Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-19-2011   #1
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mark Anderson

It's been awhile since I've been on with 5 kids, two blogs and a radio show pulling at my time but I'm going to try and get back on here to get my Texans fix - you know - until we officially don't have any camps or pre-season games.

I was thinking about Mark Anderson the other day and how he would fit into the 3-4 as an OLB and the more I thought about what I saw from him in Chicago and what I saw from him with the Texans, the more I am liking the possibility of him being a very good rotation player or even a stop-gap starter that would allow the Texans to work a draft pick in at OLB or even allow the Texans to draft another position of need in the first round.

The Texans need OLB regardless and I've heard that they are high on Aldon Smith from Missouri (while not being too crazy about Amukamara at CB) so they are going to add to their OLB corps. With that said, I actually think Anderson is going to end up being decent in the 3-4 and should be a lock to make the team.
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #2
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Default Re: Mark Anderson

Lance-

Was it last year's draft that you basically got 9 out of 10 picks right? I can't remember.
Anyways, looking forward to your final mock draft.

I would also agree that Mark Anderson would transfer over to OLB in pass rushing, but would he be a liability in coverage?
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Anderson still signed with us? I thought he was free.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #4
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ View Post
The Texans need OLB regardless and I've heard that they are high on Aldon Smith from Missouri (while not being too crazy about at CB)make
Very interesting.
Given that they had "mixed" results from the CB they drafted last year with their top pick, I doubt they take another corner with their top pick 2 years in a row if they have reservations about Amukamara ?
But I was wondering how the Texans felt about Smith and it seems now we know since LZ has sources, as I understand it ?
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #5
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 47109 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's been awhile since I've been on with 5 kids, two blogs and a radio show pulling at my time but I'm going to try and get back on here to get my Texans fix - you know - until we officially don't have any camps or pre-season games.

I was thinking about Mark Anderson the other day and how he would fit into the 3-4 as an OLB and the more I thought about what I saw from him in Chicago and what I saw from him with the Texans, the more I am liking the possibility of him being a very good rotation player or even a stop-gap starter that would allow the Texans to work a draft pick in at OLB or even allow the Texans to draft another position of need in the first round.

The Texans need OLB regardless and I've heard that they are high on Aldon Smith from Missouri (while not being too crazy about Amukamara at CB) so they are going to add to their OLB corps. With that said, I actually think Anderson is going to end up being decent in the 3-4 and should be a lock to make the team.
I say with Smith's horrible job of drafting if he doesn't like a guy then that is our man.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually agree with your thoughts on Amukamara, or any 1st round CB for that matter. Personally, I would count on a free agent CB more than anything once a new CBA's in place. If not, our secondary might be just as bad as last year.

I can see Anderson making a smooth transition to OLB. However, we have way too many questions at the position to consider drafting much else. Barwin's coming off a huge injury. Nading? Jamison? Ha, no thanks.

The only possible way I could see us going with any other position in the 1st would be finding a way to snag Brooks Reed in the 2nd. Or Justin Houston. Odds are they'll both be gone somewhere between our 1st and 2nd pick
Old 04-19-2011   #7
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been wondering what he would be like in a 3-4 as well:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=18
Old 04-19-2011   #8
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Lance-

Was it last year's draft that you basically got 9 out of 10 picks right? I can't remember.
Anyways, looking forward to your final mock draft.

I would also agree that Mark Anderson would transfer over to OLB in pass rushing, but would he be a liability in coverage?
I think I had the first 7 in a row last year and 9 out of 10 the year before. The mock will be much tougher this year as things appear to be much more fluid. You are probably right about Anderson in coverage and maybe we would only see him on 3rd downs, but right now they simply don't have enough guys on the roster to not play him at OLB on 1st and 2nd downs.
Old 04-19-2011   #9
LZ
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I actually agree with your thoughts on Amukamara, or any 1st round CB for that matter. Personally, I would count on a free agent CB more than anything once a new CBA's in place. If not, our secondary might be just as bad as last year.

