PockyAF

Waterboy
WADE PHILLIPS =
HARBINGER_SCHAUB.jpg

BH.png

11141306625260bo.gif

Last edited:
Profootball Weekly info:

As a true freshman in 2008, started 6-of-13 games at left cornerback and posted 30 tackles, three pass breakups and one interception. Also returned 13 kickoffs for 274 yards (21.1-yard average). Started all 13 games in ’09 — nine at LCB, four at nickel — and tied for third nationally in passes defended (17), logging 58-15-2 with six tackles for loss, a sack and three forced fumbles. Added 2-63 (31.5) on kickoff returns. In ’10, posted 44-10-1 with one tackle for loss and one forced fumble in 13 starts. Also ran track for the Hurricanes.

Positives: Well-proportioned build. Football-smart and instinctive — has a feel for the game. Natural bender with quickness and fluid movement skills. Transitions smoothly without wasted movement. Outstanding production on the ball. Aggressive in run support and is a physical, aggressive tackler. Has lined up inside and outside. Mentally tough coach’s son. Well-respected by teammates and coaches. Is passionate about football and works at his craft. Tough, durable and smart.

Negatives: Lacks ideal height and has short arms and small hands. Could stand to improve press strength. Lacks elite top-end speed and recovery burst. Tends to clutch and grab in the slot. Did not consistently lock receivers down. Could stand to hone zone eyes, ball recognition and finishing ability — produced only four interceptions in three years. Struggled to match up with the size of Notre Dame’s Michael Floyd in the Sun Bowl.

Summary: Measured smaller than scouts would like but is a confident, competitive, instinctive, physical corner with a balanced skill set and no glaring weaknesses. Possesses natural cover skills, a balanced skill set and a professional makeup that should enable him to become a solid, dependable starter.

NFL projection: First-round pick.

I don't know that I can listen to 610 and their spinning anymore..........

"We just got 2 picks...........Quinn moves to safety."

We still have no starting CB that we can reasonably to step in. He's not a starter.....at best a nickel...............and we have no 3rd and 5th.

I'm sorry, I have a great deal of trouble getting excited.

We still have no starting CB that we can reasonably to step in. He's not a starter.....at best a nickel...............and we have no 3rd and 5th.

I'm with ya on this one. We need to pick up a veteran or two to add to the secondary, IMO.

I think its value.

If Glover is the answer at safety and this enables it I am ok with it.

If Glover is not, our CBs are still going to look AWFUL with bad safety play, no matter who the corner is, even a big name FA.

ESPN Insider's scouting report...

Production

2 2008: (13/6) 30 total tackles, 2 TFL, 1 sack, 3 PBU, 1 INT. 2009: (13/13) 52 total tackles, 6 TFL, 1 sack, 15 PBU, 2 INT.2010: (13/13) 44 total tackles, 1 TFL, 10 PBU, INT.

Height-Weight-Speed

3 A bit on the short side but has prototypical bulk and possesses excellent top-end speed.

Durability

1 Played in all 39 games during his three seasons at Miami.

Intangibles

1 All-ACC Academic Team in 2008. Hard worker. Passionate about the game. Coaches' son (father, Tim Harris, was named USA Today National High School Coach of the Year in 2007).

1 = Exceptional2 = Above average3 = Average4 = Below average5 = Marginal

Cornerback Specific Traits

Instincts/Recognition

3 Does not get caught peeking in the backfield. Shows good natural instincts in man-to-man coverage. Showed improvement during junior season with recognition/reaction in zone coverage. Is confident in his ability, will not back down versus top competition and has proven capable of immediately bouncing back from mistakes. Also not afraid to mix it up.

Cover Skills

2 A very good natural athlete with quick feet, great balance and fluid hips. Could be more compact in his pedal but shows good burst out of it and excellent closing speed when the ball is in the air. Does a nice job of wrapping up and limiting yards after catch. Is physical enough to hold up in bump-and-run coverage in the NFL, but needs work on technique and get more game reps.

Ball Skills

3 Knows when to attack the ball and when to attack the body. Does not have great INT production and lacks elite playmaking ability. Can have trouble turning and locating the ball in a timely manner on occasion. However, he flashes solid hands. Can pluck away from his frame and over his head.

Run Support

2 Has adequate size, strength and enough willingness to become an effective run support cornerback in the NFL. Takes solid angles when pursuing from the backside. Can do a better job of finishing in space. Shows adequate power for the position but leads with his shoulder too frequently and needs to learn when to break down and wrap up.

