Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-09-2011   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Time might be near for Colts to draft a quarterback

The inevitable, although maybe not in the next year or so, is something that the Colts can't ignore nor fail to address early.

Quote:
With Manning entering 14th season, time might be drawing near to find his eventual successor

If the time isn't right for the Indianapolis Colts to seriously address a position occupied by a future Hall of Famer, that time is drawing near.

Team vice chairman Bill Polian conceded earlier this week he "couldn't dismiss" the possibility of looking for a quarterback during the April 28-30 draft.

That's been the domain of Peyton Manning since the Colts selected him with the first pick of the 1998 draft. He is the NFL's only four-time MVP, an 11-time Pro Bowl selection, was MVP of the team's Super Bowl XLI win over the Chicago Bears and has started all 227 games, including the playoffs, since '98.

But there's no denying Manning, 35, is closer to the end than the beginning of his record-breaking career. He is entering his 14th season.

The Colts reportedly put Nevada quarterback Colin Kaepernick through a private workout Friday in Reno. Earlier this week, coach Jim Caldwell and general manager Chris Polian oversaw a private workout with TCU quarterback Andy Dalton.

The team has six picks in the draft, including No. 22 overall. Most draft analysts rate Kaepernick and Dalton as second- to fourth-round prospects.

The only other quarterback on the Colts roster is Curtis Painter, who has served as Manning's backup since being chosen in the sixth round of the 2009 draft.

"Quarterback's an issue, probably not a front-burner issue, but an issue nonetheless because while Peyton's not at the end of his career, it's approaching faster than it has in the past," Polian said. "I wouldn't rule that out in the right situation."

The prevailing question is: How soon should the process of acquiring Manning's eventual successor and grooming him begin? "You don't know," Polian said, "but you know it's sometime soon. You begin to think about it."

So, might the Colts be in the market for a Manning successor or backup in the draft?

"I don't know that you're going to find his eventual replacement drafting 22nd," Polian said. "And whether or not you would use that choice on a quarterback in an unsettled labor situation, where you don't know what kind of contract that's going to be signed, is another issue.

"That said, I don't think you can dismiss it."

The Green Bay Packers faced a similar dilemma in 2005. Brett Favre was 35 and heading into his 15th season. The Packers, unsure how much longer Favre might play, selected Aaron Rodgers with the 24th pick in the draft.

The grooming process lasted longer than expected. Rodgers appeared in just seven games and attempted only 59 passes in his first three seasons.

It's assumed Manning will finish his career with the Colts, but his future remains unsettled. His contract expired at the end of the 2010 season and the team used the "exclusive franchise" tag to keep him from hitting the open market. That guarantees Manning a one-year, $23.1 million contract, but the former NFL Players Association contends the ability of teams to use the franchise and transition tags ended when the collective bargaining agreement expired last month.

Owner Jim Irsay said last month he fully anticipates the franchise tag to remain valid.

"I have never seen a situation where the tag is in jeopardy," he said while reiterating his commitment to make Manning the highest-paid player in NFL history, surpassing the $18 million-a-year extension the New England Patriots gave quarterback Tom Brady in September.
INDYSTAR
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011   #2
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Time might be near for Colts to draft a quarterback

Future events may also be influenced by a recent revelation.

A secret no more: Fulmer confirms Manning twins
Old 04-09-2011   #3
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 15877 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Isn't this the most difficult thing for a team to accomplish? Replacing a star quarterback that was the cornerstone of your franchise has set many teams backwards (e.g. 49ers).

Might be good for the Texans!
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

I'm betting Manning starts until he is at least 40. Smart QB's last longer than athletic ones. While I hope they spend a high pick on a replacement I think the Colts would be foolish to do it before he is 39.
Old 04-09-2011   #5
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Along with Elway I rate Manning the greatest QB ever, but hate that the Texans get stuck having to face him twice a year, every year.
Surely he gets injured at some point and begins to miss some time, but it probably won't be from game-day contact because the refs are now almost to the point where they suspend a defender for half the seaon if he looks cross-ways at Peyton. Maybe he'll twist an ankle running to the sidelines ?
It always interested me how the refs let another old guy QB icon, Brett Farve, get knocked around pretty good without many flags, but Manning gets max protection from them ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011   #6
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I am not sure if Peyton really decline as much as I am sure that injuries kept the Colts out of the playoffs last season which happens to be the case with most teams in the league no doubt.
Old 04-09-2011   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Along with Elway I rate Manning the greatest QB ever, but hate that the Texans get stuck having to face him twice a year, every year.
Surely he gets injured at some point and begins to miss some time, but it probably won't be from game-day contact because the refs are now almost to the point where they suspend a defender for half the seaon if he looks cross-ways at Peyton. Maybe he'll twist an ankle running to the sidelines ?
It always interested me how the refs let another old guy QB icon, Brett Farve, get knocked around pretty good without many flags, but Manning gets max protection from them ?
If you scramble you don't get calls. If you slide you do. It ain't fair but it is what it is.

And Roger Staubach was the greatest QB in history - he just shortened his career by six years serving his country (and by several more years taking hits like a RB while being Rodger the Dodger much to Landry's chagrin - many of Landry's most animated moments were aimed at Staubach for not sliding). If for nothing else, the Cowboys should be lauded for their patience in waiting for him.
Old 04-09-2011   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I am not sure if Peyton really decline as much as I am sure that injuries kept the Colts out of the playoffs last season which happens to be the case with most teams in the league no doubt.
?