I can see Anderson making a smooth transition to OLB. However, we have way too many questions at the position to consider drafting much else. Barwin's coming off a huge injury. Nading? Jamison? Ha, no thanks.

The only possible way I could see us going with any other position in the 1st would be finding a way to snag Brooks Reed in the 2nd. Or Justin Houston. Odds are they'll both be gone somewhere between our 1st and 2nd pick
I would guess that Aldon Smith will be the pick in the 1st round and a CB/FS/NT/DE will be the 2nd and 3rd round pick.
Old 04-19-2011   #10
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would guess that Aldon Smith will be the pick in the 1st round and a CB/FS/NT/DE will be the 2nd and 3rd round pick.
So, any odds on the Texans moving up and taking a stab at P. Peterson if he falls out of the top 5?
Old 04-19-2011   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You mention DE here. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the possibility of Cameron Jordan or JJ Watt in the 1st round... and the impact they may have as a rookie if on the Texans.

In regards to an OLB and Mark Anderson, I can see them moving up to the line of scrimmage or close to it on passing downs and rushing the passer. I definitely think Anderson should have a spot on this team next year.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And I would be coo with that. I'd probably lean more towards NT, DE and FS in the 2nd. Love me some big nasties in the trenches, and again, I'm truly counting on a mid to top tier CB in FA.
Old 04-19-2011   #13
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88085 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by lz View Post
i would guess that aldon smith will be the pick in the 1st round and a cb/fs/nt/de will be the 2nd and 3rd round pick.
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #14
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

I think having Barwin and Anderson as our starters and picking Aldon Smith with the #11 would set us up pretty well going forward. Still a lot of ?s, but we would at least have some nice talent for Wade to groom.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #15
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to see them sign Bernard Pollard for 1-2 mill this year and use him a WLB. I think he would do just about as well as Anderson.
Old 04-19-2011   #16
JimBaker488
Veteran

Rep Power: 106 JimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
I think having Barwin and Anderson as our starters and picking Aldon Smith with the #11 would set us up pretty well going forward. Still a lot of ?s, but we would at least have some nice talent for Wade to groom.
Do you realize that the total snaps played as 3-4 OLBs between all 3 of those guys is 0 ?
JimBaker488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #17
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
Agreed.

I'm usually pretty open to whatever pick the Texans make, but this year there are a number of picks that I am vehemently against (namely Aldon Smith and Amukamara).

I'd be happy with Watts, Cam Jordan, Julio Jones, and even Quinn. But, guys like Smith and Amukamara are utterly unappetizing to me.

I'm just holding out hope for a move up, a move down, or someone falling to us.
Old 04-19-2011   #18
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Do you realize that the total snaps played as 3-4 OLBs between all 3 of those guys is 0 ?
This is pretty much going to be the case no matter what next season. A bunch of unproven guys in the 3-4 defense.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #19
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88085 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Agreed.

I'm usually pretty open to whatever pick the Texans make, but this year there are a number of picks that I am vehemently against (namely Aldon Smith and Amukamara).

I'd be happy with Watts, Cam Jordan, Julio Jones, and even Quinn. But, guys like Smith and Amukamara are utterly unappetizing to me.

I'm just holding out hope for a move up, a move down, or someone falling to us.

I've seen a little of him in various highlight reels & games. i see the potential i just think he's a little too raw right now. I watched the show "game changers" with he & Dareus on it & it reinforced my opinion...this years pierre paul imo.

I think he's too much of a project to pick at that spot.. We need immediate starters who will make an immediate impact & i don't think he'll be able to do that for us next year. Cam Jordan can...imo of course.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #20
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
This is pretty much going to be the case no matter what next season. A bunch of unproven guys in the 3-4 defense.
Unproven guys in the 3-4 >>>>>>> Proven un-guys in the 4-3

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read