Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-08-2011   #21
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LZ's Blog Mock 3.0

I could see Dareus going #1. He's probably my favorite in the draft. Carolina has to be smitten with a QB and believe said QB is going to be the Franchise signal caller in order to take one #1 overall - you don't look for a marginal upgrade at that position. Dareus is arguably the best player in the draft.

Julio Jones on our team would be amazing. We'd have some great weopons with Andre, Julio, Daniels and Foster. Jacoby and Walter would see snaps too. Julio fits the type of WR Kubiak likes and reminds me a lot of AJ.

As much has been said about our Offense, we're not elite by any means. Sure we get a lot of yardage but will people please stop using that as the measuring stick?? We're not a top 3 offense in the league... not with our lack of TDs.

We're barely cracking the Top 10 in scoring offense. And on top of that, we're middle of the pack in receiving TDs. Julio would give us another weapon, particularly in the Red Zone for scoring opportunities.

I'd love Julio and Brooks. But I don't think Reed lasts to our selection. I think he'd be an excellent excellent OLB for us and would support us trading up with NE at 28 if he's still available.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #22
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I agree we need D help, but you can't take substandard players in the top half of the draft and expect to get better.
First, thanks for agreeing with me that the Texans defense needs help. I thought I was all alone on that in this thread. I agree with you that the Texans can't take substandard players (Amobi Okoye, Kareem Jackson) in the 1st round. What I disagree with is that there will only be substandard defensive players available with the 11th selection in the 2011 draft. That Julio Jones is head and shoulders above any defensive player that might be available is a myth created by draft gurus and draftniks.
Old 04-08-2011   #23
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I've said this before, But if I am the Texans I would really think about trading up this year. Grab an elite defensive talent.

I don't care if we have to give up a second/third/ or fourth round pick and/or a couple players to do so. The Texans need an impact player on defense.

Filling our holes with a bunch of 2nd-4th round picks doesn't excite me at all. Could you imagine starting a rookie at corner, maybe NT, OLB, AND one or two of the safety spots? That doesn't seem like the right solution IMHO.

I'm more inclined to jump up for a stud (coughVonMillercough), Move Quinn to FS and draft a mid round corner prospect. I am actually ok with Nolan as SS and Quinn at FS. I think they would be a better tandem than what we had last year.

As for corner...that likely isn't going to get "fixed" with a player in the draft anyways. I don't think Kareem is as bad as he looked last year and I think Jason Allen could be good depth/competition there. If there is a FA I would loot at NT and CB. We wouldn't NEED spectacular players there, just solid ones who could get the job done.

I honestly think that the defense will be improved under Wade regardless. But picking one of these second or third tier OLB prospects and trying to drafting a couple DB prospects in the 2nd/3rd round just doesn't excite me at all.

As far as Julio goes, I'd take him if he was on the board at 11 and none of the top defensive prospects fell to us.

I can't say it enough, but none of these second tier OLB prospects excites me as being our pick at 11. I think we'd be better served by taking a potential impact player.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #24
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

@ Rey - I wouldnt mind seeing them move up this year. Not one bit.

I'd package this years #11 pick and next years #1 (and maybe another pick) to move up to #3 and get Von Miller.

Dont want to give up next years #1? Why not , both coach and GM are on the hotseat. Its win now or else. They wont be here to deal with next years draft if they dont get better on that side of the ball in a hurry. If ever there was a time for a staff to mortgage the future , this is it.

I dont see one of the elite defensive talents being available at #11 unless by some miracle two QB's , two WR's and an OT are taken ahead of them. I just cant see that happening with this crop of players.

The other scenario I wouldnt mind is moving back to around 17 or so getting a top half of the second round pick as compensation. Then taking Taylor at DT , one of the top ranked safety's and an OLB with the three picks in the first two rounds.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #25
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
The other scenario I wouldnt mind is moving back to around 17 or so getting a top half of the second round pick as compensation. Then taking Taylor at DT , one of the top ranked safety's and an OLB with the three picks in the first two rounds.
I would be o.k with that scenario. I would not be thrilled about the upcoming season, but I'd hope those players would bode well for our future plans.

I'm just not thrilled with relying on a mid-late first rounder and a bunch of mid rd rookies to come in and be counted on as starters...especially with the shortned off-season...

I think moves like that work for the Pats because they already have established talent and a good coaching staff on both sides of the ball. There is not one single player on our defense last year that showed up game in and game out. Not one.

We need someone to be a stud and make a tangible impact in a great majority of the games...

