Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Big market cities!!!!!!!!

Why is Houston not one of the big markets like New York, Chicago, Dallas, Philadelphia, Pittsburg etc.

It seems like we don't get any (or hardly) any coverage on channels like the NFL network and espn.

Why is that??
Is it because we are an expansion team with out history?? or is it something else?

Houston is the 4th biggest city in America, with a good economy, from what i read good health care system, diverse culture etc.

Do you think that if the team started making consecutive playoff appearance that Houston would get recognised more??

Its similar for other franchises you guys have like the rockets and Astros.

In terms of stereotypes from what i hear over here in Australia, Texas is suppose to be football crazy so why don't we here more about your texans on the national stage. Considering the size of Houston i thought it would be in the NFL interests to do so.

what are your thoughts on this??

GO TEXANS!!!!!

Why is Houston not one of the big markets like New York, Chicago, Dallas, Philadelphia, Pittsburg etc.

It seems like we don't get any (or hardly) any coverage on channels like the NFL network and espn.

Why is that??
Is it because we are an expansion team with out history?? or is it something else?

Houston is the 4th biggest city in America, with a good economy, from what i read good health care system, diverse culture etc.

Do you think that if the team started making consecutive playoff appearance that Houston would get recognised more??

In terms of stereotypes from what i hear over here in Australia, Texas is suppose to be football crazy so why don't we here more about your texans on the national stage. Considering the size of Houston i thought it would be in the NFL interests to do so.

GO TEXANS!!!!!

I think you pretty much explained why.

1. New expansion team
2. 4th largest but we had the Oilers prior to Texans which takes away some
fans from Houston
3.State of Texas is football crazy but the most of Texans are Cowboy fans
4. Not much of the follower outside of Texas

The Texans had to start winning and need to go playoffs often to get more national and international exposure.

Go Texans!!!

1. New expansion team
fans from Houston

The Texans had to start winning and need to go playoffs often to get more national and international exposure.

Go Texans!!!

Yes, bottomline we do not get nearly as equal as coverage. Case and point, Dallas had a crappy season last year but every time I turned on ESPN or NFLN that's what was being talked about. So it's not relative to how you are doing this year (which it should be) but more about the history and perception of the team. Sometimes it feels like let's keep popular teams popular even if they are stinking it up.

The Oilers got plenty of national coverage. (Buffalo, thanks Warren the wife beater Moon)

The Texans have little history and what history they have is that of being a joke. think about how many highlights you see with a Texan getting burned for a TD. When the Texans start winning they will become relevant.

The national media loves a good story. When Gary is fired and Wade becomes HC. Bums boy taking over a new Houston franchise will be a big national story. Bottom line is winning= national coverage.

So far the Texans have failed miserably at putting a winning product on the field.

I agree with the reasonings except they aren't an expansion team anymore. That term bothers me and I think "excuse" when I hear it. It comes down to one thing...winning. The Jets were laughing stocks for years and then Favre went there, Rex Ryan went there, Mark Sanchez went there and they were winning and getting attention. Teams either have history or they are a top team and that is what alot if based on.

Because all of our sports teams aren't very good. The city is very much divided in terms of what teams people root for.

Short answer: we aren't as unified nor as passionate compared to other cities that are considered 'big markets'

Plus its hot as crap.

1. New expansion team
fans from Houston

Go Texans!!!

Sorry Samurai, none of that is true.

While Houston may be the 4th largest city in the US, we are 10th in market size. Your usual suspects take up the first three: New York, LA and Chicago. After those three are Philadelphia (which it's market includes most of Eastern PA and much of New Jersey. Next would Dallas-Fort Worthless (Sorry Frog ;) ) which their market includes three legitimate cities. After that is San Francisco/Oakland. Again the combining of multiple cities.

How is it that the second largest city in Texas and 7th largest city in the US (San Antonio) is ranked 37th tv markets?

Why is that??

GO TEXANS!!!!!

We are 10th in market size, which is still pretty good sized. You have to understand, Houston's market is essentially the city of Houston and the suburbs surrounding it. Other markets i.e. Philly or Washington DC and Baltimore overlap one another and extend into New Jersey and Virginia. Dallas (aka DFW) Dallas, Fort Worth AND Arlington in between, are ALL considered 1 market. San Francisco and Oakland are considered one market. LA's market extends all the way south until, well it turns into San Diego's market (ranked 28th).

