Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-29-2011   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Dreaming of a Corner

With the draft going so well is it wrong to dream of signing Aso in free agency? There should be some substantial savings under a new CBA on rookies and with savings from guys we let go, maybe just maybe...

Would Wade Phillips make Aso think Texans have a chance at Super bowl with his skills locking down one side?
Old 04-29-2011   #2
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dreaming of a Corner

There's your corner. Brandon Harris after a trade with New England...
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Does having Harris add incentative to Asomougha to come to Houston?
Old 04-29-2011   #4
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know about Harris drawing Aso here....

.....but might do the trick!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I don't know about Harris drawing Aso here....

.....but might do the trick!
No to the money. Aso gave up $17million in Oakland. It will take a team where he believes he has a chance to move deep in playoffs. He knows he can get a long term deal with the bucks from many teams. Adding Harris, Wade Phillips, a high power offense and a good Qb are what Aso is looking for. He does not want to be the only dude on the D. Adding Watt to Mario and a disrupter in Reed and run busters Cushing and RYans will get his attention. Now we need a Nose.
Old 04-29-2011   #6
adboy
Rookie

Rep Power: 17 adboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
No to the money. Aso gave up $17million in Oakland. It will take a team where he believes he has a chance to move deep in playoffs. He knows he can get a long term deal with the bucks from many teams. Adding Harris, Wade Phillips, a high power offense and a good Qb are what Aso is looking for. He does not want to be the only dude on the D. Adding Watt to Mario and a disrupter in Reed and run busters Cushing and RYans will get his attention. Now we need a Nose.
we do have an elite offense and if we have some sort of defense that is even middle of the pack we are in the playoffs
adboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #7
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by adboy View Post
we do have an elite offense and if we have some sort of defense that is even middle of the pack we are in the playoffs
Not so sure about that. A couple of years ago we werent real bad on D but it get us in.

Of course we didnt have the running game we have now either. I just hope Kubiak is smart enough to put it all together.
Old 04-29-2011   #8
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14869 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I thought Aso wanted to stay in Oakland but a contract stipulation released him and now he's just trying out Free Agency to see what happens. Last time I heard an interview from him was that he wouldn't mind resigning with Oakland either (although I doubt that)

NFL is difficult to predict any ways, I hope Wade can convince him that he's the missing piece to put this team over the top.

But I just hope they sign a Vet CB period. Because we can't throw Harris out there opposite Kareem, that would be such a failure. We need a veteran guy like Ike Taylor....Nnamdi would be a dream come true though....
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #9
adboy
Rookie

Rep Power: 17 adboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Fameradboy is a Hall of Famer

if Aso doesn't come i'll take jonathan joseph
adboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202278 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Not so sure about that. A couple of years ago we werent real bad on D but it get us in.

Of course we didnt have the running game we have now either. I just hope Kubiak is smart enough to put it all together.

I think that the Texans have been too complacent about accepting a label of having an elite O. Standing pat on players and philosophy won't hack it. I believe that until we obtain a legitimate speed #2 receiver opposite AJ, and Kubiak stops supplying Ambien to the O players either before the 1st or the 2nd half of each game, we will go nowhere to speak of.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202278 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by adboy View Post
if Aso doesn't come i'll take jonathan joseph
If Aso doesn't come, you VILL be happy with anyone we choose..........DO YOU UNDERSTAND? VELL DO YOU?

Signed, Sergeant Schultz
Old 04-29-2011   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I think that the Texans have been too complacent about accepting a label of having an elite O. Standing pat on players and philosophy won't hack it. I believe that until we obtain a legitimate speed #2 receiver opposite AJ, and Kubiak stops supplying Ambien to the O players either before the 1st or the 2nd half of each game, we will go nowhere to speak of.
Doc Jean, sorry my friend, I disagree. Where 'energy' needs to happen is on the defense. We can live with AJ, Matt, OD, AF, Walter (although we will need an upgrade)!

That side of the ball ("D") was becoming to complacent. They accepted the fact that they were inferior and lived up to the hype, errrrr lived down to their "lack of hype". I'm digging this draft in the sense that they are drafting (and I hate this cliche) "high motor guys".. That said, maybe from 'Meco, to Cushing, JJ Watt, and other new, young bloods that there will be an infusion of "energy"!
Old 04-29-2011   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Doc Jean, sorry my friend, I disagree. Where 'energy' needs to happen is on the defense. We can live with AJ, Matt, OD, AF, Walter (although we will need an upgrade)!

