Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

The Fire Rick Smith Thread

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
Just wanted to get this warmed up as no matter how this goes down there are going to be some pretty pi$$ed people on the board tonight.

There seems to be a very BIG anti-Amukamara camp.

A sizeable anti-Aldon Smith camp.

I really don't think there are too many circumstances where the board will not have some very outraged people.

So in preparation for that, I present to you, the Fire Rick Smith thread.

LOL! True. It won't matter who we draft there will always be the knee-jerkers whining and rantin

Smith, Quinn, Watt, Kerrigan or trade up/down...

anything else at 11, I'm fighting someone...and that someone is rick smith.

EDIT: Jordan as well.

Cameron Jordan/JJ Watt - People don't want b/c they're DEs and we need OLB.

Robert Quinn - Brain tumor/cyst. Underclassman who didn't even play last year because he was ineligible. How ready will he be to contribute in the NFL?

Aldon Smith - High risk/high reward type. Many don't like, broken leg, not overly impressive in highlights.

Prince Amukamara - some like him some don't. Burned badly by Justin Blackmon and those plays are forever etched into our brains. Rookie CB that has trouble with fast WRs? Welcome to the NFL... both he and Jackson would get picked on.

Julio Jones - not going to slip but if he does people will complain that he plays offense and we need defense.

Marcel Dareus - I think people would be ok with this idea even if he's far from getting anywhere near 11. Still some may complain he's DL and we need OLB. LOL

Nick Fairley - could potentially be available but how much impact would he make as a NT? Personally I think he's going to be a bust and many others do not like his attitude or work ethic. Some would be pleased because he played one good season in college.

Any QB, RB, OL pick would have people screaming. As with Safety at 11 where nobody would be close to BPA. Most all other OLBs that are "2nd or 3rd tier" people will say its a reach.

So that leaves Von Miller and Patrick Peterson as the only two players in this draft that will have the fanbase happy. Neither of whome will be there at #11. This means Rick Smith will have to trade up. Half the fanbase will love it, half the fanbase will think its the stupidest move ever. Half of the fanbase that likes the move up will be disappointed if Peterson is picked because they wanted Miller, an OLB that we need. Half the fanbase that likes the move up will be disappointed if it's Miller because they wanted Peterson who is the best player in the draft and fits just as big a need for the texans DB.

Rick Smith is effed. LOL :polevault:

C
So that leaves Von Miller and Patrick Peterson as the only two players in this draft that will have the fanbase happy.

hehehehe, nope. I am not a Miller fan. He will be ok but not worth the top 5 pick it will cost to get him.

Too light and too one dimensional to be a true great.

OK, LT was one dimensional but he was otherwordly. I don't see otherworldly in Miller.

well at least prince's anti group is bigger than aldon's. im pretty certain aldon's going to be the pick. no trading up or down imo

You just can't please everyone. I agree Ole Miss, we need OLB. If we draft CB in the first rd, we better move up and draft PP. If we draft PP, I will be happy and might PP on my pants.

Go Texans!!!

I created my avatar back in the days when I wanted a different Smith fired. I decided to keep it once that came to fruition because no matter how many Smiths you fire, it seems it's never enough.

I created my avatar back in the days when I wanted a different Smith fired. I decided to keep it once that came to fruition because no matter how many Smiths you fire, it seems it's never enough.

We should hire more Smiths so we can always have one to fire every year!

Yep, they just chose another white TE to play D. :mcnugget:

I wonder if he can play FB ..... :polevault:

All bullshit aside , he was a top eight player on most draft boards .... cant complain other than how much time does he get on the field with AS and MW ahead of him at DE. Suppose we'll see him at DT on passing downs (or at DE with AS at DT).

Getting him at 11 was good value for the pick.

"Fire Richard Smith!"

I'm there for that thread.

"Fire Frank Bush!"

Right there with you.

"Fire Gary Kubiak!"

Won't get any disagreement out of me.

"Fire Rick Smith!"

You know, at this point I don't care enough to want to see them fire anybody anymore.

