Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Do you like the pick?
I like the pick 99 67.81%
I dislike the pick 7 4.79%
Meh, I am neutral. 40 27.40%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2011   #81
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: JJ Watt- Do you like the pick, or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
This is exactly what I noticed about him when watching him on film. Granted I didn't really watch him in college though. But on film this guy just looks like an average player to me with a high motor. I didn't see the explosiveness off the line that I like to see out of an NFL DE. That worries me.
That's a problem unless you actually watched him play, least a small sample size of actual live games. He has exceptional awareness of snap count, his assignment & how to work through double teams with a non-stop motor. He doesn't wow you as a physical specimen like Mario Williams but he will open holes for him to excel. When O Linemen disengages Watt to pick-up Mario, JJ will shed off & straight to the QB which creates a pick & roll so to speak making Texan sack numbers spike upwards.

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 07-14-2011 at 12:03 PM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011   #82
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91991 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
That's a problem unless you actually watched him play, least a small sample size of actual live games. He has exceptional awareness of snap count, his assignment & how to work through double teams with a non-stop motor. He doesn't wow you as a physical specimen like Mario
Williams but he will open holes for him to excel.
I hope you're right. LIke I said I've looked at small samples of him, but he doesn't looks explosive or quick at all to me, and that's one of the biggst key factors for lineman.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #83
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

In today's live presser, JJ said he remembers seeing a lot of negative reaction to the pick & that he's worked hard to prove them wrong.

Am I reading this wrong, because I'm not seeing a lot of negative reaction... a lot of confusion, but not a lot of negative.
Old 01-10-2012   #84
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
JJ Watt's latest tweet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Watt's Twitter
Success is not owned, it's rented and rent is due everyday. #DBWH
Dang, I hope this guy will walk the talk.
Ummm...file that under YES HE WILL!
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #85
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

These old threads are always fun to read. Interesting to have it confirmed why we are not the coaches and GMs. Don't think there ever should have been any question about the Watt pick.
Say Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #86
Jaysol 
3rd String Rook

Rep Power: 409 Jaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
In today's live presser, JJ said he remembers seeing a lot of negative reaction to the pick & that he's worked hard to prove them wrong.

Am I reading this wrong, because I'm not seeing a lot of negative reaction... a lot of confusion, but not a lot of negative.
Just because you don't see negative feedback here, doesn't mean it isn't anywhere else. Quick Google search netted...

NSFW (language) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsOsn3gTrKM

I'm always more of a "lets see how this fully pans out" before I start burning people in effigy. In hind site, I'm sure even the few negative pollsters can admit they were wrong and Watt was an amazing pickup for this team.
Jaysol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #87
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I wanted Von Miller or Peterson.

That said, I am happy with this pick. I was not thrilled about the OLB prospects that were available and since Julio was off the board I thought Watt was a good, solid choice.

Dude is a freak of an athlete and he has a non-stop motor. He has demonstrated excellent work ethic and has not been coddled as a superior athlete all the way to the NFL. He's really earned his way to where he is now.

Also, I like the flexibility it gives us with our personnel. I'm not big on having Mario standing up on a consistent basis, but in certain situations it could be really effective. I like the fact that Watt can play all up and down the d-line.

And those saying that he isn't flashy...Well, he actually is...

Dude is a physical freak. He's a big human being and he can move that frame. He also seems smart and instinctive on the field.
I always like to look back at what I say....I guess I was kinda right...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2012   #88
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

I wasn't a member of Texanstalk way back in April (I'm a cyber "bandwagoner") lol. Anyway I remember being rather neutral initially about the pick, because I knew we wouldn't get Von at the 11 spot, so it was kind of, let's see who we get. I also believed that Phillips would have a hand in the draft, and that was apparent.

As I started looking at Watt highlights, I got more and more excited about the possibility. Although, I can still hear my Cowboy and Titan buddies in my head "7-9, maybe 8-8".

