Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-01-2004   #1
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Lightbulb DEFENSE wins championships

The more I think about what Houston did in the draft, the more excited I get about next season. Last season the weakest part of the Texans game was our defense. Not as much due to lack of talent as to the injuries suffered at every position on our D. Our 2 best DL got hurt, our LBs missed a few game and our pro-bowl DB was out most of the season.

But when you go back to the Texans 1st season, our D was the strength and when all our defensive players were healthy, we werent bad last year. But then you look at the additions.

CB: Dunta Robinson
This was the hardest hitting CB in the draft and he was the 2nd fastest. He was also considered by alot to be the best cover corner in the draft. Line him up opposite Glenn and we have a better CB combination then Glenn and Coleman, IMO.

Jason Babin:
Part of the reason our pass defense was so bad last year was the lack of QB pressure, and the main source of pressure in a 3-4 defense is the OLB. This guy runs a 4.6 40 and he is 260 lb. He has the speed to beat people of the edge and the size and experience at DE to be able to fight of blocks.

Glen Earl:
A PRE-SEASON ALL-AMERICAN and IMO the most impressive draft aquisition this year. He was labeled the hartest hitting safety at the begining of the 2004 season. If he is as good as he was expected to be then he will be a big upgrade over the safeties from last year I expect him to make a big impact on defense when he recovers from his injury.

With these additions to the defense and the progresion and maturity on offense I think we will shock the NFL even more than expected. We should make the playoffs and we even have a chance to win our division.
Old 05-01-2004   #2
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

I like the defensive additions too, they all will make our pass defense a whole lot better, and that is so important in the AFC South. The only question mark for me is the D-line.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004   #3
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

depth is the only thing that worries me. other than that, we're fine.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004   #4
777texans
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to 777texans Send a message via MSN to 777texans Send a message via Yahoo to 777texans

wow thakx for the info! I totally believe that!

GO TEXASN

Houston Texans first game(s) of the season
2-0
777texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004   #5
SESupergenius

Depth frightens the hell out me. We can easily lose 2/3rds of our line again and have Deloach/Iaone/Smith as our DL. A little better than last year but really pale in comparison to DL in our division. Our linbackers will be deep this year however. Our safeties should be pretty good in the depth department, but the CB's looks to have about the same as last year. This and DL area concern me because this is where we had the most problems last year. Any word on K. Wrights progress with his injury?
Old 05-01-2004   #6
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

Just to point out some similarities between Babin and another well known pass rusher taken in last year's draft:

Terrell Suggs:
HT: 6'4
WT: 257
40 yd time: 4.6

Jason Babin
HT: 6'2
Wt: 260
40 yd time: 4.6

If Babin can be half as productive sack-wise as Suggs was last year for the Ravens (12 sacks), I'd say he was a worthy pick up. C&C said they didn't see everything they wanted in Suggs last year, so if they saw it in Babin, he should be a pretty incredible pass rusher.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004   #7
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Not to take anything away from Suggs last year, but he also had Peter Boulware on the other side and Ray Lewis in the middle. None the less, I think Babin can put up 10 sacks if is the 3 down player that Capers talks about.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Sponsored links
Old 05-01-2004   #8
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

the only position we have a lack at depth at now is DL and OL...if you look at our DB's we have pretty good depth at it now...and LB's is the same...DL depth is a little discouraging...wish we could have re-signed steve martin...i would be more comfortable with him as a back up NT than Ioane...but who knows...UDFA isn't over yet
Old 05-01-2004   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 141386 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
Depth frightens the hell out me. We can easily lose 2/3rds of our line again and have Deloach/Iaone/Smith as our DL. A little better than last year but really pale in comparison to DL in our division.
Really? I agree that the Texans can't afford to lose Walker & Payne for the majority of the season again. But wouldn't the Titans be in the same boat if they lost Carter & Haynesworth? The Jags without Stroud & Henderson? The Colts without Freeney and...well just Freeney?

