Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Do you like the pick?
I like the pick 99 67.81%
I dislike the pick 7 4.79%
Meh, I am neutral. 40 27.40%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2011   #41
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: JJ Watt- Do you like the pick, or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Stone Cold is a fan.

Per Sean on 1560, we as Texans fans should yell What? Everytime he makes a tackle or gets a sack...

Anouncer: "On the tackle #99 JJ Watt."

Crowd: "What?!?!?"
Old 04-29-2011   #42
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
I meant Mario at the 5 tech, outside shoulder of Tackle, but in a 2pt stance, standing up which basically is an rushing OLB so....

They used this for him, I think in his 12 sack year. They had 3 LBs but the DEs were standing up rushing...
This link shows Phillips might be changing his mind.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3636/player?r=1

This link is what he was saying before they got Watt.
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...texans-defense

Sorry, I don't know how to make "this" an actual link. I'm technology challenged.
Old 04-29-2011   #43
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 62963 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Per Sean on 1560, we as Texans fans should yell What? Everytime he makes a tackle or gets a sack...

The whole skit popped into my head as soon as the pick was announced. I actually said "WHAT?!"

The sumbitch better pan out.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #44
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
This link shows Phillips might be changing his mind.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3636/player?r=1

This link is what he was saying before they got Watt.
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...texans-defense

Sorry, I don't know how to make "this" an actual link. I'm technology challenged.
Just highlight the word and then click on the insert link icon...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #45
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

JJ could make like he is cleaning the ear hole of his helmet after a sack.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #46
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanted Von Miller or Peterson.

That said, I am happy with this pick. I was not thrilled about the OLB prospects that were available and since Julio was off the board I thought Watt was a good, solid choice.

Dude is a freak of an athlete and he has a non-stop motor. He has demonstrated excellent work ethic and has not been coddled as a superior athlete all the way to the NFL. He's really earned his way to where he is now.

Also, I like the flexibility it gives us with our personnel. I'm not big on having Mario standing up on a consistent basis, but in certain situations it could be really effective. I like the fact that Watt can play all up and down the d-line.

And those saying that he isn't flashy...Well, he actually is...

Dude is a physical freak. He's a big human being and he can move that frame. He also seems smart and instinctive on the field.
Old 04-29-2011   #47
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:

The whole skit popped into my head as soon as the pick was announced. I actually said "WHAT?!"

The sumbitch better pan out.

False Start...Is it ok if I use your sig?
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2011   #48
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The sumbitch better pan out. What?!!??
Fixed....... What?!?!
Old 04-29-2011   #49
Rey
Hall of Fame

Watched a couple of clips of him and some things that really stand out:

-Very quick of the ball for a man of his size...Very quick

-Very good change of direction skills. Shows that when he gets by his man he actually has the ability to make the tackle on shiftier opponents.

-Takes Great angles on his pass rush. Shows good ability rushing from the edge and from the interior.

-Excellent use of his hands. Also uses the swim move with good effectiveness. Engages bloskers and gets off of them to make plays extremely well. TE's will not be able to block this guy at all.

-Athletic freak. Relentless. Plays with a ton of passion. Will not be many (if any) people that play harder than he will. Very big, Very strong. He's a leg tackler which is something I love from my D-linemen. Long wing span allows him to make some tackles that other players may not be able to make.

My overview: Dude is going to make an impact from day one. He will be one of the better players on the defense. I am absolutely sure of that. I did not pay much attention to him before the draft, but after studying him more in the past few hours I am extremely, extremely impressed.

The only thing I am concerned about is his transition to the NFL. Really though, I'm not concerned. Just felt like I needed to throw a negative in there somewhere.
Old 04-29-2011   #50
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Watched a couple of clips of him and some things that really stand out:

-Very quick of the ball for a man of his size...Very quick

-Very good change of direction skills. Shows that when he gets by his man he actually has the ability to make the tackle on shiftier opponents.

-Takes Great angles on his pass rush. Shows good ability rushing from the edge and from the interior.

-Excellent use of his hands. Also uses the swim move with good effectiveness. Engages bloskers and gets off of them to make plays extremely well. TE's will not be able to block this guy at all.

-Athletic freak. Relentless. Plays with a ton of passion. Will not be many (if any) people that play harder than he will. Very big, Very strong. He's a leg tackler which is something I love from my D-linemen. Long wing span allows him to make some tackles that other players may not be able to make.

My overview: Dude is going to make an impact from day one. He will be one of the better players on the defense. I am absolutely sure of that. I did not pay much attention to him before the draft, but after studying him more in the past few hours I am extremely, extremely impressed.

