafts and look at the NUMEROUS mistakes we have made. To think we could have guys like Clay Matthews (who I swear to you I wanted over Brian Cushing), Patrick Willis (who I also wanted over Okoye), Darrel Revis, Devin McCourty, William Moore (who I wanted to draft over Barwin), and many more I simply can't think of right now.

Old 04-29-2011   #15
adboy
Rookie

Rep Power: 18 adboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Famer

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...in-three-picks
espn seems to like our draft so far
adboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #16
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

It might be hard for Texans fans to understand as over the years our drafts have sucked for the most part and dont seem to make sense for the system or the current need. I think some of that started when Casserly wouldn't give Capers what he wanted on Defense. It continued when we had two DCs who were constantly making changes to their defense and had no true scheme to draft for.

Wade Phillips for those who only know him from the Dallas sidelines where he looked confused is one hell of a DC and he knows how to run his hybrid 3-4. He likes high motor guys he can move around and bring pressure from anywhere anytime in any situation. The name of the game is disruption and turnover! Look at his first and second round picks and almost all of the write ups on these guys will mention they are high energy guys who seem to have a love of the game. The Harris pick was a need pick, we needed a DB and Harris was the best one on the board.

I will be curious to see if the Texans pick up an offensive player and let Wade get the rest of his groceries in FA or let him go D with the whole draft.

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #17
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 15483 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we wanted Paea but the Bears but us to the punch.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #18
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
I feel the exact opposite, I love this draft. We have 3 guys that could have gone in the 1st round building through establishing the front 7 first. We are now set up to tie up most of our spending money on a veteran FA corner instead of drafting and then relying on another inexperienced one like Prince.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
best draft in a landslide
I'm with these two. I LOVE this draft and think these guys are going to be huge reasons why our defense will witness such improvement. Watt and Reed are both going to quickly become fan favorites by the way they play.

Harris is excellent value at the bottom of the 2nd and should create a wonderful ripple effect in our secondary. A veteran FA CB is needed and that would have been the case even if we got Peterson. Picture Ike Taylor and Kareem Jackson as our 1-2 then Harris who will play Nickle and Glover that switches to FS.

This draft could end up being just as good if not better than '06
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #19
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

You are perfectly within your rights to doubt our draft strategy. I personally am not and will not be connvinced we've had a good draft until we make the playoffs and win a playoff game. The management has had ample number of opportunities to fix this defense but never fully tried fixing it. I think this year thanks to Wade Phillips we are finally trying to fix the persistent gaps we've had in our defense for years. So, we'll see what these guys can do, but I certainly think we are at least drafting guys who will work hard and give it their all on the field.
Old 04-29-2011   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Too true. I guess I am conditioned to doubt the Texans ability to evaluate talent and draft properly.

It just hurts to look back at our drafts and look at the NUMEROUS mistakes we have made. To think we could have guys like Clay Matthews (who I swear to you I wanted over Brian Cushing), Patrick Willis (who I also wanted over Okoye), Darrel Revis, Devin McCourty, William Moore (who I wanted to draft over Barwin), and many more I simply can't think of right now.

After three rounds into "Texan Wade Phillips Era" I'd give him a heap of credit & say there's a new sheriff in town

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read