Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-19-2011   #21
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mark Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ View Post
It's been awhile since I've been on with 5 kids, two blogs and a radio show pulling at my time but I'm going to try and get back on here to get my Texans fix - you know - until we officially don't have any camps or pre-season games.

I was thinking about Mark Anderson the other day and how he would fit into the 3-4 as an OLB and the more I thought about what I saw from him in Chicago and what I saw from him with the Texans, the more I am liking the possibility of him being a very good rotation player or even a stop-gap starter that would allow the Texans to work a draft pick in at OLB or even allow the Texans to draft another position of need in the first round.
Welcome back slacker.

I think that Mark Anderson is a real option at OLB. If I recall correctly, he was projected as a tweener back in the 06 draft. Also, he is almost a Connor Barwin clone on his measurables. They are both listed at 6'4 254 similar times on drills etc....

and he knows how to get to the QB.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #22
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's been awhile since I've been on with 5 kids, two blogs and a radio show pulling at my time but I'm going to try and get back on here to get my Texans fix - you know - until we officially don't have any camps or pre-season games.

I was thinking about Mark Anderson the other day and how he would fit into the 3-4 as an OLB and the more I thought about what I saw from him in Chicago and what I saw from him with the Texans, the more I am liking the possibility of him being a very good rotation player or even a stop-gap starter that would allow the Texans to work a draft pick in at OLB or even allow the Texans to draft another position of need in the first round.

The Texans need OLB regardless and I've heard that they are high on Aldon Smith from Missouri (while not being too crazy about Amukamara at CB) so they are going to add to their OLB corps. With that said, I actually think Anderson is going to end up being decent in the 3-4 and should be a lock to make the team.
I know you disagree with me, but I'm actually more hopeful that Tim Jamison makes the successful transition and can make an impact at OLB. It would be foolish to argue that Anderson won't make the roster, though, given the lack of depth (to say the least) at the OLB position.
Old 04-19-2011   #23
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I know you disagree with me, but I'm actually more hopeful that Tim Jamison makes the successful transition and can make an impact at OLB. It would be foolish to argue that Anderson won't make the roster, though, given the lack of depth (to say the least) at the OLB position.
No? Really?
Old 04-19-2011   #24
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Unproven guys in the 3-4 >>>>>>> Proven un-guys in the 4-3

Mike
I agree, that is why I would be ok with having Barwin, Anderson and Aldon Smith (or whoever we draft) as our guys at the OLB positions.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #25
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd been interested to see if some X's and O's guys on here view the Texans gamefilm from the last couple seasons. There's been intances where we've played in 3-4 alignments... just not to the degree that it's our base defense. It's not like these guys have ZERO experience in 3-4 fronts.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #26
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Do you realize that the total snaps played as 3-4 OLBs between all 3 of those guys is 0 ?
That's not true, JBkr.
Anderson, Barwin, and Aldon Smith all had seen time as 3-4 OLB.

Barwin and Anderson certainly can play as well at OLB in the 3-4 as they do at DE in the 4-3.

Aldon Smith, I haven't seen enough of him play standing up so I can't be sure how well he can play as OLB.
But he did play standing up some for Mizzou.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #27
JimBaker488
Veteran

Rep Power: 106 JimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
That's not true, JBkr.
Anderson, Barwin, and Aldon Smith all had seen time as 3-4 OLB.

Barwin and Anderson certainly can play as well at OLB in the 3-4 as they do at DE in the 4-3.

OK, maybe they've got some limited, very limited experience as LBs ?
But to say they can play as well standing up as hand down on the los, no way.
Not unless Anderson had some experience at that position in Chicago, and it's my recollection that he was a DE in the 4-3 his time there ?
I know a lot of Chiefs fans who follow MU and while they liked Smith, they have reservations about him in a 3-4 ? They qustion his lateral movement and lack of fluidity in hip-movement ?
And even without Barwins horrible injury last year, I personally got a lot of questions about him playing as a 3-4 backer ? Maybe he'll be OK (if he recovers), but no one knows yet until we can get him out there and see how he does ?
JimBaker488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-19-2011   #28
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The Texans need OLB regardless and I've heard that they are high on Aldon Smith from Missouri (while not being too crazy about Amukamara at CB) so they are going to add to their OLB corps. With that said, I actually think Anderson is going to end up being decent in the 3-4 and should be a lock to make the team.

Thank You for confirming the same thing I've been saying for a month regarding Mark Anderson. He's not perfect but he's got the size, speed, and pass rushing experience to play WOLB in a 3-4 system. He might not be perfect but he could hold it down long enough for us to concentrate on filling other gaping holes on defense.

As for Aldon Smith at OLB, HELL NO. I watched a bunch of video on him last night and he's got young inexperienced 4-3 DE wrote all over him. He's a great athlete but honestly he should have stayed in school another year to mature and bulk up and stick with 4-3 DE. He could have been a top 10 pick next year.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #29
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

heard LZ pumping julio jones at 11 on the horn today in austin, i say do it. keep the O running on all cylinders. why draft a project hybrid at 11?
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #30
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks for stopping by, LZ.

