Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-27-2011   #1
Ndevine7
All Pro

Rep Power: 273 Ndevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Patrick Peterson

If Peterson is available at 6 would u be willing to trade our 1st(1250) and 2nd(480) for Clevelands 1st(1600) and 4th(92)? Or our 1st(1250) 3rd(225) and 4th(84) for Cleveland's 1st(1600)? I am a huge Peterson guy and think he is the next Champ Bailey and we need to get him if we can. What are all your thoughts?
Old 04-27-2011   #2
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Patrick Peterson

I would be thrilled - and hate to watch those next rounds without a pick. We have many holes, but maybe those impact players are what we really need (Peterson or Von). So if they decide to move up I`d be happy. If they don`t I`d be glad - since other top talents (like Curry) don`t pan out as good as people thought they were, and Id hate to give up major draft picks to get an ok guy.

Now is the time again to be annoyed by the last regular season win. If Im correct we`d be picking 6th if we lost. One of those 2 players could fall in our laps at 6, or a trade up wouldn`t be half as costly...
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011   #3
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

If it only took our first and second this year to do it I could live with it.

Still want to stay put or move down. We need MOAR bodies not less.
Old 04-27-2011   #4
Ndevine7
All Pro

Rep Power: 273 Ndevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
If it only took our first and second this year to do it I could live with it.

Still want to stay put or move down. We need MOAR bodies not less.
I know we need more bodies but not everyday do you come across someone with the talent of Peterson. Drafting Peterson would allow Jackson to be the 2nd CB(where i believe he belongs at least now) and could shut down half of the field (like Revis does and what Bailey used to do).
Old 04-27-2011   #5
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

One big piece is more needed then more bodies. A game changer type on defense can go a long way. I'm not saying give up our whole draft, but 2 picks is worth it.
Old 04-27-2011   #6
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97142 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
One big piece is more needed then more bodies. A game changer type on defense can go a long way. I'm not saying give up our whole draft, but 2 picks is worth it.

Tell that to the Vikings with the Herschel Walker trade, the Saints & that Ricky Williams debacle & hell even that SD & ATL deal that netted SD LT & Drew Brees.

Look at our 2006 draft. we had 3 of those guys go on to the pro bowl. 1 of those guys was the DPOY & the other likely would've been a multi pro bowler as he was having a pro bowl-esque type season before he got hurt. The point is you stand to land more of those type of guys with more picks than you would trading away some of those mid round picks to get a guy that statistically speaking only stands a slightly better chance at becoming what everyone thinks he'll be......of course this is all dependent upon you being able to grade talent effectively.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011   #7
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Cleveland will be willing to trade down. The players they covet will be available at #6 but not at #11.

I think the only way we get Peterson is trading to #2 or #5.

If they pull it off I would be thrilled with it. I'm on record saying Peterson is right now and will be the best player to come out of this draft.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-27-2011   #8
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry but this guy won't be the next Champ Bailey but may be the next Ed Reed. He will be a safety. I've read 3 reports now about his weight. In fact I wrote this on here earlier in the week and then saw the link below today. The guy is 219 and when he gets NFL trainers working with him I'm sure he will be in the 220s. No CB plays at that weight, no matter speed. He'll be a safety within a year or two. I also wouldn't give up too much. I'm all for big moves but with a team switching to a 3-4 they might need to concentrate on getting as many of "Wade's Guys" in as possible.

http://twitter.com/#!/evansilva

Quote:
evansilva Evan Silva
ESPN's Todd McShay, on Mike & Mike, discussing Patrick Peterson: "At 219 pounds ... he may move to safety."
Old 04-27-2011   #9
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

The guy might not necessarily gain weight in the NFL. A lot of guys (admittedly not usually CBs) drop weight when they start working with the NFL strength coaches.
Old 04-27-2011   #10
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
The guy might not necessarily gain weight in the NFL. A lot of guys (admittedly not usually CBs) drop weight when they start working with the NFL strength coaches.
He could, I'm just going on what alot of these guys are saying with his frame..that he could easily carry mid to high 220s and scouts were looking at that.
Old 04-27-2011   #11
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Here is the additional info I read awhile back