1 = Exceptional2 = Above average3 = Average4 = Below average5 = Marginal

His Scout's Inc's grade was an 85

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Hopefully the Texans, with an actual competent DC, will learn that starting a rookie CB along with a 2nd young CB is a horrid decisions.

Lance Z wrote a while back that we're going to show a huge amount of interests in Ike Taylor, which would be a tremendous addition to our young secondary if we manage to get him. Hopefully that's not just smoke and there's a bonfire, being fueled by a propane tank, to it.

Plus, LZ been advocating Quin manning one of the safeties spot since the day we draft him, so I'm excited to see Wade put that idea in play.

I'll be very comfortable with this line up in our backfield:

LCB - Ike Taylor
SS - TBD
FS - Glover Quin
RCB - KJack

Nickle - Jason Allen
Dime - Brandon Harris (bring him up properly)

He's a more physical Brice McCain...

But he's a better corner than Brice McCain.

McMannis, Molden, McCain....I'd like to see us pick up a good vet (Ike Taylor, Nmamdi) and cut one of the aforementioned...

He is a starter over KJ and if no vet CB he can be the #1 corner. He's better than any CB even Peterson in this draft as he watches the WR rather than looking back at QB. With Quin over the top and our linebackers getting to QB, we will be much better. He doesn't get many INTs but does knock down more passes. Unlike Pbuck that he has been compared to, Harris will tackle. He does not look pretty doing it but almost never misses bringing the WR to the ground. I only wished he was the 5'11" he was listed at prior to combine rather than 5'91/2". If beat, he has make up speed.

Outside of Peterson there was no starting CB in this years draft for us. We still need that veteran. But that doesn`t mean, that we can`t use Harris. Pair up the veteran and KJax on the outside, get Quinn to safety and Harris at nickel. Let him fight with KJax for a starting job - great depth, great competition and insurance at our absolute worst position. A first round talent for a 3d and a 5th. I don`t know how that is a bad pick.

Good aggressive move that many in here complain that we don't do enough of. In addition to this, the kid has the potential to be a great number 2 if he develops and he could also contribute in special teams. I can't see how people don't like this pick. Our draft so far is shaping up to be really good so far I mean we basically parlayed our 3rd rounder for a guy that was thought to have 1st round talent. How can you be mad at that?

Outside of Peterson there was no starting CB in this years draft for us. We still need that veteran. But that doesn`t mean, that we can`t use Harris. Pair up the veteran and KJax on the outside, get Quinn to safety and Harris at nickel. Let him fight with KJax for a starting job - great depth, great competition and insurance at our absolute worst position. A first round talent for a 3d and a 5th. I don`t know how that is a bad pick.

Well said, This secondary needs reinforcements from the draft and free agency and drafting Harris in no way limits our options in FA.

I love this pick & as long it's Wade's guy, then I can't complain! If this guy was 5'11or taller- he would be a mid to late 1st rd pick!:) I think we could still get a quality guy in the 4th as long as it's pick by Wade!

Good aggressive move that many in here complain that we don't do enough of. In addition to this, the kid has the potential to be a great number 2 if he develops and he could also contribute in special teams. I can't see how people don't like this pick. Our draft so far is shaping up to be really good so far I mean we basically parlayed our 3rd rounder for a guy that was thought to have 1st round talent. How can you be mad at that?

:bravo: I love that our 3 draft picks are graded 1st rd talent by alot of evaluator & mock drafts!

Highlights.

We just got a guy projected to be late 1st or early 2nd. Why is that a bad thing?
It's not bad, but we still need a FA vet that's better (at least this year).

He is a starter over KJ and if no vet CB he can be the #1 corner. He's better than any CB even Peterson in this draft as he watches the WR rather than looking back at QB. With Quin over the top and our linebackers getting to QB, we will be much better. He doesn't get many INTs but does knock down more passes. Unlike Pbuck that he has been compared to, Harris will tackle. He does not look pretty doing it but almost never misses bringing the WR to the ground. I only wished he was the 5'11" he was listed at prior to combine rather than 5'91/2". If beat, he has make up speed.
Time to put down the crack pipe and step away. Peterson was the best CB in the draft by a wide margin.

You're beginning to scare me.:eek:

But...

It's the best read & react I've seen from the Texans in a year -- on or off the field.

"Big dropoff" at CB after Harris ... so they had to make a move, and actually did. Bravo!

I'm liking the pick a lot. This isn't a very strong year for CB. Peterson and Amukamara were far and away #1 and #2. Harris is not going to be better than these 2, but he'll definitely add depth.

I'm wondering if moving Quin to FS is to then allow Jason Allen to step in as the starter until Harris takes over or takes KJ's spot. Either way I think this will be good and we now have a defensive coach who can actually train these guys.

