Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2011   #61
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 3 - 60: Brandon "Blanket" Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I happen to be a fan of all three picks and I hope and think they will work out but they should not just be expected to be the answer right away so hopefully some free agents are signed when the time is right.
Yeah, we need quality free agents bad! Signing a really good veteran CB "needs" to happen right away. Nnamdi is a no brainer no matter what he costs. He's an instant fix that could help the young corners, but I know that Bob's not going to spend the $70+ Million dollars that he'll cost to get him. They'll need to get the next best guy since we know they're to cheap to sign Nnamdi. Looking for a space eating DT is a huge need as well. If they could find a decent one there and get a really good quality CB, these new rookies and with what we currently have we could turn the defense around pretty quickly actually. They've got to get "quality" in free agency though. Not just cast offs from other teams like they've done every other year in free agency.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #62
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I was just being a smart a**. I read what you 2 were talking about. That's why the J/K. Texecutioner seems to be in a foul mood lately.
Dude's always in a foul mood. If you're not criticizing the team or a player on the team you're a homer. I've just come to accept that that's just who he is.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #63
sportfan73
Rookie

Rep Power: 136 sportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Highlights.

We just got a guy projected to be late 1st or early 2nd. Why is that a bad thing?
he was projected there when people thought Prince and Smith were going in the top-15, not when they slid to be back end of the 1st round.
sportfan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #64
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Dude's always in a foul mood. If you're not criticizing the team or a player on the team you're a homer. I've just come to accept that that's just who he is.
Trolling me still?? If that's what you've come to expect as a proud homer by your own admission then why are you even trying to interject a conversation with me?? I try to ignore your posts as they are a waste of time and your track record of ramblings has been dead wrong for years so if that's your position on me then why are you wasting your time involving yourself with anything to do with me or what I post? You're a troll that needs attention that's why. I don't even think you believe half the stuff you post and neither do others. You post these ramblings for attention as far as I'm concerned. This last post of yours had nothing to do with the thread either. If my objectivity on this team hurts your feelings so bad then simply put me on ignore because I have no desire to waste any more time on reading your Pom Pom posts that are nothing but spin.
Old 04-30-2011   #65
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Trolling me still?? If that's what you've come to expect as a proud homer by your own admission then why are you even trying to interject a conversation with me?? I try to ignore your posts as they are a waste of time and your track record of ramblings has been dead wrong for years so if that's your position on me then why are you wasting your time involving yourself with anything to do with me or what I post? You're a troll that needs attention that's why. I don't even think you believe half the stuff you post and neither do others. You post these ramblings for attention as far as I'm concerned. This last post of yours had nothing to do with the thread either. If my objectivity on this team hurts your feelings so bad then simply put me on ignore because I have no desire to waste any more time on reading your Pom Pom posts that are nothing but spin.
Dont flatter yourself homie...your garbage is well known around here..most times you don't even formulate a credible argument..you just attack posters without even reading their actual posts.....pretty much what you did with I-caks in this very thread. Putting me on your ignore list would be an honor for me...Moron.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #66
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Dont flatter yourself homie...your garbage is well known around here..most times you don't even formulate a credible argument..you just attack posters without even reading their actual posts.....pretty much what you did with I-caks in this very thread. Putting me on your ignore list would be an honor for me...Moron.
How about proving your statements for once. Go back in the archives and prove where I've been wrong on the Texans. I can go back and pull up tons of old posts where you've been way off and still are. I've actually done that on yours. You just spout off nonsense that you can't prove.

I never even quoted Icak's post in here until he got confused with what I was arguing dumbass. Reading comprehsion has never been one of your strong points. You just slid into this thread to cry and whine. Trolling as I said before. If my posts hurt your feelings so much then why read them and respond? You need attention obviously.
Old 04-30-2011   #67
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 105796 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Ahhhhhhh........I love football!
Old 04-30-2011   #68
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My point was that Reeves was horrible here. Spin that all you want, but he was. He was horrible with the Cowboys before we got him and Frog specifically tried to tell many that as well at the time. The fact that he had fans here and still does is mind boggling at this point. He may have been better than the other trio of bad CB's we've had over the years, but that didn't change the fact that he was garbage.

And why don't we wait and see what Harris does before acting like he's that great of a pick just yet. Lets not forget how great people thought Kareem Jackson was going to be and how NFL ready he supposedly was. We also had Moulden and Bennet that everyone was so high on. Harris has potential and he wasn't a bad pick or anything, but I don't get all the excitement right away. It seems like people think that every time we pick a CB that we've automatically nailed it.
This. I think Reeves was still a Bad Cornerback even if he could stay with a receiver. I hope that one of these CB's that we've drafted work out, but so far we've picked close to half a dozen CB's since Smith has been here and it's annoying that he's like 1 for 6 so far. And that's only because Quinn was not as bad as Jackson (I guess?) and he was a 4th rounder.

If you want to count S drafted as well you bump it up to like 1 for 9.

EDIT: Petition to change title of thread to Brandon "No Fly Zone" Harris.

EDIT2: That being said, I still think Harris was a good pick because he represented very good value where we got him.
Old 04-30-2011   #69
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

This thread kills me.
Old 04-30-2011   #70
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 87155 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LOl at the fact that Jaque Reeves actually had fans around here. The guy was terrible. If that is still the standard that people are okay with around here for DB's than it's no wonder Rick Smith and Kubiak fail to address the secondary every year in free agency.
Would of rather had Reeves than Jackson last year, thats for sure.

And to all of u referring to J. Allen he was the best CB we had last year, better than KJac and Quinn. I would rather have J Allen and Quinn as our CBs next season if we dont get a big name FA CB, than i would KJac and Quinn. And Harris cant be worse than fall down jackson anyways.
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #71
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 105796 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Would of rather had Reeves than Jackson last year, thats for sure.

