Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-26-2011   #1
MFG16
Veteran

Rep Power: 301 MFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rick Smith Open to Trading Up...

Link: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/7537921.html

Also stated the team was interested in re-signing Vonta Leach.
MFG16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #2
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith Open to Trading Up...

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...3-9a0fcb2d15cd

Entire press conference.
Old 04-26-2011   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

He also said he was open to trading back. We could probably watch last year's pre-draft PC and come away with the same info
Old 04-26-2011   #4
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard a little bit of this earlier. The one interesting comment that Rick Smith made during this press conference was in response to a question about the priority of drafting someone who could return kicks. Smith said that it was not a priority, as the Texans already have an excellent kick returner on the team - Trindon Holliday.

That was a bit of a surprise, as Holliday did not really impress during preseason last year before he was injured. However, it appears that the team has high hopes for him.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #5
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
I heard a little bit of this earlier. The one interesting comment that Rick Smith made during this press conference was in response to a question about the priority of drafting someone who could return kicks. Smith said that it was not a priority, as the Texans already have an excellent kick returner on the team - Trindon Holliday.

That was a bit of a surprise, as Holliday did not really impress during preseason last year before he was injured. However, it appears that the team has high hopes for him.
If it doesn't work, try and try again. LOL that's how this entire organization operates.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #6
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
He also said he was open to trading back. We could probably watch last year's pre-draft PC and come away with the same info
Agreed, we could probably watch the press conference from 4 yrs. ago and get the same info. Of course their open to trading up, down, sideways, etc... There's no news here.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #7
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm encouraged to hear that they have made some changes to their approach this season. That's good.

I'm also encouraged that he brought up the 2009 draft, specifically, as an example of how not drafting for need worked out well for the team: Arian Foster was an UDFA. I say this because, with FA occurring after the draft, I have been terrified that the Texans will attempt to solve their secondary and LB problems through the draft and reach for those need positions instead of drafting for value. In turn, afterwards, they will see less need to add talent in FA because of all the resources they just spent at those positions.

Frankly, I would be ecstatic if the Texans didn't draft a single DB in the draft, though I know many on these boards would be ripping them for it. To me, it would signal that they are determined to fill those holes through a very rich free agent market.
Old 04-26-2011   #8
IBleedTexans
Superbowl Bound

Rep Power: 1809 IBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well I remember in training camp he looked really good. I know it was only practice but his speed was undeniable. I think Holliday has the best shot to become the number 1 kr.
IBleedTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #9
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearSuperMario View Post
Well I remember in training camp he looked really good. I know it was only practice but his speed was undeniable. I think Holliday has the best shot to become the number 1 kr.
That is not what I remember at all. He was having real difficulties trying to establish himself as a viable backup wide receiver. And as a kick returner, he dropped the ball - a lot.

In any case, he was injured all last year and was on injured reserve. Certainly there is no reason not to bring him into training camp this year and give him another chance.

Regardless of his performance in training camp last year, I hope Rick Smith is right. Good luck, Trindon!
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #10
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If we resign Andre Davis, he'll be dedicated to KR. Lord knows he hasn't done much as a receiver. Holliday is like Eric Metcalf. A sawed off little water bug that may or may not pan out. At least we didn't spend much on Holliday if he pans. I wish him the best, though. I hope he becomes the all-time leader in KR for TD's while wearing a Texans uniform.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #11
mokalus
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 mokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I'm encouraged to hear that they have made some changes to their approach this season. That's good.

I'm also encouraged that he brought up the 2009 draft, specifically, as an example of how not drafting for need worked out well for the team: Arian Foster was an UDFA. I say this because, with FA occurring after the draft, I have been terrified that the Texans will attempt to solve their secondary and LB problems through the draft and reach for those need positions instead of drafting for value. In turn, afterwards, they will see less need to add talent in FA because of all the resources they just spent at those positions.

Frankly, I would be ecstatic if the Texans didn't draft a single DB in the draft, though I know many on these boards would be ripping them for it. To me, it would signal that they are determined to fill those holes through a very rich free agent market.
I'm not sure if "ecstatic" is the right word to use here, but I see what you're getting at. IMO, unless we can trade up for Peterson or land Prince, I would want the team to focus on drafting for other positions. However, Texans history has not suggested that they will be willing to spend a lot of money on a top-tier free agent; in fact, it's just the opposite. So, in essence, I'm not getting my hopes up that they will pay Champ or Aso, but if they're not drafting a DB like Peterson or Prince in round 1, I'd rather the team sign a veteran DB to a reasonable contract.

