Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-05-2011   #1
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 120726 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default "Right Track" coach? - Kubiak not even in the top 13

Quote:
Ranking the Head Coaches
1. Bill Belichick, New England Patriots
2. Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers
3. Andy Reid, Philadelphia Eagles
4. Mike McCarthy, Green Bay Packers
5. Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints
6. Tom Coughlin, New York Giants
7. Rex Ryan, New York Jets
8. Lovie Smith, Chicago Bears
9. Mike Smith, Atlanta Falcons
10. M. Shanahan, Washington Redskins
10. John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens

Others receiving votes:
12. Ken Whisenhunt
13. Jim Caldwell
Link

Kinda hard to argue when your coach hasn't taken you to the playoffs after 5+ years.
Old 04-05-2011   #2
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Right Track" coach? - Kubiak not even in the top 13

I cant see Shanahan being in the top 10 - He hasnt done a thing since .... John Elway retired. Guy's like that can make just about any dumbass look like a great coach. :Broncopa: ..... errr :Redskinpalm:

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #3
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 23300 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

LMFAO @ Caldwell #13...bwahahahahaha

I swear that dude's dumber than Kubiak.
Old 04-05-2011   #4
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Guys I would rank lower than Kubiak:

AFC South - no one. Del Rio would be the obvious choice to rank lower than Kubiak, but for all his failings, he gets his team to the playoffs more frequently than Kubiak has. It's close, though. Del Rio's better by a nose.

AFC North - Marvin Lewis. Yeah, he's been to the playoffs, but he's lost his team, fostered an environment where anything goes, and he seems to make the same mistakes again and again. The jury's out on the Browns, IMO.

AFC West - the Broncos guy (can't recall his name). He screwed up the Cutler situation, IMO. He screwed up the Brandon Marshall situation, IMO. He's an arrogant ass, IMO. He took Tebow in the first round. He has had awful seasons both years. Chiefs, Chargers, and Raiders (Cable) all rank ahead of Kubiak, IMO.

AFC East - no one.

NFC South - you could argue John Fox, I guess, but in all honesty, I'd take him with our personnel over Kubiak and the Panthers' personnel. I think they're about equal, actually. John Fox:offense::Kubiak:defense. Bucs, Saints, and Falcons are a very strong trio of coaches.

NFC North - Childress is just awful. Lions are on the upswing, so while I don't know that I'd rank the Lions HC ahead of Kubiak, I'll not rank him below, either. Bears and Packers are solid, obviously.

NFC West - I think I'd take Kubiak over the Rams HC, but it's tough to say just yet. That guy inherited a team as bad as the '05 Texans, and he's rebuilding. If he plateaus for a few years at 8-8, then I guess it's a coin toss. I think Mora is a good coach, but I don't think he's better than Kubiak. The jury is out on the new 49ers coach, but Singletary was a disaster. And I can't say I'd rather have Kubiak than the Cards HC (Whisenhut/Whisenhunt?), but not sure the other way either. This is the worst division in football.

NFC East - The jury's still out on Garrett, but I'd take Kubiak over Jerry Jones every day and twice on Sunday. Shanahan is about equal, IMO. He grossly mishandled the McNabb situation, IMO, and didn't show very well this year at all. I guess the jury is still out on him, but since Kubiak is Shanahan cloned, I'll just rank them equal and not lose any sleep over it. Reid and Coughlin are solid, obviously.

Kubiak is in the bottom quarter of coaches, I reckon.
Old 04-05-2011   #5
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Kubiak is a great coach, he finally has someone who can run the Defense and he can focus purely on the offense now.
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #6
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Guys I would rank lower than Kubiak:

AFC South - no one. Del Rio would be the obvious choice to rank lower than Kubiak, but for all his failings, he gets his team to the playoffs more frequently than Kubiak has. It's close, though. Del Rio's better by a nose.

AFC North - Marvin Lewis. Yeah, he's been to the playoffs, but he's lost his team, fostered an environment where anything goes, and he seems to make the same mistakes again and again. The jury's out on the Browns, IMO.

AFC West - the Broncos guy (can't recall his name). He screwed up the Cutler situation, IMO. He screwed up the Brandon Marshall situation, IMO. He's an arrogant ass, IMO. He took Tebow in the first round. He has had awful seasons both years. Chiefs, Chargers, and Raiders (Cable) all rank ahead of Kubiak, IMO.