You know the funniest thing to me is John McClain mocked the Texans selecting Aldon Smith, OLB #11. He said he doesn't usually get the player right (let that one slide) but he does nail the position. Unless Aldon is a a 3-4 DE? I think he missed on both counts. Don' get me wrong John is a great guy, its just he is supposed to be the Texans beat writer right, with all the inside scoop?

You know the funniest thing to me is John McClain mocked the Texans selecting Aldon Smith, OLB #11. He said he doesn't usually get the player right (let that one slide) but he does nail the position. Unless Aldon is a a 3-4 DE? I think he missed on both counts. Don' get me wrong John is a great guy, its just he is supposed to be the Texans beat writer right, with all the inside scoop?

Well, I will take John's first round picks any day over Rick Smith's. This is the last two picks by the General:

2009: Clay Matthews
2010: Devin Mcourty

I'm pretty sure there were knee-jerkers when we drafted him too. Too lazy to look it up threads, but odds are, there was

I hated the Cushing pick, I was a Matthews fan. Cushing proved me wrong in year 1, and then the test result were made public. Guess I was right after all. And now Matthews has a ring.

Well, Rick Smith made a great pick. DE is no a strength on the team, with 3 players of starting caliber. Next we need to see a NT, rush OLB, and secondary help.

I like the pick. After all, who do we have after Mario and Antonio? Jamison? I can't even begin to remember that guys name. We don't know how Mark Anderson is going to be used.

Then I look at it as an insurance policy because Mario is in a contract year. If Mario is the man he's going to look for money with a 4-3 team, or if he ends up sucking we are going to part ways. We have to prepare for that and JJ Watt gave us a player who will contribute this season and possibly be ready to replace Mario or Antonio with a year of NFL experience.

I like the pick. After all, who do we have after Mario and Antonio? Jamison? I can't even begin to remember that guys name. We don't know how Mark Anderson is going to be used.

Then I look at it as an insurance policy because Mario is in a contract year. If Mario is the man he's going to look for money with a 4-3 team, or if he ends up sucking we are going to part ways. We have to prepare for that and JJ Watt gave us a player who will contribute this season and possibly be ready to replace Mario or Antonio with a year of NFL experience.

Yeah, last year I remember everyone talking about what a strong group of linebackers we had...then Cushing errr...got pregnant....errr....overtrained...and DeMeco blew up his Achilles.

JJ Watt. I give it a "shoulder shrug." Not that I don't like the guy but he just is under the "hustle guy" moniker that I'm not seeing as difference maker. I'll admit part of it was seeing Fairley and some others there and wanting to roll the dice with a guy who could be a monster. Watt might be, just doesn't excite me.

JJ Watt. I give it a "shoulder shrug." Not that I don't like the guy but he just is under the "hustle guy" moniker that I'm not seeing as difference maker. I'll admit part of it was seeing Fairley and some others there and wanting to roll the dice with a guy who could be a monster. Watt might be, just doesn't excite me.

Ever seen Watt play?

Watch some tape you'll get excited for him.

Watt has all the measurables .... If he were black I wonder if people would pigeon hole him as a hustle guy. His 10 yard split ,20y shuttle and 3 cone were all better than what MW put up at the combine while his 40 and bench were very close.

How does he measure up with MW?

MW:----------- Watt:
ht - 6'7" ----------- 6'5"
wt - 295 ------------ 290
arm length - 33 1/8" ---------- 34"
hand size - 10" ---------- 11 1/8"
40 yd - 4.65s ---------- 4.84s
10 yd split -1.80s ---------- 1.61
20 yd split - 2.77s----------
20 ss - 4.37s ---------- 4.21s
3 cone - 7.21s ----------- 6.88s
vert - 40' 1/2" ------------ 34"
broad - 10' ---------- 10'
BP - 35 ---------- 34

Fairley could be a monster or he could be Travis Johnson .... Not so sure that this front office could afford to take the risk that Fairley presents.

I might not agree with the position they chose to go with but I cant complain about the player .... He's a top tier prospect.

I would have took Quinn but It's not my job and I didn't scout either of them . Having said that , I hope they didn't pass on Quinn because he got booted of NC last year .