Smith and Quinn seem obvious fits for a Phillips 3-4 OLB. They have the size/speed he's looking for. With Barwin's injury, Cushing moving inside, and the questionable abilities of Anderson, Nading, and Jamison, OLB is almost as much of a certainty in the 1st as CB was in 2009, or LT was in 2008.

I wonder if it Wade or Rick Smith and crew who are down on Prince? If it's Phillips, ok. He knows what he wants as a CB. If it's Smith, then I'n unconvinced. I think Amukamara has gotten a bad rap by some draft experts. He's asked to be very aggressive and that's hurt occasionaly. But, the Huskers have had an outstanding pass defense the past couple of seasons, in a pretty good passing conference. And Amukamara has had something to do with that. I'd trade any 2 CBs on the Texans roster for him, right now.*

* No current players can be traded at this time.
Old 04-20-2011   #31
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

There's one huge problem with the Texans going OLB - the franchise is now in such flux with it anybodys guess who we have as our HC next year if Kubiak has another disappointing season, and therefor what kind of defense will we be running ? If we were to move up for a player, make it the very talented CB out of LSU, because Peterson can probably be an outstanding defensive back in a 3-4 or 4-3, and that's just not the case with a Von Miller who's top 10 value is only as a 3-4 OLB.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #32
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216706 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
There's one huge problem with the Texans going OLB - the franchise is now in such flux with it anybodys guess who we have as our HC next year if Kubiak has another disappointing season, and therefor what kind of defense will we be running ? If we were to move up for a player, make it the very talented CB out of LSU, because Peterson can probably be an outstanding defensive back in a 3-4 or 4-3, and that's just not the case with a Von Miller who's top 10 value is only as a 3-4 OLB.
Independent of what happens with Kubiak this year, short of a colossal collapse on the part of the D, expect Wade in whatever capacity (DC or HC) and his 3-4 to be retained.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #33
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Independent of what happens with Kubiak this year, short of a colossal collapse on the part of the D, expect Wade in whatever capacity (DC or HC) and his 3-4 to be retained.
But I can think of lots of scenarios where that won't happen. Maybe Kubiak/Texans do have a successful year and Wade leaves for greener pastures ? Or maybe Wades defense does collapse and he quickly becomes out of favor with the fans and the owner ? I don't think there's any guarantee
that this defense is a big success this coming year, or remains a 3-4 defense after 2011 ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #34
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Unproven guys in the 3-4 >>>>>>> Proven un-guys in the 4-3

Mike
This. Last year was so bad I would be willing to sit through anything that isn't that.
Old 04-21-2011   #35
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
OK, maybe they've got some limited, very limited experience as LBs ?
But to say they can play as well standing up as hand down on the los, no way.
Not unless Anderson had some experience at that position in Chicago, and it's my recollection that he was a DE in the 4-3 his time there ?
I know a lot of Chiefs fans who follow MU and while they liked Smith, they have reservations about him in a 3-4 ? They qustion his lateral movement and lack of fluidity in hip-movement ?
And even without Barwins horrible injury last year, I personally got a lot of questions about him playing as a 3-4 backer ? Maybe he'll be OK (if he recovers), but no one knows yet until we can get him out there and see how he does ?
It's true that we don't know how Barwin will recover from the injury.
I can only tell you what these guys have as far as experience as a 3-4 OLB.

1. Barwin played some OLB for us in his first game as a Texans, against the Jets.
That means he had 2 OTAs and pre-seasons, and one season plus of practice and a certain number of snaps.

2. Anderson, in his second game playing for us (against the Colts in week 8), registered his first sack as an OLB (Darn it; I just pulled up the game and I can't recall whether it was his first or second snap at OLB.)
It was with about 30 second to go in the first quarter.

3. Remember that in the 4-man front that the Texans used, may times the DE has the same responsibility of a 3-4 OLB; the only difference is hand on the ground or standing up.
On the other hand, Ware (and the other Cowboys OLBs) played with his hand on the ground for from time to time.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #36
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 80379 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans need OLB regardless and I've heard that they are high on Aldon Smith from Missouri (while not being too crazy about Amukamara at CB) so they are going to add to their OLB corps.
Man I really hope that is a smoke screen or some sort of obfuscation of their real intentions.
Old 04-21-2011   #37
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Man I really hope that is a smoke screen or some sort of obfuscation of their real intentions.
You and I both, bOng. And as I've stated prior, Quinn, according to the media, both talking heads and in print don't think he's that sure of a transition from a 4-3 DE to OLB. Guess we'll see?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #38
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for taking my post LZ. First time, long time.

What are you thoughts on Adibi finding a place in the rotation, outside of being able to stay on the field due to health reasons.
Old 04-21-2011   #39
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post

Add me to the list of people that hopes the talk of Aldon Smith is just a smoke screen. I'd rather reach for Justin Houston than take Smith at #11.
Old 04-21-2011   #40
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Thanks for taking my post LZ. First time, long time.

What are you thoughts on Adibi finding a place in the rotation, outside of being able to stay on the field due to health reasons.
I get the feeling that Adibi will be the first backup behind Connor Barwin at SOLB. Health permitting he should rotate in occasionally.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read