The Colts were in the playoffs last year. They lost in the first round to the Jets and might have gone further if they had been healthier, but they were there.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
?

The Colts were in the playoffs last year. They lost in the first round to the Jets and might have gone further if they had been healthier, but they were there.
...........and WE WEREN'T!
Old 04-09-2011   #10
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
And Roger Staubach was the greatest QB in history
Staubach ? Maybe the first time ever I've even heard/seen that name mentioned/appear in the same conversation with all-time greats Elway & Manning ? The altitude would surely give Staubach a headache.
Old 04-09-2011   #11
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

If I were the Colts I would not spend a late first on a QB in this draft...

I think Manning still has a good amount of time left...I think that he could probably play into his 40's if he wanted to...His playing style doesn't really require young legs.

But besides that, If I were them I'd be more inclined to let Curtis Painter get his crack at it...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011   #12
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
?

That is what I ment. My mistake.
Old 04-09-2011   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I highly suggest the Colts get an experienced QB like David Carr.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011   #14
gary
Hall of Fame

I honestly would like to see Peyton receive another ring or two before he retires just because I enjoy seeing them do what they do best.
Old 04-09-2011   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Staubach ? Maybe the first time ever I've even heard/seen that name mentioned/appear in the same conversation with all-time greats Elway & Manning ? The altitude would surely give Staubach a headache.
I've seen Staubach mentioned on many of the all time lists. Here is only one............published in 2008. Their description of Staubach's history pretty much makes the case.

The definitive list: Top 10 NFL quarterbacks

Quote:
ROGER STAUBACH (Dallas, 1969-79)

Best season (1971): 126 for 211 (59.7%), 1,882 yards, 8.9 YPA, 15 TD, 4 INT, 104.8 passer rating
Career: 1,685 for 2,958 (57.0%), 22,700 yards, 7.7 YPA, 153 TD, 109 INT, 83.4 passer rating
Championships: 1971, 1977
Overview: Roger the Dodger did not become a fulltime NFL quarterback until the 1971 season – at age 29! One wonders what he might have done had he not spent five years in the service after his Heisman-winning 1963 season at Navy and two years sitting behind Craig Morton in Dallas.

Finally given a chance, he quickly proved to be a player for the ages. He took a Dallas club that “couldn’t win the big game” (five crushing playoff losses in five straight seasons, including three in NFL championship games or the Super Bowl) and turned it into a champion and “America’s Team” in his first full year at the helm.

In that 1971 season he played something of a caretaker role, attempting just 211 passes for 1,882 yards, but he tossed 15 TDs to just 4 INTs, averaged an astounding 8.9 YPA and posted a passer rating of 104.8, the second highest of the Dead Ball Era. It’s a truly remarkable number considering the season in which he did it. The league-wide passer rating in 1971 was just 62.2 – the second-lowest league-wide rating since 1956. Staubach shattered the standards of the era in his first full year playing NFL football – or football of any kind since 1963.

He also ended the 1971 season with an MVP performance in Super Bowl VI (a dominating 24-3 win over the Dolphins, who would not lose again until 1973) while placing himself high up on the pigskin pantheon of heroes who have defined America’s Team.

Staubach wasn’t quite done: he added passer-rating titles in 1973, 1978 and 1979, and another Super Bowl title in 1977. He’s one Jackie Smith dropped pass away from a third championship ring – in a game which might have earned Staubach and the Cowboys, not the Steelers, the title of team of the decade in the 1970s.

He also was a great scrambler and ballcarrier who rushed for 20 scores and 2,264 yards on 410 attempts. Most impressive: he played all but two years of his career in the depths of the Dead Ball Era, yet still racked up a career passer rating of 83.4 – No. 1 all time among pre-1980 quarterbacks.

Not bad for a guy who spent five years in the Navy during Vietnam.
For those of you not familiar with the DEAD BALL ERA, you might find this link somewhat interesting. LINK
Old 04-09-2011   #16
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 11679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I honestly would like to see Peyton receive another ring or two before he retires just because I enjoy seeing them do what they do best.

Say it ain't so, Gary.
Old 04-09-2011   #17
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I've seen Staubach mentioned on many of the all time lists. Here is only one............published in 2008. Their description of Staubach's history pretty much makes the case.

The definitive list: Top 10 NFL quarterbacks

For those of you not familiar with the DEAD BALL ERA, you might find this link somewhat interesting. LINK
You did indeed find a list with Staubachs name on it CND, but a top 10 QB list without the name of John Elway ? C'mon man, how real can that list be ?
Old 04-09-2011   #18
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You did indeed find a list with Staubachs name on it CND, but a top 10 QB list without the name of John Elway ? C'mon man, how real can that list be ?
Well here's a list with both players' names on it.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/t...bs-of-all-time
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Playoffs and SBs?........Staubach in 9 years of starting vs. Manning in 13 years of starting?............and Staubach didn't have the privilege of facing the pitifull Texans twice a year!
Old 04-09-2011   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Just coincidentally was listening to EmDiggy for the interview with Barwin and heard his ALL TIME TOP 10 QBS.......#5 Staubach. http://www.footballgameplan.com/fbgp-radio

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read