That side of the ball ("D") was becoming to complacent. They accepted the fact that they were inferior and lived up to the hype, errrrr lived down to their "lack of hype". I'm digging this draft in the sense that they are drafting (and I hate this cliche) "high motor guys".. That said, maybe from 'Meco, to Cushing, JJ Watt, and other new, young bloods that there will be an infusion of "energy"!
I'm in no way implying that we don't need to max out the draft with attention to D. But, improving our D to even above average does not assure us that we will luck out and pull games out of our rear as we were doing last year. Even if our D doesn't put us in a deep hole, we still need O consistency to become a "winner." And the points I mentioned need to be addressed for that to happen.

As far as the D last year, they weren't complacent...............they were clueless.
Old 04-29-2011   #14
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm in no way implying that we don't need to max out the draft with attention to D. But, improving our D to even above average does not assure us that we will luck out and pull games out of our rear as we were doing last year. Even if our D doesn't put us in a deep hole, we still need O consistency to become a "winner." And the points I mentioned need to be addressed for that to happen.

As far as the D last year, they weren't complacent...............they were clueless.
We do need to continue to bring in guys for offense. We are losing a key component in our running game with Vonta (assuming he doesn't resign). Even good teams will find ways to upgrade their talent. Walter could definitely be replaced. I'm still unsure about the TE position (oh god, here comes 3 TE drafts picks in the 4,5, and 6th).

Not to mention that injuries happen all the time. If we aren't going to add to the offense through the draft, I hope that we at least sign some people through free agency (whenever that happens)
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
I thought Aso wanted to stay in Oakland but a contract stipulation released him and now he's just trying out Free Agency to see what happens. Last time I heard an interview from him was that he wouldn't mind resigning with Oakland either (although I doubt that)

NFL is difficult to predict any ways, I hope Wade can convince him that he's the missing piece to put this team over the top.

But I just hope they sign a Vet CB period. Because we can't throw Harris out there opposite Kareem, that would be such a failure. We need a veteran guy like Ike Taylor....Nnamdi would be a dream come true though....
My info says he wanted out of Oakland as Davis did not do enough to get to S.B. The stipulation was put in by his agent & when he chose to get out the Raiders managment acted as if they were completely unaware. I still don't know how they convinced Seymour to remain. Aso has one last contract to get a ride. He would be silly to go Raiders again. Oakland knows it and can not franchize him. Wade should have him on a plane ASAP and have McNair invite him home to wine and dine him as the missing piece to the puzzle. We will have the money. Do we have the team? We offer a top 10 QB if not higher, #1 RB, # 1 WR, a head coach that players like and Defensive C. that knows how to use Aso.
Old 04-29-2011   #16
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

The fact is we don't know what the Texans will get in Free Agency. They must work to cover as many holes as possible in the draft because the might end up with a net loss once Free Agency starts. Aso would be incredible to have, but unlikely.
Old 04-29-2011   #17
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Sure we have the money - but are we willing to use that money to sign Aso? Im not sure if the FO thinks so. You have to throw a buttload of money his way, and still be lucky that he chooses you. Of course, we think Aso is well worth it and might turn this team to a serious contender... but history shows, that the Texans wants to build through the draft and not be major FA players...
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #18
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Doc, as usual you were spot on!! Again, forgive my lack of intelligence and/or common sense!
Old 04-29-2011   #19
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182216 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
The fact is we don't know what the Texans will get in Free Agency. They must work to cover as many holes as possible in the draft because the might end up with a net loss once Free Agency starts. Aso would be incredible to have, but unlikely.
No free agency may have been the best thing for the Texans . Why ... cause we usually pick up a retread in a need position just in case and then draft a TE .
Old 04-29-2011   #20
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
No free agency may have been the best thing for the Texans . Why ... cause we usually pick up a retread in a need position just in case and then draft a TE .
Not only do we pick a retread, we pay him a lot of money too. We have a bad habit of picking medicore guys in FA and paying them elite money.
If we can get Aso, our defense would instantly become top 5. That said, he's going to be tough to get and although we may have some space with a new CBA a lot of teams with better playoff histories and similar money to spend will probably lure him away.

We still need to sign Vonta and shore up WR. We have a solid #1 and a #3 but no #2 wide out.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read