Pittsburgh ranks 23rd in terms of market size.

This density map illustrates a lot:

us-population-map.gif

Sorry Samurai, none of that is true.

While Houston may be the 4th largest city in the US, we are 10th in market size. Your usual suspects take up the first three: New York, LA and Chicago. After those three are Philadelphia (which it's market includes most of Eastern PA and much of New Jersey. Next would Dallas-Fort Worthless (Sorry Frog ;) ) which their market includes three legitimate cities. After that is San Francisco/Oakland. Again the combining of multiple cities.

How is it that the second largest city in Texas and 7th largest city in the US (San Antonio) is ranked 37th tv markets?

I got your point Bill. What I want to say is that if we become regular appearance team in playoffs, we will get more national and international exposure and fan base will grow with it. I am doing my part here in Japan. I am telling(Not asking) my friends to watch the Texans at least once. But when you are not winning, they just don't watch anymore.

Please Win Texans!!!

Why is that??

TV programming is all about trying to capitalize on subjects that the public wants to see. And at the end of the day, the Texans are not a compelling subject to cover with just one winning season in franchise history. Nobody wants to watch boring, sucktastic football...outside of the team's fanbase, of course.

I got your point Bill. What I want to say is that if we become regular appearance team in playoffs, we will get more national and international exposure and fan base will grow with it. I am doing my part here in Japan. I am telling(Not asking) my friends to watch the Texans at least once. But when you are not winning, they just don't watch anymore.

Please Win Texans!!!

TB explained it right .... and the image helps show his point.

Sure they will get more coverage if they win but it wont change the market size .... Just the exposure.

We are 10th in market size, which is still pretty good sized. You have to understand, Houston's market is essentially the city of Houston and the suburbs surrounding it. Other markets i.e. Philly or Washington DC and Baltimore overlap one another and extend into New Jersey and Virginia. Dallas (aka DFW) Dallas, Fort Worth AND Arlington in between, are ALL considered 1 market. San Francisco and Oakland are considered one market. LA's market extends all the way south until, well it turns into San Diego's market (ranked 28th).

Pittsburgh ranks 23rd in terms of market size.

This density map illustrates a lot:

us-population-map.gif

You are 100 percent correct, my friend. Houston is twice the size of Dallas, but Dallas-Ft. Worth is almost twice the size of Metro Houston.

Another example is Norfolk and Virginia Beach, Virginia. Those two cities are right next to each other, and have like 2 million people. That's a huge market for a major sports team. But they won't ever get one, because the Redskins have claimed that market. Thus, making Washington, D.C. a larger television market.

It's also one reason why, although Texas could support a third NFL team, it will never, ever, ever happen.

You are 100 percent correct, my friend. Houston is twice the size of Dallas, but Dallas-Ft. Worth is almost twice the size of Metro Houston.

Another example is Norfolk and Virginia Beach, Virginia. Those two cities are right next to each other, and have like 2 million people. That's a huge market for a major sports team. But they won't ever get one, because the Redskins have claimed that market. Thus, making Washington, D.C. a larger television market.

It's also one reason why, although Texas could support a third NFL team, it will never, ever, ever happen.

You know, the owner of the Saints made a big push to move that team to San Antonio or LA just after hurricane Katrina, right?

We are the 10th richest sports franchise in the WORLD.
Must mean that we fans from a small area are avid enough to be "spreading the wealth" to those in much more need........like McNair. But we all know that Houston fans suck.:kitten:

We are the 10th richest sports franchise in the WORLD.
Must mean that we fans from a small area are avid enough to be "spreading the wealth" to those in much more need........like McNair. But we all know that Houston fans suck.:kitten:

You should've listened to the interview with Earl and Bum today on 1560... Lotsa love for Houston fans, the city and the passion that we reciprocated to those guys (amongst many others as well). :D

Actually, I think they have it up on Podcast on 1560 and/or TravisRodgersNow.com -or- Sporting News Radio.

As a one time Aggie (once an Aggie, always an Aggie), Gig'em Earl and Bum!!!

Wait, what? No it's not. There is only like a 300K difference between Metro Houston and Dallas-Fort Worth (basically, the population of the City of Arlington). And both places are at about 6M each, so that 300K difference is hardly noticeable, in the grand scheme of things. City limit boundaries mean nothing when determining market size. If that was the case, then San Antonio would be a top ten market. Instead, it's in the late 20s or early 30s.

