Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-08-2014   #281
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64231 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 1.11: JJ Watt DE Wisconson

Goodness. What a pick.
TheMatrix31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #282
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40976 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans should have Wade on the payroll for the rest of his life, just for this pick alone.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #283
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 25372 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
It means Deepi Sidhu has an active imagination. Nothing more. Watch this.

Rick Smith had plans with the Cleveland Browns to exchange picks with the intention of drafting Robert Griffin III. But when Washington selected RG3 after a trade with St.Louis, did they still want to trade with Cleveland for Trent Richardson?

Instead, they stayed patt & drafted Whitney Mercilus.

I mean just because I said it don't make it true. Same with Deepi.
I believe it because back in 2011 there was talk about the Texans wanting Smith, but SF snatched him early. Plus, don't act like there wasn't talk about HOU trading up. There was. People were hollering about V. Miller rumors for weeks before the draft.
Old 01-08-2014   #284
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

don't we have to post links supporting our "opinions" so where is her source?
Old 01-08-2014   #285
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
I believe it because back in 2011 there was talk about the Texans wanting Smith, but SF snatched him early. Plus, don't act like there wasn't talk about HOU trading up. There was. People were hollering about V. Miller rumors for weeks before the draft.
If this story is true. & it is true that we wanted Smith.... we'd have made the trade & took Smith. Her story is that we wanted Peterson, but did not feel Smith was worth the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
don't we have to post links supporting our "opinions" so where is her source?

Exacatlly my point. She didn't even use the "anonymous source" ploy. Just threw it out there.
Old 01-08-2014   #286
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have no idea why the Texans published this stuff nor why people need evidence that this was true. I mean from an objective view point why does it matter if I would not have married my wife if another chick had showed more interest or my best friend would not be my best friend if he did not move to the city I was living. When the choice was available, the Texans made the right choice (and lol at the idea that Rick Smith had nothing to do with good draft picks and everything to do with bad ones).
Old 01-09-2014   #287
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 24103 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNTexansFan View Post
Disgusting
best post ever
Old 01-30-2014   #288
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

From the best...

Quote:
@JJWatt is the BEST Defensive player in the NFL. What I saw today against All Pros and Pro Bowlers was a MAN amongst men!!!! Truth
— DeionSanders (@DeionSanders) January 27, 2014
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #289
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 124668 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
From the best...

DeionSanders (@DeionSanders) January 27, 2014
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #290
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

A man amongst men?
Old 02-08-2014   #291
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Players to lock up long term
Louis Riddick

Quote:
So let's have that conversation. Here's what I assess:

The future. This is about players who have been drafted in 2010 or 2011, as it is this group of players that could be potential 2014 unrestricted free agents (2010 draft) or eligible to have their rookie contracts renegotiated once they complete their third season in the league (2011 draft). These players will typically fall in the 23- to 26-year-old range, are about to hit their peak performance years and thus are the players who are most likely to be approached.

Timing. It's important with these kind of players, as the benefits of approaching them early or locking them up before they enter the final year of their rookie contract can go a long way toward getting the kind of deal that satisfies both management and the player while showing the rest of the team that committed, consistent young players will be "taken care of." Contract negotiations in these early pre-emptive strike situations tend to be less combative; it's not a leverage-intense atmosphere, contrary to what tends to happen when both parties are up against a deadline (like the onset of unrestricted free agency), where contract parameters can get out of whack because of desperation and panic on the part of the member clubs.

Commitment. I've also added comments from a veteran agent who represents players to help assess that side of the equation. Keep in mind that this is just an estimate.
Quote:
J.J. Watt, DT/DE, Houston Texans

There isn't much more to say about what this player has done since coming into the league in 2011 out of Wisconsin other than "wow." You could clearly see how good he was from a makeup standpoint during the pre-draft interview process at the scouting combine in 2011, but what he has been able to do on the field at the NFL level has been amazing. What franchise wouldn't be happy if its first-round DT produced 35.5 sacks, 168 tackles, 25 PBUs/batted balls and seven forced fumbles in his first three seasons? Watt can play anywhere on the line from a zero-nose to a wide-9 technique, can win with quickness or power against the run, can rush with quickness or power against the pass, plays with noticeable excitement and has tremendous toughness and physical/mental stamina. Plus, he is a solid citizen off the field by all accounts. He will be just 25 years old when the 2014 season begins. Watt is a guy who must be taken care of. He is the best thing happening on the Texans and deserves to be shown the money not just for what he has already given the franchise but what he'll give it going forward.

