Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-21-2011   #1
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I would not be displeased if these persons were drafted by the Texans.....

So I am not going to mock a mock, but I will list some players I would like to see get drafted. No consideration has been given to round etc, I just want them on our team.

QB: Tyrod Taylor, West Virginia
- If we can get him late to develop I would feel comfortable about the future of the QB position.

RB: Taiwan Jones, Eastern Washington
Noel Devine, West Virginia
- Both of these guys are because I'm always looking for another X-factor on offense.

WR: Julio Jones, Alabama
Vincent Brown, San Diego State
Dane Sanzenbacher, Ohio State
- Jones is there because I would love another real, reliable weapon in the passing game. Brown and Sanzenbacher are there because I really like there move the chains ability.

OL: I am sure there are some good prospects, I haven't looked at them too closely. I would never complain about strengthening our lines.

DT: Marcell Dareus, Alabama
Stephen Paea, Oregon State
Lawrence Guy, Arizona State
- Dareus would be my most awesome outcome ever, not going to happen though. I really like the ceilings on Paea and Guy, both great athletes and ca bring the disruption up the middle. (I am not a huge fan of big fatties)

DE: JJ Watt, Wisconsin
Cameron Jordan, UCLA
- Keep on coming back to be tempted by Watt @11. Jordan has a pretty high ceiling, always tempting especially when he won't have to be 'the man' immediately.

OLB: Robert Quin, North Carolina
Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue
Aldon Smith, Iowa
Sam Acho, Texas
Thomas Keiser, Stanford
- Quin could be a very special athlete off the edge. Smith could be too. Kerrigan is a great prospect, proven and full of ability. Acho just oozes smooth power off the edge, probably my favourite of the bunch in the 2nd/3rd. Keiser is a prospect I would love to see us take a punt on late.

ILB: Greg Jones, Michingan State
Jeremy Beal, Oklahoma
Mario Harvey, Marshall
- All these guys are football players, pure and simple. Can't have too many of those.

CB: No particular favourite prospects, really think safety is the bigger need.

FS: Mistral Raymond, South Florida
Eric Hagg, Nebraska
- Two later round prospects that I like. Raymond has good potential, Hagg is a real football player.

SS: Dejon Gomes, Nebraska
- Another football player. Yes, I have a Nebraska bias, deal with it.

K: Adi Kunalic, Nebraska
- Dude has a seriously strong leg, can really boom the ball on kickoffs.

There you are, if we get some or any of these guys I will be a very happy fan.

I really think we need to pick up 2 OLB, 1 ILB, 1 DT, and 2 DB in this draft.
Old 04-21-2011   #2
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I would not be displeased if these persons were drafted by the Texans.....

Tyrod Taylor doesnt strike me as the.... sharpest tool in the shed. Probably a waste of a pick.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #3
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I would not be displeased if these persons were drafted by the Texans.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Tyrod Taylor doesnt strike me as the.... sharpest tool in the shed. Probably a waste of a pick.
I'm not his only fan on the board.

I think he has shown steady development as a passer through his career and has great mobility while keeping his eyes locked downfield.

Given some time I think he can be a playmaker at QB.

I like him more than some like Johnson from A&M I have seen people proposing.
Old 04-21-2011   #4
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Marcel Dareus DT Alabama
The only player I would trade up for.

Marvin Austin DT North Carolina
Phil Taylor DT Baylor
Kenrick Ellis DT Hampton
Jerrell Powe DT Mississippi
Jarvis Jenkins DT Clemson
Sione Fua NT Stanford

J.J. Watt DE Wisconsin
Besides Darius, safest player in this draft.
Cameron Jordan DE California
Corey Liuget DE Illinois
Nick Fairley DE Auburn
Muhammad Wilkerson DE Temple
Cameron Heyward DE Ohio State
Stephen Paea DE Oregon State
Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa

Ryan Kerrigan OLB Purdue
Doesnt get enough credit as an athlete. 3rd safest player in the draft.
Robert Quinn OLB North Carolina
Brooks Reed OLB Arizona
Martez Wilson OLB Illinois
Would draft him to play rush LB
Justin Houston OLB/ILB Georgia
Aldon Smith OLB Missouri
Sam Acho OLB Texas
Bruce Carter OLB North Carolina)
Allen Bailey OLB Miami
Greg Romeus OLB Pittsburgh
Jabaal Sheard OLB Pittsburgh
Brian Rolle OLB Ohio State
Dontay Moch OLB Nevada

Aaron Williams CB Texas (FS)
Davon House CB New Mexico State
Chris Culliver CB South Carolina
Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia
Brandon Harris CB Miami
Chykie Brown CB Texas
Curtis Brown CB Texas

Robert Sands S West Virginia
Deunta Williams S North Carolina (X)
Marcus Gilchrest S Clemson (S)
Quinton Carter S Oklahoma
Ahmad Black S/N Florida

Greg Jones ILB Michigan State
Colin McCarthy ILB Miami
Quan Sturdivant ILB North Carolina
Mason Foster ILB Washington
Casey Matthews ILB Oregon
Mark Herzlich ILB Boston College (X)
Ross Homan ILB Ohio State
Old 04-22-2011   #5
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92860 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

DE/OLB
Da'Quan Bowers (if he can make the transition)
Donte Moch
Greg Romeus
Brooks Reed
Anyone not named Aldon Smith

DE/NT
Nick Fairley
Kenrick Ellis
Stephen Paea

WR
Julio Jones
Leonard Hankerson
Greg Little

KR
Noel Divine

FB
Stanley Havili
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011   #6
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Both Kerrigan and Reed look like the type of players that Smithiak looks for. I'm not exactly sure what Wade looks for in a player though. I will not be surprised to see one of those two at #11.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
Both Kerrigan and Reed look like the type of players that Smithiak looks for. I'm not exactly sure what Wade looks for in a player though. I will not be surprised to see one of those two at #11.
DeMarcus Ware type = Aldon Smith