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/...trick-peterson

Quote:
Ex-49ers CB Eric Davis, who started 151 games from 1990-2002, believes Nebraska's Prince Amukamara will be a better corner at the next level than LSU's Patrick Peterson.
"There's a word to describe a 220-pound cornerback: safety," said Davis. "There's no way at that size he can remain at corner with the way the rules are in the NFL." Peterson will enter the NFL as the heaviest corner in the league at age 20. In all likelihood, he's only going to get bigger. When he does move to safety in a few years, he'll be one of the biggest in the league at that position, too. None of this is to say that he's not a "can't-miss" prospect with elite talent
Old 04-27-2011   #12
bah007
Hall of Fame

I think a lot of people are falling into the trap of projecting his size only instead of projecting his skills and athletic ability.

I have never seen him in person, but from looking at him I would say that 220 is probably the max on his frame. He is only 6'0" tall. Maybe if I actually saw him in person I would think different but I can only go by what I have seen.

The guy has CB skills that translate directly to the NFL. He also has FS skills so a team could play him there. But sticking him there only because he is big seems like a mistake.
Old 04-27-2011   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Tell that to the Vikings with the Herschel Walker trade, the Saints & that Ricky Williams debacle & hell even that SD & ATL deal that netted SD LT & Drew Brees.

Look at our 2006 draft. we had 3 of those guys go on to the pro bowl. 1 of those guys was the DPOY & the other likely would've been a multi pro bowler as he was having a pro bowl-esque type season before he got hurt. The point is you stand to land more of those type of guys with more picks than you would trading away some of those mid round picks to get a guy that statistically speaking only stands a slightly better chance at becoming what everyone thinks he'll be......of course this is all dependent upon you being able to grade talent effectively.
With Rick and Gary drafting you take the sure thing. Miller/Peterson.

You wouldn't trade Texans 1/2 for Clevelands 1/4th?

If you wanted to trade the Texans 3rd and Clevelands 4th you could move back into the 2nd rd and take a pass rusher like Reed/Carter.

Rd.1 Peterson
Rd.2 C.Carter
Rd.4 Powe taken with Houstons pick.

Essentially you would only be trading a 3rd rd pick and swapping places with Cleveland to get Peterson. A small price to pay.IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011   #14
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe we trade up to draft him, let him put on those extra pounds they are all talking about and bingo bango, we have our stud OLB.
Old 04-27-2011   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Sorry but this guy won't be the next Champ Bailey but may be the next Ed Reed. He will be a safety. I've read 3 reports now about his weight. In fact I wrote this on here earlier in the week and then saw the link below today. The guy is 219 and when he gets NFL trainers working with him I'm sure he will be in the 220s. No CB plays at that weight, no matter speed. He'll be a safety within a year or two. I also wouldn't give up too much. I'm all for big moves but with a team switching to a 3-4 they might need to concentrate on getting as many of "Wade's Guys" in as possible.

Ronnie Lott started out at CB and moved to S. I could see the same thing with Peterson. Not saying Peterson will become Ronnie Lott.

The only knock I have against Peterson is his soph yr he had problems with cramps late in games.

I could see Dallas trading up befor the Texans though.
Old 04-27-2011   #16
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Maybe we trade up to draft him, let him put on those extra pounds they are all talking about and bingo bango, we have our stud OLB.
Never thought about that.

An OLB that runs in the mid 4.3's. = Weapon
Old 04-27-2011   #17
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Never thought about that.

An OLB that runs in the mid 4.3's. = Weapon
ummm is that von miller pretty much lol
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011   #18
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post

I say not to give up the whole draft, and you cite two teams who gave up their whole draft...
Old 04-27-2011   #19
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
ummm is that von miller pretty much lol
And I think they would both struggle with the size and strength of NFL OL and TEs.

At least with Peterson you would have the leagues best coverage LB.
Old 04-27-2011   #20
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post

If you told me he would be the next Ed Reed, I would draft him at 5 or 6. Yesterday.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read