Now I'm not saying that a player like that can't be found at 11 or in the second or third round...What I'm saying is that I'm sold on Miller. Of course it's just my opinion, but I think that's the way to go. We need a stud, and I think he'd make our defense a lot better...
Old 04-08-2011   #26
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I've said this before, But if I am the Texans I would really think about trading up this year. Grab an elite defensive talent.

I don't care if we have to give up a second/third/ or fourth round pick and/or a couple players to do so. The Texans need an impact player on defense.

Filling our holes with a bunch of 2nd-4th round picks doesn't excite me at all. Could you imagine starting a rookie at corner, maybe NT, OLB, AND one or two of the safety spots? That doesn't seem like the right solution IMHO.

I'm more inclined to jump up for a stud (coughVonMillercough), Move Quinn to FS and draft a mid round corner prospect. I am actually ok with Nolan as SS and Quinn at FS. I think they would be a better tandem than what we had last year.

As for corner...that likely isn't going to get "fixed" with a player in the draft anyways. I don't think Kareem is as bad as he looked last year and I think Jason Allen could be good depth/competition there. If there is a FA I would loot at NT and CB. We wouldn't NEED spectacular players there, just solid ones who could get the job done.

I honestly think that the defense will be improved under Wade regardless. But picking one of these second or third tier OLB prospects and trying to drafting a couple DB prospects in the 2nd/3rd round just doesn't excite me at all.

As far as Julio goes, I'd take him if he was on the board at 11 and none of the top defensive prospects fell to us.

I can't say it enough, but none of these second tier OLB prospects excites me as being our pick at 11. I think we'd be better served by taking a potential impact player.
I bet that's exactly what you'll see fielded. JMHO

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #27
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 62918 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd package this years #11 pick and next years #1 (and maybe another pick) to move up to #3 and get Von Miller.
I would not want to give up the house for Miller. I don't think he is a sure thing.

If Dareus starts to fall I would be all over it like white on rice.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-08-2011   #28
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I would be o.k with that scenario. I would not be thrilled about the upcoming season, but I'd hope those players would bode well for our future plans.

I'm just not thrilled with relying on a mid-late first rounder and a bunch of mid rd rookies to come in and be counted on as starters...especially with the shortned off-season...

I think moves like that work for the Pats because they already have established talent and a good coaching staff on both sides of the ball. There is not one single player on our defense last year that showed up game in and game out. Not one.

We need someone to be a stud and make a tangible impact in a great majority of the games...

Now I'm not saying that a player like that can't be found at 11 or in the second or third round...What I'm saying is that I'm sold on Miller. Of course it's just my opinion, but I think that's the way to go. We need a stud, and I think he'd make our defense a lot better...
I am too .... no two ways about it. If I had the #1 overall I would probably use it on him crazy as it might be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I would not want to give up the house for Miller. I don't think he is a sure thing.

If Dareus starts to fall I would be all over it like white on rice.
Miller is the guy in this draft who I think would make the biggest impact on the defense as a whole. He and Peterson are my top two players at any position in this draft - Its debatable as to who's better between the top two DT's - Fairley and Dareus. Phil Taylor may be as good as either of them and could be had much later in the round.

Peterson and Miller grade out better than any other players at their respective positions with Peterson being at the top of my board followed by Miller and Bowers.

As for giving up the house , we have to consider one thing and I explained it in my last post.

If they dont win this coming season - they wont be here to worry about the next draft. Its win or go home for Smith and Kubiak , tell me why they wouldnt give up a future pick.

Old 04-08-2011   #29
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am too .... no two ways about it. If I had the #1 overall I would probably use it on him crazy as it might be.

Miller is the guy in this draft who I think would make the biggest impact on the defense as a whole. He and Peterson are my top two players at any position in this draft - Its debatable as to who's better between the top two DT's - Fairley and Dareus. Phil Taylor may be as good as either of them and could be had much later in the round.

Peterson and Miller grade out better than any other players at their respective positions with Peterson being at the top of my board followed by Miller and Bowers.

As for giving up the house , we have to consider one thing and I explained it in my last post.

If they dont win this coming season - they wont be here to worry about the next draft. Its win or go home for Smith and Kubiak , tell me why they wouldnt give up a future pick.
refresh me, what did Texas do last season

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #30
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
refresh me, what did Texas do last season
What does Texas have to do with this ? ..... but yeah , they had their worst season since (without looking) Mack Brown became coach.

Old 04-09-2011   #31
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I bet that's exactly what you'll see fielded. JMHO
I would not be shocked or terribly upset with that combo. But I'd like for them to bring in someone solid to push both of them if not take the spot.