And to all of u referring to J. Allen he was the best CB we had last year, better than KJac and Quinn. I would rather have J Allen and Quinn as our CBs next season if we dont get a big name FA CB, than i would KJac and Quinn. And Harris cant be worse than fall down jackson anyways.
I agree, JR was better than last years bunch and when Allen came on board there was a noticeable improvement.
Old 05-01-2011   #72
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, the FO made a bad call by drafting KJ because he was the most NFL ready CB. They compounded that mistake by allowing him to start all season even when it was painfully obvious that he was not ready for the NFL. This was a disservice to KJ, the team as a whole and, most importantly, to the fans.

I like Harris. I posted several times that I hoped we got him. I think he will develope into a quality CB for us. I hope the FO learned its lesson and really is laying what groundwork they can during the lockout to sign Asomugha.
That way we can have a quality product on the field and allow our young players to be coached up and learn from one of the best CBs in the league.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #73
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
This thread kills me.
It does not. You're just saying that because he said she said they made that comparison of the one player to the other player that was really bad, but did one thing sorta good....in a way....with mirrors...

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #74
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
It does not. You're just saying that because he said she said they made that comparison of the one player to the other player that was really bad, but did one thing sorta good....in a way....with mirrors...
Old 05-01-2011   #75
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 7912 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #76
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

I love this pick for the Texans but we still need Veterans at the CB position to come through Free Agency to help this secondary. Quinn isn't the answer at the Safety position either we need to spend big dollars in free agency to fill some serious needs the Texans had a great start in the draft now they have to finish it up strong in free agency.
Old 05-02-2011   #77
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
It's not bad, but we still need a FA vet that's better (at least this year).

Time to put down the crack pipe and step away. Peterson was the best CB in the draft by a wide margin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
I'm liking the pick a lot. This isn't a very strong year for CB. Peterson and Amukamara were far and away #1 and #2. Harris is not going to be better than these 2, but he'll definitely add depth.

I'm wondering if moving Quin to FS is to then allow Jason Allen to step in as the starter until Harris takes over or takes KJ's spot. Either way I think this will be good and we now have a defensive coach who can actually train these guys.

Either way, this was a great pick. We finally have enough talent that we probably won't sign all our draft picks so why not throw away a 5th to move up and get an extra 2nd rounder. I think in the 3rd round we would have ended up having to take another d-lineman had we not made the move. There isn't much left with CB at this point
I've seen people saying Harris was a better prospect than Purple Rain. Prince was over-rated and was severely picked on when they played good receivers. I was not a fan of Prince and was thrilled when we passed him up.
Old 05-02-2011   #78
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 05-02-2011   #79
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19314 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

As some of you know, I put together spreadsheets for the draft each year, so I thought it would be interesting to go back and look at how Harris compares to Kareem Jackson, as far as ratings/rankings. Here's what I have:

SI.com:
Jackson: 49th best player, grade: 2.88
Harris: 34th best player, grade: 2.95

NFL.com:
Jackson: 32nd best player, grade: 8.0
Harris: 30th best player, grade: 7.8

NFLDraftScout.com:
Jackson: 32nd best player
Harris: 35th best player

Scout.com:
Jackson: 49th best player, 5 stars
Harris: 39th best player, 4 stars

Gosselin ranking:
Jackson: 29th best player
Harris: 64th best player

NationalFootballPost
Jackson: 44th best player, grade: 6.6
Harris: 18th best player, grade: 7.0

Basically, it looks to me like Harris is just about at the same level as Jackson was. Only Gosselin (who I do give more weight to, actually) had him as a significantly lower-ranked player.

To get Harris with pick number 60, when almost everyone had him in the top 40 (and even Gosselin had him right near 60), seems like a steal. Not to mention that (as someone posted in another thread) we got a really good value in the trade to move up, based on the draft charts. We got great value, at a position of need.

When you consider that we spent pick number 20 on Kareem Jackson, and pick number 60 on Harris, I think the difference is even more striking, though this says as much about how we reached for Jackson as it does getting value for Harris.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #80
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
As some of you know, I put together spreadsheets for the draft each year, so I thought it would be interesting to go back and look at how Harris compares to Kareem Jackson, as far as ratings/rankings. Here's what I have:

SI.com:
Jackson: 49th best player, grade: 2.88
Harris: 34th best player, grade: 2.95

NFL.com:
Jackson: 32nd best player, grade: 8.0
Harris: 30th best player, grade: 7.8

NFLDraftScout.com:
Jackson: 32nd best player
Harris: 35th best player

Scout.com:
Jackson: 49th best player, 5 stars
Harris: 39th best player, 4 stars

Gosselin ranking:
Jackson: 29th best player
Harris: 64th best player

NationalFootballPost
Jackson: 44th best player, grade: 6.6
Harris: 18th best player, grade: 7.0

Basically, it looks to me like Harris is just about at the same level as Jackson was. Only Gosselin (who I do give more weight to, actually) had him as a significantly lower-ranked player.

To get Harris with pick number 60, when almost everyone had him in the top 40 (and even Gosselin had him right near 60), seems like a steal. Not to mention that (as someone posted in another thread) we got a really good value in the trade to move up, based on the draft charts. We got great value, at a position of need.

When you consider that we spent pick number 20 on Kareem Jackson, and pick number 60 on Harris, I think the difference is even more striking, though this says as much about how we reached for Jackson as it does getting value for Harris.
Good info. I'll probably get torched for this, but I don't think KJ is a bust yet. I'm a believer in the 3 year rule of thumb for grading drafts and draft picks. On that note, I hope Kubes learned a lesson and doesn't throw Harris to the wolves unless he's shown he's ready.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read