Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-29-2011   #21
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 3 - 60: Brandon "Blanket" Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
He is a starter over KJ and if no vet CB he can be the #1 corner. He's better than any CB even Peterson in this draft as he watches the WR rather than looking back at QB. With Quin over the top and our linebackers getting to QB, we will be much better. He doesn't get many INTs but does knock down more passes. Unlike Pbuck that he has been compared to, Harris will tackle. He does not look pretty doing it but almost never misses bringing the WR to the ground. I only wished he was the 5'11" he was listed at prior to combine rather than 5'91/2". If beat, he has make up speed.
You're beginning to scare me.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #22
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
You are right that we have no 5th. But we turned our 3rd into a 2nd.
Exactly. Giving up a 5th to move up into the late 2nd seems to be extremely good value
Old 04-29-2011   #23
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
...We just got a guy projected to be late 1st or early 2nd. Why is that a bad thing?
In a normal year, a 3rd round grade -- Mayock
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #24
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

But...

It's the best read & react I've seen from the Texans in a year -- on or off the field.

"Big dropoff" at CB after Harris ... so they had to make a move, and actually did. Bravo!
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #25
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm liking the pick a lot. This isn't a very strong year for CB. Peterson and Amukamara were far and away #1 and #2. Harris is not going to be better than these 2, but he'll definitely add depth.

I'm wondering if moving Quin to FS is to then allow Jason Allen to step in as the starter until Harris takes over or takes KJ's spot. Either way I think this will be good and we now have a defensive coach who can actually train these guys.

Either way, this was a great pick. We finally have enough talent that we probably won't sign all our draft picks so why not throw away a 5th to move up and get an extra 2nd rounder. I think in the 3rd round we would have ended up having to take another d-lineman had we not made the move. There isn't much left with CB at this point
hradhak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #26
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

So we gave a 3rd and 5th to move up ?????
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #27
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Nevermind we basically just lost a 5th 2 move up

Anyway looks like there going all d in the draft there going hardcore
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2011   #28
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
I'm liking the pick a lot. This isn't a very strong year for CB. Peterson and Amukamara were far and away #1 and #2. Harris is not going to be better than these 2, but he'll definitely add depth.

I'm wondering if moving Quin to FS is to then allow Jason Allen to step in as the starter until Harris takes over or takes KJ's spot. Either way I think this will be good and we now have a defensive coach who can actually train these guys.

Either way, this was a great pick. We finally have enough talent that we probably won't sign all our draft picks so why not throw away a 5th to move up and get an extra 2nd rounder. I think in the 3rd round we would have ended up having to take another d-lineman had we not made the move. There isn't much left with CB at this point
Lets hope we go after Nnamdi or Taylor in free agency. Don't like the thought of Allen as our #1.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #29
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21536 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

First off I read on walterfootball.com that Charley Casserly isn't impressed with Harris, so I know think this was the steal of the draft. He was rated in some scouting reports as a first rounder. I'm OK with but we'll see.

Also I see a lot of people line ups, and very few people are listing Jason Allen. Did I miss something did we cut him or something. He's currently the best CB on the team until we can hopefully sign Taylor or God willing Aso. If we sign a true #1 CB in FA, Allen should be our second with KJ and Harris competing for Nickel should GQ move to FS.

P.S. I see our current #1 CB situation like this Allen 1A, and GQ 1B.....
Old 04-29-2011   #30
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Talk all you want about Harris, but I think the team is planning on signing a their #1 CB in free agency. No way are we starting KJ and Harris at CB. Unless Wade really really wants Kubiaks job...
Old 04-29-2011   #31
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I don't know that I can listen to 610 and their spinning anymore..........

"We just got 2 picks...........Quinn moves to safety."

We still have no starting CB that we can reasonably to step in. He's not a starter.....at best a nickel...............and we have no 3rd and 5th.

I'm sorry, I have a great deal of trouble getting excited.
I can understaznd your reservations - But we got our #3 in the late second round at the expense of .... picking another TE. Harris was thought by many to be a late first rounder. I think its excellent value .....