With that said, I have to admit it'd be a very tough decision to not draft Julio Jones if he's still available at #11. I'm just not completely sold on Aldon Smith... but since there's such a need at that position, I guess I'd be okay with the Texans taking that risk.

Still can't believe it's time for the NFL Draft already.
mokalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #12
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Smith said "if he believes it's a reasonable deal that will help the team",
he would trade up. Well of course he should in that scenario, otherwise he should be fired by McNair for dereliction of obligations as McNairs GM if he didn't.
But you guys who love Von Miller can forget about Smith moving up for him - too expensive. But I think there's a chance they move up to swap their first round pick along with their 4th rounder and maybe their 6th or 7th with Dallas to take Robert Quinn if he's there at the 9th pick.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #13
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 223945 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Whatever plans the Texans (any of them) might have will probably change once others have drafted before and after them. I'm not looking for any big suprise Thursday night. In fact, if anything other than they use their 11th pick on a defensive player happens I'd be shocked.

Of course it's not like the Texans haven't shocked me before, but it's normally not a happy shock.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #14
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Whatever plans the Texans (any of them) might have will probably change once others have drafted before and after them. I'm not looking for any big suprise Thursday night. In fact, if anything other than they use their 11th pick on a defensive player happens I'd be shocked.

Of course it's not like the Texans haven't shocked me before, but it's normally not a happy shock.
I hope they shock the hell out of you and trade up for Miller. Keep your nitro handy.
Old 04-26-2011   #15
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Smith said "if he believes it's a reasonable deal that will help the team",
he would trade up. Well of course he should in that scenario, otherwise he should be fired by McNair for dereliction of obligations as McNairs GM if he didn't.
But you guys who love Von Miller can forget about Smith moving up for him - too expensive. But I think there's a chance they move up to swap their first round pick along with their 4th rounder and maybe their 6th or 7th with Dallas to take Robert Quinn if he's there at the 9th pick.
Thanks for crapping on my heart. I hope you pee the bed tonite.
Old 04-26-2011   #16
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
If we resign Andre Davis, he'll be dedicated to KR. Lord knows he hasn't done much as a receiver. Holliday is like Eric Metcalf. A sawed off little water bug that may or may not pan out. At least we didn't spend much on Holliday if he pans. I wish him the best, though. I hope he becomes the all-time leader in KR for TD's while wearing a Texans uniform.
I see no reason to resign Andre Davis. He's a mediocre at best receiver and a terrible kick returner. He had that game a few years back when he returned two kicks for TD's and the Texans then signed him for more than he's worth.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #17
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 14086 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

John Clayton and Todd McShay were spewing lots of stuff on how the Texans might be interested in trading up to #5 for Patrick Peterson if he's still there. Apparently we have a crush on him.
Old 04-26-2011   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans need to get Peterson or Miller.

Then they need to hit on all their mid round draft picks.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
John Clayton and Todd McShay were spewing lots of stuff on how the Texans might be interested in trading up to #5 for Patrick Peterson if he's still there. Apparently we have a crush on him.
Peterson is the best prospect in the entire draft .... I sure wouldnt mind them trading up to get him.

I havent heard anything about the team having a crush on him ..... I do know they like Miller. To get him would take a big move up , not so sure they would be willing to pay the price to get to pick 2-3.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #20
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Peterson is the best prospect in the entire draft .... I sure wouldnt mind them trading up to get him.

I havent heard anything about the team having a crush on him ..... I do know they like Miller. To get him would take a big move up , not so sure they would be willing to pay the price to get to pick 2-3.
I might be in the minority on this one but if we come out of this draft with Peterson or Miller and a couple late round picks I would still be excited. I think in this system Miller could be a hof caliber player and Peterson could be one in any system. Not having a 2nd/3rd/4th/etc would suck because the anticipation and excitement of that 2nd round pick can be almost as good as the 1st rounder but I will be floating on cloud 9 if we trade up for either of these guys.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read