Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-10-2011   #21
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Take a stab at this years jaw dropping 1st round reach, with a later round grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
In fact didn't Green Bay trade up to get Clay, using a 2nd & two 3rd's?
Yes, they did. New England was their trading partner. The trade netted the Pats Darius Butler, Brandon Tate, and (after another draft trade for a '10 pick) Rob Gronkowski. Good players. But who wouldn't trade them for Clay Matthews? Belichick got the raw end of that deal.

It's ironic that Capers found his Kevin Greene OLB in Matthews (after a trade up) after swinging and missing with a similar draft trade in Houston for a OLB (Jason Babin). You win some and you lose some. The Texans just seem to lose more than their share. Which is why I'm against the Texans burning draft picks to move up.

My 1st round jaw dropper? Colin Kaepernick. I said back in January that Kaepernick could become the best QB in this draft. He's a similar athlete to Cam Newton, but with more experience. I can see one of the teams that misses out on a QB early (Minnesota or Tennessee) trading up into the late 1st for Kaepernick.
Old 04-10-2011   #22
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Take a stab at this years jaw dropping 1st round reach, with a later round grade

The Falcons draft Kyle Rudolph to understudy from Gonzales next yr. Then he will take over for Gonzales in yr 2.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011   #23
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Yes, they did. New England was their trading partner. The trade netted the Pats Darius Butler, Brandon Tate, and (after another draft trade for a '10 pick) Rob Gronkowski. Good players. But who wouldn't trade them for Clay Matthews? Belichick got the raw end of that deal.

It's ironic that Capers found his Kevin Greene OLB in Matthews (after a trade up) after swinging and missing with a similar draft trade in Houston for a OLB (Jason Babin). You win some and you lose some. The Texans just seem to lose more than their share. Which is why I'm against the Texans burning draft picks to move up.

My 1st round jaw dropper? Colin Kaepernick. I said back in January that Kaepernick could become the best QB in this draft. He's a similar athlete to Cam Newton, but with more experience. I can see one of the teams that misses out on a QB early (Minnesota or Tennessee) trading up into the late 1st for Kaepernick.
Quite possibly the difference in projecting picks along with fit + need in a system is how a players skill set has been developed & to what extent does he exhibit certain characteristics your looking for. Certainly Babin had the explosion, high motor, strength & speed to be a 4-3 DE but never had to play or develop LB skills so those questions needed to be answered before signing off on him to make such a move. In other words Casserly & his scouts did not do their due diligence & projected the wrong grade to Capers that Jason had linebacking skills needed in a 3-4 OLB. Matthews played outside LB at USC, showed he had great intincts to rush the passer & wreck havoc behind the line of scrimmage, while dropping into coverage as needed, his projection to a 3-4 OLB was a no brainer.

Kaepernick is a very interesting QB who a team must sign off that his skill set projects to the NFL level. He seems more athlete than QB to me. It will be very important for him to get a Head Coach/QB coach with track record of developing QB's, I just don't think anyone can bring the best out of him.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011   #24
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In other words Casserly & his scouts did not do their due diligence & projected the wrong grade to Capers that Jason had linebacking skills needed in a 3-4 OLB.
The problem with Babin wasn't "linebacker skills". It was that he didn't get to the QB often enough. 13 sacks in 3 seasons wasn't going to cut it. Had he become the pass rusher in Houston that we saw in Tennessee last season, he would have been a great pick and Casserly would have been applauded for a great trade.
Old 04-10-2011   #25
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
The Falcons draft Kyle Rudolph to understudy from Gonzales next yr. Then he will take over for Gonzales in yr 2.
Good choice. I actually see this as highly likely.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011   #26
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Trading back into the bottom of the 1st rd and taking Reed or Taylor should be an option. As well as trading down.

If Rick and Gary were to trade back into the bottom of the 1st rd. BoB would have to pay two 1st rd slot $$$$. BoB's not likely to do that during a lockout. It wouldn't make good business sense and we all know BoB's all about business. I wouldn't blame BoB for this though. The lockout precludes dong everything you can to put the best team on the field as possible.
I would be a huge fan of trading back into the 1st to get Brooks Reed, especially if we have the opportunity to take Julio or Watt/Jordan at 11.

The similarities between us and GB in this situation are pretty interesting. Packers had the 9th overall where they took BJ Raji.... then traded back up to 26 with NE to take Matthews. We've got the 11th overall and are discussing trading up with NE at 28. 2 spots after GB in each case. As far as $'s go, Clay is earning about the same that the other 3 players earn combined. I don't think GB is upset at all about that though. And if Bob think he can get similar production out of Reed, then its a no brainer.