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-22-2011   #8
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92860 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Everything I have heard about Aldon Smith points alot more toward Aaron Maybin than D. Ware

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...orical/1117617
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1630791
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011   #9
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just dont see that. Smith looks almost lumbering (for lack of better word) compared to what Ware looked like coming out. Ware was very fluid and smooth. I would take Kerrigan over Smith without hesitation.
Old 04-23-2011   #10
nytexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 1436 nytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Without moving up or down here are my hopefuls per round
1st Round
R. Quinn OLB
A. Smith OLB
Prince (but I'd rather go free agency here) CB

2nd Round
S. Paea NT/DT
B. Reed OLB
hoping J.Smith or B.Harris or A.Williams drop here CB/S

3rd Round
R. Dowling CB possible big upside
J. Jenkins NT/DT if we haven't taken a fat yet
D. House CB/FS
J. Jarrett SS immediate specials team player

4th Round
S. Wisniewski C has pedigree and good in zone blocking
M. Gilchrist S
C. Brown CB
nytexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011   #11
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 8094 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
QB: Tyrod Taylor, West Virginia
Virginia Tech*

For the people interested, I've watched every game Tyrod has played and these are two compilations. He had absolutely no Offensive Line yesterday and the offensive coordinator is one of the worst in the country. Our game plan last consisted of sending all our receivers deep and having Tyrod scrambling to see if he could do something crazy. No safety valves whatsoever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAoYbtsQXEU

This was his Freshman/Sophmore's Seasons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGNfN...eature=related

This was his Junior/Senior years.

I think he is the best QB for the later round picks to develop as we could use him in kubiak's bootleg favored offense. He has a cannon and always has a knack for looking down field when scrambling. The offense he ran was fairly pro style. They hardly ran screens, short passes it was mostly 3 Wr's sets with a RB and TONS of play action (sound familiar?).

When your first string quarterback goes down, I feel that is usually better to have a mobile QB for a backup rather than a pocket passer for obvious reasons. It brings a different dimension for teams to gameplan against. Joe Webb, Tim Tebow both stepped in their rookie season when the first QB went down and helped the teams win with their legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post

Don't knock him till you watch tape. Most people just stereotype how he plays when in reality it is very different. ACC hardly gets covered so most people have never truly seen his game.He willed us to so many victories, especially last season.

Last edited by VTexan; 04-23-2011 at 07:23 PM.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011   #12
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
Virginia Tech*

Tech sorry.

Will be interesting to see where he ends up going.
Old 04-24-2011   #13
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I really don't understand this line of thinking..

Not specifically about your comparison here, but it seems that folks are always trying to compare players coming out to other players instead of looking at what they bring to the table as an individual...

How often do guys come out and live up to the status of the player that folks compare them to?

Normally talented players break the mold...They normally have their own style or they may do a combination of things that other great players used to do, but at the end of the day they are not really comparable in regards to style of play...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I really don't understand this line of thinking..

Not specifically about your comparison here, but it seems that folks are always trying to compare players coming out to other players instead of looking at what they bring to the table as an individual...

How often do guys come out and live up to the status of the player that folks compare them to?

Normally talented players break the mold...They normally have their own style or they may do a combination of things that other great players used to do, but at the end of the day they are not really comparable in regards to style of play...
you should probably avoid the mock draft section & stick to the main boards then

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-24-2011   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
you should probably avoid the mock draft section & stick to the main boards then
Wasn't meant to be a dig at you. Was just making a a general observation.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Wasn't meant to be a dig at you. Was just making a a general observation.
nor I, just a fact of draft evaluation, prospects have comps, per nature of the beast

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-24-2011   #17
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
DE/OLB
Da'Quan Bowers (if he can make the transition)Donte Moch
Greg Romeus
Brooks Reed
Anyone not named Aldon Smith
DE/NT
Nick Fairley
Kenrick Ellis
Stephen Paea

WR
Julio Jones
Leonard Hankerson
Greg Little

KR
Noel Divine

FB
Stanley Havili
transition to what? 3-4 olb or 3-4 de. all the expert say bowers is a relentless power rusher (who has only had 1 good yr).. few has him pegged as a 3-4 player. so add that translation risk to the huge medical risk associated with him id be pretty pissed if we took him at #11

also how come every yr you seem to be totally anti a guy alot of mockers have us taking? do you like ranting on draft day?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011   #18
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

also

DE/olb (on preference):

robert quinn (#11)
chris carter (2nd/3rd rd)
aldon smith (#11)
brooks reed (trade down/ 2nd)
greg romeus (2nd/3rd)

only if quinn & smith are gone @ #11, would i look elsewhere position wise and i wouldnt not like any (defensive) player there unless it was a totallly off the wall pick
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011   #19
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I haven't heard that from anyone but you. Maybe you have more sources than me.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I haven't heard that from anyone but you. Maybe you have more sources than me.

Are you people wanting me to provide you own personal draft coverge? if so I will have to charge a fee

John McClain does a blog every Tuesday http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2011/04/j...chat_at_1.html worth checking out or just asking him a question yourself -
Quote:
John McClain: I prefer to listen to warren Sapp, who played the game. He called Smith "a DeMarcus Ware type in two years." Sapp said Smith needs experience because he's raw, but he's a hard worker who can help right away as a pass rusher. The fact Smith played hurt last season impresses the scouts. The truth is, nobody knows.

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read