AFC East - no one.

NFC South - you could argue John Fox, I guess, but in all honesty, I'd take him with our personnel over Kubiak and the Panthers' personnel. I think they're about equal, actually. John Fox:offense::Kubiak:defense. Bucs, Saints, and Falcons are a very strong trio of coaches.

NFC North - Childress is just awful. Lions are on the upswing, so while I don't know that I'd rank the Lions HC ahead of Kubiak, I'll not rank him below, either. Bears and Packers are solid, obviously.

NFC West - I think I'd take Kubiak over the Rams HC, but it's tough to say just yet. That guy inherited a team as bad as the '05 Texans, and he's rebuilding. If he plateaus for a few years at 8-8, then I guess it's a coin toss. I think Mora is a good coach, but I don't think he's better than Kubiak. The jury is out on the new 49ers coach, but Singletary was a disaster. And I can't say I'd rather have Kubiak than the Cards HC (Whisenhut/Whisenhunt?), but not sure the other way either. This is the worst division in football.

NFC East - The jury's still out on Garrett, but I'd take Kubiak over Jerry Jones every day and twice on Sunday. Shanahan is about equal, IMO. He grossly mishandled the McNabb situation, IMO, and didn't show very well this year at all. I guess the jury is still out on him, but since Kubiak is Shanahan cloned, I'll just rank them equal and not lose any sleep over it. Reid and Coughlin are solid, obviously.

Kubiak is in the bottom quarter of coaches, I reckon.
This was well thought out and I agree with you for the most part. Only thing I wasnt on board with what you said was the part of the Bucs having a better head coach. Raheem Morris and Co. are nothing more than benefactors of circumstance. Look at the teams they beat last year, I promise, they arent as good as their record shows.

Good post nonetheless.
Old 04-05-2011   #7
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I think Kubiak is a great coach, he finally has someone who can run the Defense and he can focus purely on the offense now.
Not a great head coach. Big difference.
Old 04-05-2011   #8
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Kubiak's a Head Coach .... not an offensive coordinator. His job is to oversee both sides of the ball , not just one or the other.

Ive given Kubiak a lot of slack .... much more than most , and I have my reasons ... but his job isnt just offensive coordinator , thats Dennisons job description.

Kubiak has to manage the team and the game on both sides of the ball with the help of his assistants .... not the other way around.

Old 04-05-2011   #9
wildroot
Veteran

Rep Power: 1945 wildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Gary wants to be a OC he should have kept his job in Denver. Great Head Coaches are involved in every facet of their team, they don't wash their hands of one side of the ball.
wildroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildroot View Post
If Gary wants to be a OC he should have kept his job in Denver. Great Head Coaches are involved in every facet of their team, they don't wash their hands of one side of the ball.
Kubiak didnt "wash his hands" of the defensive side of the ball , not by a longshot ....
He just didnt have a whole lot of talent to work with in the secondary. Then suspensions and injuries kept the team from ever fielding their intended starting defensive front seven.

Remember the team was 4-2 when Ryans was lost for the season ..... even if the defense didnt perform well in those games they performed .... less piss poor enough to go 4-2

Old 04-05-2011   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
This was well thought out and I agree with you for the most part. Only thing I wasnt on board with what you said was the part of the Bucs having a better head coach. Raheem Morris and Co. are nothing more than benefactors of circumstance. Look at the teams they beat last year, I promise, they arent as good as their record shows.

Good post nonetheless.
Just as Kubiak and the Texans weren't as good as their 2009 record due to the schedule.

Morris won 10 games last yr. When did Gary win 10 games?

Fox made to a SB and several NFC championship games > Gary

Del Rio makes playoff and does more with less > Gary

Caldwell makes SB as a rookie HC and the playoff with a badly injued team > Gary

Whisenhunt almost won a SB with the Cards for gods sake > Gary

Marvin Lewis made the playoffs with the god awful Bengals 2 yrs ago > Gary

And on And on And on......
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #12
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Gary and great coach in the same sentence = LOL

What's your definition of great? 5-7 four yrs in a row. Yeah that's greatness.
Old 04-05-2011   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Kubiak's a Head Coach .... not an offensive coordinator. His job is to oversee both sides of the ball , not just one or the other.