You should've listened to the interview with Earl and Bum today on 1560... Lotsa love for Houston fans, the city and the passion that we reciprocated to those guys (amongst many others as well). :D

Actually, I think they have it up on Podcast on 1560 and/or TravisRodgersNow.com -or- Sporting News Radio.

As a one time Aggie (once an Aggie, always an Aggie), Gig'em Earl and Bum!!!

Those were the good times to be a Football fan in Houston .... damn if they didnt end in failure.

**** **** **** **** I hate the ****ing Pittsburgh ****ing Steelers. I hate them more than the ****ing Yankees , more than a ****ing Yankee's ****ing Redsocks game. I hate them more than the ****ing Jazz & the ****ing Lakers and the ****ing Boston Celtics too.

Did I mention I hate the ****ing Pittsburgh ****ing Steelers?

...... Still luv ya blue.

Only some of those *'s , were F-Bombs. For the rest , use your imagination.

TB explained it right .... and the image helps show his point.

Sure they will get more coverage if they win but it wont change the market size .... Just the exposure.

I think, Aussie's original question is why we don't get more coverage from ESPN and NFL network. Now, geographic size(population density) of the market is what Bill posted(nice job Bill). But, market can fluctuate by popularity of the team.(If you look the Texans as a product) I believe, The Oilers (Luv ya Blue era) had more fans than Texans and we had more follower in Texas(outside of Houston market) if I recall right. (I used live in Houston during this era)

Go Texans!!!

I think, Aussie's original question is why we don't get more coverage from ESPN and NFL network. Now, geographic size(population density) of the market is what Bill posted(nice job Bill). But, market can fluctuate by popularity of the team.(If you look the Texans as a product) I believe, The Oilers (Luv ya Blue era) had more fans than Texans and we had more follower in Texas(outside of Houston market) if I recall right. (I used live in Houston during this era)

Go Texans!!!

The name of the team also helps. The name "Texans" is just too local to really catch on outside of the state, IMO. You never know. Maybe if the team has some success, it'll be different.

The name of the team also helps. The name "Texans" is just too local to really catch on outside of the state, IMO. You never know. Maybe if the team has some success, it'll be different.

Yes, you are right. The naming is very important however, when you started to hear often enough(like you mention "success"). People can get used to the name.

Personally, good naming or not, I am just glad that we have NFL team in Houston. Because, I love Houston.

Go Texans!!!

You know, the owner of the Saints made a big push to move that team to San Antonio or LA just after hurricane Katrina, right?

Yes, I did. And guess what? It did not happen.

Jerry Jones and Bob McNair would never, ever allow it.

The Cowboys have the DFW and San Antonio Markets; The Texans have Houston and Austin, and is trying to get back Beaumont-Port Arthur from the Cowboys and capture The Valley (home of a couple million people).

Thanks for the response guys.

from what i get there are a few pieces that make the entire puzzle.

it would be interesting to see what happens when we win some playoff games or create some sort of dynasty (easy guys just an example lol)

but i guess, if Houston fans look it from one point of view, maybe its a good thing we have fans just from Houston (and down under), it could give us a more tight nit and passionate fan base like its an "us against the rest" mentality.

and now that i think about it do we "need" that national exposure, the franchise is already one of the richest, with great facilities, top stadium, sell out games, the best tailgating and great fans....what more do we want.............(maybe a team to reach the same levels as the pervious mentioned things lol)

in the end.....GO TEXANS!!!

In general, winning will bring fans. But I think market size means less in the NFL than other sports. Green Bay is a miniscule market, but they have a nationwide fanbase. Dallas and Pittsburgh are the same way, with fans in nearly every city. Look at those teams' attendance figures for road games -- or just think what Reliant looks like when we are playing those teams.

More than anything it's about winning. New Orleans is exhibit 'A.' No one outside of Louisiana watched the Saints until Brees got there.

Thanks for the response guys.

from what i get there are a few pieces that make the entire puzzle.

it would be interesting to see what happens when we win some playoff games or create some sort of dynasty (easy guys just an example lol)

but i guess, if Houston fans look it from one point of view, maybe its a good thing we have fans just from Houston (and down under), it could give us a more tight nit and passionate fan base like its an "us against the rest" mentality.

and now that i think about it do we "need" that national exposure, the franchise is already one of the richest, with great facilities, top stadium, sell out games, the best tailgating and great fans....what more do we want.............(maybe a team to reach the same levels as the pervious mentioned things lol)

in the end.....GO TEXANS!!!

