Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-11-2011   #1
RT22
Veteran

Rep Power: 3883 RT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I have some 3-4 OLB Questions for the Texans?

What type do you believe we are looking for in the draft? SOLB? WOLB? Is Barwin a WOLB? How does Wade plan to utilize his OLBs? Is one more of a pass rusher and the other a run stuffer and cover guy? Are both up the field rushers with no other responsibilities? Thanks RT22
RT22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #2
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I have some 3-4 OLB Questions for the Texans?

1. I believe that we're looking for an explosive pass rusher at WOLB in the 1st or 2nd round.
2. I see Barwin as a SOLB to do everything; play the run, pass coverage, and pass rush.
3. I think Wade wants his WOLB to be primarily a pass rush LB'r and play the run with occasional pass coverage responsibilities. I think the SOLB primary responsibility is to play the run, pass coverage, and occasionally pass rush.

This is how I see it anyway.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

It would be foolish to even include Barwin at this point until he can re-prove himself, sad but true.

Wade will get together with Texan scouts, Rick & Gary then compile a ranking of each OLB & grade them how well they fit his system.

I magine they will overlay OLB's prospects on top of a Big Board then to assess value @ each draft selection.

Ideally they need to identify at least two who fit both need & value parameters. That one has prototypical size (will use Demarcus Ware comp) in this draft #1 might be Aldon Smith, the other a speed demon with explosive first step & non stop motor like Dontay Moch.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #4
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
It would be foolish to even include Barwin at this point until he can re-prove himself, sad but true.

Wade will get together with Texan scouts, Rick & Gary then compile a ranking of each OLB & grade them how well they fit his system.

I magine they will overlay OLB's prospects on top of a Big Board then to assess value @ each draft selection.

Ideally they need to identify at least two who fit both need & value parameters. That one has prototypical size (will use Demarcus Ware comp) in this draft #1 might be Aldon Smith, the other a speed demon with explosive first step & non stop motor like Dontay Moch.

They should be looking for 2 OLB's within rds 1-4. Anything they get from Barwin this season should be considered a bonus.

They shouldn't be counting on Barwin like they did Spencer a few yrs ago.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #5
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
They should be looking for 2 OLB's within rds 1-4. Anything they get from Barwin this season should be considered a bonus.

When I first read that you think we need two OLB in the first 4 rounds I was a little bit skeptical but the more I think about it I think your right.

I could live with the whole draft being on the D side of the ball.

In essence we have Tate and Holliday as draft picks on the O side given they did not contribute at all last year due to injuries.
Old 04-12-2011   #6
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90635 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
When I first read that you think we need two OLB in the first 4 rounds I was a little bit skeptical but the more I think about it I think your right.

And as far as i'm concerned 2 picks in the first 4 rounds have to bolster the secondary.

1 cornerback
1 safety
2 olbs

with free agent additions to :

cornerback
nose tackle
wide reciever
Old 04-15-2011   #7
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
And as far as i'm concerned 2 picks in the first 4 rounds have to bolster the secondary.

1 cornerback
1 safety
2 olbs

cornerback
nose tackle
wide reciever
Yeh because starting a rookie and a second year CB last year worked out real well right? We need experience in the backfield and young talent that can get to the QB up front. Otherwise
Old 04-15-2011   #8
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

Absolutely right! But what you and others seem to be forgetting is Cushing might not ever be the player he was pre piss test. What about Demeco? will he be the same?

Now lets look at the DL. Will Mario accept his role? If he gets off to a slow start will he let it get in his head? Will Smith accept his role? He wanted out of Arizona because he didnt want to play in a 3/4. Both have stated publicly that they have reservations about it. After them does anyone currently on the roster even look remotely close to being an effective 5 tech? DT, nothing even needs to be said here.

This draft should be used entirely on BPA on the front seven of D with FA to fill in the blanks.
Old 04-16-2011   #9
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1 cornerback
1 safety
2 olbs

cornerback
nose tackle
wide reciever
I would like for us to see ILB by draft or FA as well. An insurance plan for DeMeco's position.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011   #10
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90635 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Yeh because starting a rookie and a second year CB last year worked out real well right?

you know what works even better? passing on secondary talent in the draft because you think we "might" be able to lure quality free agents to the secondary here.

now that you mention it, rookies are pretty much a waste of time. lets just skip the draft.

Old 04-16-2011   #11
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
you know what works even better? passing on secondary talent in the draft because you think we "might" be able to lure quality free agents to the secondary here.

now that you mention it, rookies are pretty much a waste of time. lets just skip the draft.

FA's go where the money is. To think drafting and starting another rookie or two in our secondary is the way to go is .
Old 04-16-2011   #12
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
FA's go where the money is.
With the salary cap most teams can only offer relatively similiar money. Good FA's then go where they have a chance to win a championship. The next tier go where they think they will start and earn their next bigger pay check.
Old 04-16-2011   #13
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
FA's go where the money is.
Thankfully the Texans have a reputation of spending money in free agency?

Your "cross your fingers and hope" approach isn't gonna accomplish squat. The Texans need to address some needs in the draft and suppliment what they cant draft later in free agency.
Old 04-16-2011   #14
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Thankfully the Texans have a reputation of spending money in free agency?

Your "cross your fingers and hope" approach isn't gonna accomplish squat. The Texans need to address some needs in the draft and suppliment what they cant draft later in free agency.
WTF are you talking about? Thats (bolded) exactly what Im saying to do. I simply think its ****ing retarded to even consider using a high pick on another CB and have him start and get torched like Jackson did last year. Those high picks need to be used on players that can get to the QB.

