Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-15-2011   #101
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Right Track" coach? - Kubiak not even in the top 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyTExan View Post
LOL, Kubiak had an interview on the draft and no one seems to care (me included). 1 response on the main board, lulz.
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2011/04/...he-odd-couple/
Due to all the CBA crap, I think the draft as a whole will take a big hit this year, no matter the team or coach. I reckon much of the 'less' hard core fans won't be tuning in as much as in the past.

Goodell is going to take an absolute beating from the fans at the draft as soon as he comes up to the poduim. He'd be better off allowing some gumby to do it. Ha
Old 04-15-2011   #102
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91487 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Due to all the CBA crap, I think the draft as a whole will take a big hit this year, no matter the team or coach. I reckon much of the 'less' hard core fans won't be tuning in as much as in the past.

Goodell is going to take an absolute beating from the fans at the draft as soon as he comes up to the poduim. He'd be better off allowing some gumby to do it. Ha
The NFL draft was already ruined for me last season with that whole several day on prime time bullshit they started.I made sure that my tv was barely ever on so I wouldn't contribute to ratings. I've always loved the all day Saturday thing.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011   #103
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 80689 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
manage the team and the game on both sides of the ball
I know I've said it before but according to ND Kalu Andy Reid didn't even talk to the defense the year they went to the SB. In fact he said he was there 6 years and he only saw Reid on that side of the practice facility a hand full of times.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011   #104
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
I know I've said it before but according to ND Kalu Andy Reid didn't even talk to the defense the year they went to the SB. In fact he said he was there 6 years and he only saw Reid on that side of the practice facility a hand full of times.
That's because Reid knew he had someone competent (Jim Johnson) on that side of the ball.

Here's what has bothered me about Kubiak (among many other things). Kubiak sees this defense every day in practice, going against the offense. As an offensive "genius", shouldn't he have realized that he had a defense that was crap? Scheme-wise, technique-wise, talent-wise. Kubiak had to know that the defense was bad? Right? Couldn't he look at the game tape and see the problems?

Nope. Every week after a loss, Kubiak was dumbfounded as to why the defense wasn't getting it done. His answer? "Frank is doing a heck of a job". Clueless. How is it possible to know so much about offense (supposedly) and be that ignorant of defense?

But I'm a hater, so what do I know...
Old 04-15-2011   #105
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
That's because Reid knew he had someone competent (Jim Johnson) on that side of the ball.

Here's what has bothered me about Kubiak (among many other things). Kubiak sees this defense every day in practice, going against the offense. As an offensive "genius", shouldn't he have realized that he had a defense that was crap? Scheme-wise, technique-wise, talent-wise. Kubiak had to know that the defense was bad? Right? Couldn't he look at the game tape and see the problems?

Nope. Every week after a loss, Kubiak was dumbfounded as to why the defense wasn't getting it done. His answer? "Frank is doing a heck of a job". Clueless. How is it possible to know so much about offense (supposedly) and be that ignorant of defense?

I don't think Kubiak is a genius of any sorts (I know you weren't calling him one).
His offenses have been good, not great.

But the thing is, in practice it's a little harder to tell what's what...Guys are so used to going against each other that it's hard to tell how good everyone really is. Then you add the fact that you have "practice squad heroes" and it really gets hard to tell. Everyone isn't going game speed in all of the drills.

In camp it should be a little easier to tell what individuals are good, but you still don't know how they will be as a unit because it's so early.

I've been out to multiple Texans practices (as I'm sure a lot of people have) and guys rarely look as bad as they do when the real games start...i.e Kareem Jackson. Now way he looked as bad in practice as he did in the games this past year.

If you think about it, they don't really go all out at practice that often. I don't think they do much full speed/full contact stuff during the season....So really the best time to evaluate is in scrimmages against other teams and pre-season...