Aussie, don't forget about me. I am from Japan. Even with quake and all, I still have a heart for the Texans!!! The best way to keep my mind away from quake is talk about something you love the most.

Aussie, don't forget about me. I am from Japan. Even with quake and all, I still have a heart for the Texans!!! The best way to keep my mind away from quake is talk about something you love the most.

yeah sorry mate, hope all is getting better and there is encouraging signs for you guys.

also its good to know that someone else is in a similar timezone and has to get up early on monday mornings to watch the games lol

the reason we don't get any pub, is because we don't deserve it.

we got a flatlining coach, flatlining players, and a buffoon for an owner.

we don't take any chances, we aren't endearing or controversial, and WE DON'T WIN.

maybe lets try and win a game that actually matters. when the Texans get presented with 'the biggest game in team history', what happens? yeah, that s right. They fall on their collective ass every damn time.

the reason we don't get any pub, is because we don't deserve it.

QFT. It is pointless to waste gloss on losers, because nobody will watch it.

People want to see winners, regardless of the size of the market that these teams come from. ESPN and NFLN are responding to what people want at the end of the day.

i dont no we got alot of coverage when AJ beat down on FInney LOL

and when Garrard Throw a Game winning Hail mary ..... :P

we get coverage when we seem to choke the last 40 seconds of da game week in and week out

yeah sorry mate, hope all is getting better and there is encouraging signs for you guys.

also its good to know that someone else is in a similar timezone and has to get up early on monday mornings to watch the games lol

It's OK. Yeah, I know the feeling. Every Monday mornings during football season lol

Go Texans!!!

The Cowboys have the DFW and San Antonio Markets; The Texans have Houston and Austin, and is trying to get back Beaumont-Port Arthur from the Cowboys and capture The Valley (home of a couple million people).

Is that the same Austin where the Texans are (were) preempted by Titans games?

This whole thread is a bunch of mularkey. We get plenty of pub. On NFL network during the total access show in the main studio..Guess who's in the highlight reel on the screen behind rich eisen reeling in a TD & walking into the end zone? Yup, our very own Kevin Walter baby!

& then if you watch long enough on the other screen behind Trent Green ( i guess) guess who else is on the TV in the highlight reel? Yup Arian Foster high stepping into the zone on the colts from wk. 1.

Lol...

Go Texans!!!

Thats a simple answer - East coast , West coast Media Bias. Hell , even the govt shows bias - look who got all the retired space shuttles .....

Thats a simple answer - East coast , West coast Media Bias. Hell , even the govt shows bias - look who got all the retired space shuttles .....

Oh man Corrosion, don't even bring up the space shuttles thing. I am so pissed about how the whole thing went down. It's just bull sxxx! (I am trying to keep my mind off from this subject) And yeah, current market situation is like you mentioned. To improve current situation, is to gain more market share by winning and appear in the playoffs on regular bases and that is all am saying.

Go Texans!!!

Last edited:
Those were the good times to be a Football fan in Houston .... damn if they didnt end in failure.

**** **** **** **** I hate the ****ing Pittsburgh ****ing Steelers. I hate them more than the ****ing Yankees , more than a ****ing Yankee's ****ing Redsocks game. I hate them more than the ****ing Jazz & the ****ing Lakers and the ****ing Boston Celtics too.

Did I mention I hate the ****ing Pittsburgh ****ing Steelers?

...... Still luv ya blue.

Only some of those *'s , were F-Bombs. For the rest , use your imagination.

Meh, I'm an equal opportunity hater... I hate them ALL equally!!! Except that your forgot the Dodgers. Remember those days!??!?!?

Yup!!! Actually, I see us eventually losing NASA as a whole, not unlike losing the Goodyear Blimp up north of Houston. (Spring IIRC, off 45).

You bunch of candy asses need to quit bitching about getting national attention you don't deserve! The only thing about us that the nation should pay attention to is oil and the border, now pay for your damn tickets and shut up. GO!