Ive given Kubiak a lot of slack .... much more than most , and I have my reasons ... but his job isnt just offensive coordinator , thats Dennisons job description.

Kubiak has to manage the team and the game on both sides of the ball with the help of his assistants .... not the other way around.
PM me with your reasons

I just cant cut him slack and not having hope for the upcoming season is a bummer.
Old 04-05-2011   #14
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Kubiak didnt "wash his hands" of the defensive side of the ball , not by a longshot ....
He just didnt have a whole lot of talent to work with in the secondary.
He should fire the guy that's in charge of drafting then, because 2010 had not one player from the '05 team left.
Old 04-05-2011   #15
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
He should fire the guy that's in charge of drafting then, because 2010 had not one player from the '05 team left.
Not only drafting but FA aquisition ..... He tried to sign one FA CB and .... after that guy went back to NE , he did .... well , nothing.

Yes , I know Kubiak said he was happy with his kiddie corps secondary , but what do we really expect him to say ? They suck ? They arent good enough to win with ?
If you were in that position could you say those things and then expect those players to go out and give you anything ? (not that they did anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
PM me with your reasons

I just cant cut him slack and not having hope for the upcoming season is a bummer.

Doesnt really matter , I dont have much hope for the upcoming season either.

Old 04-05-2011   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 254692 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
McDaniels was fired after starting 3-9 last year. The new Broncos head coach is John Fox.

Cable was fired.

Quote:
AFC East - no one.
Really? Not better than Chan Gailey? Or the Dolphins coach?

I'd rate him better than both those guys.

Quote:
Fox is in Denver. Rivera is the new Panthers coach.

Quote:
Childress was fired.

Quote:
Mora? He was fired before last season. Pete Carroll is the Seahawks coach now and coached them all last year.

A couple of years ago, most of the people on this board would easily have taken Singletary over Kubiak. Not sayin, just sayin.

Quote:
I take Kubiak over Shanahan.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
A couple of years ago, most of the people on this board would easily have taken Singletary over Kubiak. Not sayin, just sayin.
What has either accomplished? One was fired, the other should have been fired.

Quote:
I take Kubiak over Shanahan.
That must be based on gut feel. Because it can't be based upon accomplishments.

After 5 seasons, are we still talking about Kubiak's "potential" as a head coach? I can't help but be reminded of David Carr's "potential".
Old 04-05-2011   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 254692 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
What has either accomplished? One was fired, the other should have been fired.
My point was that people on this board would be just as good at picking coaches as McNair has been.

Quote:
That must be based on gut feel. Because it can't be based upon accomplishments.
Shanahan has been less successful without Kubiak than Kubiak has been without Shanahan. Kubiak took over a talentless team and built a very powerful offense (granted, no defense.) Shanahan during that time started with a team that was pretty talented and went 9-7, 7-9, 8-8, and then was fired, and then when he came back, he's mishandled several situations.

Quote:
After 5 seasons, are we still talking about Kubiak's "potential" as a head coach? I can't help but be reminded of David Carr's "potential".
No. We're not. But that's also no reason to act like Kubiak hasn't done anything good for this team or that this team is the worst team ever.

I've said several times that I would have fired him after last season. But with David Carr, there were no redeeming features. With Kubiak, there are. And there's every possibility that this team will be a playoff team next year.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
And there's every possibility that this team will be a playoff team next year.
If they can play defense ..... a little less bad , just bad instead of historically bad , there is no reason they shouldnt make the playoffs. If they can turn clusterf@ck into a top 15 defense , they could easily win the division.

Old 04-06-2011   #20
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But that's also no reason to act like Kubiak hasn't done anything good for this team... And there's every possibility that this team will be a playoff team next year.
Kubiak hasn't accomplished anything "good". 5 years without a playoff appearance isn't good. It isn't even mediocre. Jack Del Rio has taken his team to the postseason once in the past 5 years. There's every reason to "act" like you're not satisfied with the job Kubiak has done. Unless you're Bob McNair and his Sunshine Band.

There was every possibility that this team could have been a playoff team in 2008. 2009. 2010. But they weren't. There's no way to describe what Gary Kubiak has done over the past 5 years as good, unless you compare him to lowest standards of franchises like the Lions. The truth is that Kubiak received another gift year from McNair. Let's see if he takes advantage of it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read