My problem with Kubiak is that he's slow reacting. I think he has gotten a bit better at it, but his track record has been poor in that area. I can't fault him for the first year or two of not knowing exactly what was what on defense...But after that he should have been more pro-active in fixing problems because he has so much time to evaluate them...By year three he had two seasons worth of games to go off of...forget practice...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011   #106
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I have always said that Gary Kubiak likes being the smartest man in the room. No challengers to the throne, so to speak. He'll "talk up" the Shanny Jr.'s and the Frank Bush's of the NFL world because he knows that he needs lesser people around him in order to solidify McNair's dependency upon him (Kubiak). It's the old trick of surrounding yourself with lesser people so that you look taller and more majestic when compared to them.

And then along came Wade Phillips....

Wade is the litmus test, IMO. It's either going to be that Gary could screw up a peanut butter sandwich OR Gary finally had the problem of a bad defense solved and it did the trick. Wade Phillips is a legitimate "NFL man" the likes of which hasn't been alongside Kubiak since maybe Mike Sherman. Ray Rhodes is iffy because of the medical situation that cuts him out of the equation in terms of the amount of "reach" he has on the team. All in all, the defensive staff has been just as pedestrian as the secondary players getting drafted and shoved out onto the field.

I trust nothing that any of the Texans personnel says about the defense. It's so far behind the 8-ball it's not even funny. It's as woeful as that last season of offense led by David Carr; just unbearable to watch on Sunday. If Wade Phillips turns it around, he deserves a key to the city.
Old 04-16-2011   #107
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I have always said that Gary Kubiak likes being the smartest man in the room. No challengers to the throne, so to speak. He'll "talk up" the Shanny Jr.'s and the Frank Bush's of the NFL world because he knows that he needs lesser people around him in order to solidify McNair's dependency upon him (Kubiak). It's the old trick of surrounding yourself with lesser people so that you look taller and more majestic when compared to them.

And then along came Wade Phillips....

Wade is the litmus test, IMO.
where do mike sherman & alex gibbs fit into this theory?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-16-2011   #108
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 299943 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
They don't. Neither does Phillips.
Old 04-17-2011   #109
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Capers was a better HC than Kubiak. Capers was saddled with Carr and an expansion roster. McNair and Casserley screwed the pooch when they drafted an overrated Carr as the face of the franchise. You can't win with crap at QB. It's a scientific fact. And dont bother bringing up The Dilfer Paradox. He was at least serviceable and could read a defense.
Let's not forget Dan Reeves. He was supposed to have the experience & football knowledge to be able to tell McNair if it were a talent problem (GM) or a scheming problem (HC).

Just imagine if McNair knew what was what, fired Casserly & hired Ted Thompson in 2005. OF course that would have been after our 7-9 season and wouldn't have made much sense.
Old 04-17-2011   #110
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

Really good question.

I guess during practice, it is clearly understood what is supposed to happen, and what everyone is supposed to do.

On game day, they have to make their reads pre-snap & figure out what is most likely going to happen. For our safeties to be out of position so much, I'm betting no one on the field had a clue.

I blame it on poor preparation, poor instruction from the coach.
Old 04-17-2011   #111
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Just imagine if McNair knew what was what, fired Casserly & hired Ted Thompson in 2005.
Thompson took the the Packers GM job in 2005 and immediately cut 3 starters off their division winning 10-6 squad. Then he took Aaron Rodgers in the 1st round, with Favre still on the team. The Packers went 4-12 in 2005, with Packers fans (and Favre behind the scenes) calling for Thompson's head.

The Rodgers pick in hindsight looks like a luxury pick. But, Favre was hinting at retirement after every offseason. The Packers felt that one day, he would be serious. Rodgers was obviously a "best player available" type pick. But a need pick, as well.
Old 04-17-2011   #112
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
They don't. Neither does Phillips.
Do you really think Kubiak had any say in the Wade Phillips hiring? I don't believe in GP's "Smartest Guy in the Room" theory. But, I do believe that Kubiak wouldn't know a good DC if he saw one. I do know he's never gone out and selected a good DC, on his own.
Old 04-17-2011   #113
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Guys I would rank lower than Kubiak:

AFC West - the Broncos guy (can't recall his name). He screwed up the Cutler situation, IMO. He screwed up the Brandon Marshall situation, IMO. He's an arrogant ass, IMO. He took Tebow in the first round. He has had awful seasons both years. Chiefs, Chargers, and Raiders (Cable) all rank ahead of Kubiak, IMO.

