Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-06-2011   #21
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Right Track" coach? - Kubiak not even in the top 13

This really isn't news to anyone, we've all known that Kubiak was a good offensive coordinater but a very poor head coach, except Bob McNair.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #22
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Are we surprised? What progress has Kubiak shown, other than stats?
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #23
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to see how well Caldwell does without Payton Manning.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #24
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I'd like to see how well Caldwell does without Payton Manning.
Manning would make even the worst coach look good .... Its obvious that he was dealt a winning hand but he didnt change or deviate from that and try to put his own stamp on the team which many ego's would have done.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #25
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 300089 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to see the W/L records of all current head coaches (except for new HCs that don't have them, of course), as well as how many have been a head coach for five seasons without going to the playoffs.

At the end of the day, this is how we judge NFL head coaches, not with offensive/defensive rankings or stats, but wins, losses, and postseason appearances. Based on this approach, I'd bet that Kubiak falls somewhere in the 20's.
Old 04-06-2011   #26
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 219370 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I'd like to see the W/L records of all current head coaches (except for new HCs that don't have them, of course), as well as how many have been a head coach for five seasons without going to the playoffs.

At the end of the day, this is how we judge NFL head coaches, not with offensive/defensive rankings or stats, but wins, losses, and postseason appearances. Based on this approach, I'd bet that Kubiak falls somewhere in the 20's.
I believe that Kubiak is the only coach in the modern era to coach for 5 seasons consecutively with the same team without making the playoffs. To the best of my knowledge, the closest a coach has done that's similar recently would be Jeff Fisher who took over for Pardee and then after that had 4 seasons without a playoff and then made it in his 5th full season.

The only other coach that comes to mind was Landry who made it to the playoffs in his 7th season.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #27
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I believe that Kubiak is the only coach in the modern era to coach for 5 seasons consecutively with the same team without making the playoffs. To the best of my knowledge, the closest a coach has done that's similar recently would be Jeff Fisher who took over for Pardee and then after that had 4 seasons without a playoff and then made it in his 5th full season.

The only other coach that comes to mind was Landry who made it to the playoffs in his 7th season.
In the modern era I believe the only other one was Bart Starr.
Old 04-06-2011   #28
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
McDaniels was fired after starting 3-9 last year. The new Broncos head coach is John Fox.

Cable was fired.

Really? Not better than Chan Gailey? Or the Dolphins coach?

I'd rate him better than both those guys.

Fox is in Denver. Rivera is the new Panthers coach.

Childress was fired.

Mora? He was fired before last season. Pete Carroll is the Seahawks coach now and coached them all last year.

A couple of years ago, most of the people on this board would easily have taken Singletary over Kubiak. Not sayin, just sayin.

I take Kubiak over Shanahan.
I thought it was pretty clear that I was ranking Kubiak against the coaches from last year, as it's pretty impossible to rank him against new coaches. Gailey and Carroll I forgot about. The others were intentional comparisons. I'd say Cable did a better job than Kubiak has done, for instance. His firing is incidental to the argument. And I don't think Kubiak is better than the Dolphins coach, either. JMO.
Old 04-06-2011   #29
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

For the sake of the sanity of us fans ..... Lets hope Gary gets his shit together this coming season (If there is one) , the team can avoid serious injuries .... and they not only make the playoffs but make a deep run.

Its past time for the team , the city and the fans to catch a break or two .... Its really sucked to be a Houston sports fan the last few years with all three major franchises sucking like a $5 whore.

Old 04-06-2011   #30
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 82763 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Kubiak's a Head Coach .... not an offensive coordinator. His job is to oversee both sides of the ball , not just one or the other.

Ive given Kubiak a lot of slack .... much more than most , and I have my reasons ... but his job isnt just offensive coordinator , thats Dennisons job description.

Kubiak has to manage the team and the game on both sides of the ball with the help of his assistants .... not the other way around.
i agree BUT since he will be our coach next year i'm curious to see how we do now that he dont have to deal with the defense like he has all his previous seasons. We all know he is not a defensive minded coach.
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #31
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 82763 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
For the sake of the sanity of us fans ..... Lets hope Gary gets his shit together this coming season (If there is one) , the team can avoid serious injuries .... and they not only make the playoffs but make a deep run.

Its past time for the team , the city and the fans to catch a break or two .... Its really sucked to be a Houston sports fan the last few years with all three major franchises sucking like a $5 whore.
5$ whores dont suck as good as they have though. dont give them whores to much credit why else would they be 5$
Old 04-06-2011   #32
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i agree BUT since he will be our coach next year i'm curious to see how we do now that he dont have to deal with the defense like he has all his previous seasons. We all ASSUME he is not a defensive minded coach.
Edited for clarity.

