Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-12-2011   #21
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21813 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Big market cities!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
You know, the owner of the Saints made a big push to move that team to San Antonio or LA just after hurricane Katrina, right?
Yes, I did. And guess what? It did not happen.

Jerry Jones and Bob McNair would never, ever allow it.

The Cowboys have the DFW and San Antonio Markets; The Texans have Houston and Austin, and is trying to get back Beaumont-Port Arthur from the Cowboys and capture The Valley (home of a couple million people).
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #22
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Here are the Top 10 Media MArkets according to Nielson: http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...-dma-ranks.pdf. Media markets do not go by overall area population. It's why Atlanta is ahead of Houston on the list.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #23
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the response guys.

from what i get there are a few pieces that make the entire puzzle.

it would be interesting to see what happens when we win some playoff games or create some sort of dynasty (easy guys just an example lol)

but i guess, if Houston fans look it from one point of view, maybe its a good thing we have fans just from Houston (and down under), it could give us a more tight nit and passionate fan base like its an "us against the rest" mentality.

and now that i think about it do we "need" that national exposure, the franchise is already one of the richest, with great facilities, top stadium, sell out games, the best tailgating and great fans....what more do we want.............(maybe a team to reach the same levels as the pervious mentioned things lol)

in the end.....GO TEXANS!!!
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #24
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59516 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

In general, winning will bring fans. But I think market size means less in the NFL than other sports. Green Bay is a miniscule market, but they have a nationwide fanbase. Dallas and Pittsburgh are the same way, with fans in nearly every city. Look at those teams' attendance figures for road games -- or just think what Reliant looks like when we are playing those teams.

More than anything it's about winning. New Orleans is exhibit 'A.' No one outside of Louisiana watched the Saints until Brees got there.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #25
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
Thanks for the response guys.

from what i get there are a few pieces that make the entire puzzle.

it would be interesting to see what happens when we win some playoff games or create some sort of dynasty (easy guys just an example lol)

but i guess, if Houston fans look it from one point of view, maybe its a good thing we have fans just from Houston (and down under), it could give us a more tight nit and passionate fan base like its an "us against the rest" mentality.

and now that i think about it do we "need" that national exposure, the franchise is already one of the richest, with great facilities, top stadium, sell out games, the best tailgating and great fans....what more do we want.............(maybe a team to reach the same levels as the pervious mentioned things lol)

in the end.....GO TEXANS!!!
Aussie, don't forget about me. I am from Japan. Even with quake and all, I still have a heart for the Texans!!! The best way to keep my mind away from quake is talk about something you love the most.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #26
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
Aussie, don't forget about me. I am from Japan. Even with quake and all, I still have a heart for the Texans!!! The best way to keep my mind away from quake is talk about something you love the most.
yeah sorry mate, hope all is getting better and there is encouraging signs for you guys.

also its good to know that someone else is in a similar timezone and has to get up early on monday mornings to watch the games lol
Old 04-13-2011   #27
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

the reason we don't get any pub, is because we don't deserve it.

we got a flatlining coach, flatlining players, and a buffoon for an owner.

we don't take any chances, we aren't endearing or controversial, and WE DON'T WIN.

maybe lets try and win a game that actually matters. when the Texans get presented with 'the biggest game in team history', what happens? yeah, that s right. They fall on their collective ass every damn time.
Old 04-13-2011   #28
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
the reason we don't get any pub, is because we don't deserve it.
QFT. It is pointless to waste gloss on losers, because nobody will watch it.