You bunch of candy asses need to quit bitching about getting national attention you don't deserve! The only thing about us that the nation should pay attention to is oil and the border, now pay for your damn tickets and shut up. GO!

i dont think anyone here is complaining if anything they are more understanding of that fact.

i asked a question because i don't have the means to get the answer here and everyone responded with their opinion

i dont think anyone here is complaining if anything they are more understanding of that fact.

i asked a question because i don't have the means to get the answer here and everyone responded with their opinion

Sorry man, I was being facetious. :fingergun: I'm still pissed about having to pay for tickets to a season that's looking like it probably won't happen.

Star power sells too, and the Texans are essentially AJ and a bunch of bums when it comes to that at a national level. Arian Foster may be a second star, if he isn't a one-year-wonder.

Star power sells too, and the Texans are essentially AJ and a bunch of bums when it comes to that at a national level. Arian Foster may be a second star, if he isn't a one-year-wonder.

yeah, but that comes more into play with the NBA though. They market their superstars like nobody's business. You would've thought that the city of Cleveland had risen to New York status by watching the NBA over the last few years b/c aside from the usuals, they were always on TV - & in prime time slots, when Lebron was there.

The Oilers got plenty of national coverage. (Buffalo, thanks Warren the wife beater Moon)

The Texans have little history and what history they have is that of being a joke. think about how many highlights you see with a Texan getting burned for a TD. When the Texans start winning they will become relevant.

The national media loves a good story. When Gary is fired and Wade becomes HC. Bums boy taking over a new Houston franchise will be a big national story. Bottom line is winning= national coverage.

So far the Texans have failed miserably at putting a winning product on the field.

Bolded part to the max! When you flip on NFL Live or anything like that when they are talking about some other team and showing their highlights, or even just some background highlights while they are talking of multiple teams just as space filler, you notice (or at least I do) that you almost ALWAYS see Texans getting burned on defense.

Kubes blows donkey juevos for a 5th year so let's keep him for a 6th....

Name of the team is not exactly sexy....it took a good while for "Texans" to roll off my tongue for a sports team like it wasn't some Player Custom made Madden team you create and save on your Xbox like the "Spiders" or something..... And I'm someone that will instantly latch onto Houston sports stuff....but "Texans" and the logo took a little while to grow on me.

Basically, right now, we are seriously a joke........hate to admit it....but it's true. Even if we do well to start some season....most people in the media know we will flame out so it's not even a story.

Anyone familiar with my posts knows I'm effing die hard about this team.....but even me, during week 8 or so and beyond, it's just another Sunday with an excuse to grill and get drunk when the Texans play as they have anually already effed themselves for the year by then. My firends know when it's bad when my yelling turns to laughing later in the year...... :kubepalm: I mean, what other team could bring you plays like the "Rosencopter" and epic FAIL collapses almost every year.

Texans were ranked like the most exciting team in NFL yet we haven't done squat......it's cause all those epic collapses are entertaining and so is stuff like Rosencopter

I don't exactly consider OD, DeMeco Ryans, Mario Williams AND Matt Turk a bunch of "bums"!!!

Okay, well Matt Turk. You got me there. Touche! :heh:

TV programming is all about trying to capitalize on subjects that the public wants to see. And at the end of the day, the Texans are not a compelling subject to cover with just one winning season in franchise history. Nobody wants to watch boring, sucktastic football...outside of the team's fanbase, of course.
You can say we sucked last season, but I didn't think we were boring at all. Too many games came down to the wire to call them boring.

QFT. It is pointless to waste gloss on losers, because nobody will watch it.

People want to see winners, regardless of the size of the market that these teams come from. ESPN and NFLN are responding to what people want at the end of the day.
I dunno...the Cubs are perennial losers, but they get an awful lot of coverage. There really seems to be a bias in sports broadcasting and coverage. Especially with ESPiN.

You can say we sucked last season, but I didn't think we were boring at all. Too many games came down to the wire to call them boring.

I dunno...the Cubs are perennial losers, but they get an awful lot of coverage. There really seems to be a bias in sports broadcasting and coverage. Especially with ESPiN.

Because the Cubs actually have history. The Texans have none.

I don't exactly consider OD, DeMeco Ryans, Mario Williams AND Matt Turk a bunch of "bums"!!!

Okay, well Matt Turk. You got me there. Touche! :heh:

That is why I said "at a national level". With the exception of Mario, the rest are pretty much unknowns outside of Texas.

Back