NFC South - you could argue John Fox, I guess, but in all honesty, I'd take him with our personnel over Kubiak and the Panthers' personnel. I think they're about equal, actually. John Fox:offense::Kubiak:defense. Bucs, Saints, and Falcons are a very strong trio of coaches.

NFC North - Childress is just awful.
Kubiak is in the bottom quarter of coaches, I reckon.
3 of those guys are even coaching those teams anymore.
Josh McDaniels is OC for St Louis Rams
John Fox is HC for Denver Broncos, but he's been to the SB before.
Brad Childress is awful yes, but he's not a coach anymore. And went to 3 playoffs game, should've been in the SB if it wasn't for Brett Favre stupid Interception.
Old 04-17-2011   #114
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 299943 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do you really think Kubiak had any say in the Wade Phillips hiring? I don't believe in GP's "Smartest Guy in the Room" theory. But, I do believe that Kubiak wouldn't know a good DC if he saw one. I do know he's never gone out and selected a good DC, on his own.
Never claimed Kubiak was good at hiring DC's. Clearly he hasn't been so far. But he has hired folks with better resumes than his own.
Old 04-18-2011   #115
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 290612 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
I don't know about GP's theories, but these guys were never a threat to Kubiak to take his job as HC. Gary has never had someone on staff that 'threatened' his position, iirc.

Wade changes all of that. If Gary fails, I have very little doubt that Wade would take the job in a heartbeat. Wade has a solid resume, and one that I'm sure Mr. McNair has read.
Old 04-18-2011   #116
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I don't know about GP's theories, but these guys were never a threat to Kubiak to take his job as HC. Gary has never had someone on staff that 'threatened' his position, iirc.

Wade changes all of that. If Gary fails, I have very little doubt that Wade would take the job in a heartbeat. Wade has a solid resume, and one that I'm sure Mr. McNair has read.

I wonder if Wade would keep Gary on as OC in the event he took over as HC .....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011   #117
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 290612 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I wonder if Wade would keep Gary on as OC in the event he took over as HC .....
Very unlikely in the big NFL picture (i.e. history), but if it ever could happen, I wouldn't doubt that these niiiiiice coaches and niiiiiice owner would pull it off.

It sure would be a nice change for the forum to be bitching about our yearly one-and-done in the playoffs instead of when the heck will we ever get to the playoffs! hehe
Old 04-18-2011   #118
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Very unlikely in the big NFL picture (i.e. history), but if it ever could happen, I wouldn't doubt that these niiiiiice coaches and niiiiiice owner would pull it off.

It sure would be a nice change for the forum to be bitching about our yearly one-and-done in the playoffs instead of when the heck will we ever get to the playoffs! hehe
I was being more sarcastic than anything ..... but yeah , I could see Bob and Wade doing just that. They could do much worse.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011   #119
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
I was being more sarcastic than anything ..... but yeah , I could see Bob and Wade doing just that. They could do much worse.
yep, figured on the sarcasm and was just adding my own. If I don't laugh at it all I'll go crazy.
Old 04-18-2011   #120
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LOL, I actually never thought of that. Brilliant!

If I were Bob I would go ahead and make Gary the OC, Wade the DC and then hire Cowher. Cowher would let Gary and Wade run their respective squads but I would have Bill there just to walk along the sidelines looking pissed and scaring the living daylights out of the players. I'd also have Bill send all the players to Detroit in the offseason to live and work out and get tough... then they come back and have Bill yell at them during practice. I would pay the three handsomly for their contributions too.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read