Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-24-2011   #1
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans not building a championship team

This fits right in with what a lot of y'all say. Seems to be some truth to it. Enjoy the read.

http://houston.sbnation.com/houston-...nt-building-to
Old 04-24-2011   #2
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 246198 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans not building a championship team

Thanks for the great read! It should be required reading for all MB members.

Would rep but must spread.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 122990 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

while I agree with the article it basically it sounds like we should trade everyone worth value and start over
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011   #4
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Great article from Chris. Sadly, I agree with just about everything in that article.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 246198 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

This aspect is going to be a major so far minimized factor as to where our D goes.

Quote:
On the field, the Texans simply aren't physical enough. We may be in for a bit of a sea change there on the defensive side, as stated previously because of Wade Phillips. However, his alleged confidence in Shaun Cody as a nose tackle in his 3-4 is a bad sign, if you ask me. I'm hoping that's still a smokescreen, and that the Texans are going to go after a road-grader at the NT position in the draft or free agency.

People like John McClain would counter that with "Wade likes undersized tackles like Jay Ratliff, he doesn't want a wide body!" My response to that is simple. The Cowboys also have DeMarcus Ware. Do the Texans have anyone even remotely approaching the outer rings of the universe of DeMarcus Ware as a rush linebacker? No, they do not. Not even close.
Old 04-24-2011   #6
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
while I agree with the article it basically it sounds like we should trade everyone worth value and start over
I didn't take that away from the article at all. Adding a few firebreathers and slobberknockerers to the mix can fire up the entire D, if not the team.
Old 04-24-2011   #7
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

That article could be written about alot of teams in the NFL.

"Baby steps don't cut it in the NFL. - maybe they COULD make the playoffs next year with a more physical defense and more consistent offense. But then what? Another season goes by. Maybe another wild card. Then another."

Even the Chargers could fall under this umbrella.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-24-2011   #8
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

On the flip side look at teams like the Redskins, it seems every year they spend huge $$$, add players despite character issues and it's gotten them no where.

Our philosophy isn't wrong we've just made poor personnel/ assistant coach choices. Hopefully Wade will help and this draft will turn out well and we'll be heading in the right direction. As far as FA goes I would say most of the top teams in the league are conservative: Steelers, Colts, Pats, Ravens. Of the top teams only the Jets have been aggressive.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011   #9
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
This aspect is going to be a major so far minimized factor as to where our D goes.
We definitely need a stud OLB to make this D run as it should, personally I'd draft 2 as insurance for Barwin. I do take exception to the article's assertion that we have no one close to D Ware. I think he's not giving Mario proper respect. I know Mario is playing as a DE, but I'd wager he'll still register double digit sacks provided he's healthy.
Old 04-24-2011   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
We definitely need a stud OLB to make this D run as it should, personally I'd draft 2 as insurance for Barwin. I do take exception to the article's assertion that we have no one close to D Ware. I think he's not giving Mario proper respect. I know Mario is playing as a DE, but I'd wager he'll still register double digit sacks provided he's healthy.
Having a DOMINANT (not just adequate) NT would give Mario a heck of a boost in his potential.
Old 04-24-2011   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
On the flip side look at teams like the Redskins, it seems every year they spend huge $$$, add players despite character issues and it's gotten them no where.

Our philosophy isn't wrong we've just made poor personnel/ assistant coach choices. Hopefully Wade will help and this draft will turn out well and we'll be heading in the right direction. As far as FA goes I would say most of the top teams in the league are conservative: Steelers, Colts, Pats, Ravens. Of the top teams only the Jets have been aggressive.
The Redskins may not be the best example in that they have had an owner who made so many dumb choices on all levels while spending like a

I certainly agree that better personel/assistant coach choices are important from here on out with the Texans, and hopefully Wade, given loose reigns, will come up with distinctly better ones.

