Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-28-2011   #1
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Von Miller to Denver

This is the new rumor or basically what is being said by Gosselin, McShay, LZ and others from PFT. That moves Peterson and Dareus down. I'm really excited about this draft. I think there will be alot of maneuvering.

http://twitter.com/#!/evansilva

Quote:
evansilva Evan Silva
Remember Mayock also has Von Miller No. 2 to #Broncos, and NFLN's Kara Henderson, who's in Denver, says sentiment has shifted toward Von.
Quote:
ESPN's @McShay13 on SportsCenter: "I strongly believe" Von Miller will be #Broncos pick at No. 2 overall. http://bit.ly/e12Jwl
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/n...-headlines?r=1

Quote:
ESPN's Todd McShay said on SportsCenter Thursday morning that he "strongly believe(s)" the Broncos will take Texas A&M LB Von Miller with the No. 2 overall pick in the draft.
Mike Mayock and Kara Henderson of NFL Network agree with McShay. Henderson is on site at Broncos headquarters, and if we had to construct a mock draft right now, we'd probably give Miller the edge over Marcell Dareus. It's going to make pick No. 3 very interesting for the Bills. Buffalo could easily take Dareus, but Adam Schefter believes Blaine Gabbert is a serious possibility.
http://twitter.com/#!/LanceZierlein

Quote:
@evansilva I have Miller in at 2 and Fairley at 4 and Pouncey at 14. Surprises coming today for sure. Major surprises #Quinnfallingtumor
Old 04-28-2011   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Von Miller to Denver

This is good and bad news. Bad news that one of the top OLB will most definetly be gone by the time we pick. Good news that just maybe something crazy happens and Dareus falls to us.

However, I believe the lying will increase over the next few hours. Perhaps Denver has heard we want Miller and they are calling our bluff about trading down with us.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011   #3
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
This is good and bad news. Bad news that one of the top OLB will most definetly be gone by the time we pick. Good news that just maybe something crazy happens and Dareus falls to us.

However, I believe the lying will increase over the next few hours. Perhaps Denver has heard we want Miller and they are calling our bluff about trading down with us.
Maybe they'll take Mario for Von Miller.

You do that and then draft Cam Jordan at 11 and your front 7 is looking a whole hell of a lot better.
Old 04-28-2011   #4
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

My question is how Miller fits the 4-3 under Fox. Isn't he better suited for the 3-4? I've read that Kiper said he makes a great SAM backer who can get after the QB but we will see.
Old 04-28-2011   #5
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, this could be an exciting ride tonight.
Old 04-28-2011   #6
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post

You do that and then draft Cam Jordan at 11 and your front 7 is looking a whole hell of a lot better.
Really? A skinny OLB for one of the best DE in the league.
Old 04-28-2011   #7
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Wow, this could be an exciting ride tonight.
Agree. I LOVE the draft and I am really up for this one because I think it will be anything but cookie cutter.
Old 04-28-2011   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I would not be surprised if they took him, but I think this is a smoke screen. Why would they let that info leak hours before the draft? I think they are trying to generate interest from teams.

But like I said, I would not be shocked if they went ahead and picked him.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

No thanks. That's one of the few scenarios where I'd actually be pissed.

Mario is going to be a beast in the 34. . .as long as hes motivated.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011   #10
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

No. Just no. Mario for a guy who hasn't played a single down in the NFL?
Old 04-28-2011   #11
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
My question is how Miller fits the 4-3 under Fox. Isn't he better suited for the 3-4? I've read that Kiper said he makes a great SAM backer who can get after the QB but we will see.
The DEs are the edge-rushers in the 4-3 and Miller is just too small to play DE in the NFL, that's why everyone assumes that Miller goes to a 3-4 where the edge-rushers are the OLBs. I've got to think that Denver (if they draft Miller), is gonna run a lot of stuff from the a 3-4 scheme.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011   #12
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
No. Just no. Mario for a guy who hasn't played a single down in the NFL?
Yes.