Agent analysis: "$36 million to $38 million guaranteed. A great barometer is the Chris Long deal the Rams did back in April ($36.75M guaranteed, $20M APY). Long has 30 sacks over the last three years; Watt has 35. Watt is 24 years old, Long [is] 28. The question is, was the 20.5-sack year an anomaly which you are willing to pay for, or do you see where he ends up this year and add that to the 5.5 he had as a rookie and say he 'really' averages somewhere north of 10 sacks a year? If they have a new staff and GM, it gets done at the high end as a priority for the fan base and as a promise to the new head coach coming in."
Old 02-08-2014   #292
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I really like Watt but don't see need to offer long deal when we can keep him for much less. We have to be smart on these Foster/Schaub/Cushing type deals.
Old 02-09-2014   #293
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98311 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I really like Watt but don't see need to offer long deal when we can keep him for much less. We have to be smart on these Foster/Schaub/Cushing type deals.
You can only rent him for much less.. you can't keep him for much less. If this guy even comes close to FA or approaches the type of sexy stats he did in 2012 the price tag is going to go through the roof.

Watt isn't a Foster, Schaub, or Cushing type deal (although if Cushing didn't have the leg injuries I would not put him on this list.. when healthy he's still the heart and soul and the tone setter on the defense).. Watt is Houston's franchise player and needs to be treated as such and locked up. The Texans don't need to pussy foot around the issue, just extend his contract, because chances are he's only going to get more expensive the longer they wait.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014   #294
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
You can only rent him for much less.. you can't keep him for much less. If this guy even comes close to FA or approaches the type of sexy stats he did in 2012 the price tag is going to go through the roof.

Watt isn't a Foster, Schaub, or Cushing type deal (although if Cushing didn't have the leg injuries I would not put him on this list.. when healthy he's still the heart and soul and the tone setter on the defense).. Watt is Houston's franchise player and needs to be treated as such and locked up. The Texans don't need to pussy foot around the issue, just extend his contract, because chances are he's only going to get more expensive the longer they wait.
While I agree, I thought AJ was this teams franchise player? Atleast he's paid that way.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014   #295
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
While I agree, I thought AJ was this teams franchise player? Atleast he's paid that way.
Yeah, and the issue is how many "franchise" players do you really have and how many can you afford to pay as such.
Old 02-09-2014   #296
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://walterfootball.com/awardsnfl2013.php

Quote:
WalterFootball.com Award (Best Player) - J.J. Watt, DE, Texans.

It was a close call between J.J. Watt and Robert Quinn. The latter posted more sacks, but Watt was better overall. Watt is the best player in football right now. It's just a shame that so many of his teammates quit this past season once it was apparent that the Texans would not be reaching the playoffs.
Old 03-03-2014   #297
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Opened new topic by request here: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=104286

Last edited by Playoffs; 03-03-2014 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Opened new topic by request
Old 03-03-2014   #298
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

players don't figure out where they get screwed in the NFLpa negotiations until all the sharp edges are in place.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #299
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

(this discussion should probably have its own thread, but whatever)

All the blame should go to the NFLPA and their leader Demaurice Smith. They negotiated the deal, and they signed it. If they don't like it, they can wait for the next lockout in 6 years to fix it. But those currently in power should realize that a good amount of the future leaders of the NFL are the ones who get screwed over by this.

I think the 5th year contract provision for 1st round picks should be removed, along with the Franchise Tag. Either put it in their contract the day they sign, or don't offer it at all. The idea of a "team option" in the NFL is just dumb, because teams are already so well protected from underperforming players as it is. And the fact that the 5th year deal isn't fully guaranteed for injury is a joke.
Old 03-03-2014   #300
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 17471 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Speaking on the bold area of your post. Doing that with Watt will follow with a disgruntled player that sits out during training camp etc.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read