As for the other teams mentioned, for quite a while, they have been in a "maintainance" mode, rather than a perpetual building mode like the Texans. They don't need to be making spectacular moves. And they have a little more time to develop lesser personel up to the front lines.
Old 04-24-2011   #12
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 95025 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It was a good article, but I can't completely buy the lack-of-physicality criticism for the defense. Should we consider Mario, Antonio Smith, Cushing, DeMeco, and (up until now) Pollard lacking in physical imposition? The problem was coaching, as exemplified by how none of our defensive players except Mario have improved from their rookie season.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011   #13
otisbean
All Pro

Quote:
The Redskins may not be the best example in that they have had an owner who made so many dumb choices on all levels while spending like a

I certainly agree that better personel/assistant coach choices are important from here on out with the Texans, and hopefully Wade, given loose reigns, will come up with distinctly better ones.

As for the other teams mentioned, for quite a while, they have been in a "maintainance" mode, rather than a perpetual building mode like the Texans. They don't need to be making spectacular moves. And they have a little more time to develop lesser personel up to the front lines.
I agree about maintenance mode to an extent, I would just point out that most, if not all of their studs were acquired through the draft, which is our plan. Now, if we could kidnap one of their GMs... Lol

I do think, now more than ever we need to be aggressive in FA. In the past I thought we'd have to waaay overpay to get a top level guy. Now, with Wade coming in and a track record of top level offensive play I think we are a more attractive destination, at least that's my hope
Old 04-24-2011   #14
otisbean
All Pro

Quote:
Having a DOMINANT (not just adequate) NT would give Mario a heck of a boost in his potential.
Agreed, I'd love to add Dareus in the first rd. He could be a beast of an NT. Too expensive to trade though...
Old 04-24-2011   #15
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 51073 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I don't really agree that the team hasn't ever been ever been tough enough but agree to extent.
Old 04-24-2011   #16
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217952 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Not resigning Vonta Leach because they are cheap = Not building a championship roster. They need a half dozen more guy's like him ..... not less.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011   #17
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 51073 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

They are just built to make the playoffs and that's all but so far they have not even done that.
Old 04-24-2011   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Teams that are good are agressive.

Steelers-trade up for TP, Trade back getting more picks and Hampton.
Packers-Trade up for Matthews, Sign Woodson in FA
Saints-Sign Brees,Shraper,Shanle,Hargrove etc... in FA
Jets - Too many moves to talk about
Ravens-Trade up for Flacco,trade for Boldin,Wilson,Sign Stallworth in FA, Trade down for Cody/Kindle
Falcons-Sign Dunta/Turner/Peterson in FA, Trade for Gonzalez
Bears Sign Peppers in FA, Trade for Cutler

Not all of these moves worked out for these teams. But they were being agressive.

The Texans on the otherhand sit on their hands while Rome burns
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011   #19
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Teams that are good are agressive.

Steelers-trade up for TP, Trade back getting more picks and Hampton.
Packers-Trade up for Matthews, Sign Woodson in FA
Saints-Sign Brees,Shraper,Shanle,Hargrove etc... in FA
Jets - Too many moves to talk about
Ravens-Trade up for Flacco,trade for Boldin,Wilson,Sign Stallworth in FA, Trade down for Cody/Kindle
Falcons-Sign Dunta/Turner/Peterson in FA, Trade for Gonzalez
Bears Sign Peppers in FA, Trade for Cutler

Not all of these moves worked out for these teams. But they were being agressive.

The Texans on the otherhand sit on their hands while Rome burns
Most of these moves have worked out quite nicely.
Old 04-24-2011   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I get a lot of what the article is saying....The Texans aren't aggressive enough, they aren't physical enough and they aren't tough enough mentally or physically...I agree with all of that...

But I think that the first step for this team is to get into the play-offs...They need to get that monkey off of their back...

I look at a team like Arizona, and they weren't really classified as physical...But they went all the way to the superbowl and they played a pretty good game against the Steelers...The Colts aren't really all that physical.....But they have a killer instinct...

I think that stuff comes with confidence. The Texans don't have that type of confidence.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read