Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-16-2005   #1
tacoman_j
Veteran

Default McClain wishing for Benson

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...sfront/3137261

It's pretty obvious that he wants Benson as top pick. I hope it happens.
tacoman_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005   #2
THEFUTURE
All Pro

wouldnt be a bad pick up, but i dont know if he will last til 13, and if we are trading up, its not for him
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005   #3
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Today was the first day that McClain relaxed his "WR or CB" stance and said if the Texans were to take a RB, it would be Benson...I say if he falls to 13, by all means take him, but I can't see us trading up for him...
Old 04-16-2005   #4
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I'd be happy if any of these 3 scenarios were to play out...

1) trade up for DJ
2) Stay at 13 and hope Benson falls to us
3) trade down towards the bottom of the 1st to aquire more picks and select Fabian Washington in the 1st.
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005   #5
Davis37
All Pro

As much as I love watching Dominic Davis, Ced Benson would be a great asset to our team. He is the power type runner that would demand alot of attention from opposing defenses. Not only would he keep our defense off the field by moving the chains, but would also help rest AJ by keeping him from having to run as many pass routes... That in turn would make AJ even more devistating when he did catch the ball. I would rather trade up for Derrick Johnson if the price was not too steep, but if Benson dropped down to us at 13, I would take him in an instant!
Davis37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005   #6
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

i seriously doubt benson will drop that far, i mean sure hes no longer considered the top running back in the draft, but he is a top 3 and there are a few teams ahead of us with RB issues, and i dont think RB is that big of an issue for the texans. We have much bigger concerns on the OL and DL and i'd hate to see us waste a draft pick on a RB when D.D can get the job done for us.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005   #7
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope I have a lot of "I told you so's" for all you guys wanting Benson. However, I'm hopeful that it's because he's flopped with another team and not the Texans. I really don't understand how anyone could be excited about him if you've watched him run most of his career: He's slowish, unexplosive, and he can't catch or block.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-16-2005   #8
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
i seriously doubt benson will drop that far, i mean sure hes no longer considered the top running back in the draft, but he is a top 3 and there are a few teams ahead of us with RB issues, and i dont think RB is that big of an issue for the texans. We have much bigger concerns on the OL and DL and i'd hate to see us waste a draft pick on a RB when D.D can get the job done for us.
It's very possible one or even two of the top 3 running backs will fall to around 13 since there has been a recent trend the past couple of years of teams waiting until later rounds to get their backs...Last year, Stephen Jackson seemed like a lock to go somewhere in the top 15, but he ended up slipping to 24...

The top 3 of this running back class reminds me a lot of the class of 2000, where a runner that mixed strength and speed (Jamal Lewis) went first, the quicker slashing back went second (Thomas Jones), and the third chosen was a great power runner in college who never really put it all together in the pros (Ron Dayne)...Just one of those things that makes you go hmmm ...
Old 04-16-2005   #9
Davis37
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
I hope I have a lot of "I told you so's" for all you guys wanting Benson. However, I'm hopeful that it's because he's flopped with another team and not the Texans. I really don't understand how anyone could be excited about him if you've watched him run most of his career: He's slowish, unexplosive, and he can't catch or block.
We will just have to wait and see about that... IMO you are way off, because ive watched him just as much as you. I think he is going to be a great back, but I wouldnt trade up for him. I would rather go for DJ if the price isnt too steep.
Davis37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005   #10
Trapped
Veteran

i still think we can address this position in the 4th round. He's too much of an enigma for me because he has alot of mileage on him.

I think more ppl or looking for the Portis's, Holmes, Ronnie Brown, D.Davis type running backs, because they didn't carry the load so much in college. I also don't want to depend on J.Wells to carry the load when D.D could be injured in a playoff hunt.

But i also seeing the rb position similar to the bullpen in baseball. I think a commitee with an "Closer" is the way to go. And will that 4th round(Kay-Jay Harris) rb even be better the J.Wells?

I say we go with Eric Shelton in the 2nd or maybe 3rd round. What we lacked last year, was smash-mouth running too. PPl want to say pass protection and pass rush, but we also lacked smash-mouth football too, Shelton also doesn't have the mileage that Benson possess.

Last edited by Trapped; 04-16-2005 at 09:10 AM.
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005   #11
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Quote:
You're not going to find many "power" guys that run 4.4 40s...Benson's biggest strength is his ability to explode off the snap and hit the hole with authority...He probably won't break off any 60 yard TD runs, but I think he'll be able to average around 4.5-5.0 YPC per year...To be honest, I don't think that a running back's ability to catch is a big deal...I'd rather use the TE as a safety valve for the QB than the RB, but that hinges on Joppru being healthy...If we were to get Benson, it would allow Davis to do what he was drafted to do -- be a third down back and kick returner...
Old 04-16-2005   #12
Trapped
Veteran

a power back is also what we need to not allow Indy to pass rush on us nearly every possession. Benson or Shelton will be a small step for us in conquering the colts. I see the only way to beat Indy is to punch them in the mouth, get Benson or Shelton.

But im also afraid of the Stacey Mack experiment that we tried a couple years ago.
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

McClain wishing for Benson maybe, yesterday hearing him talk it was clear to me that he hopes Benson is gone by the 13th pick so the Texans don't have to make that decision. You know Casserly, he already has his man and if Benson fell from where he has been projected & avialable to the Texans it would be a difficult decision indeed.