I like the pick! Hopefully Wade nails tonights picks too. Keep sending Smith out for coffee and donuts and we'll be ok

Ever seen Watt play?

Watch some tape you'll get excited for him.

Yeah, I saw him play against my Frogs in the Rose Bowl and before that I saw nothing but Watt highlight tapes leading up to the game. As I said I like the guy ALOT but part of me is afraid he is going to get lost in the shuffle with the new scheme. I can see him getting lost in traffic. That is my main fear and reservation. I don't want Babin Part 2. Hopefully Wade gets alot out of him. He is definitely someone you don't have to worry about when it comes to working hard and being a team guy.

On a side note I hate watching highlight reels on guys because everyone looks Top 10 with highlights.

Watt has all the measurables .... If he were black I wonder if people would pigeon hole him as a hustle guy. His 10 yard split ,20y shuttle and 3 cone were all better than what MW put up at the combine while his 40 and bench were very close.

His color has nothing to do with it. That is what people bring up the most.

I think what is and will make Watt great is that he is a really hard working, hustling guy, that just happens to have great physical gifts while still learning and developing his skills at the position.

Rick Smith has been saved by letting Wade get what he wants within reason. I have been happy with the draft so far. Two players I wanted to target in the 2nd round are now Texans, and a safe high effort guy who is the 3-4 DE in the draft was taken in the 1st round.

I retrack my prior vote. Now he still has to get us a punter, and sign some free agents to fill out the roster.

Last edited:
Can I like the pick and still want Rick Smith fired?

THIS!

**** Rick Smith and his horrible talent evaluation. This is the first draft in 6 years that seems to mean something for the team going forward. Instead of trying to 'outsmart' the rest of the league by picking guys a round early, we got Wade Phillips driving the defensive needs selections and it makes a monumental difference. If even just 3 of these picks work out, this draft will have been more successful than any under Rick Smith during his tenure. We obviously need a new GM more than anything... not to say Gary is off the hook, but he might not be as big of an issue as this guy IMHO.

FIRE RICK SMITH IN 2011!!!

I think Rick Smith has been exposed to a contract writer and budget balancer. Since Casserly/Kubiak draft, we haven't had the best of luck drafting defensively, but have done marginally better offensively. There has been some value in the later rounds, but nothing really jumps out at you. I think he heavily relies on coaches to make picks, which can be a good thing.

Rick has done better with contracts compared to Casserly, but who couldnt right? He just needs to resign Leach, get some good FAs to plug the secondary holes, and he may start getting into the good graces.

2010RndNameCollege
Kareem JacksonAlabama
2Ben TateAuburn
3Earl MitchellArizona
4Darryl SharptonMiami (FL)
4Garrett GrahamWisconsin
5Sherrick McManisNorthwestern
6Shelley SmithColorado State
6Trindon HollidayLSU
7Dorin DickersonPittsburgh

2009RndNameCollege
1Brian CushingSouthern Cal
2Connor BarwinCincinnati
3Antoine CaldwellAlabama
4Glover QuinNew Mexico
4Anthony HillNorth Carolina State
5James CaseyRice
6Brice McCainUtah
7Troy NolanArizona State

2008RndNameCollegeNote
1Duane BrownVirginia Tech
3Antwaun MoldenEastern Kentucky
3Steve SlatonWest Virginia
4Xavier AdibiVirginia Tech
5Frank OkamTexas
6Dominique BarberMinnesota
7Alex BrinkWashington State

2007RndNameCollegeNote1
Amobi OkoyeLouisville
3Jacoby JonesLane
4Fredrick BennettSouth Carolina
5Brandon HarrisonStanford
5Brandon FryeVirginia Tech
6Kasey StuddardTexas
7Zachary DilesKansas State

Last edited:
Rick Smith isn't even a real GM. He is just one in title only. The guy is just a Kubiak puppet that got over here since stupiak got hired and wanted a Denver guy in here with him. We are the only team in the NFL that would employ this guy as a GM. He'll be fired at some point, but it should have been several years ago.

Back