Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-12-2011   #1
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Big market cities!!!!!!!!

Why is Houston not one of the big markets like New York, Chicago, Dallas, Philadelphia, Pittsburg etc.

It seems like we don't get any (or hardly) any coverage on channels like the NFL network and espn.

Why is that??
Is it because we are an expansion team with out history?? or is it something else?

Houston is the 4th biggest city in America, with a good economy, from what i read good health care system, diverse culture etc.

Do you think that if the team started making consecutive playoff appearance that Houston would get recognised more??

Its similar for other franchises you guys have like the rockets and Astros.

In terms of stereotypes from what i hear over here in Australia, Texas is suppose to be football crazy so why don't we here more about your texans on the national stage. Considering the size of Houston i thought it would be in the NFL interests to do so.

what are your thoughts on this??

GO TEXANS!!!!!
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #2
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Big market cities!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
Why is Houston not one of the big markets like New York, Chicago, Dallas, Philadelphia, Pittsburg etc.

It seems like we don't get any (or hardly) any coverage on channels like the NFL network and espn.

Why is that??
Is it because we are an expansion team with out history?? or is it something else?

Houston is the 4th biggest city in America, with a good economy, from what i read good health care system, diverse culture etc.

Do you think that if the team started making consecutive playoff appearance that Houston would get recognised more??

In terms of stereotypes from what i hear over here in Australia, Texas is suppose to be football crazy so why don't we here more about your texans on the national stage. Considering the size of Houston i thought it would be in the NFL interests to do so.

GO TEXANS!!!!!
I think you pretty much explained why.

1. New expansion team
2. 4th largest but we had the Oilers prior to Texans which takes away some
fans from Houston
3.State of Texas is football crazy but the most of Texans are Cowboy fans
4. Not much of the follower outside of Texas

The Texans had to start winning and need to go playoffs often to get more national and international exposure.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #3
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post

1. New expansion team
fans from Houston

The Texans had to start winning and need to go playoffs often to get more national and international exposure.

Go Texans!!!
Yes, bottomline we do not get nearly as equal as coverage. Case and point, Dallas had a crappy season last year but every time I turned on ESPN or NFLN that's what was being talked about. So it's not relative to how you are doing this year (which it should be) but more about the history and perception of the team. Sometimes it feels like let's keep popular teams popular even if they are stinking it up.
Old 04-12-2011   #4
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Oilers got plenty of national coverage. (Buffalo, thanks Warren the wife beater Moon)

The Texans have little history and what history they have is that of being a joke. think about how many highlights you see with a Texan getting burned for a TD. When the Texans start winning they will become relevant.

The national media loves a good story. When Gary is fired and Wade becomes HC. Bums boy taking over a new Houston franchise will be a big national story. Bottom line is winning= national coverage.

So far the Texans have failed miserably at putting a winning product on the field.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #5
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with the reasonings except they aren't an expansion team anymore. That term bothers me and I think "excuse" when I hear it. It comes down to one thing...winning. The Jets were laughing stocks for years and then Favre went there, Rex Ryan went there, Mark Sanchez went there and they were winning and getting attention. Teams either have history or they are a top team and that is what alot if based on.
Old 04-12-2011   #6
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 8908 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Because all of our sports teams aren't very good. The city is very much divided in terms of what teams people root for.

Short answer: we aren't as unified nor as passionate compared to other cities that are considered 'big markets'

Plus its hot as crap.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1. New expansion team
fans from Houston

Go Texans!!!
Sorry Samurai, none of that is true.

While Houston may be the 4th largest city in the US, we are 10th in market size. Your usual suspects take up the first three: New York, LA and Chicago. After those three are Philadelphia (which it's market includes most of Eastern PA and much of New Jersey. Next would Dallas-Fort Worthless (Sorry Frog ) which their market includes three legitimate cities. After that is San Francisco/Oakland. Again the combining of multiple cities.

How is it that the second largest city in Texas and 7th largest city in the US (San Antonio) is ranked 37th tv markets?
Old 04-12-2011   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post

Why is that??

GO TEXANS!!!!!
We are 10th in market size, which is still pretty good sized. You have to understand, Houston's market is essentially the city of Houston and the suburbs surrounding it. Other markets i.e. Philly or Washington DC and Baltimore overlap one another and extend into New Jersey and Virginia. Dallas (aka DFW) Dallas, Fort Worth AND Arlington in between, are ALL considered 1 market. San Francisco and Oakland are considered one market. LA's market extends all the way south until, well it turns into San Diego's market (ranked 28th).

Pittsburgh ranks 23rd in terms of market size.

This density map illustrates a lot:

Old 04-12-2011   #9
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Sorry Samurai, none of that is true.

While Houston may be the 4th largest city in the US, we are 10th in market size. Your usual suspects take up the first three: New York, LA and Chicago. After those three are Philadelphia (which it's market includes most of Eastern PA and much of New Jersey. Next would Dallas-Fort Worthless (Sorry Frog ) which their market includes three legitimate cities. After that is San Francisco/Oakland. Again the combining of multiple cities.

How is it that the second largest city in Texas and 7th largest city in the US (San Antonio) is ranked 37th tv markets?
I got your point Bill. What I want to say is that if we become regular appearance team in playoffs, we will get more national and international exposure and fan base will grow with it. I am doing my part here in Japan. I am telling(Not asking) my friends to watch the Texans at least once. But when you are not winning, they just don't watch anymore.

Please Win Texans!!!
Old 04-12-2011   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 378037 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Why is that??
TV programming is all about trying to capitalize on subjects that the public wants to see. And at the end of the day, the Texans are not a compelling subject to cover with just one winning season in franchise history. Nobody wants to watch boring, sucktastic football...outside of the team's fanbase, of course.
Old 04-12-2011   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217952 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I got your point Bill. What I want to say is that if we become regular appearance team in playoffs, we will get more national and international exposure and fan base will grow with it. I am doing my part here in Japan. I am telling(Not asking) my friends to watch the Texans at least once. But when you are not winning, they just don't watch anymore.