Benson's biggest strength has been his durability, he would unseat Davis in a numbers game requiring 25-30 touches, reinforce run first philosophy mind set and the Texans would miss out on the chance to draft a defensive playmaker again in the 1st round. Do you really think this is what McClain & Cappers really want? seems more like just talk to insure he is not there to me.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005   #14
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

We have Davis in place for two more years, at least. Even for those who believe he's not an above average starting NFL back, don't you think he's worth 12-15 carries a game. If so, the Benson's greatest strength, according to most of you (carrying the ball 25-30 times), doesn't have much value for us. Plus, I think Hollings still should be evaluated before he's dismissed. Again, with what we have at RB and what we need elsewhere, burning our first round pick on Benson seems like a huge mistake.

Is it that clear to all of you that Benson is going to be a better pro than Shelton... We could get Shelton in the 3rd- after acquiring an elite CB, WR, or OLB in the first. Isn't that a better way to go?
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005   #15
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Quote:
We have Davis in place for two more years, at least. Even for those who believe he's not an above average starting NFL back, don't you think he's worth 12-15 carries a game. If so, the Benson's greatest strength, according to most of you (carrying the ball 25-30 times), doesn't have much value for us. Plus, I think Hollings still should be evaluated before he's dismissed. Again, with what we have at RB and what we need elsewhere, burning our first round pick on Benson seems like a huge mistake.

Is it that clear to all of you that Benson is going to be a better pro than Shelton... We could get Shelton in the 3rd- after acquiring an elite CB, WR, or OLB in the first. Isn't that a better way to go?
This is Davis' last season of his rookie contract, so he's going to be a RFA after the season...

About Shelton, the big difference between Shelton and Benson is that Benson has shown that he can carry a load and play through injury...Shelton split carries in college with two other RBs, Lionel Gates and Michael Bush...
Old 04-16-2005   #16
tacoman_j
Veteran

Default Ut

We most likely won't pick Benson, but this is the Texans, and a lot of its fans are somehow tied to UT and want to keep their people near home. We will not pibk DJ or Benson next Saturday. DJ doesn't really have a place in our scheme ant there are questions regarding his toughness. Where would he play for the Texans (ILB or ROLB). He is not a proven pass rusher, although that wasn't his role @ UT. There are also too many questions about Benson's attitude and "bust-ability" There too much quality in the lower rounds with the running. Please don't just choose a UT player as a PR move.

We need a running back to pair with Davis; yet a first round investment is not the best idea. I also wonder how many running backs that we are going to carry on our active roster. We carried three last season, and Tony Hollings could be the odd man out. That sucks because he was a 2nd round investment, and I believe that Wells makes the team as a special teams player.

What do your guys think of Charlie Anderson?? He made te team last year, but do you see him contributing next year as a special teams play and situational pass rusher. The only reason I'm asking because I hear that we are eyeing another tweener type, and we have a glut of LB. I also really want Peek to win a starting job this year, and I fear that the Texans may invest an early round pick @ the position, and feel compelled to start him just as Babin last year. Playing the strongside, I believe that Babin had a good year.

Man, I can't wait till I graduate so that I can return to Houston, and catch TExans games on a weekly basis. i'm so tired of these crappy RAMS games. At least they play the texans this year.

Last edited by tacoman_j; 04-16-2005 at 11:08 AM.
tacoman_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005   #17
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

I don't want to turn this into a DJ thread, but how does he not fit into the Texans' scheme? We want quick, dynamic LBs playing inside for us and he fits the bill...I would love to have an opposing team's RB coming directly at DJ all day, since DJ jas shown a knack for stripping the ball, evidenced by his NCAA record 9 forced fumbles last year...I'm not even really a UT fan, but it's pretty evident IMO that DJ would be a perfect ILB here...
Old 04-16-2005   #18
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
McClain wishing for Benson maybe, yesterday hearing him talk it was clear to me that he hopes Benson is gone by the 13th pick so the Texans don't have to make that decision.
Well put - I think that nails McClain's sentiments on the subject. But he also
made a persuasive case for taking Benson if he's on the Board for us: The guy has the kind of durability that DD will never have and he is a bona fide power runner.
I also thought his observation was right on about how could someone take, say a Ronnie Brown who was primarily a back up or substitute
back in college, when they could take a Benson who has such a steller record on the field throughout both his scholastic and college careers.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005   #19
Texan Gal 312
Veteran

Quote:
Did you read McClain's article ? The point of the article was that is the exact same things they said about Earl Campbell before the Oilers traded up and picked him.
Cedrick is explosive out of the blocks and he is all about YAC.

I still hope it is defense in the first round.
Texan Gal 312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm hoping Benson falls to us badly. He would totally change this offense. No longer will you see cover-2 shells with the Safeties way back over the top of the CB's 20 yards down field capping our passing game. They will be forced up into the box to defend Bensons inside bashing, opening up the downfield tosses. Davis doesn't force anyone out of their scheme. The way to beat the Texans is to sit back in a cover2 and let the front-7 handle Davis. That would be over to some extent.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read