Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-29-2011   #1
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Comparisons

Brooks Reed
6'2'' 260
4.65 40
2.63 20
1.54 10
30 bench 225
30'' vertical
9'5'' broad
4.28 shuttle
7.11 3-cone

Connor Barwin
6'3'' 256
4.59 40
2.68 20
1.53 10
21 bench 225
40 vertical
10'8'' broad
4.18 shuttle
6.87 3-cone

Clay Matthews
6'3'' 240
4.62 40
2.68 20
1.49 10
23 bench 225
35 vertical
10'1'' broad
4.18 shuttle
6.9 3-cone

Brian Cushing
6'2'' 245
4.64 40
2.62 20
1.53 10
30 bench 225
35 vertical
10' broad
4.22 shuttle
6.84 3-cone

Demarcus Ware
6'4'' 250
4.56 40
2.71 20
1.62 10
27 bench 225
38 vertical
10'2'' broad
4.07 shuttle
6.85 3-cone

Using nfldraftscout.com's info. I'd say there are more than a few favorable numbers here...

Thoughts?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #2
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Comparisons

The biggest "weakness" I keep seeing on the scouts list is that he is too small and underpowered. I think that is true if he were a 4-3 DE. In a 3-4 he compares favorably to Demarcus Ware and Clay Matthews. I think this guy is gonna make our front 7 scary. I'm not sure how Barwin will be after the injury, but just imagine JJ Watt on one side, Mario on the other and Brooks Reed coming off the end. It's going to be very hard to double team anyone with 3 threats coming at the QB
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #3
TimeKiller

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Physically, this guy is what we needed. Physically we have guys who draw good comparisons to big time players. Production is another story but it certainly doesn't hurt to see and hear that the Patriots coveted him all over the place. Great piece for the movement to 3/4
Old 04-29-2011   #4
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Physically, this guy is what we needed. Physically we have guys who draw good comparisons to big time players. Production is another story but it certainly doesn't hurt to see and hear that the Patriots coveted him all over the place. Great piece for the movement to 3/4
Totally agree. If we didn't have the new regime, this pick wouldn't make a lot of sense. He'd be fighting for playing time against Cushing and / or Barwin. In a 3-4 he's a perfect fit.

Saturday nights Gabbert and Locker are going to be having nightmares about 3rd and long. Watt will probably move inside, MW and Barwin on the ends and Reed coming off the end. That will be a sick pass rush.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Watt, Smith, Mario at DE
Cushing, Barwin, Demeco, Reed at LB

Now all we need is a DT
Old 04-29-2011   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Now all we need is a DT
I think it is funny how everybody just about is applauding Wade on this draft but won't trust his judgment on Mitchell. Their next pick may be a DT but not sure what chance he'll have of starting soon.
Old 04-29-2011   #7
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 9715 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm keeping my fingers crossed "30 bench 225" isn't code for "over training".
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2011   #8
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I think it is funny how everybody just about is applauding Wade on this draft but won't trust his judgment on Mitchell. Their next pick may be a DT but not sure what chance he'll have of starting soon.
Not only Mitchell but Cody ..... who for what its worth was the teams most consistant DL last season. He made plays all over the field.

A lot remains to be seen whether either or both of those guy's can lock that position down .... but Im willing to give them every opportunity.

My biggest concern is the back end of what was a historically piss poor defense. They have added a CB but there is still a gapping hole where Pollard and Wilson once .... took bad angles.

Still a few more picks to go as well as FA .... but they have to address the secondary. I wonder if the choice of Brandon Harris tells us anything about their plans in FA .... will they pick up a vet CB or do they think Harris is up to the challenge? (Ugh , get me a Vet!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
I'm keeping my fingers crossed "30 bench 225" isn't code for "over training".

Im on the wrong side of 40 , smoke like a train and drink enough whiskey to float a battleship around and can bench 225 ~15+. I wonder how these young bucks cant do considerably more.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #9
TimeKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
Totally agree. If we didn't have the new regime, this pick wouldn't make a lot of sense. He'd be fighting for playing time against Cushing and / or Barwin. In a 3-4 he's a perfect fit.

Saturday nights Gabbert and Locker are going to be having nightmares about 3rd and long. Watt will probably move inside, MW and Barwin on the ends and Reed coming off the end. That will be a sick pass rush.
Reed is what, 4th or 5th rush option? I read a lot that he might not be "the guy" but he's good enough to support "the guy". Mario is still going to be counted on for double digits. Barwin is the edge rush option. Watt is going to be counted on for rookie production as a 1st. Cushing is going to be counted on to bring the production back...and now Reed too. That's a solid 5 guys to count as a pass rush I think and Reed has an excellent opportunity to benefit from AND support the guys around him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Nice. I could find all the lists on similar DTs up next to Mitchell. Jay Ratliff is probably the first one everyone wants to read right? Who else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Not only Mitchell but Cody ..... who for what its worth was the teams most consistant DL last season. He made plays all over the field.
......c'mon man. Cody isn't a serious option, he's a stopgap player.