Yeah, they don't say much anymore, they just glare at me when I ask them, "So, who's your team playing this weekend?? Oh, yeah, that's right."

GO TEXANS!
Old 01-10-2012   #89
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I kind of wonder what our team would be like if we had gotten Aldon Smith as our OLB and let Mario play DE instead. I know there were some rumors leading up to the draft that the Texans would take Smith with the 11th pick if he was there, but SF took him a few picks before us. Worked out either way, but it's interesting to consider.
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #90
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Kinda scary looking back if your wrong, in JJ Watt's case it's quite rewarding. Guess that is one facet of the Draft which keeps on giving.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #91
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Paul Kuharsky @espn_afcsouth 20m
Open Details Castonzo not the caliber of J.J. Watt http://es.pn/yfZOmf
Quote:
Houston defensive end J.J. Watt should be on any all rookie team. “(He) is such a good player that if you played him in a 4-3 it would work. He can beat tackles with his speed and guards with his power; that’s a pretty complete player who got stronger as the season went on.”

On my ballot for PFW, I voted for Casey, who was quite good, and Watt, who was excellent . I did not vote for Castonzo. He has a bright future and did some good work. But to give him All Rookie just because he played a lot and was OK in stretches, I think it waters down the honor in the award for people like Watt or Denver linebacker Von Miller.
More here: AFC South Blog
Old 01-10-2012   #92
iLoveTexans
Veteran

Rep Power: 275 iLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought this was going to be a thread about his Pick 6 on saturday... OOPS

Sig courtesy of False Start!
iLoveTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #93
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

"Stylistically"? It was 'ayright'!!!! That said, in the future I hope whenever you get a "pick" in the future, please show a little more flare!!!!!!

Oh!! Wait, what??????

I'm on record for liking the draft choice 'pick', but I'm a bigger fan of the pick six v. the Nati!
Old 01-10-2012   #94
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

OK, I'm ready to vote now.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #95
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

I was at Reliant during the draft party they threw there, the reaction to the pick was not pretty. Channel 13 caught the action and aired it that night on their 10pm news I believe.
Old 01-11-2012   #96
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't think I was too bold when I said that "JJ Watt is like Ivory while Mario is like Ebony" now, was I?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #97
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I didn't think I was too bold when I said that "JJ Watt is like Ivory while Mario is like Ebony" now, was I?
[beating Brakos to it]

Old 01-11-2012   #98
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
[beating Brakos to it]

Haha, you know my reference is more Stevie Wonder - like as in how:

Ebony and Ivory, living together in perfect harmony ...
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #99
Austex
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Austex was voted MVPAustex was voted MVPAustex was voted MVPAustex was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveTexans View Post
I thought this was going to be a thread about his Pick 6 on saturday... OOPS
I thought the same thing, wondered what loon would really ask if we liked a pick 6.
Old 01-11-2012   #100
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

This was my reaction.

Cant believe anyone would not like this guy. He will bat down a ton of passes, never quit on a play, create all kinds problems on 3rd down in the middle. He is a incredible athlete. At 6'5" and 290 lb's he has the second fastest 10 yard split for defensive linemen and that included DE's.

And

This is the best move this franchise has made since drafting Andre Johnson.

I'm not surprised most people here liked the Watt pick. For the most part our members are the most passionate and most knowledgeable football fans around. That's why we are on here day in and day out. Even when I don't agree with a regular here I know I'm debating with real and knowledgeable football fan. Trying to have intelligent football conversation outside of this message board is like discusing physics with beauty pageant contestant.

Unfortunately winning will have a negative effect on his board. The more we win the more this board will be flooded with typical no nothing bandwagon fans who flood the board with crap everyday. It happened on clutch and I can hardly stand to go there anymore.

Wow sorry about that last ranting paragraph. That came out of the blue. Anyway this thread is just proof that the best and smartest texans fans are right here. Enjoy this moment texanstalk brothers and sisters it will never get better here than it is right now!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read