Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-21-2011   #1
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default SO as of now

IS this how our 3-4 would look like at the local YMCA today for starters

DE-A. SMITH
NT-Shaun cody
DE-Mario williams

OLB-Conar Barwin
ILB-Demco
ILB-Cushing/Sharpton/Diles/Adibi
OLB-Jamison/Anderson/Cushing

CB- Jackson
CB-Allen/GQ
FS-Troy Nolan
SS-GQ/Barber
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #2
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: SO has of now

I'd put Anderson ahead of Jamison at WOLB, but other than that you nailed it. Scary ain't it.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011   #3
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not too worried... we still have the draft and free agency to add some bodies. If it was the pre-season, and this was our roster, then that's another story.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011   #4
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah post draft and F/A it might look something like this

DE-Draft player/Free agency
NT-Draft player/Free agency
DE-Mario williams

OLB-Conar Barwin
ILB-Demco
ILB-Cushing/Sharpton/Draft player
OLB-Draft player/Cushing

CB- Jackson/Free agency(hopefully ASO)
CB-Draft player/Allen
FS-Troy Nolan
SS-GQ

We might be really weak at FS and SS this year teams will try to beat us up the middle by throwing Deep Bombs in the middle instead of the Sides

Remember how pollard couldnt cover TE to save his life
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 145116 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quin would be moved to FS (not SS) if a CB is found in FA or draft. Nolan would be in the mix at SS if that occurs.
Old 04-22-2011   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Quin would be moved to FS (not SS) if a CB is found in FA or draft. Nolan would be in the mix at SS if that occurs.
That's my belief as well.

DE: Antonio Smith and Mario Williams as starters.
NT: Shaun Cody starting but Earl Mitchell should see plenty of snaps.
OLB: Connor Barwin and Mark Anderson would be starting in my opinion. I'd probably have Anderson on the weakside b/c I trust Barwin more in the strongside responsibilities.
MLB: Demeco Ryans and Brian Cushing.
CB: Kareem Jackson and Glover Quin
S: Troy Nolan and Dom Barber/Quintin Demps

Quin will likely move to FS when a FA CB is signed, Allen stays our 3rd corner. We'll draft an OLB that will push Anderson back to situational passrusher. Could draft a Safety in the 2nd or 3rd that will end up beating out Nolan at SS. I'm also interested to see what Quintin Demps can do, I was high on him coming out of the draft a few years ago.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011   #7
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

DE and ILB will be the strength of our defense as of right now. NT, OLB and Secondary are the question marks. I think the secondary can turn into a strength with Free agency and OLB will be improved in the draft.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-24-2011   #8
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I think this is how it will play out. I do think Quin has the skill set to play SS as well though. If we were able to grab a FS and a CB I wouldn't be surprised to see him there. He's not a big hitter, but he's a solid tackler and it would dramatically improve our coverage.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011   #9
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
DE and ILB will be the strength of our defense as of right now. NT, OLB and Secondary are the question marks. I think the secondary can turn into a strength with Free agency and OLB will be improved in the draft.
Not a chance man. Sure the starters look good at those positions (ILB and DE) but we have no depth. The Texans need help across the board on the defensive side on the field.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011   #10
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Not a chance man. Sure the starters look good at those positions (ILB and DE) but we have no depth. The Texans need help across the board on the defensive side on the field.
Yes we need help, but that doesn't mean DE and ILB won't be our strength or that 2 CB pickups in free agency won't turn our secondary into something good.
Old 04-24-2011   #11
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Pretty sure if we were unable to add an OLB through the draft and FA, Cushing would be an OLB.
Old 04-25-2011   #12
IBleedTexans
Superbowl Bound

Rep Power: 3223 IBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Pretty sure if we were unable to add an OLB through the draft and FA, Cushing would be an OLB.
Can someone please explain to me why Cushing isn't the best fit for olb. When we first got wade I thought it was a match made in heaven with brian and wade.
IBleedTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011   #13
wolf123
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearSuperMario View Post
Can someone please explain to me why Cushing isn't the best fit for olb. When we first got wade I thought it was a match made in heaven with brian and wade.
Brian lacks elite athletism and doesn't have the arrary of pass rush moves needed. He's purely a bull rusher. I expect him to have a great season blitzing from the middle this year.
Old 04-25-2011   #14
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 76476 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Brian lacks elite athletism and doesn't have the arrary of pass rush moves needed. He's purely a bull rusher. I expect him to have a great season blitzing from the middle this year.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011   #15
IBleedTexans
Superbowl Bound

Rep Power: 3223 IBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanx but you said he only has a bull rush. doesn't Mario pretty much only use his bull rush. It seems to work fine for him
IBleedTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Quinn will be the starting FS in the upcoming season...

If you get rid of both of your starting safeties, you had to have either thunk they sucked to high hell or that you had capable replacements on the roster...

Probably a combo of both...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011   #17
wolf123
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearSuperMario View Post
Thanx but you said he only has a bull rush. doesn't Mario pretty much only use his bull rush. It seems to work fine for him
Mario is a much more complete pass rusher. He knows how to set up the tackle and has really improved his hand fighting. He will use rip and swim moves. Watch the Jets game, he uses an excellent swim move to get over the TE and get the tackle for loss.
Old 04-25-2011   #18
wolf123
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think Quinn will be the starting FS in the upcoming season...

If you get rid of both of your starting safeties, you had to have either thunk they sucked to high hell or that you had capable replacements on the roster...

Probably a combo of both...
I think they are really hoping to be in a position to put Quinn at FS.
Old 04-26-2011   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I'd have to question the starters at ILB , who knows what Demeco Ryans will look like post injury and Cushing playing inside ? There are a lot of questionmarks at ILB.

DE looks good on paper , but how is MW going to make the transition to the 34 DE spot ? He's been knicked up the past two seasons , whens the last time he was 100% ?

Even in the 43 MW wasnt the disruptive force we expect him to be on an every down basis.

Right now , I dont know if I could say with a straight face that they have a strong position on the defensive side of the ball.

Quote:
Yes we need help, but that doesn't mean DE and ILB won't be our strength or that 2 CB pickups in free agency won't turn our secondary into something good.
They could sign both Namdi & Taylor and that secondary could still be a disaster .... without some help at both S spots , and Im not sold on Quinn making that move.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #20
wolf123
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I'd have to question the starters at ILB , who knows what Demeco Ryans will look like post injury and Cushing playing inside ? There are a lot of questionmarks at ILB.

DE looks good on paper , but how is MW going to make the transition to the 34 DE spot ? He's been knicked up the past two seasons , whens the last time he was 100% ?

Even in the 43 MW wasnt the disruptive force we expect him to be on an every down basis.

Right now , I dont know if I could say with a straight face that they have a strong position on the defensive side of the ball.

They could sign both Namdi & Taylor and that secondary could still be a disaster .... without some help at both S spots , and Im not sold on Quinn making that move.
With change there will always be question marks. Do the texans have question marks at ever position? Yes, they do. But they also have quality players at key positions as well.

No one know for sure how these players will adapt to the change. But one thing is certain. They can't be worse then last year. I choose to believe the best in our players and our coaching staff.

DL-I like mario and smith as DE
LB- I like ryans and cushing there as well, Big fan of barwin as well
Secondary- THink quinn makes an excellent FS.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read