I mean, when you oversimplify it like you have, it's not favorable to us. But when you consider factors like Mario not liking the 3-4 switch, Mario's injury history, Mario's lackadaisical play at times, and having to re-sign Mario to a long-term, high money deal after next season, your perspective should change a bit.

Ask yourself this, assuming Miller ends up in a 3-4, who has more sacks over the next 5 years and who makes more money? There's a better than good chance that the answers to those questions are Miller and Mario respectively. If that's the case, such a trade would favor us.
Old 04-28-2011   #13
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I've heard similar speculation about him playing in a 4-3, but that just doesn't make sense to me. When A&M played a 4-3, did he play end or LB?

He seems to be too small to play end in the NFL, especially if you have Dumervil playing on the other side, and playing him at SAM doesn't fully utilize his strengths.
Old 04-28-2011   #14
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 122253 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Really? A skinny OLB for one of the best DE in the league.
Best DE in a 4-3. Mario is a bigger unknown as a 3-4 DE Miller is as a 3-4 OLB.

Quote:
Yes.

I mean, when you oversimplify it like you have, it's not favorable to us. But when you consider factors like Mario not liking the 3-4 switch, Mario's injury history, Mario's lackadaisical play at times, and having to re-sign Mario to a long-term, high money deal after next season, your perspective should change a bit.

Ask yourself this, assuming Miller ends up in a 3-4, who has more sacks over the next 5 years and who makes more money? There's a better than good chance that the answers to those questions are Miller and Mario respectively. If that's the case, such a trade would favor us.
Yep.

This isn't a knock on Mario, just objective reality. If the Texans were staying 4-3 they'd have to pry him from my cold, dead fingers.
Old 04-28-2011   #15
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 8095 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Call me crazy, but I believe Mario will have a better career at the 3-4 DE. He doesn't have any moves just a crazy strong bull rush which I believe is perfect for the 3-4 DE for getting penetration and push so the OLB's can find the holes and get pressure.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011   #16
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

This doesn't make sense. Denver has a former first round pick in Robert Ayers who is a better fit in their 4-3 than he was in the 3-4 scheme and Elvis Dummervil plays the DE position really well so why draft Miller?

An interior linemen like Marcel Dareus or Nick Fairley would make much more sense.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011   #17
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
This doesn't make sense. Denver has a former first round pick in Robert Ayers who is a better fit in their 4-3 than he was in the 3-4 scheme and Elvis Dummervil plays the DE position really well so why draft Miller?

An interior linemen like Marcel Dareus or Nick Fairley would make much more sense.
Agreed. I dont understand Denver taking Von.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011   #18
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've heard similar speculation about him playing in a 4-3, but that just doesn't make sense to me. When A&M played a 4-3, did he play end or LB?

He seems to be too small to play end in the NFL, especially if you have Dumervil playing on the other side, and playing him at SAM doesn't fully utilize his strengths.
Miller played end when A&M was in a 43 but they were in a 34 almost exclusively his last two years and he always played standing up.

I don't project Miller to any position in a 43 defense. He is strictly a 34 rush backer only. Him going to Denver makes no sense at all.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011   #19
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Miller played end when A&M was in a 43 but they were in a 34 almost exclusively his last two years and he always played standing up.

I don't project Miller to any position in a 43 defense. He is strictly a 34 rush backer only. Him going to Denver makes no sense at all.
Denver wants him because he can be an edge rushing DE or drop back in coverage in a 4 man front. If he does become a DE, he may have to add some bulk, but I think Von can still do well in a 43.

That said, I agree his best fit is a 34 defense.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011   #20
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

You also have to consider that the Broncos have Dumerville, who will likely be the SAM in their 4-3 defense. I don't know where else they would have Von play. In the future, he could bulk up and be a DE, but at 240 he will be undersized for that position.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read