Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-25-2011   #1
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default McClain Claim Texans to Move up for Miller or Peterson

Though you can't trade Okoye so his report makes no sense

Quote:
evansilva Evan Silva
#Texans expected to try to trade up for Von Miller or Patrick Peterson. http://bit.ly/e12Jwl
http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6500/von-miller

Quote:
The Houston Chronicle's John McClain expects the Texans to try to trade up for Von Miller or Patrick Peterson.The Texans would have to get to No. 2 for Miller, and McClain suggests offering their first-, third-, and fourth-round picks plus Amobi Okoye. We suspect it still wouldn't be enough to move from No. 11 to 2. Peterson may be a more reasonable target, particularly if he's on the board at No. 5 or 6. If the Texans stay put, McClain has them taking Aldon Smith of Missouri. Apr 25, 4:56 PM
Quote:
evansilva Evan Silva
Per the trade value chart, #Texans would have to offer their entire draft plus Amobi Okoye to get from 11 to 2 for Von Miller

Quote:
evansilva Evan Silva
@ Ha, they can't. Trade for Von Miller won't happen. Peterson not out of question. RT @will12203 but how can the Texans trade a player?
Old 04-25-2011   #2
JimBaker488
Veteran

Rep Power: 106 JimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McClain Claim Texans to Move up for Miller or Peterson

I'd rather have Peterson than Miller because he's scheme-diverse while Miller is a 3-4 guy only and he's also going to struggle vs the run.
JimBaker488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011   #3
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Is there some kind of loophole or special provision that would allow teams to trade players? I don't know everything about the NFL rules and what's what in regards to lockout dealings...Maybe there is some small print somewhere that would allow a player to be traded...McClain isn't the first one I've seen say that...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011   #4
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Trading up is definitely the way to go IMO...I'd take Peterson or Miller...I think both make an instant impact on our defense...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011   #5
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 169136 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

With the judges ruling today; would player movement be possible? The lockout is lifted after all...in theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011   #6
Tx Longhorn
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Tx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respected

While I'm not at all against moving up for Peterson at the price of swapping firsts and surrendering a first, third and fourth for him. However, it also essentially screams WIN NOW, which more or less is the position the Texans are in.
Tx Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #7
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I see the Texans windbag is still blowing strong...

Smokescreen anyone?
Old 04-26-2011   #8
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

I would much rather have Peterson than Miller because Miller has a bigger bust potential. Peterson contributes in a lot of ways and is badly needed as a CB or FS whereas, we can get a rush OLB later on in the draft or sign an UDFA.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #9
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

John McClain is so full of shit.

It's amazing how they talk about trading up every year, and they always vastly underestimate what it would cost to do it.

F'kin sportswriters.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #10
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Gotta be Wade, and he may be one of those "fall in love" guys. I hope Mr Smith nixes it.

It appears they're active behind the scenes this year, which may be a new way to ferret out likely picks & smokescreen our own. Jerrah does that.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #11
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Just do it. I'm all for it.
Old 04-26-2011   #12
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

The middle rounds of the draft is where you build the core of your team. Trading away those picks make no sense to me. One player is not going to solve this teams problems, but several can start to make a difference.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #13
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
The middle rounds of the draft is where you build the core of your team. Trading away those picks make no sense to me. One player is not going to solve this teams problems, but several can start to make a difference.
The middle rounds is where we've stunk it up also.
One freak of nature talent can help a team as or more than 2 or 3 ordinary players that are back ups or special teamers.
Old 04-26-2011   #14
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm all for moving up for impact players but I don't think throwing out a whole dradt for rookies is a good idea. If you are going to throw 2 #1s for a proven vet like Aso I can see it. If you are going to have a draft that lists one rookie and say.."Awesome" that is playing a little too fast and loose. I think Peterson is more valuable considering his size allows him the move to safety and you can also get a FA CB. But overall I wouldn't give up too much. I think if they move up it is a few spots for one of the pass rushers they think may be going too early.
Old 04-26-2011   #15
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Surely you wouldn't trade up for Peterson with the mind set he could move to safety?

You don't give up the farm for a safety.
Old 04-26-2011   #16
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

So because we won our last game, we got burdened with Smithiak for another and we have to give up our whole draft to draft someone we could have had at our natural position.

As long as they don't trade next years picks, I guess I am fine with it. I just don't want them trading 2012 picks. Those picks are for the next regime.
Old 04-26-2011   #17
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

If they move up, they need to try for Dareus. Plug that middle for Mario and our backers.
Old 04-26-2011   #18
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
So because we won our last game, we got burdened with Smithiak for another and we have to give up our whole draft to draft someone we could have had at our natural position.
Right. It's really counter productive for a team to pull out all of the stops to win their last game when the difference between 5 and 6 wins in the following years draft can be the difference between getting a really valuable starter vs getting an average talent. For example it could be the difference between getting a Von Miller or a Patrick Peterson vs a Aldon Smith or a Prince.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #19
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
With Rick and Garys draft record. Give me Peterson/Miller over 1st rd pick (Jackson) 3rd rd pick (Caldwell/Molden) 4th rd pick (Graham.)

Take the sure thing every time and twice on Sunday. Even if you have to throw in a 2012 3rd.

Thorn I agree with your philosophy. But with Rick and Gary mid round wasting picks. I would do the trade up thing.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #20
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
If they move up, they need to try for Dareus. Plug that middle for Mario and our backers.
I'd rather this than Miller or PatPete.

However, I'm also against any trade up.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read