Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Do you like the pick?
I like the pick 99 67.81%
I dislike the pick 7 4.79%
Meh, I am neutral. 40 27.40%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2011   #21
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: JJ Watt- Do you like the pick, or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
a DE in a 2pt stance so to speak....

Seemed that he did when he said Mario and Barwin will be the OLBs but guess we shall see. I personally think Mario would be an exceptional rushing OLB, but we will have to wait and see...
Not sure I understand your first part. Mario being a DE in a 2 pt stance... I think that's what you got even if you call it an OLB. lol Shoot - move Mario to Nose Tackle for some playes and he's a DE playing Nose. That's just how I feel.

I can't wait for the season to start and I'm really looking forward to watching Wade turn this D around. Much of that having to do with him moving Mario and Watt to different positions and putting them in the best positions to succeed.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #22
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Other than the fact we drafted another tight end, errrrr d-lineman who is a "pasty", "high character" guy.....
YES, I like the pick!
Old 04-29-2011   #23
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Stone Cold is a fan.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #24
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Funny, that is exactly what Phillips said in his presser, so you know something the defensive coordinator doesn't?
Let's not get it twisted, buddy. Mario will definitely see limited snaps at OLB, but our 295 lb 6'7 best DLineman is not going to be starting games standing up. I know Wade sort of worded it awkwardly, but common sense has to kick in at some point, no?

Last edited by Allstar; 04-29-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #25
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Stone Cold is a fan.

What??!??!? You standin' there with your little meely mouth, WHAT???!?!?
Old 04-29-2011   #26
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Im good with the player , question the choice of position .... He is a top tier talent tho.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #27
False Start
On # 69

Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
What??!??!? You standin' there with your little meely mouth, WHAT???!?!?
Watt 3:16 says I just sacked your ass!

Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2011   #28
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Stone Cold is a fan.

Yup... Watt is going to be doing this in the locker room before every game to get PUMPED UP!

Old 04-29-2011   #29
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
considering that their OLB is going to be Mario and Barwin, I am loving the pick

They potentially solved to their OLB problem with this pick.

Mario DeMeco Cushing Barwin

Watt Mitchell/Cody Smith

now they need to address the secondary in the later rounds or FA and this could be a nice start to a very good defense...
Phillips has said several times that Mario will keep his hand on the ground. He also said Mario took a false step every time he was asked to rush from a 2 point stance.
Old 04-29-2011   #30
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know enough about this guy to say whether or not I like this guy. I'll like him if he helps us win. Simple as that.
Old 04-29-2011   #31
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Well played, sir!
Old 04-29-2011   #32
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Just posted this on twitter, giving you full credit, of course!
Old 04-29-2011   #33
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

For now this pick is meh for me. I'll admit that I didn't watch him much in college so I don't want to to be to critical of him at this point. From the footage I saw though, he looked slow to me and lacked a burst from the outside. Might have just been the footage I've seen. He looks like he'll be a good player to me with a high motor which I like, but I don't think he'll ever be a great player and a true difference maker type of DE. Watt would have probably been picked around the 20's range as well, so we got him a little high. Trading down would have been a little better, but trading down isn't always an option for every team so you can't knock every team for not trading down if the option isn't there in the first place. I would have liked a few other guys that were still on the board as well. If our 2nd round picks end up being really good that fill other holes it might not be as bad, but this pick doesn't excite me as of now.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #34
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
it takes a little while to make the poll.
twss!
Old 04-29-2011   #35
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Not sure I understand your first part. Mario being a DE in a 2 pt stance... I think that's what you got even if you call it an OLB. lol Shoot - move Mario to Nose Tackle for some playes and he's a DE playing Nose. That's just how I feel.

I can't wait for the season to start and I'm really looking forward to watching Wade turn this D around. Much of that having to do with him moving Mario and Watt to different positions and putting them in the best positions to succeed.
I meant Mario at the 5 tech, outside shoulder of Tackle, but in a 2pt stance, standing up which basically is an rushing OLB so....

They used this for him, I think in his 12 sack year. They had 3 LBs but the DEs were standing up rushing...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #36
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I meant Mario at the 5 tech, outside shoulder of Tackle, but in a 2pt stance, standing up which basically is an rushing OLB so....

They used this for him, I think in his 12 sack year. They had 3 LBs but the DEs were standing up rushing...
I gotcha. Yea I think from a true x's and o's standpoint there will be many instances where he will be technically an "OLB". But his responsibilities, I don't think he's going to be your typical OLB that most think of when thinking 3-4 OLB. I hope we see another 12 sack year out of him this season!
Old 04-29-2011   #37
False Start
On # 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Just posted this on twitter, giving you full credit, of course!
Garcia! I think I have my sign for the game next year.

Old 04-29-2011   #38
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 147070 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Yup... Watt is going to be doing this in the locker room before every game to get PUMPED UP!

Remember what Charles Hayley used to do to get 'pumped up' before games? It was similar to this but it wasn't beer spraying around. YUCK!!!!
Old 04-29-2011   #39
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9350 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Anybody watch Parcells draft special? They showed glimpses of the board. JJ Watt was at the top of his group. I assume that is was his actual draft board. I sure hope it was.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #40
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
Anybody watch Parcells draft special? They showed glimpses of the board. JJ Watt was at the top of his group. I assume that is was his actual draft board. I sure hope it was.
Didn't he have Brooks Reed as a 3rd or 4th round talent too?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read