Lots of holes to fill on defense. We are not going to get 5-7 new players (via FA or the draft) to come in and start.

I think the trade down stuff is nice when you have established talent already, but on defense we don't have much of that. We need difference makers in an awful way. Relying on a bunch of rookies to come in and start for us in a year with a shortened off-season just screams FAIL to me.
Old 04-10-2011   #32
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Most feel that an OLB like Von Miller would would be the highest impact player for our D. I'd love to have him. However, I feel that the highest long term impact player we need is a DT. I'm not at all convinced that we have that large strong fast DT or the smaller, uber-strong and very fast DT characteristic of the successful Wade 3-4 D's.

As has already been stated, I would rather see Jones at #11 than another plug and play and hope player.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011   #33
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Bowers, Watt, or Jordan would all make me less upset at the draft pick than Julio Jones. Unless Julio Jones is also going to call offensive plays correctly I don't think he fixes what is fundamentally wrong with the offense.

Here's the quick and easy way to talk yourself out of Julio Jones:

"Did you see our defense last year?"
Old 04-10-2011   #34
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Bowers, Watt, or Jordan would all make me less upset at the draft pick than Julio Jones. Unless Julio Jones is also going to call offensive plays correctly I don't think he fixes what is fundamentally wrong with the offense.

Here's the quick and easy way to talk yourself out of Julio Jones:

"Did you see our defense last year?"
No I didnt , did they ever take the field , I thought I saw one fall down on the sidelines tho.

Old 04-10-2011   #35
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Most feel that an OLB like Von Miller would would be the highest impact player for our D. I'd love to have him. However, I feel that the highest long term impact player we need is a DT. I'm not at all convinced that we have that large strong fast DT or the smaller, uber-strong and very fast DT characteristic of the successful Wade 3-4 D's.

As has already been stated, I would rather see Jones at #11 than another plug and play and hope player.
I just hope the Texans can find a way to add these guys to their team and if they stay put /trade up/down or whatever it doesn't matter to me.

Brooks Reed/ Kendrick Ellis/Davon House/Greg Little, all of these guys have what the Texans as a team have been lacking. (Speed)

I would be very happy fan and if the Texans are active and smart (LOL) this could happen. Or some version of this draft.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011   #36
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 60434 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
@ Rey - I wouldnt mind seeing them move up this year. Not one bit.

Dont want to give up next years #1? Why not , both coach and GM are on the hotseat. Its win now or else. They wont be here to deal with next years draft if they dont get better on that side of the ball in a hurry. If ever there was a time for a staff to mortgage the future , this is it.

I dont see one of the elite defensive talents being available at #11 unless by some miracle two QB's , two WR's and an OT are taken ahead of them. I just cant see that happening with this crop of players.

I would do that and pray that Brandon Harris is there in the 2nd. He has all the tools to be a very good CB.
Old 04-17-2011   #37
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Aside from the fact that I disagree entirely with your point, this scenario isn't all that unlikely. Newton and Gabbert will be top 10 picks. AJ Green and Julio Jones are both likely top 10 picks. One of the OT's from USC and Colorado have a good shot to sneak into the top 10 as well as there is always a premium on OT's (see: Duane Brown and our reach for him because he was the last of the second tier OT's left)
Old 04-17-2011   #38
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 60434 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a very deep draft in our area's of need. If we can't knock a couple out of the park, it's time for a radical regime change. And I've been a Kubiak supporter!
Old 04-18-2011   #39
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 249737 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Based on some intel I've received during the last three weeks, I'm going to take a shot at posting odds on who I think is the most likely Houston Texans at pick No. 11.

Aldon Smith, OLB, Missouri - 3:1
Aldon Smith is said to be the target of the Texans as they like his edge pass rushing ability. Smith is unlikely to go in the first 10 picks so he should be at 11 for the Texans if they are truly interested in him.

Julio Jones, WR, Alabama - 7:1

Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska - 4:1
Amukamara fits a need for the Texans and could easily be there at 11, but something tells me the Texans are going to want to add a veteran at CB as their priority and then add to the position in rounds 2 or 3.

Robert Quinn, OLB, North Carolina - 5:1
I personally believe that Quinn is a better pass rushing prospect than Aldon Smith, but my guess is that most NFL teams agree which is why I think he'll likely go in the top 10. If not, it will be interesting to see if the Texans prefer Quinn to Smith.

J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin - 5:1

Cameron Jordan, DE, Cal - 5:1

Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn - 9:1

Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson - 10:1

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/texansnfl/
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011   #40
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I'd love to have Watt or Bowers.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read