I can only hope and prey that Phillips has more football sense than to go this route. If he does, you'll be happy because you were right........... but not for long. It wont make a shit if we get Asomo (sp) if we cant get pressure on the QB.

You give good NFL QB's time and they will pick anyone apart. Green Bay wouldn't of won the Super Bowl if it wasn't for the pressure they put on opposing QB's all year. But you probably think it was their CB's that caused all that pressure with their great coverage.
Old 04-16-2011   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is our solution. Trade down & select BPA (OLB/CB) then with xtra ammo/pick move back up to select BPA opposite of what you selected w/first pick (CB/OLB) think we're all making it harder than it really is, it's not rocket science.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011   #16
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Here is our solution. Trade down & select BPA (OLB/CB) then with xtra ammo/pick move back up to select BPA opposite of what you selected w/first pick (CB/OLB) think we're all making it harder than it really is, it's not rocket science.
I think you are making trading up and down easier than it is.
Old 04-17-2011   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I think you are making trading up and down easier than it is.
It's not hard. If you know what you're doing.

Sincerely,
Bill Belichick
Old 04-17-2011   #18
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

I would love to know what Wade thinks about Mark Anderson. It wasn't that long ago that Steve Foley, one of our very own rejects, had a 10 sack season under Phillips. Anderson is that type of athlete and has more of a history of sacking QBs than Foley ever did.
Old 04-18-2011   #19
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
WTF are you talking about? Thats (bolded) exactly what Im saying to do. I simply think its ****ing retarded to even consider using a high pick on another CB and have him start and get torched like Jackson did last year.
What your suggesting is that we pass on secondary talent in the draft with no guarantte we can aquire players in free agency. What i'm proposing is drafting some secondary talent (specifically a CB and a SS that have the potential to start) and then aquiring free agents.

Quote:
It wont make a shit if we get Asomo (sp) if we cant get pressure on the QB.
2 problems i see here:

#1 We're not gonna get Asomaugh (dont hold your breath or you'll have written your last post)
#2 Sometimes secondarys suck because they suck and it has nothing to do with the front 7 getting pressure. If you watch a game like the Texans vs. Eagles you'll see precisley what i mean.

Quote:
You give good NFL QB's time and they will pick anyone apart.
And if you can't cover recievers they do the same (refer to all 16 Texans games last year for evidence). I guess some "mystery man" in free agency will magically come here and save our secondary. You must know him personally to be so sure he'll come to the Texans?

You may wanna take a look at some of the secondary talent that was available in free agency. Some of those names have since been franchised or tendered.
Old 04-19-2011   #20
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
What your suggesting is that we pass on secondary talent in the draft with no guarantte we can aquire players in free agency. What i'm proposing is drafting some secondary talent (specifically a CB and a SS that have the potential to start) and then aquiring free agents.

2 problems i see here:

#1 We're not gonna get Asomaugh (dont hold your breath or you'll have written your last post)
#2 Sometimes secondarys suck because they suck and it has nothing to do with the front 7 getting pressure. If you watch a game like the Texans vs. Eagles you'll see precisley what i mean.

And if you can't cover recievers they do the same (refer to all 16 Texans games last year for evidence). I guess some "mystery man" in free agency will magically come here and save our secondary. You must know him personally to be so sure he'll come to the Texans?

You may wanna take a look at some of the secondary talent that was available in free agency. Some of those names have since been franchised or tendered.
My points

There are only a select few CB's in the NFL that can really cover a good WR for more than a few seconds.

Having a good pass rush will cover up some deficiencies in the secondary,. No matter how good a secondary is, it will get burned if you cant get pressure on the QB.

If you make a QB hurry to throw the ball, the chances that he makes a errant throw tenfold.

I know we aren't likely to get Asoma, my point was that even he will get burned if he has to cover a good WR to long.

You may want to take a look at the secondary that will be available in this draft. they pretty much suck. Other than the top two (who are overrated IMO) none are better prospects than Jackson was a year ago. If your plan is to start a rookie from this pool then you are looking at a repeat of what happened last year.

This draft is deep in front seven guys and that is a huge need for this team. In fact one could argue that it is just as big a need as the secondary.

DE!
Mario - never played in a 3/4 has voiced concern about how he will fit.

Smith - played in a 3/4 in Arizona and hated it so much he left. Has also voiced his concerns about playing in another 3/4.

backups? You tell me.

DT!
Mitchell - a undersized second year player that is penciled in as the starter right now. He is the guy that is supposed to keep interior Linemen off our Middle LB's? Give me a break.

Cody - really? seriously?

ILB!
Ryans - coming off a major year ending injury. If and I say IF he is healthy he should be ok.

Cushing - they have him penciled in at MLB. He looked like shit in the middle last year when he took over for Ryans. Hell he looked like crap when they moved him back to the outside other than one game. I think we all know he played beyond his true ability his rookie season. Maybe if we get him a wizinator.

Backups?

Sharpton - I actually think he may have a chance. But who knows? Has he ever played in a 3/4?

Who else is there?

OLB!

Barwin - insert picture here of him sitting on the field last year with his foot facing the wrong way. Now factor in that he has never played in a 3/4 before and only really has a few year in all of his football playing career playing defense at all.

Jamison - he might end up ok but.......

Backups? Again who else is there?

Even if by a miracle we land Asoma (not saying we will) we will get torched all day every Sunday with that front seven.

Right now we have a crappy secondary with a crappy front seven. Give me a good pass rush with an average secondary over a crappy pass rush with a really good secondary any day.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read