Either way, this was a great pick. We finally have enough talent that we probably won't sign all our draft picks so why not throw away a 5th to move up and get an extra 2nd rounder. I think in the 3rd round we would have ended up having to take another d-lineman had we not made the move. There isn't much left with CB at this point

Nevermind we basically just lost a 5th 2 move up

Anyway looks like there going all d in the draft there going hardcore

I'm liking the pick a lot. This isn't a very strong year for CB. Peterson and Amukamara were far and away #1 and #2. Harris is not going to be better than these 2, but he'll definitely add depth.

I'm wondering if moving Quin to FS is to then allow Jason Allen to step in as the starter until Harris takes over or takes KJ's spot. Either way I think this will be good and we now have a defensive coach who can actually train these guys.

Either way, this was a great pick. We finally have enough talent that we probably won't sign all our draft picks so why not throw away a 5th to move up and get an extra 2nd rounder. I think in the 3rd round we would have ended up having to take another d-lineman had we not made the move. There isn't much left with CB at this point

Lets hope we go after Nnamdi or Taylor in free agency. Don't like the thought of Allen as our #1.

First off I read on walterfootball.com that Charley Casserly isn't impressed with Harris, so I know think this was the steal of the draft. He was rated in some scouting reports as a first rounder. I'm OK with but we'll see.

Also I see a lot of people line ups, and very few people are listing Jason Allen. Did I miss something did we cut him or something. He's currently the best CB on the team until we can hopefully sign Taylor or God willing Aso. If we sign a true #1 CB in FA, Allen should be our second with KJ and Harris competing for Nickel should GQ move to FS.

P.S. I see our current #1 CB situation like this Allen 1A, and GQ 1B.....

Talk all you want about Harris, but I think the team is planning on signing a their #1 CB in free agency. No way are we starting KJ and Harris at CB. Unless Wade really really wants Kubiaks job...

I can understaznd your reservations - But we got our #3 in the late second round at the expense of .... picking another TE. Harris was thought by many to be a late first rounder. I think its excellent value .....

I agree that Harris is likely the 3rd corner. BUT if KJ doesnt get it together , he may be the #2. We still have FA to go thru .... whenever they decide to quit arguin about who gets what part of the $9billion.

I expect they go after at least one of the top two CB's - From what I hear , Namdi is a real possibility. (Dont ask for a source .... cause I wont give one.)
If they cant land one of Taylor or Asomugha they still have lots of options to fix the back end .... leaving Quin at CB and looking elsewhere (FA) to fix the FS spot as well as adding an SS.

I also expect they draft at least one SS/FS on the final day of the draft.

First off I read on walterfootball.com that Charley Casserly isn't impressed with Harris, so I know think this was the steal of the draft. He was rated in some scouting reports as a first rounder. I'm OK with but we'll see.

Also I see a lot of people line ups, and very few people are listing Jason Allen. Did I miss something did we cut him or something. He's currently the best CB on the team until we can hopefully sign Taylor or God willing Aso. If we sign a true #1 CB in FA, Allen should be our second with KJ and Harris competing for Nickel should GQ move to FS.

I think K-Jax is better than Allen. JMO.

But really I think that drafting Harris really doesn't say a lot about the rotation there...I think it really says that McMannis, Molden or McCain (or some combination) won't make the team...

I think if we get a starting corner in FA, Harris will compete with Allen for the nickle spot. I don't see either of those two being better than Kareem this next season...

Really people?

Last "U" draft picks that work include: R. Butler, E. Winston, A. Johnson, D. Sharpton...etc....

I'm ok w/it...ain't no Phillip Buchanan!

Harris and Kareem Jackson could mesh well. Both have a nose for the ball, both have natural coverage skills. Neither will wind up with a large number of picks, and I have concerns both will have trouble against the bigger WRs. I wonder aloud if Harris MIGHT be able to adjust to this though, working with Andre Johnson in practice (having to cover him) might help him in that regard.

Now that Jackson won't have to be all over the field to defend blown coverages by his teammates in the secondary, he can focus more on his man-to-man and zone coverage. I feel confident there. I also feel confident Harris can man the other side of the field and has more recovery time and isn't one who's going to give up many big plays.

I still think the Texans need another cover corner.. Or FS/SS who's a hawk against the bigger WR. I think with the three CB they have now, they can mix and match with the two starting and nickel role.

Harris and Kareem Jackson could mesh well. Both have a nose for the ball, both have natural coverage skills. Neither will wind up with a large number of picks, and I have concerns both will have trouble against the bigger WRs. I wonder aloud if Harris MIGHT be able to adjust to this though, working with Andre Johnson in practice (having to cover him) might help him in that regard.

