Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-25-2011   #1
Tx Longhorn
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Tx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedTx Longhorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default According to Adam Schefter: Patriots and Eagles looking to trade up

It's believed the Eagles could look to move up into the top ten to get Patrick Peterson or Prince Amukamara, while the Pats seem to be targeting Aldon Smith, Cameron Jordan or Tyron Smith.

Both teams have draft picks to spare and in the Eagles' case, they could dangle Kevin Kolb as bait to trade up with a team like Arizona or San Francisco, who are coveting QB upgrades.

From a Texan perspective, I'd not in the least be opposed to seeing to swap the 11th with New England and get the 28th and 33rd picks. Could take Aaron Williams at 28 and Brooks Reed at 33.. Or Justin Houston, depending on who falls.

I honestly could see the Cards and Eagles swapping picks with Arizona netting Kolb, a second and third.
Tx Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011   #2
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: According to Adam Schefter: Patriots and Eagles looking to trade up

Kolb could only be traded if the lockout is over by draft day.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011   #3
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, I don't like trading down in this draft...Maybe the Texans have evaluated the players and feel their isn't much difference between the ones they covet later in the first round...

But I just don't like the idea of dropping down and picking up the best guy that falls to us...Unless of course they think that some of the guys slated to go later are actually better than some of the guys that will be available where they are at...

But just trading down and picking up the best guy that falls to you seems like FAIL. Especially when we are in need of differnce makers.

Not knowing how free agency is going to go, I would like to be more aggressive in the draft. If we are counting on a late first round pick, and a couple second rounders tho come in and play prominent roles I don't think we will be successful anyways. Those seem like great moves for the future, but we need to win immediately.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011   #4
JimBaker488
Veteran

Rep Power: 106 JimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Longhorn View Post

From a Texan perspective, I'd not in the least be opposed to seeing to swap the 11th with New England and get the 28th and 33rd picks. Kolb, a second
I think I'd also make that trade.
JimBaker488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Longhorn View Post
Could take Aaron Williams at 28 and Brooks Reed at 33.. Or Justin Houston, depending on who falls.
On paper it looks like a good deal. I just don't know if the Texans can get a top flight pass rusher that far down. I like some of the corners. But Duane Akina-coached CBs scare me. And at FS, Williams is a projection.

The more I look at it, I would be inclined to stay at #11.
Old 04-26-2011   #6
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
On paper it looks like a good deal. I just don't know if the Texans can get a top flight pass rusher that far down. I like some of the corners. But Duane Akina-coached CBs scare me. And at FS, Williams is a projection.

The more I look at it, I would be inclined to stay at #11.
Why is that??

Michael Griffin has been a great player.

Aaron Ross has been a pretty good player.

Quentin Jammer has been one of the best CB's in the league I'd say for the most part of the decade.

Quentin griffin who was a 3rd round pick has been a servicable starter.

Nathan Vasher was pretty good for a few years, but I'm not sure what happened to him now.

On the other side............

Michael Huff has been a total bust for the most part

I don't know what Tarrell Brown is doing, but he might be starting for all I know.

So, you take into account that Michael Griffin and Jammer have been pretty outstanding and then a few others have been pretty nice starters I don't see what is to be afraid of really. Sure there have been some of those guys that didn't measure up, but I don't think there has been really a pattern to be afraid of anyone.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #7
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81206 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Honestly, I don't like trading down in this draft...Maybe the Texans have evaluated the players and feel their isn't much difference between the ones they covet later in the first round...

But I just don't like the idea of dropping down and picking up the best guy that falls to us...Unless of course they think that some of the guys slated to go later are actually better than some of the guys that will be available where they are at...

But just trading down and picking up the best guy that falls to you seems like FAIL. Especially when we are in need of differnce makers.

Not knowing how free agency is going to go, I would like to be more aggressive in the draft. If we are counting on a late first round pick, and a couple second rounders tho come in and play prominent roles I don't think we will be successful anyways. Those seem like great moves for the future, but we need to win immediately.
If it was the 18th and the 33, then it might be worth it.

Trading down to the 28th essentially removes the Texans from a shot at the elite players
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-26-2011   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

this proves to me that the Texans have been serious about trading with Dallas and perhaps the only smoke screen is the players they have interest in.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #9
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

When 2 teams that are great on draft day want to make a deal, I hang up.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This. 1000 times this.
Old 04-26-2011   #12
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59303 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Why is that??

Michael Griffin has been a great player.

Aaron Ross has been a pretty good player.

Quentin Jammer has been one of the best CB's in the league I'd say for the most part of the decade.

Quentin griffin who was a 3rd round pick has been a servicable starter.

Nathan Vasher was pretty good for a few years, but I'm not sure what happened to him now.

On the other side............

Michael Huff has been a total bust for the most part

I don't know what Tarrell Brown is doing, but he might be starting for all I know.

So, you take into account that Michael Griffin and Jammer have been pretty outstanding and then a few others have been pretty nice starters I don't see what is to be afraid of really. Sure there have been some of those guys that didn't measure up, but I don't think there has been really a pattern to be afraid of anyone.
You gotta remember, we're talking about Smithiak here, not a GM and HC with an eye for talent.
They could screw up a one car parade on draft day or game day.
Old 04-26-2011   #13
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

#11 is worth more than #28 and #33. I would take #17 and #33 though.