People want to see winners, regardless of the size of the market that these teams come from. ESPN and NFLN are responding to what people want at the end of the day.
Old 04-13-2011   #29
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i dont no we got alot of coverage when AJ beat down on FInney LOL

and when Garrard Throw a Game winning Hail mary ..... :P

we get coverage when we seem to choke the last 40 seconds of da game week in and week out
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #30
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yeah sorry mate, hope all is getting better and there is encouraging signs for you guys.

also its good to know that someone else is in a similar timezone and has to get up early on monday mornings to watch the games lol
It's OK. Yeah, I know the feeling. Every Monday mornings during football season lol

Go Texans!!!
Old 04-13-2011   #31
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 75779 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
The Cowboys have the DFW and San Antonio Markets; The Texans have Houston and Austin, and is trying to get back Beaumont-Port Arthur from the Cowboys and capture The Valley (home of a couple million people).
Is that the same Austin where the Texans are (were) preempted by Titans games?
Old 04-13-2011   #32
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

This whole thread is a bunch of mularkey. We get plenty of pub. On NFL network during the total access show in the main studio..Guess who's in the highlight reel on the screen behind rich eisen reeling in a TD & walking into the end zone? Yup, our very own Kevin Walter baby!

& then if you watch long enough on the other screen behind Trent Green ( i guess) guess who else is on the TV in the highlight reel? Yup Arian Foster high stepping into the zone on the colts from wk. 1.

Lol...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #33
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
I think, Aussie's original question is why we don't get more coverage from ESPN and NFL network. Now, geographic size(population density) of the market is what Bill posted(nice job Bill). But, market can fluctuate by popularity of the team.(If you look the Texans as a product) I believe, The Oilers (Luv ya Blue era) had more fans than Texans and we had more follower in Texas(outside of Houston market) if I recall right. (I used live in Houston during this era)

Go Texans!!!
Thats a simple answer - East coast , West coast Media Bias. Hell , even the govt shows bias - look who got all the retired space shuttles .....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #34
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Thats a simple answer - East coast , West coast Media Bias. Hell , even the govt shows bias - look who got all the retired space shuttles .....
Oh man Corrosion, don't even bring up the space shuttles thing. I am so pissed about how the whole thing went down. It's just bull sxxx! (I am trying to keep my mind off from this subject) And yeah, current market situation is like you mentioned. To improve current situation, is to gain more market share by winning and appear in the playoffs on regular bases and that is all am saying.

Go Texans!!!

Last edited by SAMURAITEXAN; 04-13-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-13-2011   #35
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Those were the good times to be a Football fan in Houston .... damn if they didnt end in failure.

**** **** **** **** I hate the ****ing Pittsburgh ****ing Steelers. I hate them more than the ****ing Yankees , more than a ****ing Yankee's ****ing Redsocks game. I hate them more than the ****ing Jazz & the ****ing Lakers and the ****ing Boston Celtics too.

Did I mention I hate the ****ing Pittsburgh ****ing Steelers?

...... Still luv ya blue.

Only some of those *'s , were F-Bombs. For the rest , use your imagination.
Meh, I'm an equal opportunity hater... I hate them ALL equally!!! Except that your forgot the Dodgers. Remember those days!??!?!?
Old 04-13-2011   #36
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yup!!! Actually, I see us eventually losing NASA as a whole, not unlike losing the Goodyear Blimp up north of Houston. (Spring IIRC, off 45).
Old 04-13-2011   #37
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Yup!!! Actually, I see us eventually losing NASA as a whole, not unlike losing the Goodyear Blimp up north of Houston. (Spring IIRC, off 45).
Quote:
Im just dumbfounded as to why they have left NASA here in Houston as long as they have. I expected them to move it to California or Florida long ago.

From the thread in the NSZ on the shuttle ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #38
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 7306 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

You bunch of candy asses need to quit bitching about getting national attention you don't deserve! The only thing about us that the nation should pay attention to is oil and the border, now pay for your damn tickets and shut up. GO!
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011   #39
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
You bunch of candy asses need to quit bitching about getting national attention you don't deserve! The only thing about us that the nation should pay attention to is oil and the border, now pay for your damn tickets and shut up. GO!
i dont think anyone here is complaining if anything they are more understanding of that fact.

i asked a question because i don't have the means to get the answer here and everyone responded with their opinion
Old 04-14-2011   #40
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 7306 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i dont think anyone here is complaining if anything they are more understanding of that fact.

i asked a question because i don't have the means to get the answer here and everyone responded with their opinion
Sorry man, I was being facetious. I'm still pissed about having to pay for tickets to a season that's looking like it probably won't happen.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read