Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-07-2011   #1
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default LZ's Blog Mock 3.0

Dareus @ 1?

And the Texans taking Julio?

We love you here at TT LZ, but you need to get off the meds!
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #2
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LZ's Blog Mock 3.0

Dareus is the player I would take #1.

If Jones is there at 11 I would seriously think hard and long about taking him.

Maybe, LZ and I are on the same meds though.
Old 04-07-2011   #3
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm also on those meds.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #4
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Brooks Reed in the second, is all good to me too.
Old 04-07-2011   #5
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 15483 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see anything wrong with Julio at 11.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #6
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Dareus is the player I would take #1.

If Jones is there at 11 I would seriously think hard and long about taking him.

Maybe, LZ and I are on the same meds though.
With the team looking for starter material at at FS , SS , CB , OLB , and NT (possibly ILB) on the defensive side of the ball , WR is a luxury pick this team just cant afford.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #7
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
With the team looking for starter material at at FS , SS , CB , OLB , and NT (possibly ILB) on the defensive side of the ball , WR is a luxury pick this team just cant afford.
You don't think Jones would have a chance to start and add another dimension to an already potent offense.

There is no safety worth a first rounder and that is our biggest need. Our CB should be better for a year more experience and a good DC.

You don't pass on a great talent for need in the 1st, that is how you end up mediocre.
Old 04-07-2011   #8
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Brooks Reed in the second, is all good to me too.
I'd be thrilled if we got Jones in the first and Reed in the second. That would be two impact players for us that would likely start from day 1.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #9
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't trust any of the guys that will be there @11. I hope they trade back and get another 2nd and a 3-5th.
Old 04-07-2011   #10
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Jones would have a bigger impact on this team than anybody not named Peterson, Miller or Dareus.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I don't trust any of the guys that will be there @11. I hope they trade back and get another 2nd and a 3-5th.
Me too , in an ideal situation they could move back to 17-19 and picking up a high second rounder as compensation.

They could probably address NT with Taylor with the 1st FS with Williams , Moore or McDaniel and OLB with Justin Houston , Bruce Carter or Akeem Ayers with the two seconds.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #12
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the pick for two reasons...

1- Julio Jones would make this offense unstoppable. You cannot cover AJ, Julio Jones and Arian Foster at the same time. Matt Schaub would throw for 5,000 yards. Greatest show on Earth.

2- It would send a message to the defense. You don't need another top pick. You guys just need to play better. Mario needs to be dominant, so that ESPN couldn't even ignore it. Brian Cushing needs to be dropkicking offensive lineman again, charging with abandon again. Ryans needs to be the ultimate clean up man. AMOBI OKOYE needs to do SOMETHING. "Tying up blockers" aka GETTING BLOCKED all day does nothing. Congratulations on your charitable efforts but IT IS TIME TO PLAY FOOTBALL. Kareem Jackson, holy hell...you've set the bar so low if you had a completely average season it would be a divine miracle. Now you have a DC who absolutely has a track record of successful defenses. Needs won't be neglected throughout the draft but for the love of sweet, merciful Satan the offense has made chicken salad out of guys like Myers, Winston, Walter, Anderson, Jones, undrafted running backs, mid round TEs and multiple OCs. Give the offense a boost it deserves.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Q: In the past 10 years, how many Super Bowl Champions had two 1000 yard receivers?
A: One (2006 Colts).

Q: In the past 10 years, how many Super Bowl Champions had a top 10 defense?
A: Seven.

Julio Jones is a luxury on a team that has a top 10 offense, but one of the very worst defenses in the league. If the Texans ever want to become champions on the field rather than fantasy stat sheets, this defense must improve. Hoping that it will improve will not work.

This draft belongs to Wade Philips. I don't know if he deserves it. But, I know Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith don't deserve it. If Wade Phillips thinks he can improve this defense with Julio Jones, then they should pick him. Maybe he can rush the passer or cover a receiver. Or maybe they should let Wade draft the defensive player he thinks can make the biggest impact on what has been a horrific unit.

Find a draft in the history of drafts where a good pass rusher or corner could not be found at pick #11 or later. Don't waste your time, you can't. History says that there will be a defender available that can help this defense. It is incumbent on the Texans to find that player. For Wade Phillips to find that player. He doesn't deserve that pressure. But, thanks to the previous efforts of Kubiak and Smith, he's got it.
Old 04-07-2011   #14
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Find a draft in the history of drafts where a good pass rusher or corner could not be found at pick #11 or later. Don't waste your time, you can't. History says that there will be a defender available that can help this defense.
In hindsight that is probably the case but at 11 in the context of that moment in time there are times when there is not perceived value at 11.
Old 04-07-2011   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Even though I think it's absolutely the wrong thing to do... I can talk myself into the Julio Jones pick.

