Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-29-2011   #41
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Take a stab at this years jaw dropping 1st round reach, with a later round grade

The biggest reach was the Seahawks taking James Carpenter, OT, Alabama. I dont think anybody saw that coming.

I also think Atlanta paying so much for Jones was crazy. I could see them mortgaging their future for Green, but not Jones.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #42
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Take a stab at this years jaw dropping 1st round reach, with a later round grade

I thought the Lions made a GREAT decision. That will be a really freaking nasty d line. And freaking mean. Not a nice guy one.
Old 04-29-2011   #43
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84010 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
The biggest reach was the Seahawks taking James Carpenter, OT, Alabama. I dont think anybody saw that coming.

I also think Atlanta paying so much for Jones was crazy. I could see them mortgaging their future for Green, but not Jones.
Either that or Ponder.

Both of those were, did you read the name right moments.
Old 04-29-2011   #44
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I kinda see the Falcons angle on the Jones pick. They can afford the luxury of giving away their draft for that guy, because they are only a player or two away from Super Bowl contention.

Atlanta is a perfect situation for Jones. Absolutely perfect. I'll tell you why:

1. They are a run-oriented team, which fits Jones because he is a devastating run blocker.

2. Jones projects as a #2 WR in the NFL, well that is okay because Atlanta already has a #1. With White taking all the pressure off of him, he will be one on one most of the time.

3. They have a great QB, great skill position players, and a solid o line. This may be the one piece they need to take the next step.

They still need another pass rusher. So they are gonna have to make the right decisions the rest of the way, because the top guys will be going off the board quickly.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #45
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Like most of y'all I was surprised at the Ponder and Carpenter picks.

Carpenter isn't a LT in the NFL. He is a RT or a OG. If they took him for that reason they will be disappointed. It is a reach, but hell, the guy is going to make a really good NFL player. So if he was the top guy on their board, and they couldn't trade back, might as well pull the trigger.

The Ponder pick, same thing. If he was their top guy, and they couldn't make a move, go ahead and take him. Ponder may very well be the most NFL ready QB in this class, but that isn't really saying much because this class isn't very talented. I wouldn't take him in the first, but I'm also not a NFL GM.

I'm really not a fan of any of these QBs as first round picks, but I understand the process and that QB is the most important position on the field.

Ponder may have been a reach, but at least the pick makes sense. They need a QB now and he is the most NFL ready.

The Gabbert pick makes sense. He needs time on the bench, and he will get that behind Gerrard.

The Locker pick makes sense. He needs time on the bench, and he will get that behind Collins. Hopefully. I think he might be a free agent.

The Newton pick makes no sense. He needs time on the bench, and he isn't likely to get very much of it. I get that he is a physical freak who just oozes talent, but he doesn't project to play right away in the NFL. They would have been better served by taking A.J. Green and then taking a QB later on. The only way this pick makes sense is if they let Newton sit for at least a full year. Which isn't likely because Carolina is going to suck and the pressure to get him out there will be tremendous.
Old 04-29-2011   #46
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I kinda see the Falcons angle on the Jones pick. They can afford the luxury of giving away their draft for that guy, because they are only a player or two away from Super Bowl contention.

Atlanta is a perfect situation for Jones. Absolutely perfect. I'll tell you why:

1. They are a run-oriented team, which fits Jones because he is a devastating run blocker.

2. Jones projects as a #2 WR in the NFL, well that is okay because Atlanta already has a #1. With White taking all the pressure off of him, he will be one on one most of the time.

3. They have a great QB, great skill position players, and a solid o line. This may be the one piece they need to take the next step.

They still need another pass rusher. So they are gonna have to make the right decisions the rest of the way, because the top guys will be going off the board quickly.
I disagree. I hear they wanted Green more and tried to move up to 4 but missed out with the Bengals. I think the Falcons are gambling big time with their future. And if they were 1 or 2 players away from the SB they wouldnt have been run out of their own building by the Packers.

Bottom line is they were desperate and desperate people do crazy stuff. Jones is not the 6th best player in my book and the ransom they paid was ludicrous.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #47
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I disagree. I hear they wanted Green more and tried to move up to 4 but missed out with the Bengals. I think the Falcons are gambling big time with their future. And if they were 1 or 2 players away from the SB they wouldnt have been run out of their own building by the Packers.

Bottom line is they were desperate and desperate people do crazy stuff. Jones is not the 6th best player in my book and the ransom they paid was ludicrous.
First off, it's not like the Packers are some sort of scrub team or anything. They did end up winning it all...

I don't think Jones is the 6th best player in this draft. I'm not even really sure if he is the 15th best player. I have him ranked lower than most. But he was going to go early, he fits their scheme perfectly, and with White across from him he won't be receiving double coverage. The Falcons just wanted that #2 across from White badly enough to go up and get him.

I'm not saying I would have done what they did. I wouldn't have. I'm just saying I think I see why they did it. We'll see how smart they really are in the next couple of days. The draft isn't over yet.
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2011   #48
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

As a Browns fan, I love it! :-D

The browns are still rebuilding, so this is very fortunate for them to get 6 picks for the price of 1.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read