I agree that Harris is likely the 3rd corner. BUT if KJ doesnt get it together , he may be the #2. We still have FA to go thru .... whenever they decide to quit arguin about who gets what part of the $9billion.

I expect they go after at least one of the top two CB's - From what I hear , Namdi is a real possibility. (Dont ask for a source .... cause I wont give one.)
If they cant land one of Taylor or Asomugha they still have lots of options to fix the back end .... leaving Quin at CB and looking elsewhere (FA) to fix the FS spot as well as adding an SS.

I also expect they draft at least one SS/FS on the final day of the draft.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #32
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
First off I read on walterfootball.com that Charley Casserly isn't impressed with Harris, so I know think this was the steal of the draft. He was rated in some scouting reports as a first rounder. I'm OK with but we'll see.

Also I see a lot of people line ups, and very few people are listing Jason Allen. Did I miss something did we cut him or something. He's currently the best CB on the team until we can hopefully sign Taylor or God willing Aso. If we sign a true #1 CB in FA, Allen should be our second with KJ and Harris competing for Nickel should GQ move to FS.

I think K-Jax is better than Allen. JMO.

But really I think that drafting Harris really doesn't say a lot about the rotation there...I think it really says that McMannis, Molden or McCain (or some combination) won't make the team...

I think if we get a starting corner in FA, Harris will compete with Allen for the nickle spot. I don't see either of those two being better than Kareem this next season...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #33
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Really people?

Last "U" draft picks that work include: R. Butler, E. Winston, A. Johnson, D. Sharpton...etc....

I'm ok w/it...ain't no Phillip Buchanan!
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #34
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Brandon Harris's twitter handle: @HarrisNOFLYZONE

Yes.
Old 04-29-2011   #35
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Brandon Harris's twitter handle: @HarrisNOFLYZONE

Yes.
I like that .....

OMG fix your sig to HHWNBM!

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #36
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
brandon harris's twitter handle: @harrisnoflyzone

yes.
win!
Old 04-30-2011   #37
Tx Longhorn
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Tx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Harris and Kareem Jackson could mesh well. Both have a nose for the ball, both have natural coverage skills. Neither will wind up with a large number of picks, and I have concerns both will have trouble against the bigger WRs. I wonder aloud if Harris MIGHT be able to adjust to this though, working with Andre Johnson in practice (having to cover him) might help him in that regard.

Now that Jackson won't have to be all over the field to defend blown coverages by his teammates in the secondary, he can focus more on his man-to-man and zone coverage. I feel confident there. I also feel confident Harris can man the other side of the field and has more recovery time and isn't one who's going to give up many big plays.

I still think the Texans need another cover corner.. Or FS/SS who's a hawk against the bigger WR. I think with the three CB they have now, they can mix and match with the two starting and nickel role.
Tx Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #38
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 76476 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Longhorn View Post
Harris and Kareem Jackson could mesh well. Both have a nose for the ball, both have natural coverage skills. Neither will wind up with a large number of picks, and I have concerns both will have trouble against the bigger WRs. I wonder aloud if Harris MIGHT be able to adjust to this though, working with Andre Johnson in practice (having to cover him) might help him in that regard.

Now that Jackson won't have to be all over the field to defend blown coverages by his teammates in the secondary, he can focus more on his man-to-man and zone coverage. I feel confident there. I also feel confident Harris can man the other side of the field and has more recovery time and isn't one who's going to give up many big plays.

I still think the Texans need another cover corner.. Or FS/SS who's a hawk against the bigger WR. I think with the three CB they have now, they can mix and match with the two starting and nickel role.
Huh? KJ needs to learn how to not fall down.
DocBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #39
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post

I agree! CC fairly sucked at drafting/reaches, along with his goofy/desperate deals. ie- J. Babin, Pburnt, & Hollings (RB), etc....! The list goes on!
Old 04-30-2011   #40
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Highlights.

We just got a guy projected to be late 1st or early 2nd. Why is that a bad thing?
Watching that reminds me of Jacques Reeves.

I was a Reeves fan so it's not a bad think for me. Just wondering why you would cut a guy and then draft a "like guy" a year later.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read