Unless Quinn is there at #11 or unless they are in love with Julio Jones at #11, I would like a trade down. They seem in love with Aldon Smith, but I don't want him at #11. We need guys with lean and speed, not another bullrusher at #11. He just smells like a JAG. Just another guy.

Quinn is special but has risks. They may have been burned by Cushing re:risks, so maybe they pass on him if available. I dunno. Getting more and more excited for this draft though.
Old 04-26-2011   #14
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Value charting for trades 1st-4th round:

Houston picks (number - points):
#11 - 1250
#42 - 480
#73 - 225
#105 - 84
Total points: 2039

Patriots picks:
#17 - 950
#28 - 660
#33 - 580
#60 - 300
#74 - 220
#92 - 132
#125 - 47
Total points: 2889

-----------------------------

Trade 1 - Big swap:
If you were to take out the #17 pick, you would have 1939 points for the rest of the Patriots picks up to #125, then trade all of the Houston 1-4 picks (2039) and you're losing 100 points in perceived value, but picking up 6 players in the top 125 instead of 4. I doubt NE would go for that, but why not ask? We need more depth, and the 2-4th rounds offers a lot of solid backups and potential starters 1-3 years from now. Might be able to swap the Texans 6th for their 5th as well, but I'm willing to leave those points out there if we can get some extra picks in the process.

Trade 2 - Get a 1st and two 3rds:
Trade the 11th pick and a 5th (1287 points) for the Patriots #17, 74 and 92 picks - total of 1302. We get the better value of this trade by a small margin, but we come out with another 3rd in the process. The Pats can get the DE or OT they are looking for, and the Texans may be able to grab a good OLB at 17. Use the two 3rd round picks to help bolster whatever positions that have not been addressed at this point. Probably WR, S and NT.

Trade 3 - get a 1st/2nd/3rd:
Houston trades 11 & 42 (1730 points) for the Patriots #17, 33 and 74 picks (1750 points). Getting an extra 3rd is important, because we need to fill holes. Moving up to the top of the second round means we will have our pick of the litter on day 2, or more importantly, may have other teams calling about X player who fell out of the 1st round. It gives us a special opportunity to trade down again in the second and pick up another 3rd in the process. Of course this would take some shrewd GM work, but if it happened, it may save Rick Smith's job.
Old 04-26-2011   #15
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

it is nice that it looks like teams are looking to move up into our range. i just worry about the current regime mortgaging draft futures, without worrying about the repercussions. after all, if this year sucks they will be gone and it would retard the development of the next regime.

just stay at #11 or trade down. no Ricky Williams type deals to move up. I love Ditka but that was a blunder..almost as bad a blunder as hiring MasterP to be your sports agent.
Old 04-26-2011   #16
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
You gotta remember, we're talking about Smithiak here, not a GM and HC with an eye for talent.
They could screw up a one car parade on draft day or game day.
Personally I don't see the Texans ever taking one of the UT stud DB's in the first round ever. They had a shot at Michael Griffin and passed him right up when we desperately needed a safety. I don't think that Earl Thomas was even on their radar.
Old 04-26-2011   #17
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not only do you hang up, right after that you draft the player they are after.

Also why every year does everyone want to trade down? I sort of agree with Rey, the Texans need a impact player on defense. Trading down lowers our chances of doing that.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #18
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
Not only do you hang up, right after that you draft the player they are after.

Also why every year does everyone want to trade down? I sort of agree with Rey, the Texans need a impact player on defense. Trading down lowers our chances of doing that.
I think it's gonna be tough to find an impact player at 11 unless a Quinn or Julio drop. If they can still get their guy, like Aldon Smith, at 23 why not trade down?

There is a logic to not trading with Belichik but as long as it's for their earlier 1stRder, I would take the call and at least listen.
Old 04-26-2011   #19
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
I think it's gonna be tough to find an impact player at 11 unless a Quinn or Julio drop. If they can still get their guy, like Aldon Smith, at 23 why not trade down?
I don't know about trading up. I agree with you that I'd hate to lose picks for next year's draft. I don't think trading up is worth losing a 1st rounder for next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
There is a logic to not trading with Belichik but as long as it's for their earlier 1stRder, I would take the call and at least listen.
Do you honestly want Rick Smith anywhere near a negotiation with Bill Billicheck on draft picks? That would be like taking candy from a baby for Bill Billicheck. Hells no.
Old 04-26-2011   #20
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I don't know about trading up. I agree with you that I'd hate to lose picks for next year's draft. I don't think trading up is worth losing a 1st rounder for next year.

Do you honestly want Rick Smith anywhere near a negotiation with Bill Billicheck on draft picks? That would be like taking candy from a baby for Bill Billicheck. Hells no.
Last year Houston traded the 62nd pick (Brandon Spikes) and 150th (5th round - Zoltan Mesko) to New England for the 58th pick (Ben Tate).

Not a great deal, but I think there was at least one other team vying for Tate after Gerhart went off the board.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read