If you believe in the Best Player Available philosophy and if Julio Jones is there, he's probably your guy unless one of the great defensive prospects drops as well.

Personally, I think you have to look at what your team is missing as well as the talent of the players on the board. Without being able to see which of our defensive holes are filled via FA with high caliber signings, I think our defensive holes are too great to ignore in the first round. So you pick the guy you want most for the defense and screw it if people think it's a reach.

But if they decide to go BPA and take Julio Jones, I'll only be mad for a few minutes before I get on board with it.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Q: In the past 10 years, how many Super Bowl Champions had two 1000 yard receivers?

Julio Jones is a luxury on a team that has a top 10 offense, but one of the very worst defenses in the league. If the Texans ever want to become champions on the field rather than fantasy stat sheets, this defense must improve. Hoping that it will improve will not work.

This draft belongs to Wade Philips. I don't know if he deserves it. But, I know Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith don't deserve it. If Wade Phillips thinks he can improve this defense with Julio Jones, then they should pick him. Maybe he can rush the passer or cover a receiver. Or maybe they should let Wade draft the defensive player he thinks can make the biggest impact on what has been a horrific unit.

Find a draft in the history of drafts where a good pass rusher or corner could not be found at pick #11 or later. Don't waste your time, you can't. History says that there will be a defender available that can help this defense. It is incumbent on the Texans to find that player. For Wade Phillips to find that player. He doesn't deserve that pressure. But, thanks to the previous efforts of Kubiak and Smith, he's got it.
The only reason the St Louis Rams MAY not've had two 1,000 yard receivers is because they had multiple receivers that could make plays and a really good running back that could catch the football too.

Our offense doesn't have alot of depth at the WR position. In fact you could say that if Andre doesn't get hurt in our first 8-8 season, there's a chance we win 10 games. We were pretty lucky to go 8-8 because Andre Davis had a career year that year and Kevin Walter suprised everyone. Now, Kevin Walter isn't catching as many passes and Andre Davis is long gone. We have or may lose Jacoby Jones and then after that you got David Anderson, Trendon Holliday, and the dude from Pitt whose name I forget at the moment because he can't get on the field for some reason.

We are a top 10 offense but how do we rank when AJ messes up that ankle again? Our defense isn't going to to turn top 10 overnight because of some drafted rookie in the 1st round. It happens but not all the time and especially to a Houston Sports Franchise.

I'm not against not picking Jones for a really good defensive pick, but I'm not ignoring a WR that outperformed during the season, and at the combine while having an injured foot.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #17
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Quote:

This offense with a second competent receiver is a very scary thing. AJ can't do it all for ever. He needs a guy who wont drop the rock or can't get open. I agree we need D help, but you can't take substandard players in the top half of the draft and expect to get better. If JJ is on the board, and a trade down partner is not there, take him.
Old 04-08-2011   #18
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

If for no other reason than it would be a PR fiasco if the Texans used their top pick on a receiver, they aren't gonna go offense in the first round. And I'm not even saying it wouldn't be the smartest move, which it could be ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #19
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

#1 I am fine with Darius @ 1.
#2 Just say no to JJ at 11.

If we do not take a defender #11 or trade back I am going to be one mad son of a gun. Taking JJ #11 forces us to take Reed in round 2 which causes us to miss out on Rahim Moore, FS, UCLA, or Martez Wilson. I know there are some Reed fans here, but I am not one of them.

Also I dont see the Cards passing on Gabbert.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #20
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Even though I think it's absolutely the wrong thing to do... I can talk myself into the Julio Jones pick.

If you believe in the Best Player Available philosophy and if Julio Jones is there, he's probably your guy unless one of the great defensive prospects drops as well.

Personally, I think you have to look at what your team is missing as well as the talent of the players on the board. Without being able to see which of our defensive holes are filled via FA with high caliber signings, I think our defensive holes are too great to ignore in the first round. So you pick the guy you want most for the defense and screw it if people think it's a reach.

But if they decide to go BPA and take Julio Jones, I'll only be mad for a few minutes before I get on board with it.
This would be my reaction almost to the t.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read