And you know what that word means.

Quote:
5$ whores dont suck as good as they have though. dont give them whores to much credit why else would they be 5$
I guess $5 dont buy what it use to .....

Old 04-06-2011   #33
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84758 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Edited for clarity.

Dude, the gas pump barely blows for $5
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #34
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I think Kubiak is a great coach, he finally has someone who can run the Defense and he can focus purely on the offense now.
This is one person who has this opinion.

I'm sure there are more, but it is rarely expressed.

The soapers would have you believe this is the prevalent opinion, though the majority of opinions on this board reflect the view of the soapers.
Old 04-07-2011   #35
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

The soapers would have you believe this is the prevalent opinion, though the majority of opinions on this board reflect the view of the soapers.
And what, exactly, has Kubiak done in his HEAD coaching career to make anyone think otherwise? How many top-tier DEfenses has he fielded as opposed to high-powered OFfenses?

I'll venture to say that there are MANY folks who wondered if Kubiak would be a good overall coach...Years later, we're all still wondering.
Old 04-07-2011   #36
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 300089 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I talk to Texans fans from all walks of life. Clients who are multi-millionaires working international deals to regular truck drivers making deliveries to our warehouse. Friends, family, and random strangers that see the logo on my hat. Almost all of them wonder why Kubiak still has a job. I think this off-season the prevalent mood among Texans Nation is more likely to be on the side of so-called "soapers".

The Sunshine Club has worn out it's welcome with continuous unfulfilled promises year after year. All but the most optimistic homers see 37-43 and no playoffs in five seasons for what it is at the end of the day.

All of these folks are still Texans fans, though. Just not happy shiny fans.
Old 04-07-2011   #37
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Edited for clarity.

it dont
Old 04-07-2011   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I talk to Texans fans from all walks of life. Clients who are multi-millionaires working international deals to regular truck drivers making deliveries to our warehouse. Friends, family, and random strangers that see the logo on my hat. Almost all of them wonder why Kubiak still has a job. I think this off-season the prevalent mood among Texans Nation is more likely to be on the side of so-called "soapers".

The Sunshine Club has worn out it's welcome with continuous unfulfilled promises year after year. All but the most optimistic homers see 37-43 and no playoffs in five seasons for what it is at the end of the day.

All of these folks are still Texans fans, though. Just not happy shiny fans.
I agree. I argue no different.

Just saying.
Old 04-07-2011   #39
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:

i dunno
Old 04-08-2011   #40
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
LMFAO @ Caldwell #13...bwahahahahaha

I swear that dude's dumber than Kubiak.
wrong. kubiak called a timeout so caldwell could take a second look at a Texans touchdown. that is a head to head matchup. caldwell was dumb not to throw the flag initially but Kubiak stupidity and ignorance trumped caldwell's on a head to head matchup when Kubiak called a timeout so he could take a few seconds off the clock. well in the end, Texans touchdown overturned and the Colts got the ball as the ball was fumbled into the endzone.

All Kubiak had to do was have Schaub do a QB spike and we probably win that game, go 10-6, and probably find a way into the 09 playoffs.

So in that matchup, Kubiak is clearly dumber than Caldwell.

Kubiak would be my worst coach in the league with 3 years or more service, and probably my 3rd worst overall better than only Mangini, McDaniels (fired), and Cable (fired). So basically other than noobie coaches, Kubiak is only better than Mangini, and maybe Gailey.
Go through the list. It's actually pretty sad how many coaches are better, more proven, and more successful than Kubiak. Not hard, I know, but still.

Every NFC West coach is better. Whisenhunt, Caroll, Spagnulo. Harbaugh is new.
Every NFC East coach is better. Shanahan, Reid, Coughlin. Garrett is new.
Every NFC South coach is better. Payton, Morris, Smith. Rivera is new.
Every NFC North coach is better. Smith, Schwartz, McCarthy. Frazier is new.
Every AFC South coach is better. Del Rio, Caldwell, and Munchak is new and Kubiak may be better than him. He is in over his head imho.
Every AFC East coach is better. Belichick and Ryan are no brainers. Sparano is close, but he is better and Gailey is arguably better but I will give nod to Gary.
Every AFC North coach is better besides Mangini and he is basically dead man walking. Harbaugh, Undercover Brother, and Marvin Lewis are better.
Every returning AFC West coach is better as well.

its pretty sad. We could have the best coach available, Cowher, but its more important to placate losers and make excuses as opposed to doing everything possible to win and to put the best product on the field. As long as the yayhoos and yokels in this city keep making excuses and supporting a piss poor product, we will continue to be the Chicago Cubs of the NFL. and that is NOT a compliment. loyal fans and a pathetic team. hoooooray Houston.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read