Please Win Texans!!!
TB explained it right .... and the image helps show his point.

Sure they will get more coverage if they win but it wont change the market size .... Just the exposure.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #12
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30074 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We are 10th in market size, which is still pretty good sized. You have to understand, Houston's market is essentially the city of Houston and the suburbs surrounding it. Other markets i.e. Philly or Washington DC and Baltimore overlap one another and extend into New Jersey and Virginia. Dallas (aka DFW) Dallas, Fort Worth AND Arlington in between, are ALL considered 1 market. San Francisco and Oakland are considered one market. LA's market extends all the way south until, well it turns into San Diego's market (ranked 28th).

Pittsburgh ranks 23rd in terms of market size.

This density map illustrates a lot:

You are 100 percent correct, my friend. Houston is twice the size of Dallas, but Dallas-Ft. Worth is almost twice the size of Metro Houston.

Another example is Norfolk and Virginia Beach, Virginia. Those two cities are right next to each other, and have like 2 million people. That's a huge market for a major sports team. But they won't ever get one, because the Redskins have claimed that market. Thus, making Washington, D.C. a larger television market.

It's also one reason why, although Texas could support a third NFL team, it will never, ever, ever happen.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #13
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
You are 100 percent correct, my friend. Houston is twice the size of Dallas, but Dallas-Ft. Worth is almost twice the size of Metro Houston.

Another example is Norfolk and Virginia Beach, Virginia. Those two cities are right next to each other, and have like 2 million people. That's a huge market for a major sports team. But they won't ever get one, because the Redskins have claimed that market. Thus, making Washington, D.C. a larger television market.

It's also one reason why, although Texas could support a third NFL team, it will never, ever, ever happen.
You know, the owner of the Saints made a big push to move that team to San Antonio or LA just after hurricane Katrina, right?
Old 04-12-2011   #14
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

We are the 10th richest sports franchise in the WORLD.
Must mean that we fans from a small area are avid enough to be "spreading the wealth" to those in much more need........like McNair. But we all know that Houston fans suck.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
We are the 10th richest sports franchise in the WORLD.
Must mean that we fans from a small area are avid enough to be "spreading the wealth" to those in much more need........like McNair. But we all know that Houston fans suck.
You should've listened to the interview with Earl and Bum today on 1560... Lotsa love for Houston fans, the city and the passion that we reciprocated to those guys (amongst many others as well).

Actually, I think they have it up on Podcast on 1560 and/or TravisRodgersNow.com -or- Sporting News Radio.

As a one time Aggie (once an Aggie, always an Aggie), Gig'em Earl and Bum!!!
Old 04-12-2011   #16
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post

Wait, what? No it's not. There is only like a 300K difference between Metro Houston and Dallas-Fort Worth (basically, the population of the City of Arlington). And both places are at about 6M each, so that 300K difference is hardly noticeable, in the grand scheme of things. City limit boundaries mean nothing when determining market size. If that was the case, then San Antonio would be a top ten market. Instead, it's in the late 20s or early 30s.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #17
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217952 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You should've listened to the interview with Earl and Bum today on 1560... Lotsa love for Houston fans, the city and the passion that we reciprocated to those guys (amongst many others as well).

Actually, I think they have it up on Podcast on 1560 and/or TravisRodgersNow.com -or- Sporting News Radio.

As a one time Aggie (once an Aggie, always an Aggie), Gig'em Earl and Bum!!!
Those were the good times to be a Football fan in Houston .... damn if they didnt end in failure.

**** **** **** **** I hate the ****ing Pittsburgh ****ing Steelers. I hate them more than the ****ing Yankees , more than a ****ing Yankee's ****ing Redsocks game. I hate them more than the ****ing Jazz & the ****ing Lakers and the ****ing Boston Celtics too.

Did I mention I hate the ****ing Pittsburgh ****ing Steelers?

...... Still luv ya blue.

Only some of those *'s , were F-Bombs. For the rest , use your imagination.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #18
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
TB explained it right .... and the image helps show his point.

Sure they will get more coverage if they win but it wont change the market size .... Just the exposure.
I think, Aussie's original question is why we don't get more coverage from ESPN and NFL network. Now, geographic size(population density) of the market is what Bill posted(nice job Bill). But, market can fluctuate by popularity of the team.(If you look the Texans as a product) I believe, The Oilers (Luv ya Blue era) had more fans than Texans and we had more follower in Texas(outside of Houston market) if I recall right. (I used live in Houston during this era)

Go Texans!!!
Old 04-12-2011   #19
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think, Aussie's original question is why we don't get more coverage from ESPN and NFL network. Now, geographic size(population density) of the market is what Bill posted(nice job Bill). But, market can fluctuate by popularity of the team.(If you look the Texans as a product) I believe, The Oilers (Luv ya Blue era) had more fans than Texans and we had more follower in Texas(outside of Houston market) if I recall right. (I used live in Houston during this era)

Go Texans!!!
The name of the team also helps. The name "Texans" is just too local to really catch on outside of the state, IMO. You never know. Maybe if the team has some success, it'll be different.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #20
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
The name of the team also helps. The name "Texans" is just too local to really catch on outside of the state, IMO. You never know. Maybe if the team has some success, it'll be different.
Yes, you are right. The naming is very important however, when you started to hear often enough(like you mention "success"). People can get used to the name.

Personally, good naming or not, I am just glad that we have NFL team in Houston. Because, I love Houston.

Go Texans!!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read