Now that Jackson won't have to be all over the field to defend blown coverages by his teammates in the secondary, he can focus more on his man-to-man and zone coverage. I feel confident there. I also feel confident Harris can man the other side of the field and has more recovery time and isn't one who's going to give up many big plays.

I still think the Texans need another cover corner.. Or FS/SS who's a hawk against the bigger WR. I think with the three CB they have now, they can mix and match with the two starting and nickel role.
Huh? KJ needs to learn how to not fall down.

I agree! CC fairly sucked at drafting/reaches, along with his goofy/desperate deals. ie- J. Babin, Pburnt, & Hollings (RB), etc....! The list goes on!

Watching that reminds me of Jacques Reeves.

I was a Reeves fan so it's not a bad think for me. Just wondering why you would cut a guy and then draft a "like guy" a year later.

I was reminded of Jacques Reeves except in a good way. My impression was could stay tight like Reeves but had the ball awareness to turn and make plays which would be a huge upgrade. Being so tight keeps QB's from throwing and even if they do leaves you in a position to stick a hand in the mix and jack things up. Can't do that from three yards away. And I thought it was a mistake to get rid of Reeves anyway.

LOl at the fact that Jaque Reeves actually had fans around here. The guy was terrible. If that is still the standard that people are okay with around here for DB's than it's no wonder Rick Smith and Kubiak fail to address the secondary every year in free agency.

Absolutely worst case scenario right now.
Jason Allen & Kareem Jackson are given the starting spot. Brandon Harris is given the nickel.

I have never doubted that we will do something in FA to bring a starting corner back to Houston. I also think we'll see a starting safety as well.

So I think we'll end up with:
A corner back no one is thinking of. Not necessarily a FA most likely a trade. Try to think about a team that could use Antonio Smith, Steve Slaton, & Antwan Molden.

Kareem Jackson, Jason Allen, Brandon Harris, Sherrick McManis, and Brice McCain will compete for the second starting spot, the nickel, & two back-up spots. Brandon Harris & Sherrick McManis can play special teams as returners.

LOl at the fact that Jaque Reeves actually had fans around here. The guy was terrible. If that is still the standard that people are okay with around here for DB's than it's no wonder Rick Smith and Kubiak fail to address the secondary every year in free agency.

Funny thing, I think.

Reeves was a better football player before he came here. Someone in our organization ruined a bad football player.

It's not bad, but we still need a FA vet that's better (at least this year).

Time to put down the crack pipe and step away. Peterson was the best CB in the draft by a wide margin.
Not what I said 3; perhaps you need to put down the crack pipe, take a nap, eat a good meal and read the post again. I said Harris was better at watching the receiver rather than the QB. This allows him to time his move on the ball.

You're beginning to scare me.:eek:

Why? We know how KJ did as a bump & run CB. Harris is a cover type that will run with the WR not try to bump the receiver off his route, miss or get manhandled out of the play then have to scramble to make up. There is a solid chance that we will not get a vet FA that can eliminate our concern @ the #1 slot. Glover Quin was the best CB last season not KJ. Quin is the new FS. I want a good vet CB but wanting something does not equal Texans getting it.

Why? We know how KJ did as a bump & run CB. Harris is a cover type that will run with the WR not try to bump the receiver off his route, miss or get manhandled out of the play then have to scramble to make up. There is a solid chance that we will not get a vet FA that can eliminate our concern @ the #1 slot. Glover Quin was the best CB last season not KJ. Quin is the new FS. I want a good vet CB but wanting something does not equal Texans getting it.

Why are you guys so certain that Quinn will be able to just move to safety and he's going to be some easy fix there? Sure it's possible, but I don't understand this sentiment like it's just some easy move that will work out with no problems. It seems like any time we draft a CB or get a stop gap type of guy in free agency people in here think our problems are automatically solved before the guy ever plays a down. I'd think that people would remember how many failed projects we've had in our secondary over the years and wouldn't be so quick to think that every new player here is going to be the answer. I think Quinn might make a nice safety and all. He certainly can hit, but I won't assume that it's just some transition that will work just because.

I hate when people can't see the narrow point of a comparison. Reeves was excellent with being on the hip of his WR. That was the comparison. The contrast was Reeves was horrible on ball awareness so despite how close he was would not make the play on the ball. Harris has very good ball awareness. He goes more for PD's than INT's but either way the pass isn't complete. He is also much better at run/pass recognition.

If you read the coaches quotes, It basically says that quinn will be a starting safety and that their not as high on Troy Nolen.

Back