Quote:
Im on the wrong side of 40 , smoke like a train and drink enough whiskey to float a battleship around and can bench 225 ~15+. I wonder how these young bucks cant do considerably more.
dang you must be a big dude...I'm in pretty decent shape and I don't know if I could do it once...The most I can bench (well, the most weight I have) is 165!!
Old 04-30-2011   #10
TimeKiller

Earl Mitchell
6'1'' 295
4.75 40
2.69 20
1.56 10
25 bench 225
28 vertical
8'11'' broad
4.55 shuttle
7.68 3-cone

Jay Ratliff
6'3'' 292
4.85 40
26 bench 225
33 vertical
9'9'' broad
4.23 shuttle
7.35 3-cone
Old 04-30-2011   #11
IBleedTexans
Superbowl Bound

Rep Power: 3223 IBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=.

dang you must be a big dude...I'm in pretty decent shape and I don't know if I could do it once...The most I can bench (well, the most weight I have) is 165!![/QUOTE]

That's not a whole lot of weight I'm 160 5'5 and can lift 245 10 times, but for his age that's pretty impressive
IBleedTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #12
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
......c'mon man. Cody isn't a serious option, he's a stopgap player.

I think you are wrong about him. He was the teams best DT last season. You might want to go back and watch some film. He made plays all over the field , from sideline to sideline.

Quote:
dang you must be a big dude...I'm in pretty decent shape and I don't know if I could do it once...The most I can bench (well, the most weight I have) is 165!!
6'3" 235 or so. Was a bit heavier but have lost a bit since I found out my cholesterol was high , had to change my diet and take meds. Would like to drop another 10lbs or so.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #13
TimeKiller

Quote:

I think you are wrong about him. He was the teams best DT last season. You might want to go back and watch some film. He made plays all over the field , from sideline to sideline.

6'3" 235 or so. Was a bit heavier but have lost a bit since I found out my cholesterol was high , had to change my diet and take meds. Would like to drop another 10lbs or so.

That says very, very little of him. If he's making plays, there are about 10 other guys NOT making plays.

Yeah, you're about as big as my friend, idk if you work out a lot but he sure does, my goodness he's starting to look like an animal. Says he plans to be about 260 by the end of the year and then he's going to try to be a for real bodybuilder.

One thing I always found funny about the press is whether you're 6'5'' 290 DL or 5'11'' 190 CB you have to press the same amount: 225 lbs. I mean 225 pounds is 77% of the big man's body weight. For the CB it's 118% of his body weight. 77% of the CB's body weight is 145 lbs. Quite a bit different.

Like Stephen Paea, 49 reps of 225, impressive yes. But that's a 305 pound man. If he were to take on the challenge of the CB, pressing 118% of his body weight, he needs to press 360 lbs.

....Anyway.....
Old 04-30-2011   #14
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 94459 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

A lot remains to be seen whether either or both of those guy's can lock that position down .... but Im willing to give them every opportunity.

My biggest concern is the back end of what was a historically piss poor defense. They have added a CB but there is still a gapping hole where Pollard and Wilson once .... took bad angles.

Still a few more picks to go as well as FA .... but they have to address the secondary. I wonder if the choice of Brandon Harris tells us anything about their plans in FA .... will they pick up a vet CB or do they think Harris is up to the challenge? (Ugh , get me a Vet!)

Those guys are smoking the wrong stuff and too big a sissy to handle whisky. I can do 25 pushups and I weigh 225. Does that count?

I reallyreallyreally hope they do everything humanly possible to sign Asomugha.
Mitchell and Cody deserve the benefit of the doubt, but I wouldn't mind drafting a big, fat guy for insurance.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
One thing I always found funny about the press is whether you're 6'5'' 290 DL or 5'11'' 190 CB you have to press the same amount: 225 lbs. I mean 225 pounds is 77% of the big man's body weight. For the CB it's 118% of his body weight. 77% of the CB's body weight is 145 lbs. Quite a bit different.
True but there is one counter balance which is the big dude has to push the bar significantly farther to complete each rep.
Old 04-30-2011   #16
TimeKiller

I see what you're saying but that doesn't seem like that much of a balance really. Especially considering the differential in weight, that's a miniscule consideration.

Plus, Stephen Paea is only 6'1'' and there are plenty of CBs that tall in this draft.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read