The only thing I am concerned about is his transition to the NFL. Really though, I'm not concerned. Just felt like I needed to throw a negative in there somewhere.
Good post - I agree. I'm really really excited. I think this is a great start to our draft. I need to pace myself because I'm starting to think this 2011 draft could end up being our best to-date. I think it will rival that of the 2006 class we hauled in and that's really saying something.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #51
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Good post - I agree. I'm really really excited. I think this is a great start to our draft. I need to pace myself because I'm starting to think this 2011 draft could end up being our best to-date. I think it will rival that of the 2006 class we hauled in and that's really saying something.
Haha, after 1 pick!?

Strange thing is, I agree. This is the best I have felt about a Texans' first rounder since I started following the draft heavily. Add to that the fact that this is shaping up to be a pretty decent class, and I feel good about the future.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #52
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123665 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Agreed after pick one I am way ahead of where I was after KJ. I think Watt will become only stronger in NFL. I was concerned this draft may not offer good picks for Houston but I'm hoping I'm wrong. It will be difficult to focus on only one or two players coming in next season and we still need to add Tate to the mix. Also, having no free agency has worked as I hoped by pushing QB up in first and I think we will see two more QBs go before Texans in second.
Old 04-29-2011   #53
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79098 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

If Fairley or Quinn live up to their man-beast potential, then this may not be the best pick. That wouldn't be JJ's fault, its just that their positions have bigger impact usually.

Take them out of the equation though, and you have a great pick
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #54
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 62963 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
False Start...Is it ok if I use your sig?
Sure.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #55
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Haha, after 1 pick!?

Strange thing is, I agree. This is the best I have felt about a Texans' first rounder since I started following the draft heavily. Add to that the fact that this is shaping up to be a pretty decent class, and I feel good about the future.
I feel even better after hearing this from Wade's presser....

Quote:
Q: Does the selection of Watt change the defensive focus in later rounds?

Phillips: "No. We need to get defensive players. Our coaches that were in the room, we're holding up defense every time we get a chance. When Rick looks back, we're holding up defense. We still need some more defensive players. What's best for the team is what's best for me, I don't mean that. I think it's clear that we need a lot of defense in this draft."
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #56
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Haha, after 1 pick!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Agreed after pick one I am way ahead of where I was after KJ. I think Watt will become only stronger in NFL. I was concerned this draft may not offer good picks for Houston but I'm hoping I'm wrong. It will be difficult to focus on only one or two players coming in next season and we still need to add Tate to the mix. Also, having no free agency has worked as I hoped by pushing QB up in first and I think we will see two more QBs go before Texans in second.
I know I know.... LOL. 1 pick into it and I'm beside myself. I really think Watt could become our best defensive player, better than Mario. But the two of them will be incredible together.

I think we're sitting well only 10 picks in to the 2nd round with a buttload of talent still available. And I think we'll be able to get a solid contributer in the 3rd. 4th on can provide some really good depth across our Defense.

Most of my excitement stems from the confidence I have in Wade Phillips. I think he know's these players, this draft, and how to pick the defense. We havn't had that the last few years. This draft is primarily going to be to address the Defense and with it going to a new scheme, Wade's going to get some players that will contribute.

Much like the '06 draft was after a regime change... I view this is too. Mario, Demeco, Winston, Daniels... new offense new defense. Now its a new defense with a bright mind getting the luxury of taking his guys. Gary, Rick, Wade, Bob all know they're going to address the $h*t out of the D. Then in Free Agency I pray to the high heavens we're able to sign a legit veteran CB and hopefully a SS.

I see a very quick turnaround to this team and we win the division. That's right I said it. No wildcard... we flat out WIN IT. Ok now I'm done with the kool aid and I'm happy to pass it on for yall to drink. It's delicious... I got it from pizza hut. lol
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #57
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 27500 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Ok now I'm done with the kool aid and I'm happy to pass it on for yall to drink. It's delicious... I got it from pizza hut. lol
Did JJ Watt deliver it?
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #58
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just highlight the word and then click on the insert link icon...
Like this? Thanks man.
Old 04-29-2011   #59
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

wow texans fans giving watt a huge thumbs up (from me too btw) judging by the poll...

i thought our pick could only get that type of approval rating if von or PP fell to us
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #60
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 208960 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm very glad we have this guy. I would have rather seen us go with either a SS, CB or OLB with that pick, but I'm happy nonetheless with Watt. They picked the BPA with that either because they wanted him or couldn't trade down for something worthwhile.

Considering our draft history, I'll take him.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read