I think a more likely scenario may be us trading down from 11 and taking Brooks Reed 18-early/mid 20's.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard

Last edited by Ole Miss Texan; 04-11-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011   #27
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I would be a huge fan of trading back in the 1st to get Brooks Reed, especially if we have the opportunity to take Julio or Watt/Jordan at 11.

The similarities between us and GB in this situation are pretty interesting. Packers had the 9th overall where they took BJ Raji.... then traded back up to 26 with NE to take Matthews. We've got the 11th overall and are discussing trading up with NE at 28. 2 spots after GB in each case. As far as $'s go, Clay is earning about the same that the other 3 players earn combined. I don't think GB is upset at all about that though. And if Bob think he can get similar production out of Reed, then its a no brainer.

I think a more likely scenario may be us trading down from 11 and taking Brooks Reed 18-early/mid 20's.
As of right now I have him projected to New England with their 2nd first rd. selection #28 snapping him up just before Jets, Steelers or God forbid the Packers can add him along side their other hybrid 3-4 OLB's.

Think they use 17th pick on a 5 tech DE (JJ Watt) doubt they would trade up for Cameron Jordon. However they could be tempted to trade that 28th pick if Julio Jones somehow falls to #11 (Brady might tug the hoodie hard enough to get a new weapon)? then Texans could get Brooks (value embedded, extra 2nd) while addressing need.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2011   #28
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As of right now I have him projected to New England with their 2nd first rd. selection #28 snapping him up just before Jets, Steelers or God forbid the Packers can add him along side their other hybrid 3-4 OLB's.

Think they use 17th pick on a 5 tech DE (JJ Watt) doubt they would trade up for Cameron Jordon. However they could be tempted to trade that 28th pick if Julio Jones somehow falls to #11 (Brady might tug the hoodie hard enough to get a new weapon)? then Texans could get Brooks (value embedded, extra 2nd) while addressing need.
You know Brady would love that. Move down to 28 and then hope Tampa Bay, Kansas City, New Orleans don't take Reed. LOL
Old 04-11-2011   #29
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm gonna say it's Andy Dalton that someone reaches for but not sure who.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011   #30
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

This thread is tailor made for Cam Newton....i actually think Carolina will pick this dude #1 overall....new coach trying to make a statement.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011   #31
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
This thread is tailor made for Cam Newton....i actually think Carolina will pick this dude #1 overall....new coach trying to make a statement.
I wouldnt call Cam Newton to the Panthers as jaw dropping. Also Cam grades as a first round QB.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011   #32
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I wouldnt call Cam Newton to the Panthers as jaw dropping. Also Cam grades as a first round QB.
Yeah, but does he grade as a no. 1 overall pick though? By them taking him no. 1 overall, they're basically saying he's the best player in the draft....we know that not to be the case...he's arguably not even the best qb of the crop.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #33
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Andy Dalton to the Colts @ 22

Anyone who takes Cam Newton in the 1st...
Good call on both.

I really think Andy Dalton is going to go 1st round...possibly in the top 15.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #34
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
Good call on both.

I really think Andy Dalton is going to go 1st round...possibly in the top 15.
I cant see that. I really cant. I think he is going to be selected high #2 for the teams that need a QB but passed at the top of round 1.
Old 04-20-2011   #35
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81206 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought Mallett would be taken way too high.

But since he missed an interview with the Panthers GM because he was too hungover, I think the possibility of that has passed.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #36
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
I thought Mallett would be taken way too high.

But since he missed an interview with the Panthers GM because he was too hungover, I think the possibility of that has passed.
Are you kidding me? What happened!? hahaha
Old 04-28-2011   #37
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State to Jags @ 16.
Like I said, Ponder @ 12 haha!
Old 04-28-2011   #38
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Like I said, Ponder @ 12 haha!
Nice! I picked Locker in late 1st but the tits took him at 8!!
Old 04-28-2011   #39
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Falcons did make this drafts jaw dropper, just not Kyle, not even that it was Julio but what they traded away to get him

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-29-2011   #40
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Falcons did make this drafts jaw dropper, just not Kyle, not even that it was Julio but what they traded away to get him
The Falcons paid an exorbenant price.

But with weapons like White, Jones, Turner and Gonzales, Ryan is going to have a huge yr and the Falcons are going to put up alot of points.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read