I think DeLoach & Sears are fine in reserve roles playing 15-20 snaps/game. It's when the snaps get extended is where their warts (and lack of conditioning) show.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004   #10
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
The Colts without Freeney and...well just Freeney?
LOL, but really who else is on the Colts line. I dont remember anyone but Freeney.

Old 05-01-2004   #11
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

The D-line is my biggerst concern on defense. But maybe this year we wont have any major D-Line injuries? Hopefuly the addition of Smith helps our D-line out.
Old 05-01-2004   #12
CaptainPatriot
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainPatriot

I still think the Texans should have gone with Vince Wilfolk or Kenechi Udeze with the 10th pick! Without pressure on the QB, Dunta Robinson will have a tuff hill to climb. 3-4 starts with the D-Line. I saw some clips on NFL Network on Kenechi Udeze in the Rose Bowl against Michigan wow very impressive size and speed to get to the QB and running backs. He was throwing 300 lb tackles like little kids or just ran past them. Looks like a bigger Jevon Kearse! He is only 21 too. The only knock is his shoulder. But Payne and Walker have their injuries too. Robaire Smith helps but you can never have enough D-line men. You can rotate them out the whole game. By the time 4th quarter comes around the D-line will have fresh legs. O-Line will be tired. Remember if Texans have same injuries to D-Line again it will be the same results. Hope Aaron Glenn injury is healed all the way. That type of injury takes a long time to heal. :-(
CaptainPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004   #13
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i think we'll be alright...i think everyone is going to be pleasantly surprised with renteria...i think he'll make the squad and might even push for one of the second string spots...i think you move deloach to the back up NT and sears behind walker then renteria behind smith...from what i've read he has more promise than martin and definately more than davis, slechta, and ioane...but that's just me
Old 05-01-2004   #14
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

This defense should be the best yet. Now that I have survived until the draft, I can't wait until preseason.
Old 05-01-2004   #15
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Not to take anything away from Suggs last year, but he also had Peter Boulware on the other side and Ray Lewis in the middle. None the less, I think Babin can put up 10 sacks if is the 3 down player that Capers talks about.

Well we have Sharper, and Walker. They are great players when they get things going. My only question is people getting hurt. If we can avoid excess or lengthy injuries we should be looking great come playoff time.
RiotCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004   #16
SESupergenius

Quote:
But wouldn't the Titans be in the same boat if they lost Carter & Haynesworth? The Jags without Stroud & Henderson? The Colts without Freeney and...well just Freeney?
No, because the use the 4-3, we use the 3-4. When 2 of our guys go down thats a bigger impact on the line than if 2 of theirs does.
Old 05-01-2004   #17
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotCommander
Well we have Sharper, and Walker. They are great players when they get things going. My only question is people getting hurt. If we can avoid excess or lengthy injuries we should be looking great come playoff time.
Boulware was on the opposite side as the other rush 'backer. Babin wont have a pro bowl pass rushing OLB next to him. Walker is a d-lineman. Sharper is good, but Ray Lewis strikes more fear into offense lineman.

Old 05-01-2004   #18
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Boulware was on the opposite side as the other rush 'backer. Babin wont have a pro bowl pass rushing OLB next to him. Walker is a d-lineman. Sharper is good, but Ray Lewis strikes more fear into offense lineman.

Suggs wasnt an every down player. they used him as a situational pass rusher. Babin, as a starter, should be able to put up 12 sacks like Suggs did.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004   #19
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Suggs wasnt an every down player. they used him as a situational pass rusher. Babin, as a starter, should be able to put up 12 sacks like Suggs did.
Good point Babin should get double digit sacks, but that makes Suggs' sack number even more impressive.

Old 05-01-2004   #20
Lucky

Rep Power: 141386 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
No, because the use the 4-3, we use the 3-4. When 2 of our guys go down thats a bigger impact on the line than if 2 of theirs does.
Yeah, but it's still 2 players that need to be replaced. In both instances reserves will see more action than that team would care for. I think my point was that the other teams in the AFC South, heck just about any NFL team, would have problems when 2 key starters on the defensive front are out for an extended period of time. Let's just hope it doesn't happen to the Texans again next year.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read