Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-15-2005   #1
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 26824 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected
Default T.O. Contract

Click

And away we goooooooooooooooooooooooo....

"This is not about me being greedy or selfish," Owens told The Philadelphia Inquirer for Thursday's editions. "I was called selfish for trying to come back and play in the Super Bowl. I just want people to think about what they're hearing from all these reports about me being greedy. Just take a moment and look at my stature in the game."

I think it would awesome if they traded him to Baltimore. So does he make it to camp or not? I say no.
Txn_in_Oki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005   #2
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

If I were the Eagles management I would not redo his contract. He sure tries hard to convince himself that he's not "greedy" doesn't he? When the reality is he's just that.....I can't stomach the guy myself. I don't see them trading him either.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005   #3
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

So originally Owens' agent goofs up by not filing the proper paperwork in time for him to become a free agent.

San Francisco and Baltimore then work out a trade that would send Owens away from the 49ers (and Jeff Garcia). But this isn't good enough because Owens wants to go to Philly. So he protests the trade (even though he doesn't have a leg to stand on because he's not a free agent).

The league then decides that they will allow Owens to be traded to the team of his choice (Philly) and that compensation will be spread among the 49ers and Ravens.

After being traded to the Eagles (the team he wanted to join all along), Owens is given a 7 year $49 million contract with a $8.5 million bonus. After one year, Owens wants a new contract because this one was "under poor circumstances".

Nah, not greedy at all.

Fiddy, any questions?
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Why would have been in a poor bargaining position? He had one or two years left on his SF contract. Typically those contracts are very backloaded, hence one of SF's reasons for getting rid of him. If he didn't like the Eagles' offer, he could have just played the contract out and been UFA.
Old 04-15-2005   #5
Boris
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 Boris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVP

He should have been a QB. His need to have the ball on every play would have been resolved. His attitude might have changed too, given the fact that after a loss a WR can say "Wasn't me" whereas QBs learn to take blame even though it may not have been their fault. QBs are humbled often (sacks, ints) & it helps shape their character.
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005   #6
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Fiddy, any questions?
Yeah, I got a question. Why is it wrong for him to want the money??? Pretend that injury last year was career ending, do you think the Eagles would pay him the money this year or release him??? They probably would of released him and he wouldnt get any money he agreed too. I have no problem with any NFL player holding out for a new contract because the second the player cant perform, he is gone.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005   #7
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
Yeah, I got a question. Why is it wrong for him to want the money??? Pretend that injury last year was career ending, do you think the Eagles would pay him the money this year or release him??? They probably would of released him and he wouldnt get any money he agreed too. I have no problem with any NFL player holding out for a new contract because the second the player cant perform, he is gone.
If it's career ending, then Owens gets to take the $8.5 million from the bonus he received on top of everything else he earned and walk off into retirement where his sizeable NFL pension awaits. Say that really slow...$8.5 million dollars.

Is it "wrong" to want more money? I don't believe so. My economics teacher once told me he knew how much money I wanted. "More".

But after everything that's been handed to Owens (his request to have his trade to Baltimore revoked based on nothing but his whining, the $8.5 million bonus he received, etc.), I don't support this one.

Quote:
Lame. Nothing wrong with wanting more money but his act is LAME-O doing this right after his hissy fit last year. I find it hard to believe you back up such a superficial guy. You seem more sensible than that. I don't mind him, but I don't think much of the guy. I find him superficial, self centered and not real mature. I find it almost strange you support him in such a manner.
Fastball...middle of the plate...upper deck.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-17-2005   #8
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

T.O..= Rod Tidwell.... maybe they will have a Jerry Maguire II
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005   #9
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

I am not going to say I agree with this fit hes throwing, but I do think his reasoning is legit. He is easily a top 3 wr, but isn't even the top 10 highest paid wr's. He was the missing link to the Eagle's super bowl puzzle, he is the reason Mcnabb will stick around Philly, and he is the reason the Eagles stuck around in the super bowl with his stellar- but injured play. If you look at his contract and compare it, he isn't making a buttload of money compared to some other contracts, but he's sure making a buttload of plays. He is also putting more butts in the seats at Lincoln Financial Field, so it certainly wouldn't be wrong that hes asking for more money.
Most Improved- Juwan Howard
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I read somewhere about T.O. complaining that "He was lowballed" because of the Ravens deal and his agent couldn't get anything more because that..I can't find where I read/heard it.. either foxsports or espn..

What a crybaby... he should be in Baltimore right now..
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #11
dan7
Veteran

Arrow Contract Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTAWAY
I am not going to say I agree with this fit hes throwing, but I do think his reasoning is legit. He is easily a top 3 wr, but isn't even the top 10 highest paid wr's. He was the missing link to the Eagle's super bowl puzzle, he is the reason Mcnabb will stick around Philly, and he is the reason the Eagles stuck around in the super bowl with his stellar- but injured play. If you look at his contract and compare it, he isn't making a buttload of money compared to some other contracts, but he's sure making a buttload of plays. He is also putting more butts in the seats at Lincoln Financial Field, so it certainly wouldn't be wrong that hes asking for more money.
I disagree...if I were the Eagles Management, I would not redo his contract. People making this much money have no business complaining about their salaries

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read